Our strengths and weaknesses have flip-flopped!

REV-G

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Slaf is ~ 30 lbs heavier and he has the swagger of prime time Subban and the spirit and drive of Mike Tyson. 

Agree that AHL seasoning wouldnt hurt one bit, even Subban got in 77 AHL games before NHL; but will be interesting how he looks in Sept games and if he is in opening game lineup, i would guess yes.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

My point was that the fewer games he plays at the start of the season, the more games Slafkovsky can be given at the end of the season (or during the season for that matter) as a "reward" if he plays well, and still not burn a season of his ELC.

On the other hand ... at the end of the season he should be focusing on leading the Rocket to a deep playoff run. That experience, too, is valuable.

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t think KK is a good comparison because he was skinny and had the drive and spirit of a scared kid 

Slaf is ~ 30 lbs heavier and he has the swagger of prime time Subban and the spirit and drive of Mike Tyson.

Additionally, Slafkovsky left home at 15 to play hockey, so he had to mature and take are of himself while relatively young.

When Kotkaniemi joined the Habs, his mom moved to Montreal to cook for him. Not that it's a terrible thing to do, but it does rather contrast with Slafkovsky.

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

On the other hand ... at the end of the season he should be focusing on leading the Rocket to a deep playoff run. That experience, too, is valuable.

Obviously if in a playoff race one leaves him there ... but if out of playoffs, or playoff seeding set, then a couple of games (and NHL pay cheques) could be a nice reward.

EDIT: Or, slide him into a couple of early-week games in Montreal as AHL team schedules tend to be more weekend centric.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that is a bold statement!

I do not mind either way with Slafkovsky: playing sheltered minutes in Montreal or going full pin in Laval: as long as there is a plan to develop him in either place. I will not be impressed if they "let the players force the hand" 

Whether he plays and is developed in Laval, or Montreal WILL and SHOULD depend on Slafkovsky -or on his forcing the habs hands. If he comes in blazing and looks like he belongs in the NHL, he should be on the team. If he’s not ready for the NHL, he should be in Laval. So it is dependent on how ready Slafkovsky is.

Having said that they need to make sure wherever he plays, they support him and develop him keeping his age in mind.

if he dominates in training camp, but does not look like he belongs after 5 games, send him down, let him dominate, and ensure he works on parts of his game that need to be developed. The important thing is they drafted him as a scorer. Develop him like one, and don’t try and turn him into Bob Gainey. I don’t want to see him playing with Armia and Evans.

• Upvote 1

On 8/26/2022 at 1:56 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

on another note, I was looking at the lineup suggested by Cap Friendly. What do you think of this lineup to start the season?

I would swap Dadonov with Hoffman and Play Shueneman instead of of one of the rookies.

image.png

It seems to me that the Habs will have more Canadians on their opening roster than they have had for a long time (15 of 23). Romanov, Petry and Poehling gone, and Dach, Matheson and Monahan are all Canadian. (Pitlick was also born in Canada but is listed as US.)

From Mathias Brunet:

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-Dach-Anderson
Dadonov-Dvorak-Gallagher
Pitlick-Evans-Armia
(Hoffman, Pezzetta)
(Monahan, Byron, sur la liste des blessés en début de saison)

Edmundson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Wideman
(Harris)

Allen
Montembeault

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/2022-09-01/rondelle-libre/la-metamorphose-du-canadien.php

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Edmundson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Matheson-Wideman
(Harris)

*** IF *** If those are the seven defencemen I wouldn't waste Matheson with Wideman ... I would pair Matheson with Barron ... they likely should go with a veteran first pairing ... Savard would pair with Edmundson ... NOT a great, or even a legit, top pairing but at least it would avoid (for the most part) throwing rookies in against the other teams' best players ... that leaves Wideman with Guhle ... the option would be for Edmundson to pair with Matheson (with whichever is most comfortable doing so playing their "off" side) but that complicates the other two pairings.

And, IMO, no way they should have 3 rookies on the roster, forcing one to sit out every game ... based on the current roster, I would have Schueneman as the 7D.