2024 NHL Entry Draft

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

you are right, I was surprised by that one but the kid is really good.

The names on @GHT120 's list had too many old names, and I woul dbe surprised Koivu JR is favoured by this management team.

But those names had nothing to do with "sentimentalism towards the history of the franchise or are any interest in dipping into nepotism" ... nor did I ever suggest that Koivu Jr would or should in any way be favoured by HuGo et al ... he had been described as "81st, so a NHL long shot depth player" and the names were just intended to point out that picks in the early-80s have panned out in the past and that is why teams still draft instead of just passing.

Lots of examples but 80-90% 3rd rd+ do not make NHL

But like; Datsyuk 6th round 171st pick or Markov 6th round 162nd pick, can find gold late, just highly unlikely thats all.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But those names had nothing to do with "sentimentalism towards the history of the franchise or are any interest in dipping into nepotism" ... nor did I ever suggest that Koivu Jr would or should in any way be favoured by HuGo et al ... he had been described as "81st, so a NHL long shot depth player" and the names were just intended to point out that picks in the early-80s have panned out in the past and that is why teams still draft instead of just passing.

I wanted the Habs to pick David Spacek last year.

I still do not believe HughGort cares much for nepo-babies.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wanted the Habs to pick David Spacek last year.

I still do not believe HughGort cares much for nepo-babies.

You aren't drafting players cause they are nepo-babies.   They'd be taking Atsu in the 3rd or 4th round cause he's BPA.   At some point in the draft, he is the best player on the board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You aren't drafting players cause they are nepo-babies.   They'd be taking Atsu in the 3rd or 4th round cause he's BPA.   At some point in the draft, he is the best player on the board. 

Right. You wouldn't pick Aatos Koivu because you expect him to be a clone of Saku. He is his own player, and he'll be picked on his own merits. The only significant thing you get from that relationship is that you might have a better idea of the player's attitude or mental processes, based on how well you know his family members. But that's just another data point, not anything more.

• Like 1

U18 prelim games

Cole Eiserman 3g, Cole Hutson 1g1a (in 9-0 game).

Helenius 1a

Iginla/Greentree 1a

T-minus 14 days

If Kotkaniemi teached us something, it's not to take too much from the results at this U18 tournament.

Guessing the scouts go there to evaluate some specific skills and character aspect of players' game more than how they actually perform.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

If Kotkaniemi teached us something, it's not to take too much from the results at this U18 tournament.

Guessing the scouts go there to evaluate some specific skills and character aspect of players' game more than how they actually perform.

It's just another data point. You should never make a decision based on a single tournament, but it can still supplement the information you have gathered otherwise.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Of course its not just the under 18.  You look at their entire body of work including WHL and La Liga seasons. 

Future Considerations: Scouting top players at U18 World Championship (sportsnet.ca)

"Konsta Helenius, Forward, Team Finland
On Day 1 of the tournament, he was one of the more visibly active players among the teams present.

He plays quickly and fast. ...

NHL Projection: Top-line speed forward, reliable offensive producer at even strength and on the power-play."

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

There's another poster here that really likes him.  LOL

Helenius seems to have a really well rounded skill set, excellent skater, hard worker, high IQ. It blows my mind that in a couple mock drafts he isn't even listed in the top 30. 

I think this looks like the kind of draft where it would be great to have a couple picks in the top 15 to grab that guy that unexpectedly falls. San Jose already has a couple picks in the top 15 (thanks Pittsburgh), maybe they could be persuaded to trade their 2nd 1st rounder for the Habs Winnipeg pick (plus other assets of course). But that rarely happens. 

19 minutes ago, DON said:

I always exclude NHL Central Scouting (four separate lists renders their ranking useless I-M-O for this sort of purpose) and the highest and lowest ranking ... Not much difference ... drops him to 9th ... still below where the Habs likely draft but high enough that it would be difficult to "trade/trade-up" for a pick to grab him.

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

drops him to 9th ... still below where the Habs likely draft but high enough that it would be difficult to "trade/trade-up" for a pick to grab him.

Agreed, likely too high for the Habs to be able to trade up high enough to get another pick to grab him. I am thinking if you could get another pick at say 15 then you could grab someone like a Liam Greentree perhaps. 

I just hope the Habs can get an impact forward at 5. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, likely too high for the Habs to be able to trade up high enough to get another pick to grab him. I am thinking if you could get another pick at say 15 then you could grab someone like a Liam Greentree perhaps. 

Each team will have their own ranking, though, so even if the lists above are credible, every team will be different, even assuming they pick the best player available. So, the Habs could possibly rank Helenius at 5, another team could rank him at 4, or all the top teams rank him outside the top 15.

We'll find out soon what position the Habs actually pick in.

35 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Each team will have their own ranking, though, so even if the lists above are credible, every team will be different, even assuming they pick the best player available.

Of course, that's what makes the draft so interesting. 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Of course, that's what makes the draft so interesting. 

And hard to predict who will be available!

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Getting two picks in the top 12-15 would be ideal. Would probably allow us a SLIGHT chance to get one of the following combos:

-Helenius/ Eiserman or Iginla

-Parekh Eiserman or Iginla

ideal situation is we win the lottery AND trade up to the 10-12 pick range. If are lucky enough to win the lottery, I think we’d be one year away from having the pieces not only to be a playoff team, but two years away from being a legit contender.  

This draft is crucial, can’t have a KK type Fxck up. There are some seriously good forward prospects this year, and if we can get the right guy it make make up for passing on Leonard last year. I would have preferred taking Leonard last year and Parekh this year.

Irrespective of the draft, we need at least two forwards in addition to a healthy Dach to make meaningful progress next year. I doubt if there is anyone we draft that makes a huge difference next year. That’s why as much as I’d like us to move our Winnipeg pick and young D and/or other picks, to get a higher first round pick, I think Hughes will probably move the first pick in another Dach/Newhook type deal.