2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

18 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I think our rebuild really hinges on the dcore. If we have a top 3 d in the league and decent 1/2 centers in Dach/Suzuki... We can find some wingers in FA to fill slots outside of Caufield.

Yeah. We do have a critical mass at D and I can verty easily see our blueline becoming one of the very best in hockey, as a unit; especially with Hutson, Mailloux, and Reinbacher still in the system. Maybe that’s enough…I always believed in building from the blueline.

When it comes to forwards, though, we seem to be really counting on a limited number of guys to ‘hit,’ by which I mean, not just becoming decent top-9 FWs but impactful top-6 guys. Slaf, I doubt it; Newhook, maybe 50-50; Mesar, Roy, who knows; Beck I understand is more likely a #3C; etc.

For us to contend within three years, it seems clear that Dach HAS to become the guy we know he can be. Therefore he has to recover fully from this injury, pick up where he left off in terms of his development arc, and not be injury-prone going forward. I seem to more worried about these variables coming together than most posters on this site. 

It could be worth keeping Monahan precisely as insurance in case Dach can’t recover his form. That could tide us over the next 2-3 years and give us time to find another solution for Suzuki’s peak years. On the other hand, maybe we move Monahan for picks/prospects to build the desired critical mass of talent at FW. (Of course, if we draft kids now, we might not even know if they pan out for another 3-4 years…by which time Suzuki is 27, 28. This is what I mean about the window being narrower than we tend to think).

There’s also the question of who minds the pipes in 2026. A 30-year-old Monty? Maybe…🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Special teams have improved recently, but they are taking too many penalties.

The last five games they have averaged 4.8 minors/game, a big improvement from the first four games.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There’s also the question of who minds the pipes in 2026. A 30-year-old Monty? Maybe…

Really unpredictable. If Montembeault develops further (or at least doesn't regress), the age is quite OK. It's possible that he could be our starter while we further develop the goalie prospects in the system. None of them seem close to being ready at the moment ...

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For us to contend within three years, it seems clear that Dach HAS to become the guy we know he can be. Therefore he has to recover fully from this injury, pick up where he left off in terms of his development arc, and not be injury-prone going forward. I seem to more worried about these variables coming together than most posters on this site. 

It could be worth keeping Monahan precisely as insurance in case Dach can’t recover his form. That could tide us over the next 2-3 years and give us time to find another solution for Suzuki’s peak years. On the other hand, maybe we move Monahan for picks/prospects to build the desired critical mass of talent at FW. (Of course, if we draft kids now, we might not even know if they pan out for another 3-4 years…by which time Suzuki is 27, 28. This is what I mean about the window being narrower than we tend to think).

There’s also the question of who minds the pipes in 2026. A 30-year-old Monty? Maybe…🤷‍♂️

Certainly Dach is a critical component going forward, such a shame to see him get hurt. A healthy Dach and we are set at center for a long time. Then it's just a matter of filling in a couple spots on the wing, perhaps one more elite sniper. The defense is starting to shape up and 30 is hardly old for a goalie. 

Would be nice to see this line have a big game vs Coyotes (or score a couple at least).

St. Louis emphasizing 'balance' to get Canadiens' second line to break through (sportsnet.ca)

Cant hurt i guess?;

"Anderson is trying to keep his confidence intact in different ways, first convincing himself the chances he’s getting are going to lead to goals coming in bunches. He has also rewatched all his games, gone shift-by-shift through them with coaches, and he said he would consider watching highlights of goals he’s scored in the past to keep his mind in the right place."

17 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Certainly Dach is a critical component going forward, such a shame to see him get hurt. A healthy Dach and we are set at center for a long time. Then it's just a matter of filling in a couple spots on the wing, perhaps one more elite sniper. The defense is starting to shape up and 30 is hardly old for a goalie. 

good point, I can’t help but wonder if betting on Dach is wise though given he has had a lot of injuries so far and wondering whether that trend continues or simply the wear and tear becomes too much…?

I don’t think I’d bet my future on him at this point, not b/c he isn’t capable but injuries are such a big deal and some players seem more prone than others whether due to their style of play, physical build, etc.

Max PAC is a god example of older player who Dach reminds me of, had some good years, decent size, is a producer but I wouldn’t want to be dependent on him being around for whole seasons.  Sam Bennet is another player who has a lot of tools but can’t stay healthy. Hard to plan future around players with history of missing significant time.

Def need to keep Monahan now that I think on this.

37 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

good point, I can’t help but wonder if betting on Dach is wise though given he has had a lot of injuries so far and wondering whether that trend continues or simply the wear and tear becomes too much…?

I don’t think I’d bet my future on him at this point, not b/c he isn’t capable but injuries are such a big deal and some players seem more prone than others whether due to their style of play, physical build, etc.

Max PAC is a god example of older player who Dach reminds me of, had some good years, decent size, is a producer but I wouldn’t want to be dependent on him being around for whole seasons.  Sam Bennet is another player who has a lot of tools but can’t stay healthy. Hard to plan future around players with history of missing significant time.

Def need to keep Monahan now that I think on this.

Certainly all the injuries to Dach are a concern and makes you wonder whether it's a trend or not. It would be such a shame if the trend continued as he is so friggin talented. 

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Certainly all the injuries to Dach are a concern and makes you wonder whether it's a trend or not. It would be such a shame if the trend continued as he is so friggin talented. 

His ACL/MCL injury was a bit of a freak incident resulting from being checked into the bench. Surely nothing to do with the upper-body injury at the end of the last season.

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

His ACL/MCL injury was a bit of a freak incident resulting from being checked into the bench. Surely nothing to do with the upper-body injury at the end of the last season.

I am sure the injuries are not related but some guys just seem to have a greater propensity for injuries whether it's not protecting themselves, or putting themselves in bad positions or a balance issue or whatever, some guys just seem to get hurt more. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am sure the injuries are not related but some guys just seem to have a greater propensity for injuries whether it's not protecting themselves, or putting themselves in bad positions or a balance issue or whatever, some guys just seem to get hurt more. 

Yeah. The all-time example was Benoit Brunet.

If we are concerned about Dach's durability, then we are by definition concerned about the rebuild. I foresee a powerhouse d-corps, but if Dach is compromised, then we will need to get creative if we want to have adequate quality down the middle. Monahan might be a short-term patchup option to buy us time. It sounds as though the Habs intend to move him out, though.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Monahan might be a short-term patchup option to buy us time. It sounds as though the Habs intend to move him out, though.

Has Hughes said something indicating that?

Seems an odd or wishy-washy comment.

Canadiens’ decision on Juraj Slafkovský will need to come soon, and they must nail it - The Athletic

"Does St. Louis think Slafkovský is buying the value of puck touches and where he goes on the ice?

“I think so,” St. Louis said. “I’m pretty sure he does.”

Maybe Dvorak coming back will allow a more veteran centre to play with the kid? 

Wonder how Gallagher/Pearson would (will?) do without Monahan.

He seems to help all that play with him.

Ten NHL players having bounce-back seasons and crushing expectations - The Athletic

"In addition to the offense, Monahan hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against at five-on-five despite handling some tough matchups. The underlying numbers for his line with another pair of bounceback veterans in Tanner Pearson and Brendan Gallagher have been excellent."

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Why would they? With Dvorak's return, they already have a forward too many. Unless RHP will miss games, which still leaves them with a full roster.

And once they call up Andersson, he'll need to clear waivers AGAIN in order to return to Laval.

Pretty darn good player, when healthy.

Healthy Monahan feeling good, making huge contribution to Canadiens (sportsnet.ca)

"But, with his health intact, and with strength built up over the off-season, Monahan has been relied on as the Canadiens’ third-most used forward, averaging 19:13 per game — or 1:51 more than he averaged last season and over a minute more per game than he did through any of his last three seasons with the Calgary Flames."

"... while being one of three players in the NHL who have played over 100 five-on-five minutes without being on the ice for a goal against."

Habs going in to todays game have the better special teams at least.

Canadiens @ Blues: Game preview and how to watch - EOTP (habseyesontheprize.com)

Canadiens Statistics Blues
5-3-2 Record 4-4-1
47.9% (21st) Scoring-chances-for % 40.8% (32nd)
2.90 (20th) Goals per game 2.00 (30th)
3.10 (16th) Goals against per game 2.67 (9th)
20.0% (15th) PP% 3.7% (32nd)
75.0% (23rd) PK% 75.0% (24th)
2-0-0 Head-to-Head Record (22-23) 0-2-0

Curious to see how the lines play out with Dvorak back. Who's the third wheel with Suzuki/Caufield, and how does the second line shake out? All I know is Slaf/Newhook hasn't passed the eye test for a while, it needs to be ditched. Newhook to the 22/14 line, and Dvo on the 2nd? MSL is probably hesitant to break up the Monahan line. Should be fun to see tonight!

Another West road trip not so great.

Habs Weekly: A Rough Western Road Trip – HabsWorld.net

Bit of hindsight

After 11 games, the Habs needed to rearrange the deck chairs – Hab At Her

Tied 14th in the NHL, kinda guessing they wont be any higher than are now; with TB-Wings-Bruins-Canucks next.

Is good to hear Guhle-Barron like Harris-Kocvavic, work well together.

"This becomes a viable solution thanks to the play of Kaiden Guhle and Justin Barron, a pairing formed five games ago that has been by far the Canadiens’ most reliable over that span. The two have been on the ice together for one goal against in those five games, and while St. Louis. has mixed and matched his two other defence pairings, he has left this one alone. Because it is working."

Kaiden Guhle and Justin Barron could provide solution to Canadiens’ blue line problems - The Athletic

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Is good to hear Guhle-Barron like Harris-Kocvavic, work well together.

"This becomes a viable solution thanks to the play of Kaiden Guhle and Justin Barron, a pairing formed five games ago that has been by far the Canadiens’ most reliable over that span. The two have been on the ice together for one goal against in those five games, and while St. Louis. has mixed and matched his two other defence pairings, he has left this one alone. Because it is working."

Kaiden Guhle and Justin Barron could provide solution to Canadiens’ blue line problems - The Athletic

Yeah, this is all part of the young blueline slowly developing and coalescing. For all of my skepticism about our FW depth, this organization has an embarassment of riches when it comes to young D and defensive prospects. 

Barron doesn’t get much attention. I’m curious about his underlying numbers. I suppose the question might be whether he is being “carried” by Guhle in the same way that Komisarek was carried by Markov; but I doubt whether Guhle is strong enough yet to be carrying a partner at the NHL level. 

Harris has not impressed me via the “eye test” this season, but he is partner to Kovacevic, who has received excellent reviews - so presumably he is doing something right.