Habs Pre-season 2023-2024

alfredoh2009

2 hours ago, DON said:

How many more cuts do they have?

Ten thoughts: Habs close out the preseason with a win over the Sens – HabsWorld.net

"Really, Suzuki needs to shoot more, even if there happens to be a player named Caufield on the ice with him."

Canadiens Takeaways: Slafkovsky adapting, Suzuki hot in the dot, Xhekaj tearing twine (sportsnet.ca)

"With a goal and an assist in Saturday’s game, Nick Suzuki finished the pre-season with seven points in four contests.

It didn’t seem to matter that there was a revolving cast of wingers on his right side, as four different ones auditioned for the role; Suzuki was able to dominate just the same."

Bottom Six Minutes: Mattias Norlinder makes the team? - Habs Eyes on the Prize

I like @dlbalr's suggestion that Dvorak goes on off-season LTIR until he is healthy ... that move alone puts them less than two million over the cap ceiling.

The $64,000 Question for me about the "Monday 5 p.m." roster is whether they keep Primeau in the NHL ... if they do, then I see Pezzetta & Ylonen getting waived and Harris & Barron demoted to Laval ... leaving a 23-man roster with Price and Primeau both included ... the next day (or soon thereafter) Price and Wideman get added to in-season LTIR and the necessary 7th defenceman gets brought back ... if either both of the "waived forwards" clears they could bring one back as the 13th forward but I am not certain they would bring both to have 14 forwards.

If they risk Primeau on waivers then one of Pezzetta/Ylonen is to the "Monday 5 p.m." roster in his place.

EDIT: Forgot Norlinder ... he puts the post Dvorak overage at about $2.5 and he goes to the AHL for "5 p.m. Monday" roster.

2 hours ago, DON said:

How many more cuts do they have?

Ten thoughts: Habs close out the preseason with a win over the Sens – HabsWorld.net

"Really, Suzuki needs to shoot more, even if there happens to be a player named Caufield on the ice with him."

Canadiens Takeaways: Slafkovsky adapting, Suzuki hot in the dot, Xhekaj tearing twine (sportsnet.ca)

"With a goal and an assist in Saturday’s game, Nick Suzuki finished the pre-season with seven points in four contests.

It didn’t seem to matter that there was a revolving cast of wingers on his right side, as four different ones auditioned for the role; Suzuki was able to dominate just the same."

Bottom Six Minutes: Mattias Norlinder makes the team? - Habs Eyes on the Prize

I’m really enjoying the new format @dlbalr  

Final starting roster and cap compliance begins tomorrow at 5 and it will be interesting when HuGo does to get there. 

Also, things seem quite positive about Slafkovsky all things considered. He put up 3 points in 5 games preseason. Hopefully the translates to the regular season. 

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Neither Monahan or Newhook are playing 4C ... Evans is the 4C (*) and the top 3 centres are Suzuki and 2 of 3 from amongst Dach, Monahan and Newhook, with the other going to Top 6 wing.

* - Once Dvorak returns I expect the "start the season" 3C moves to the wing and they hope Dvorak can play well enough to trade.

I expect it'll be Dach at 2C, as this is what they are working toward for his long-term role. Monahan or Newhook for 3C until Dvorak returns, the other one on the wing.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I like @dlbalr's suggestion that Dvorak goes on off-season LTIR until he is healthy ... that move alone puts them less than two million over the cap ceiling.

The $64,000 Question for me about the "Monday 5 p.m." roster is whether they keep Primeau in the NHL ... if they do, then I see Pezzetta & Ylonen getting waived and Harris & Barron demoted to Laval ... leaving a 23-man roster with Price and Primeau both included ... the next day (or soon thereafter) Price and Wideman get added to in-season LTIR and the necessary 7th defenceman gets brought back ... if either both of the "waived forwards" clears they could bring one back as the 13th forward but I am not certain they would bring both to have 14 forwards.

If they risk Primeau on waivers then one of Pezzetta/Ylonen is to the "Monday 5 p.m." roster in his place.

The next few hours will be interesting for sure. 

Anyone hitting waivers? Maybe Xhekaj starts in Laval? 

Maybe a big trade is about to drop

33 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The next few hours will be interesting for sure. 

TVA reporting that Armia and Lindstrom on waivers

Les Canadiens soumettent deux joueurs au ballottage - TVA Sports

CONFIRMED

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m really enjoying the new format @dlbalr 

Feedback has been largely positive on this one so we'll stick with it.  I think it'll be harder to do during the season than in the preseason (where there are different players to focus on) but we'll give it a go.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Feedback has been largely positive on this one so we'll stick with it.  I think it'll be harder to do during the season than in the preseason (where there are different players to focus on) but we'll give it a go.

Ten analytical thoughts is harder than it looks at first! 😛

48 minutes ago, DON said:

So they know Armia wont be grabbed on waivers; but, will he likely end up on starting roster still?

Or was my day just made?:nuts:

I expect that this is part of the process to get to under 83.5 without LTIR. If someone actually claims Armia it'll get much easier, if not (as is more likely), there will be additional steps to follow.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I expect that Ylonen and Pezzetta have more value to the team (and are more likely to be claimd) than Primeau at this point, so it will likely be the latter that gets waived.

Waiving Armia and Lindstorm leaves the Habs, by my calculations, $2,627,083 over the ceiling and with 27 players ... since nobody else requiring waivers was waived, I expect that today or tomorrow Harris, Barron, Xhekaj and Norlinder get "sent" to Laval to get to the 23-man roster (14F, 5D, 4G) ... and they will be almost $1.4M under the cap.

Once the "5 p.m. Monday" roster is set, on Tuesday Price, Dvorak and Wideman go on LTIR and whoever they want as the 5/6/7D get called up (assuming they don't claim someone on waivers).

If the plan is to keep Armia in the NHL they would have 15 forwards ... too many IMO; I wonder if they even need 14 ... Slafkovsky or RHP could go Laval without waivers, or HiGo could "in-season" waive Pezzetta and/or Ylonen and hope that with rosters set nobody claims them.

It also still leaves them in the uncomfortable situation of having 3 goalies, which I can't see lasting long.

So still interesting things to see.

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I didn’t think they would do it but I hope they follow through and send him to Laval 

My GUESS is that both were told they would be in Montreal if they weren't claimed.

Really quick cap crunching here:

image.png

That leaves a 23-player roster as follows:

G (4) Price, Allen, Montembeault, Primeau

D (6) Matheson, Savard, Barron, Guhle, Kovacevic, Wideman

F (13) Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher, Anderson, Dvorak, Dach, Pearson, Newhook, Monahan, Evans, Slafkovsky, Pezzetta, Ylonen

In terms of straight cap hit, the only waiver-exempt option that single-handedly gets them there is Slafkovsky being papered down but from a bonus perspective, that's not ideal as it limits their bonus cushion.  If they know they're not going to use all of Price's LTIR, then it's not as much of a concern but it'd be nice to avoid that if they can.  I just don't see how; flipping Barron and Guhle down for Beaudin/Keeper doesn't make up the difference (but that would get them low enough to just go with Wideman on offseason LTIR).  They're out of waiver-exempt options after that.

Having said that, I believe the Habs have already given non-roster designations to Price, Wideman, and Dvorak.  If that's the case, this option is off the table.

If they papered Guhle down, they wouldn't need to bring someone else up, though, would they? Isn't the minimum roster size 20?

Anyway, we'll know by tomorrow afternoon what their plan was.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If they papered Guhle down, they wouldn't need to bring someone else up, though, would they? Isn't the minimum roster size 20?

Anyway, we'll know by tomorrow afternoon what their plan was.

20 is the minimum but teams have to have at least 12/6/2.  Sending Barron or Guhle down with my roster would drop them to 5 D.

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

20 is the minimum but teams have to have at least 12/6/2.  Sending Barron or Guhle down with my roster would drop them to 5 D.

Didn't know about the 12-6-2 rule. Will wait until tomorrow rather than trying to come up with any more scenarios! :)

Can scratch 2 more off roster.

Montreal Canadiens send Emil Heineman, Mattias Norlinder to the Laval Rocket, solidify opening night roster - Habs Eyes on the Prize

"This means that Justin Barron will be on the opening night roster, as part of the seven defenders on the roster joining Mike Matheson, David Savard, Johnathan Kovacevic, Jordan Harris, Arber Xhekaj, and Kaiden Guhle."

2 hours ago, DON said:

Montreal Canadiens send Emil Heineman, Mattias Norlinder to the Laval Rocket, solidify opening night roster - Habs Eyes on the Prize

"This means that Justin Barron will be on the opening night roster, as part of the seven defenders on the roster joining Mike Matheson, David Savard, Johnathan Kovacevic, Jordan Harris, Arber Xhekaj, and Kaiden Guhle."

Does anyone ( @dlbalr @Commandant ???) know whether the 5:00 pm Monday roster has to be the opening night roster or can they make changes in between?

Armia and Lundquist both clear waivers

Where do they end up?

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Does anyone ( @dlbalr @Commandant ???) know whether the 5:00 pm Monday roster has to be the opening night roster or can they make changes in between?

They can make changes on Tuesday.  There's a good chance the roster they submit in a few hours won't be the one they start opening night with.

5 hours ago, DON said:

I really dislike that one of those Dmen will have to sit unless we dress 7. They all deserve to play…

I miss Wideman I guess 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I really dislike that one of those Dmen will have to sit unless we dress 7. They all deserve to play…

I miss Wideman I guess 🤷‍♂️

There's nothing stopping them from sending Barron down and recalling Lindstrom to be the designated scratch after they submit the opening rosters.  It's more advantageous for them to have Barron on it than Lindstrom (bonus cushion).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There's nothing stopping them from sending Barron down and recalling Lindstrom to be the designated scratch after they submit the opening rosters.  It's more advantageous for them to have Barron on it than Lindstrom (bonus cushion).

I like that plan.