Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As a team with Cup aspirations, they may well have better uses for that dough than sinking it into that piece of crap KK 🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Depends entirely on whether they feel he still has the upside that led them to sign the (I-M-O) illegally agreed to extension that was an unwritten part of the RFA offer sheet.

From my perspective I view this as trading a useless Gallagher for a player that might not be as useless. 

I don’t like or dislike KK and perhaps he might be a decent third line winger. 

No risk involved 

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

From my perspective I view this as trading a useless Gallagher for a player that might not be as useless. 

I don’t like or dislike KK and perhaps he might be a decent third line winger. 

No risk involved 

Perhaps not for the Habs, but why would Carolina want Gallagher.

I wouldn’t be averse to signing KK either, although where he would slot in the lineup is a good question. He’s likely not good enough to be a 3rd C (and we still have that the infinitely-forgettable Dvorak on the roster anyhow), so he’d really need to be used at W. I don’t know how, or whether, he has a track record in that role. It might be an intriguing experiment, though.

My guess is he wouldn’t want to come back here anyhow. It would reek too much of admitting failure and he could probably do without all the attention.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I don't see why anyone would want Gallagher even at 50% retention. He will likely be for the rest of his contract what he is this year, a hard working, hard driving slow right winger who will give everything he has and score 8-12 goals a year, maybe 15 in a good year. 

29 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He will likely be for the rest of his contract what he is this year, a hard working, hard driving slow right winger who will give everything he has and scored 8-12 goals a year, maybe 15 in a good year. 

And that likley at most ... he could get slower and be more injury prone from the wear & tear to which he has subjected his body over his career.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The only hope is that Carolina thinks Gallagher’s net presence can help them. 

It was a silly proposal based on rumours of Carolina considering buying KK out. 

How about this old roster?

A.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Latendresse-Lapierre-S.Kostitsyn
Bégin-Smolinski-Dandenault
Chipchura, Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Streit
Bouillon-Gorges
Brisebois, O’Byrne

Price-Huet

What a dog’s breakfast on defence 💩

Habs are certainly looking MUCH better on defence now. 

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Chipchura, Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Streit
Bouillon-Gorges
Brisebois, O’Byrne

Price-Huet

Haha, that seems significantly worse than the 2011-12 roster you (?) shared earlier. 

Although if you take a closer look…

Hamrlik was a quality D-man, certainly a legit top-3 guy. Despite a lack of pedigree, Streit proved to be an excellent offensive defenceman who we stupidly threw away. Nothing wrong with that bottom pairing either. The real outlier is Komisarek, a #5 being used in a top-pairing role. Poor Markov, carrying that bag of shite on his back.

FW unit is even more of a mess. Drunken Bum Kostitsyn on the 1st line, Higgins on the 2nd, Fats and Lapierre being bumped a line above where they should be, Other Drunken Bum S. Kostitsyn in a significant role. We basically had two fourth lines and whole lot depending on the mercurial moods of a certain Alexei Kovalev (who I loved, but who should never have been relied on to drive play on the nightly).

What probably made this lineup seem better than it really was, was the youth involved. Guys like the Kostitsyns, Pleks, Higgins, Latendresse, Lapierre, and Komi were all young up-and-comers (Price too). Some, like Price, A. Kostitsyn, Higgins, and Fats, had good pedigree. They were the subject of much fan excitement. Much as our young guns are today.

So as I think about it, this roster is really a cautionary tale. We should keep in mind that our reaction on this very board to this lineup was pretty similar our reaction to our current team: “we have loads of young talent, our window will open soon, just wait 2-3 years!”

Hopefully this rebuild works out better than that one. 

He did not d so well with Barron, Heineman and Smiliac. 

lets hope the draft picks all turn out to be as good as Slafkovsky 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He did not d so well with Barron, Heineman and Smiliac. 

lets hope the draft picks all turn out to be as good as Slafkovsky 

Smilanic was a throw-in and Heineman as a very secondary piece in the trade for a conditional first ... only Barron was a central piece in a deal ... I expect it was the best deal available for a player that, if I recall, Bergevin had essentially "forced out" by choosing to re-sign Armia the previous summer, leaving no cap space to re-sign the pending RFA.

31 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Ok these are the best lines combos since 2007 season. I was shocked that the Habs made the list but even more shocked at which line it was. 

IMG_0348.jpeg

Was that 2021? I always said that team was seriously under-rated…

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I guess I’m considering the player Gallagher is now as compared to what he was. 

Danault was an underrated centre here. 

He was. Although it's worth remembering that he had an absolutely horrible season, offensively, in 2020-21 (his last year with us). The playoffs were really his coming out party, where he established himself as an elite shutdown C, despite contributing little offensively. We should remember that nearly everyone on this board preferred to let him walk than to have Bergevin sign him to the contract that he got with LA.

Such a shame about Gally's bloated contract. (Although I'm sure he's not crying about it). In the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world of sports fandom, it does tend to overshadow his heroic efforts of the previous seven or eight seasons.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

...efforts of the previous seven or eight seasons.

I would say "of his first 9 seasons" ... the last three seasons, even effort has not been able to overcome his decreasing ability to consistently keep up with the play.

We should remember that nearly everyone on this board preferred to let him walk than to have Bergevin sign him to the contract that he got with LA.

That is true, still think it was the right decision. Signing Danault would have made us better in the short term but still well short of being a playoff contender. He is 31 now, we needed to rebuild. 

• Like 1

He was. Although it's worth remembering that he had an absolutely horrible season, offensively, in 2020-21 (his last year with us). The playoffs were really his coming out party, where he established himself as an elite shutdown C, despite contributing little offensively. We should remember that nearly everyone on this board preferred to let him walk than to have Bergevin sign him to the contract that he got with LA.

Such a shame about Gally's bloated contract. (Although I'm sure he's not crying about it). In the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately world of sports fandom, it does tend to overshadow his heroic efforts of the previous seven or eight seasons.

I completely forget about the season where Danault’s offence dried up. He was asking for around 6 million if I recall and Bergevin would only go 5.5 or something close to that. 

I also remember McDavid crying and having fits because Danault put him in his back pocket. 

I’m not sure if Danault should have been signed or not. It’s a really close call. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is true, still think it was the right decision. Signing Danault would have made us better in the short term but still well short of being a playoff contender. He is 31 now, we needed to rebuild. 

Yup, losing Danault was one key link in the chain reaction that led the Habs to bottom out. We lost Weber (#1 d-man), Price (franchise goalie), Danualt (best C), not to mention important supplemental pieces like Lehks and Perry. 

I'd thought that KK could replace Danault. But then we lost KK too. And subsequent history has shown that KK is barely an NHLer, let alone a replacement for Philip Danault.

In retrospect, it seems truly incredible that management thought they could lose all those pieces and NOT need to rebuild. MB tried another patch-up job and this time - unlike his brilliant efforts over the summer of 2020 - it blew up in his face.

Would keeping Danault have sufficed to staunch the bleeding? Probably not. And then we could have flipped him for a nice haul of assets. So in a way, signing him would have still been the right move, unless we gave him a NTC. 

On 3/27/2024 at 9:48 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Chipchura, Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Streit
Bouillon-Gorges
Brisebois, O’Byrne

Price-Huet

We won the division and finished 2nd in the East, 4th overall in the league that year.  Beat the Bruins in round 1 and got eliminated by Philly (and R.J. Umberger) in 5 games in round 2. 

26 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

We won the division and finished 2nd in the East, 4th overall in the league that year.  Beat the Bruins in round 1 and got eliminated by Philly (and R.J. Umberger) in 5 games in round 2. 

It was the classic wildcard/playoff-team roster but almost impossible that they would win the Cup ... like the Canadiens of the last 3+ decades ... hope to make the playoffs and PRAY

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m not sure if Danault should have been signed or not. It’s a really close call. 

It may been a close call at the time but looking back I am glad they didn't sign him. Where would we be now if they had signed him?  No doubt in the short term we would have been better, stronger up the middle, maybe a bubble team for the playoffs. Certainly not a contender. Danault is a good player. 

We wouldn't have been able to draft Slafkovsky and instead we would have a 31 year old center making approx 6M a year for the next few years.  I think the pain was worth it.