Jump to content

2018-19 NHL General Discussion Thread


dlbalr

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Neech said:

I don't think anything definite can be said about Kotka's ceiling at this point, there's a chance he's just solid two way player with nowhere near the offense of Boeser.  I'd guess that most neutral observers would rate Boeser as a better prospect at this point.

 

Surprised about Quenneville, doesn't he speak French? 

 

Boeser's ceiling is basically being Max Pacioretty. 

 

As we saw with Pacioretty trading Wingers for Centres is damn near impossible.  Teams value centres (even those who score a little less than Pacioretty) as being more valuable than he is.  Its just the way things are. 

 

So if Kotka even turns into Ryan O'Reilly where he is putting up 55-65 points every year, and Boeser is the perennial 35g 70 pt guy... teams are going to value the centre more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

At what age can you sign undrafted players? My cousins kid went undrafted for two years, but has looked pretty good so far this year. Here's 19.

Pretty sure teams can draft him until 20. If he’s not drafted at 20, teams can sign him in UFA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

If you saw a 70+ point centre in Kotkaniemi. Why wouldn't he be your lock at #3. 

Because he didnt see him play as an 18 year old vs NHLers before the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

If you saw a 70+ point centre in Kotkaniemi. Why wouldn't he be your lock at #3. 

 

Because puck moving defenceman are also highly valuable and Hughes is also very, very good.  A potential 60+ point defenceman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

At what age can you sign undrafted players? My cousins kid went undrafted for two years, but has looked pretty good so far this year. Here's 19.

 

If they are Under 20 and play in the CHL, then they can only be signed during the summer (or in training camp).  Once they go back to their junior team, they re-enter the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Because puck moving defenceman are also highly valuable and Hughes is also very, very good.  A potential 60+ point defenceman.

An elite c prospect would have been a no brainer. 

 

I just hope people are keeping expectations in check with Kotkaniemi. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

An elite c prospect would have been a no brainer. 

 

I just hope people are keeping expectations in check with Kotkaniemi. 

 

 

I believe in best player available and not positional need with drafting.

 

My rankings are also not based on any one team, they are all bpa

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alzner in Juulsen out? Assume Juulsen injured or sick?

Agostino said practising on 2nd PP unit.

 

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Shaw

Agostino-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Deslauriers-Peca-Hudon

Benn-Petry

Alzner-Reilly

Ouellet-Mete

 

Price

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Domi and Shaw on the same line. Let's see if it turns out into a beautiful display of hockey skills ... or a brawl  

 

Go Habs Go! Play .500++ and win this one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question.... How much do you think Montreal would have to eat out of Alzner 's contract to trade him? 

 

The other option is to talk Seattle into taking him at the expansion draft. If that cant happen then the only other option is to buy him out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Question.... How much do you think Montreal would have to eat out of Alzner 's contract to trade him? 

 

The other option is to talk Seattle into taking him at the expansion draft. If that cant happen then the only other option is to buy him out.

 

With four years left on the contract, they'd be in tough even with the max 50% unless they were taking a pricey contract back.

 

The other option is simply to hold onto him.  It's not a popular one but it's not as if his contract is really all that burdensome right now since they're so far below the Upper Limit.  I don't think he's going to magically improve but as long as they're this much under the cap, they may as well hold onto him.  When the time comes where they really need that space, he'll, in theory, be easier to trade since there won't be as many years left on the contract.  Failing that, the buyout is at least a lot shorter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

With four years left on the contract, they'd be in tough even with the max 50% unless they were taking a pricey contract back.

 

The other option is simply to hold onto him.  It's not a popular one but it's not as if his contract is really all that burdensome right now since they're so far below the Upper Limit.  I don't think he's going to magically improve but as long as they're this much under the cap, they may as well hold onto him.  When the time comes where they really need that space, he'll, in theory, be easier to trade since there won't be as many years left on the contract.  Failing that, the buyout is at least a lot shorter.

 

Basically like Toronto with Horton and Philly with MacDonald - why fix a cap problem when it isn't currently a problem? Cross that cap-anchor bridge when we get to it.

 

And then burn it. And then nuke it from space. 

 

Still, would be nice to have a player more fitting to the team than Alzner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Pacioretty- 2 points in 12 game. Yikes 

He is very streaky.

Galchenyuk starting out better 6pts in 7gms, but has only taken and lost 3 faceoffs on the PP,  so not sure if being used much at centre?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd been predicting immanent decline for Patches for a while, and this slump is suggestive. He will of course go on a tear eventually  but his decline will likely be marked by longer slumps and fewer hot streaks. I have a feeling we moved him at just the right time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DON said:

He is very streaky.

Galchenyuk starting out better 6pts in 7gms, but has only taken and lost 3 faceoffs on the PP,  so not sure if being used much at centre?

He did take 77 faceoffs in 7 games.  I'd say he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canuckleheads score 8 (!) on the Prunes as Jaro Halak (whose presence in Beantown reminds me of the Habs signing of Andy Moog at the tail end of his career) turns into a pumpkin. 

 

Amazingly, Van did it without Brock Boeser and with Pettersson being held off the scoresheet. I can't see it lasting, but right now they're up there with the Habs as an early-season Cinderella story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DON said:

He is very streaky.

Galchenyuk starting out better 6pts in 7gms, but has only taken and lost 3 faceoffs on the PP,  so not sure if being used much at centre?

I've been waiting for that hot streak. It probably will happen, but CC is right about a possible decline 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

He did take 77 faceoffs in 7 games.  I'd say he is.

dela Rose 67 FO in 6 games, so you agree Galchenyuk seems is in a bottom six centre role, if he is playing centre. 0 for 3 combined on the PP and PK, so Toccett does not have much faith in him at centre neither (so far anyways).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DON said:

dela Rose 67 FO in 6 games, so you agree Galchenyuk seems is in a bottom six centre role, if he is playing centre. 0 for 3 combined on the PP and PK, so Toccett does not have much faith in him at centre neither (so far anyways).

He's playing with Clayton Keller... so no, I don't think they see him as a bottom 6 centre.

He doesn't take faceoffs on PP because Stepan takes them on PP1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

dela Rose 67 FO in 6 games, so you agree Galchenyuk seems is in a bottom six centre role, if he is playing centre. 0 for 3 combined on the PP and PK, so Toccett does not have much faith in him at centre neither (so far anyways).

 

He's playing centre on their top line at 5 on 5 with Clayton Keller and Lawson Crouse

 

He's playing LW on the power play with Derek Stepan playing centre. 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/arizona-coyotes/line-combinations/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...