2024 NHL Entry Draft

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Of course there will be some 2nd guessing, there always is. A lot of people 2nd guessed talking Slaf over Wright, taking Reinbacher over Leonard or Michkov. Only time will tell if they get it Wright, I mean right. Picking 18 year olds is far from a perfect science and we caught up in the hype generated by the media. 

Now if the Habs win the lottery I expect minimal 2nd guessing. 

Obviously there is always second guessing ... someone would have wanted Eichel if the Habs had drafted McDavid ... I was referring to more than normal because of the "jumble" in rankings after #1.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I was referring to more than normal because of the "jumble" in rankings after #1.

Agreed, it really seems to be a "jumble" after #1 but I expect many here will have a favourite (ie. mine is Lindstrom) they hope the Habs take. There also may be a greater likelihood of trading up and down a few spots because drafting 3rd or 7th may not be such a big difference. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I saw Pronman's rankings, he obviously likes the defensemen in this draft as many others do. I think because there is no obvious BPA after #1 many teams will draft based on need. 

Montreal is on that list as Hughes admitted during an interview on the broadcast yesterday that they'd like to go BPA but if there isn't one that distinguishes himself above the rest, then they'd go by need.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Montreal is on that list as Hughes admitted during an interview on the broadcast yesterday that they'd like to go BPA but if there isn't one that distinguishes himself above the rest, then they'd go by need.

If all things equal.. then will go with need, isnt that what he said? Which still seems late in game to make that choice.

Surely between all scouts and Mgmt folks debating draft ranking, their list should be set in stone prior to the draft.

And simply take highest left on their board when pick is up and not a wishy-washy 'well if 2 prospects are equal...."

12 minutes ago, DON said:

If all things equal.. then will go with need, isnt that what he said? Which still seems late in game to make that choice.

."

I think Hughes has said something similar in the past and was just repeating himself here. I think most GM's would say the same thing that if it's a tough choice between 2 x 17/18 year old prospects then organizational need would take precedence. It only makes sense. 

I think this draft will be especially interesting as I think every mock draft I looked at had someone different at #2.  Commandant has Helenius at #2, I haven't seen him rated that high in any other mock draft but he could very well be right as there seems to be no clear cut #2.  We will know in 3-4 years who was right. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Surely between all scouts and Mgmt folks debating draft ranking, their list should be set in stone prior to the draft.

And simply take highest left on their board when pick is up and not a wishy-washy 'well if 2 prospects are equal...."

I think he was more referring to how their list is established than "calling an audible" on the floor of the draft.

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think he was more referring to how their list is established than "calling an audible" on the floor of the draft.

Ahh, id buy that.

Rankings definitely all over the place, Lindstrom 10 (probably because of his injury) and Helenius 12. Yakemchuk seems to be rising on a lot of boards. It will be interesting after Celebrini. 

Sportsnet’s 2024 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: March Edition (msn.com)

Reinbacher and this kid in top 4?

RH d-man 

2024 NHL Draft consensus big board: Macklin Celebrini, defensemen lead midseason list - The Athletic

Michigan State blueliner Levshunov ultimately topped the position group on this composite, after receiving second overall rankings from Wheeler and Peters, and a third-place finish on McKenzie’s list. And for good reason: He’s been a force, with 30 points in 32 games as a freshman in the Big Ten. For context, 2021 first-overall pick Owen Power had 16 in 26, in the same conference.

Overall Habs range for this composition ranking.

image.png

It was good to see Winnipeg lose last night. Now if Dallas or Colorado win that division then Winnipeg has a very tough 1st round opponent (Dallas or Colorado) and if they go out early then it pretty much guarantees that 1st round pick would be no later than mid 20's. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It was good to see Winnipeg lose last night. Now if Dallas or Colorado win that division then Winnipeg has a very tough 1st round opponent (Dallas or Colorado) and if they go out early then it pretty much guarantees that 1st round pick would be no later than mid 20's. 

The east has some good teams and there will be some interesting matchups. Boston, Toronto would be savage. 

The West is brutally tough with a bunch of really great teams. Edmonton, Dallas, Jets, Vegas, Colorado, Vancouver…Any one of them could realistically win. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Another mock draft, a lot of defensemen near the top seems to be pretty common, Catton seems to be in that 6-8 range a lot, Lindstrom all over the place. 

2024 NHL Mock Draft | NHL Draft Rounds - Lines.com

A 6'4" physical centre who can skate... cant see him lasting very long and fully expect he wont be an option at 7, but maybe at 5, if somehow both Sens/Coyotes can go on winning streaks.

image.png

1 minute ago, DON said:

A 6'4" physical centre who can skate... cant see him lasting very long and fully expect he wont be an option at 7, but maybe at 5, if somehow both Sens/Coyotes can go on winning streaks.

image.png

Agreed, I don't think he is an option at 7 either, would love to see the Sens and Yotes go on a winning streak but I won't hold my breath for that to happen. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, I don't think he is an option at 7 either, would love to see the Sens and Yotes go on a winning streak but I won't hold my breath for that to happen. 

OK, lottery win it is then.

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sens win, Coyotes win and Blue Jackets win, not a terrible night. 

Yes.

image.png

"I see some Celebrini in my Habs future winnings..."

it is not a great catch phrases, but much better than ChatGPT's:

1. "The stars align with Celebrini, it's fate, I'm feeling."
2. "In the air, a vibe with Celebrini, it's our team he'll be seeing."
3. "With each sign, it's clear, Celebrini will soon appear."
4. "Sensing the aura, with Celebrini, victory draws near-a."
5. "Celebrini's aura shines, joining us, it's in the signs."
6. "In my bones, the certainty, Celebrini will join our fraternity."
7. "Whispers in the wind, Celebrini's name, our team will rescind."
8. "With each heartbeat, Celebrini's presence, I greet."