July 28, Maple Leafs vs Habs, 8 PM

dlbalr

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The purpose of the play-in will be to try to win. Not to focus on next year. There is a syndrome in hockey where it seems the future and past are always more important to fans than the present. We need to ice our best line-up. Does that include Weise? Probably not. But it’s for a whole other reason than “he’s not a youngster”. 

I’m actually someone who prefers letting young players marinate in that minors.  Having said that I think we have a better chance if one of the youngsters surprises, than the crappy uselessness I know we are going to get from Weise, Belize or Ouellet.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I dont care how old weise is.

I care that Evans and Hudon are both better players right now.

I think even Poehling is better than Weise and I think. fleury, mete, or Juulsen are better options than Ouellet and Folin.  The fact that they are younger and have more upside for the future is a bonus, because they also have more upside if being better in the play-in.  It’s a perfect time to play them, since expectations are even lower than 1985 Penny from

heaven 1985  or the 2010 Halak stop sign playoffs.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think even Poehling is better than Weise and I think. fleury, mete, or Juulsen are better options than Ouellet and Folin.  The fact that they are younger and have more upside for the future is a bonus, because they also have more upside if being better in the play-in.  It’s a perfect time to play them, since expectations are even lower than 1985 Penny from

Juulsen, no one yet knows how he will handle defending NHL speed again?

I think Mete is OKish 2nd pairing or good 3rd pairing and Fleury is just raw, but i like his physical game

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not sure on poehling.  He didnt impress me in the NHL this season.  Only 1g 1a in 20 something games.  Hes got potential but didnt look ready.

Agree on the defence.  Ouellet shouldnt play.  Folin doesnt seem to be a consideration though, so thats good.

50 minutes ago, DON said:

Juulsen, no one yet knows how he will handle defending NHL speed again?

I think Mete is OKish 2nd pairing or good 3rd pairing and Fleury is just raw, but i like his physical game

I agree we don’t know what Juulsen is, will be, or can be.  What we do know is Ouellet and Folin are crap.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not sure on poehling.  He didnt impress me in the NHL this season.  Only 1g 1a in 20 something games.  Hes got potential but didnt look ready.

Agree on the defence.  Ouellet shouldnt play.  Folin doesnt seem to be a consideration though, so thats good.

Poehling did not look good, but I think I’d rather see what he can do in a short series, than what I know we are getting from Weise.   It saying he should be the first choice, but I’d rather gamble on someone who can be better than someone who is washed up and probably even knows himself that he’s done in the NHL.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m actually someone who prefers letting young players marinate in that minors.  Having said that I think we have a better chance if one of the youngsters surprises, than the crappy uselessness I know we are going to get from Weise, Belize or Ouellet.

One of those names doesn't belong in there.  Belzile, despite his age, is actually a prospect.  He's a late-bloomer and certainly hasn't played enough to be thrown in the useless category yet.

13 hours ago, DON said:

... I think Mete is OKish 2nd pairing or good 3rd pairing ...

Respectfully disagree ... IMO Mete is not good enough defensively to play 2nd pairing minutes ... he is a 3rd pairing defenceman 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

One of those names doesn't belong in there.  Belzile, despite his age, is actually a prospect.  He's a late-bloomer and certainly hasn't played enough to be thrown in the useless category yet.

I agree ...  because of his age Belzile has a very short window as a NHL prospect ... likely bottom 6 at best but not yet only an AHLer

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ...  because of his age Belzile has a very short window as a NHL prospect ... likely bottom 6 at best but not yet only an AHLer

It's not a good sign that in his first game, he got absolutely demolished.

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Respectfully disagree ... IMO Mete is not good enough defensively to play 2nd pairing minutes ... he is a 3rd pairing defenceman 

He may be a "tweener," who sometimes gusts up to being a #4, but I suspect that you are correct. Remember all the breathless excitement when he came up? 🙄

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... He may be a "tweener," who sometimes gusts up to being a #4, but I suspect that you are correct. Remember all the breathless excitement when he came up? 🙄

He became hugely popular because he was an unexpected, and pleasant, surprise in the midst of an absolute tire fire of a 17/18 season ... but I think he was overrated not by performance but by comparison to the journeymen (or journeymen to  be) defencemen that filled out the habs Defence after Weber and Petry (i.e., Brandon Davidson, Mike Reilly, Jakub Jerabek, David Schlemko, Joe Morrow, Jordie Benn, Karl Alzner) ... it lead to unrealistic expectations ... he would IMO have greatly benefited from another season in London ... it might have given him the opportunity to develop the offensive skills he badly needs to offset his very average (or worse) defensive skills.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's not a good sign that in his first game, he got absolutely demolished.

He may be a "tweener," who sometimes gusts up to being a #4, but I suspect that you are correct. Remember all the breathless excitement when he came up? 🙄

If he gains confidence and his offence keeps improving..i love his wheels going end to end very quickly or covering on the backend catching guys

3 minutes ago, DON said:

If he gains confidence and his offence keeps improving..i love his wheels going end to end very quickly or covering on the backend catching guys

He made a good playing accepting a pass on his reverse on the right side and walking the line before sending a (weak) shot on net

He is elite on skates, but pushed off the puck easily and with a weak shot

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Have to admit I am not an "advanced stats" guy ... just go with my opinion formed by watching him play ... 

He's not there yet, and he needs to improve his shot, but Mete has potential to be a Brian Rafalski type. 

His ability to skate, retrieve loose pucks, get the puck up the ice quickly, keep up with his man and force him to the outside, he's tough to beat one on one due to his skating... all of that leads to strong defensive game despite the fact he can get pushed around from time to time. 

I agree that Mete can be a respectful top 4 guy. 

On the other hand, i don’t agree that Evans or Poehling bring much more to the table than Weise right now. Hudon I could argue for, but even him. 

37 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree that Mete can be a respectful top 4 guy. 

On the other hand, i don’t agree that Evans or Poehling bring much more to the table than Weise right now. Hudon I could argue for, but even him. 

Evans i think is better than Weise and both Hudon and Weise could help Laval if they play a season..

5 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'm not sure what Weise even brings to the table.  He's on the third PK unit but he's not particularly strong defensively.  He's a non-factor at best at the offensive end.  Evans can win a faceoff (RH complement to Domi on the 4th line) and kill penalties while providing more offensive upside.  Hudon is a riskier play as he's even shakier than Weise in his own end but has more upside offensively.  Poehling is basically what Weise is now - a bigger body that can kill a few minutes but despite the season he had in Laval, he was actually better offensively than Weise still.  All of them have some upside but Weise, I suppose, is viewed as the safest of the group.

Weise has the experience and won't make many mental errors.  That's gotta be the answer. 

That said, who cares if he doesn't make mental errors.  He's gonna get beat on talent, cause he's just not good enough. 

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

He's not there yet, and he needs to improve his shot, but Mete has potential to be a Brian Rafalski type. 

His ability to skate, retrieve loose pucks, get the puck up the ice quickly, keep up with his man and force him to the outside, he's tough to beat one on one due to his skating... all of that leads to strong defensive game despite the fact he can get pushed around from time to time. 

That is definitely the "style/type" of player Mete should aspire to be.

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Weise has the experience and won't make many mental errors.  That's gotta be the answer. 

That said, who cares if he doesn't make mental errors.  He's gonna get beat on talent, cause he's just not good enough. 

Like I say...NHL coaching culture is ridiculously conservative and risk-averse. They'd rather lose by "getting beat on talent" than take a chance on winning with a guy who might "make mental errors."

But that being said, as tedious as it is to watch Weise plod around out there, games and series are not generally decided by the choice of 12th FW - especially considering that opposing coaches are probably also going to make a stupid lineup decision here or there. Dressing Weise is at best a marginally relevant choice which makes very little difference to any aspect of the Habs' fate.

Romanov helps Evans/Weal/Suzuki/Gallagher? prepare for some physical play from Pittsburgh...