2023-24 Laval Rocket discussion thread

tomh009

16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Outshot the Marlies 37-29 but lost 4-1. Woll is definitely a good goalie by AHL standards!

Woll won that game for the Marlies, LVL could not score in the many MANY power plays they got in large aprt ecause of the stellar performance by Woll. It was a very physical game, lots of pushing after whistles, many hard body checks.

I think this afternoon's game is streamed at: https://www.rds.ca/hockey/rocket/webdiffusion

I do not think you need to pay for it, but a login is required

1-0 for the Marlies with about 2min to go in the 1st.

LVL is sluggish, not generating much. Passes are across the width of the ice to split the D and they are often off the mark.

TOR is playing compact, 5 players are in the screen on the D zone, making it hard for the LVL shots to get through or for any passing lane to open.

lineup today:

LVL is trailing after one, Kaskisuo lost track of the puck with Galipeau screening him. I am curtrious to see if Davidson-Gignac-Farell do well on the 2nd line. I am hoping they do.

Jandric-Galipeau is a terrible defensive pair, they are below average AHL defensemen... at best!

image.png

indiscipline to start the 2nd. Players looking more to "settle scores" after yesterday's game than actually scoring goals!

2 quick goals PP for TOR and it is 3-0

turnover in the middle of the ice leading to a clean shot from the left faceoff circle beatc Kaskisuo. 22-7 shots for TOR.

Kaz is replaced by Dobes. 4-0 Marlies and I am underwhelmed by today's lack of combativity by the Rocket. Yesterday and today, they have played from the perimeter.

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

indiscipline to start the 2nd. Players looking more to "settle scores" after yesterday's game than actually scoring goals!

That's not overly shocking with how chippy last night's game was.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's not overly shocking with how chippy last night's game was.

yes, not unexpected, it is the AHL after all and the players being undisciplined (not the ones getting the penalties) have AHL contracts.

Edited by alfredoh2009

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes, not unexpected, it is the AHL after all and the players being undisciplined (not the ones getting the penalties) have AHL contracts.

well now everyone is getting penalized! What a frack-fest

two embarrassing loses to TOR, when they had two consecutive sold-out crowds at home. The RDS streaming commentators where talking about the vibe in Laval, how Barron and Gignac are still showing their disappointment from being sent to Laval. With the White pick from waivers, the Rocket forwards know that they are not going up to Montreal any time soon.

I hope the coaches get them back on track to make it at least interesting for the next month or so.

Quite a few LVL players are on expiring contracts:

image.png

I am glad Gignac is in Laval for a playoff push. The RDS commentators today were mentioning how JF Houle likes to give any player demoted from MTL a few days to work out their feelings after being demoted,

In commenting how flat the team looked today, they said that Gignac looking flat was understandable, but not Barron, Condotta and Stephen's lack of drive. They should have played better.

Here is the quote from the rumor reported by Norman Flynn about how deserving Gignac was of an NHL contract. Just to share on how LVL has enough pieces up-front to compete. Their back-end is not great

On 2/3/2024 at 8:25 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

one rumor I heard yesterday on the aftermath of the Monahan trade is that the Habs could offer Gignac a contract and call him him up. He is deserving of that, but I hope they do something else just for the pleasure of riding the bubble team ride of the Rocket into the playoffs... very selfishly

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Kaskisuo is week-to-week with a lower-body injury.  Condotta isn't with the team on the road with the pending birth of his child.

Guess the options are Strauss Mann "come on down ... err ... southwest" or conditioning stints for Primeau and/or Allen to see how Kaskiuo's situation evolves ... Mann obviously is the more likely option.

52 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Guess the options are Strauss Mann "come on down ... err ... southwest" or conditioning stints for Primeau and/or Allen to see how Kaskiuo's situation evolves ... Mann obviously is the more likely option.

Mann was recalled yesterday.

Nice win by teh Rocket. Dobes was very good to keep them at 0-0 in teh first half of the game.

Simoneau-Maillet-Heineman
Farrell-Gignac-Andersson
Davidson-Stephens-Cederqvist
McKay-Mysak-Légaré

Trudeau-Barron
P.-Bisson-Mailloux
Norlinder-Galipeau

Dobes
Mann

Farrel, Mysak and Does were really good. Two goals within a minute in the middle of the 2nd and two other within a a minute near the end of the 2md chased their goalie. First shutout for Dobes.

Norlinder touched two posts and was ok. Barron tends to attack the puck carrier in the middle of the ice very aggressicely; sometimes he gets beat and needs a forward to take his spot on D. I think it is the way the Rocket plays to shut down the center of the ice, but for some reason, Barron stood out on a couple of plays where the player got past him.

I did not watch the 3rd period.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They are likely getting Roy back soon I think. Habs need a roster spot soon, unless trades happen. 

After the trade deadline the 23 man roster limit disappears. 

I'd paper Roy down so he's eligible for AHL playoffs, but then call him right back up. He should play NHL games for development as he's succeeding against that competition. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

After the trade deadline the 23 man roster limit disappears. 

I'd paper Roy down so he's eligible for AHL playoffs, but then call him right back up. He should play NHL games for development as he's succeeding against that competition. 

Thanks! I always thought the roster limit ended once the playoffs started. 

Totally agree that Roy is NHL ready and I can’t wait to see him grow 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Lost again yesterday, playoff hopes must be pretty slim.

it was a close game and they fought back to even the score.

LVL players and coach were upset with the refs for the first half of the game and unfocused.

After a great PK effort they got back on track. They also dominated overtime until they lost the puck 3/4 of the way in. I think it was a poor line change from which they made the mistake.

They have something like five games against Belleville who have the last playoff spot. It is within reach specially if they get Roy back.

Dobes, Mailloux, and a few others played well.

Forgot to mention Farrell. He is sneaky good, made an excellent pass to Heineman(?) for a goal. He may be too small for the NHL but he may be a great depth AHLer for MTL in LVL