Game 30 Islanders at Canadiens 7pm Sat December 16

Prime Minister Koivu

Islanders are on a back to back so Habs should win tonight. 

Montembault in net

Will post lines when they become available. 

I'm hoping for another end to end, give and go rush from Struble with a beauty goal to finish. 

Go Habs Go

EDIT to add lines

Looks like the same lineup and Evans is good to go:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky 

Monahan - Evans - Anderson 

Armia - Dvorak - Gallagher 

Pezetta - Stephens - Ylonen

Monahan - Savard

Guhle - Barron

Struble - Kovacevic 

Montembault

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Islanders are on a back to back so Habs should win tonight.

I don't think the Habs have yet won this season against a team playing the second game of a back-to-back. But maybe tonight will be the first ...

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Some Christmas sweater power is going to propel Caufield into a hat trick tonight. 

IMG_0275.jpeg

Traded for him in my fantasy league 3 weeks ago. 

Time for him to get his  😁out of his 🫏

Will Heineman dress?

Canadiens Notebook: Anderson feeling weight of slump, Heineman ready for NHL (sportsnet.ca)

"I talked to (Canadiens director of development) Adam (Nicholas) after half the camp and just said I’m not where I want to perform out there,” Heineman said on Friday. “I just basically had to stop thinking too much and just play and be aggressive and use my strength more. That was kind of like a turning point — the last two weeks of the camp, and it really made a difference.”

There will be no hesitation this time, he insists."

1 hour ago, DON said:

Will Heineman dress?

Canadiens Notebook: Anderson feeling weight of slump, Heineman ready for NHL (sportsnet.ca)

"I talked to (Canadiens director of development) Adam (Nicholas) after half the camp and just said I’m not where I want to perform out there,” Heineman said on Friday. “I just basically had to stop thinking too much and just play and be aggressive and use my strength more. That was kind of like a turning point — the last two weeks of the camp, and it really made a difference.”

There will be no hesitation this time, he insists."

I kind of hope so, and that he slots in for Anderson in a top 6/9 role rather than on 4th line.  Anderson has never stopped working but just thinking a shift in view/perspective may help and don’t want Henineman on fourth line.

Ugh @ Evans playing top 6.

Dont get why Monahan isn’t playing that spot and Evans goes back to his 4C spot.

Stephens hasn’t been bad, but also doesn’t bring much. Evans/Ylonen could be together for a while and perhaps a long run together could establish a future third line duo.  They do well with Pezz most of the time, rarely is that line the problem given the expectations.  

Monahan at C insulates Suzuki in a way as well b/c teams are not worried about game planning for a second line centre by Evans; whereas, one with Monahan at C demands attention and focus that detracts from attention given to 14/22/20.  

Ugh, side note The spell check/auto correct part of this forum is horrible to deal with on mobile.

• Like 1

Well, hope Habs can draw a ton of penalties... cause a few will be fugly as per normal... but Isles PK is somehow even worse than the Habs PK, so there is some hope for some offense... from Barron or Matheson or Guhle is my guess.

Canadiens Statistics Islanders
12-13-4 Record 14-7-8
46.6% (27th) Scoring-chances-for % 47.1% (24th)
2.62 (28th) Goals per game 3.10 (18th)
3.38 (24th) Goals against per game 3.17 (15th)
17.0% (22th) PP% 25.6% (7th)
72.4% (30th) PK% 70.1% (32nd)
1-2-0 Head-to-Head Record (22-23) 2-0-1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Well, hope Habs can draw a ton of penalties... cause a few will be fugly as per normal... but Isles PK is somehow even worse than the Habs PK, so there is some hope for some offense... from Barron or Matheson or Guhle is my guess.

Canadiens Statistics Islanders
12-13-4 Record 14-7-8
46.6% (27th) Scoring-chances-for % 47.1% (24th)
2.62 (28th) Goals per game 3.10 (18th)
3.38 (24th) Goals against per game 3.17 (15th)
17.0% (22th) PP% 25.6% (7th)
72.4% (30th) PK% 70.1% (32nd)
1-2-0 Head-to-Head Record (22-23) 2-0-1

Wow the Isles PK is even worse than ours. They offset that a bit by scoring PP goals - someday the Habs will too

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Lots of Habs chances and the Suzuki line is crushing the Islanders.

Fourth line also at 90% xGF, and the third line at 70%. Now, about that second line ...

Is this the game that changes Anderson’s season?

Bit of a pushback by NY but Habs were all over them most of that period too. 

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Fourth line also at 90% xGF, and the third line at 70%. Now, about that second line ...

That second line would look so much better like this:

Anderson - Monahan - Ylonen

Sends Evans back to the fourth line, he simply isn’t a second line centre 

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Is this the game that changes Anderson’s season?

It'd be nice but I wouldn't count on it.  This feels more like one of those 'positive regression to the mean' games.  He couldn't carry a sub-2% shooting percentage forever, something had to break his way eventually.

I would have hoped that Columbus blowing a 5-goal lead in the third earlier this week would have been a good reminder to not take their foot off the gas.  Credit to the Islanders who found their skating legs as well but the Habs were going through the motions for way too long.  At least they pulled it out.