Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

11 hours ago, DON said:

What is chance Gallagher stays healthy?

My guess 15g 32pts.

Fantasy Focus: Brendan Gallagher – HabsWorld.net

How about Dach? Will he hit 20g?

2023 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #3 Kirby Dach (habseyesontheprize.com)

That would be roughly my guess as well. I don't think the chances of Gallagher staying healthy improve as he gets older but you never know. 

This is a big year for Dach. He looked dominant at times last year, excited to see what he can do. Hopefully he stays healthy. 

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Recall for training camp, at least for now?

Unless he makes the Habs (hope not) he will be returning "home".

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Unless he makes the Habs (hope not) he will be returning "home".

He better not make the Habs. How often have you seen an 18 year old come to their first pro camp with no pressure and no expectations and then all of a sudden they become the new saviour. 

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That would be roughly my guess as well. I don't think the chances of Gallagher staying healthy improve as he gets older but you never know. 

This is a big year for Dach. He looked dominant at times last year, excited to see what he can do. Hopefully he stays healthy. 

I believe Dach can become the player we all want him to be, BUT it's worth remembering that Lars Eller enjoyed bursts of a few weeks at a time where he also looked like he could become a big, rangy #2 C. Dach needs to put together a whole season where he plays like that, and not become another one of those "might have beens" that never really do it. Again, I'm reasonably optimistic. But it's by no means a given.

12 hours ago, sim.on said:

I'm pretty sure Reinbacker has stated multiple times that he wants to play in Kloten this upcoming year and finish his schooling. 

I still dont trust Hughes, he talks the talk about being patient, not rushing kids.

So not sure that what the kid "wants' matters.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

I still dont trust Hughes, he talks the talk about being patient, not rushing kids.

So not sure that what the kid "wants' matters.

Ultimately, if the player has signed a contract, it's a team decision as to where he will play at any given time.

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ultimately, if the player has signed a contract, it's a team decision as to where he will play at any given time.

True ... but how teams treat players can make a difference come next contracts, dealing with free agents, retaining your own free agents, etc.  ... HuGo seem sensitive to this.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but how teams treat players can make a difference come next contracts, dealing with free agents, retaining your own free agents, etc.  ... HuGo seem sensitive to this.

To an extent, yes. But at times they need to convince the player that a certain path is better for their development, even if it's not really where they want to be. (A case in point, Mesar last season.)

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

To an extent, yes. But at times they need to convince the player that a certain path is better for their development, even if it's not really where they want to be. (A case in point, Mesar last season.)

The ordinary NHL/AHL or junior-eligible players back to junior are standard team decisions ... it gets slightly more complex with Euros if they previously played pro overseas ... If the team can convince the player then it is a consensus decision (the ideal approach) ... issues can POTENTIALLY arise (short or long term) when the team imposes its decision ... NCAA players are the others that can get more complicated as they sometimes want to turn pro rather than return to school and can force the issue by leaving school even if the team wants them to return.

14 hours ago, sim.on said:

I'm pretty sure Reinbacker has stated multiple times that he wants to play in Kloten this upcoming year and finish his schooling. 

Yes

He likely does rookie camp, training camp, and preseason and then goes back.

A few weeks in Montreal and a taste of NHL speed (even in preseason) is a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yes

He likely does rookie camp, training camp, and preseason and then goes back.

A few weeks in Montreal and a taste of NHL speed (even in preseason) is a good thing.

Amen, let's develop this stud prospect properly.

• Like 1

Slick Nick, or Suzy as some call him.

Next is Ironman,  as the young man has played 291 NHL games straight (plus at least couple years in OHL without missing 1 game, if i recall).

2023 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #1 Nick Suzuki (habseyesontheprize.com)

"A career mark of around 33% in shootouts jumped to 71.4% for Suzuki in 2022-23,..."

On 9/1/2023 at 5:05 PM, DON said:

Habs draft video, with the big question, how big are Lapointes biceps! 21" 22?

Interesting. And fun to see guys like Serge Boisvert (!) back in action, LOL.

Gorton’s enigmatic comment that “this room doesn’t want to take a chance” seems to refer to Michkov. The management group consciously decided against the super-high-ceiling, high-risk pick.

Gorton seems like an easy-going presence…Hughes more of a tight-lipped, tightly-wound observer type.

The other peculiar bit is that they seemed to sincerely believe Xhekaj was at risk of being claimed higher than they took him. Considering the unanimous commentary on draft day that he was likely to go much lower than he did, that’s interesting. I wonder if the Habs scouted him more thoroughly because of his brother, and consequently had deeper insight into his merits?

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The other peculiar bit is that they seemed to sincerely believe Xhekaj was at risk of being claimed higher than they took him. Considering the unanimous commentary on draft day that he was likely to go much lower than he did, that’s interesting. I wonder if the Habs scouted him more thoroughly because of his brother, and consequently had deeper insight into his merits?

I found that very interesting, they seemed to think that if they didn't take him at 101 that he wouldn't be there at 110. I am guessing they knew more about him than most because of his brother. Time will tell.  

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2023/09/06/sean-farrell-a-man-on-a-mission/

"So what was Sean Farrell’s summer like?

• He completed his last University courses and officially graduated from Harvard, with a diploma in economics.
  • He added six pounds of muscle.
  • He made key components of his off-season training, listening to the team’s advices to improve his physical attributes."

Saw some concern expressed by Sens fans that because of Travis Hamonic's NMC the Sens would end up having to send Jacob Bernard-Docker and/or Lassi Thomson through waivers ... ignoring that there are other ways to resolve that quandary, are either of those players good enough to warrant claiming them given that the Habs would have keep them on the NHL roster (for how long I do not recall)?

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Saw some concern expressed by Sens fans that because of Travis Hamonic's NMC the Sens would end up having to send Jacob Bernard-Docker and/or Lassi Thomson through waivers ... ignoring that there are other ways to resolve that quandary, are either of those players good enough to warrant claiming them given that the Habs would have keep them on the NHL roster (for how long I do not recall)?

They'd have to be up for good.  Otherwise, they'd have to be re-waived to be sent down.  I'm not opposed to the idea but it's that challenge of having a young seventh defenceman (unless they turned around and sent Barron down to open up a spot on the right side).  It's nice to get an extra prospect but if he's hardly going to play, it's hard to develop them.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They'd have to be up for good.  Otherwise, they'd have to be re-waived to be sent down.  I'm not opposed to the idea but it's that challenge of having a young seventh defenceman (unless they turned around and sent Barron down to open up a spot on the right side).  It's nice to get an extra prospect but if he's hardly going to play, it's hard to develop them.

Thought they had to be on the NHL roster for a certain length of time, before which they have to be offered back to Ottawa before being waived ... anyway, it is always possible that Kovacevic could be the one to be moved out ... although I suspect I am in the minority, but I'm not as "sold" on Barron as many others (although I loved the character he showed in his Pride reaction).