February 10, 2022 7PM. Washington Capitals vs Montreal Canadiens

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, DON said:

Just too bad Edmundson never has returned, losing he, Petry and Weber, as well as #1 goalie, seems just way too deep a defensive black hole to climb out of.

When is a vet waiver goalie pick-up coming? Seems 'bit' overdue already, not sure what waiting for, Primeau to be permanently scarred from the crappy d playing like they are?

They dont want to use one of the two remaining roster spots if they can avoid it as it will limit trade deadline and college signing flexibility 

It's quite interesting to see how many folks have completely soured on Petry, as if he's the first player on this team to have tuned out a coach. I guess he could give the "Standard NHL player post game interview" and not speak what he might really think. Or, is it a case that a player is allowed to heap praise, but not be critical? I mean, hey Petry, go out and play like a #1 defenseman because the Habs don't have one, and oh yeah, do it with Kulak. Also, please don't complain and be positive 24/7. Thanks!

1 hour ago, DON said:

Just too bad Edmundson never has returned, losing he, Petry and Weber, as well as #1 goalie, seems just way too deep a defensive black hole to climb out of.

When is a vet waiver goalie pick-up coming? Seems 'bit' overdue already, not sure what waiting for, Primeau to be permanently scarred from the crappy d playing like they are?

I believe it is because of the number of NHL contracts and already planning to replace McNiven in the off season with probably Montembeault (contract wise)

Having three injured goalies on IR already makes it difficult, I thought Hugh-Gort's specialty was dealing with those situations... but heck, what do I know :spamafote:

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

I believe it is because of the number of NHL contracts and already planning to replace McNiven in the off season with probably Montembeault (contract wise)

Having three injured goalies on IR already makes it difficult, I thought Hugh-Gort's specialty was dealing with those situations... but heck, what do I know :spamafote:

They can heal people?

Just now, huzer said:

They can heal people?

they can put Montembeault on IR, since he seems to be hurt. Send Primeau to the AHL and trade for one of the current unsigned goalies:

1. Devan Dubnyk
2. Jeremy Helvig
3. Jake Kielly

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Yes they were brought in to magically increase the number of contract spots or make sure that guys dont get injured?

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

they can put Montembeault on IR, since he seems to be hurt. Send Primeau to the AHL and trade for one of the current unsigned goalies:

1. Devan Dubnyk
2. Jeremy Helvig
3. Jake Kielly

Ir players count against the 50 contract limit.

Dubnyk is also so.washed up that the canadian Olympic team didnt want him as one of their 3 when he was publically campaigning for a spot.

The other 2 are not NHL goalies.  We are going to sign one so what, as soon as we sign jordan harris, we cant sign struble or any other NCAA kid?  That seems short sighted for a rebuilding team.

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

1. Devan Dubnyk
2. Jeremy Helvig
3. Jake Kielly

No need to trade for any of those ... they are all UFAs

You were correct in your above response to Don ... signing them, or anyone else (e.g., Kevin Poulin), would use up the 49th of 50 NHL contracts teams are allowed to have ... ideally there needs to be a trade, giving up nothing of any long-term value, for a Montembeault-ish goalie to plug a hole but preserving the two remaining open contract slots for 2021-22 ... hopefully one is needed to sign Jordan Harris ... slots may also be useful at the deadline.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I don't think those will be permanent scars. But he needs to get his game back together and it's not going to happen in the NHL at this point.

I think they'd be looking to do some kind of trade rather than another waiver pickup as they are pretty close to the contract limit.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ir players count against the 50 contract limit.

Dubnyk is also so.washed up that the canadian Olympic team didnt want him as one of their 3 when he was publically campaigning for a spot.

The other 2 are not NHL goalies.  We are going to sign one so what, as soon as we sign jordan harris, we cant sign struble or any other NCAA kid?  That seems short sighted for a rebuilding team.

Hey, I am not as stupid and ignorant of contract limits as you may think. Cool down buddy

we are just chatting here for the pleasure of it, not trying to win the debate tournament

... at least not me 

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Hey, I am not as stupid and ignorant of contract limits as you may think. Cool down buddy

we are just chatting here for the pleasure of it, not trying to win the debate tournament

... at least not me 

Im perfectly calm.

I also just stated facts about hockey.  I didnt take any shots at you.   I merely gave my thoughts on three suggeted goalies.  Thats the point of the conversation, no?

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

1) i dont blame petry on any of the goals last night.  All of them are plays an NHL goalie should make.  No one can prevent 100% of shots.  The goal of defending is to force those shots to be less dangerous.  The team did that.  The goalie letting in softies is not on the defence.  That doesnt excuse petry's earlier play. But he did nothing wrong last night.

I agree that none of the four goals would have required CAREY PRICE-level performance to make a save.

But on that first goal, there were three Habs chasing Justin Schultz, Timbits hockey-like, and no one covering Snively. Yeah, a bad rebound, but there was no Hab D-man looking for that, only Snively.

And on the fourth (and second Snively) goal, it was Petry covering Snively. He wasn't very effective, though, so Snively got a good shot away.

So, my take is that there were two goals fully on Primeau, and two where the defence could also have taken away the scoring chance. Defence-wise, that's still a significant improvement over the recent trends.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think they'd be looking to do some kind of trade rather than another waiver pickup as they are pretty close to the contract limit.

I think so as well.  It's just a matter of finding a team with a healthy veteran depth guy to spare.  Buffalo is the team I'd look at and Malcolm Subban with a guy like J-S Dea going the other way to match contracts.  There's just one problem - Subban's hurt too.  

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Columbus and Minnesota ?

Columbus depends on what happens with Korpisalo.  If they move him, Tarasov becomes the backup and Berube the #3 so they'd want to hold onto him (there are AHL playoffs this year).  Minnesota with Zane McIntyre could be an option - again, they'll want Hammond as injury insurance.

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Columbus depends on what happens with Korpisalo.  If they move him, Tarasov becomes the backup and Berube the #3 so they'd want to hold onto him (there are AHL playoffs this year).  Minnesota with Zane McIntyre could be an option - again, they'll want Hammond as injury insurance.

Korpisalo is going to be tough for Columbus to move, even if his (fairly expensive) contract is expiring: he's had an atrocious year. Arguably he has played worse than Koskinen and roughly on par with Primeau (season average, not last night's game).

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tarasov? Didnt we have a goalie prospect named that like 15-20 years ago? 🤪   Sorry for breaking the subject.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

1) i dont blame petry on any of the goals last night.

That is too funny; but hope other teams see it same way.

What are you smoking, whtaever it is, you better cut back sir. 

Petry must be taking tips from Sheldon Souray's new book;  "How to play defense... almost as well as a pylon."

Yeah when petry got the -1 when the goal went in from the corner, clearly a bad defensive play.  God damnit petry why did you let him shoot from an impossible angle.

Why did you let him shoot a wrist shot from the hashmarks with no traffic?

Why did you let the goaliengive up that ridiculous rebound.

Come on now.  Those.are the three goals he was on for.  If primeau makes saves, we arent even talking about any of those plays.

Not defending him earlier in the year cause hes been attrocious but last night, he didnt mess anything up.

42 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why did you let him shoot a wrist shot from the hashmarks with no traffic?

I assume that this is Snively's second goal that you are referring to?  Yes, Primeau should have made the save. But Petry could also have prevented that shot. That was his primary faux pas last night, in my view.

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Korpisalo is going to be tough for Columbus to move, even if his (fairly expensive) contract is expiring: he's had an atrocious year. Arguably he has played worse than Koskinen and roughly on par with Primeau (season average, not last night's game).

The asking price last I saw was quite high for him (multiple picks) so they're banking on his track record helping establish some value. 

One other idea I suppose is to take Koskinen's contract back from Edmonton and send someone like Kulak the other way (I'm pretty sure his trade value is minimal) with the Oilers retaining a little bit to make the money closer but still saving them some cap room.  It'll be like a repeat of the Scrivens trade all over again...

4 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Tarasov? Didnt we have a goalie prospect named that like 15-20 years ago? 🤪   Sorry for breaking the subject.

We did indeed, Vadim Tarasov.  His son is actually the Tarasov I referred to (Daniil).

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The asking price last I saw was quite high for him (multiple picks) so they're banking on his track record helping establish some value ...

Korpisalo had an outstanding rookie season (2.60/.920) ... slipped to 2.88/.905 and in the five seasons since then has had one good season (2.60/.911) sandwiched between pairs of sub-.900 seasons, with this year being his worst ... just wondering how solid a "track record" that is ... but at 27, in goaltender-terms he may still be seen as having potential that a skater of that age likely would not be accorded.