2024 NHL Entry Draft

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Getting two picks in the top 12-15 would be ideal. Would probably allow us a SLIGHT chance to get one of the following combos:

-Helenius/ Eiserman or Iginla

-Parekh Eiserman or Iginla

ideal situation is we win the lottery AND trade up to the 10-12 pick range. If are lucky enough to win the lottery, I think we’d be one year away from having the pieces not only to be a playoff team, but two years away from being a legit contender.  

This draft is crucial, can’t have a KK type Fxck up. There are some seriously good forward prospects this year, and if we can get the right guy it make make up for passing on Leonard last year. I would have preferred taking Leonard last year and Parekh this year.

Irrespective of the draft, we need at least two forwards in addition to a healthy Dach to make meaningful progress next year. I doubt if there is anyone we draft that makes a huge difference next year. That’s why as much as I’d like us to move our Winnipeg pick and young D and/or other picks, to get a higher first round pick, I think Hughes will probably move the first pick in another Dach/Newhook type deal.

I’m hoping they use the Calgary pick, Winnipeg pick and one of our young defenders to either get us a top 6 forward or to get a pick around 12 this year. 

I want Parekh too but man we need top 6 forwards in our system 

11 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m hoping they use the Calgary pick, Winnipeg pick and one of our young defenders to either get us a top 6 forward or to get a pick around 12 this year. 

I want Parekh too but man we need top 6 forwards in our system 

Kinda agree. Not sure would use up next year 1st picks; but adding a young skilled top 6 forward should really help and Hughes has said more offense needed.

Parekh & Hutson on the PP units wouldnt hurt any.

But, if picked a Buium, Levshunov or a Dickinson, would also seem fine my me. 

The Athletic has Lindstrom ranked at 11, which seems low, but who knows maybe only Demidov & Celebrini will be forwards off the board at 5 or 6?

image.png

NHL Draft 2024 prospects ranking: Celebrini leads Pronman’s April list, Levshunov follows - The Athletic

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The Calgary pick by itself might be in the 12 range next year so that seems a lot to give up top move to 12 this year however the Winnipeg pick plus a young defensemen plus maybe a #2 from next year.  Maybe that isn't enough. It would depend on who the young defensemen is. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Calgary pick by itself might be in the 12 range next year so that seems a lot to give up top move to 12 this year however the Winnipeg pick plus a young defensemen plus maybe a #2 from next year.  Maybe that isn't enough. It would depend on who the young defensemen is. 

Yeah fair enough. I’ve never been great at value of picks and players. 

I do think we could get a good player at around 12 - whatever is reasonable compensation. 

From U-18 clip, Hughes again said/hinted they will not be drafting a LH d-man at 5.

So i think can write off Buium, Silayev and Dickinson as Hab options. And gotta think even RH-d are unlikely to be picked with Reinbacher/Mailloux looking promising, unless Mailloux is 'the one' being dealt with Jet pick for a forward i suppose.

Eiserman keeps scoring

IIHF - Statistics 2024 IIHF ICE HOCKEY U18 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

image.png

Great to see the Avs win. The worst the Winnipeg pick can be now is 27, the best is 24. 

To move up from 27 we need some teams to be in the final 4 that finished below Winnipeg in the standings that also didn't win their division as division winners automatically draft after Winnipeg. Teams in the final 4 that could improve the pick include the Avs, Oilers, Bruins, Vegas, Leafs and Nashville.  Obviously Nashville and the Leafs less likely to be in the final 4. 

We know that one of Rangers/Hurricanes will be in the final four and they both had more points than Winnipeg so it doesn't matter who wins between those two. 

One of the better Corey Pronman articles on he Athletic this morning, reflecting on the 2019 draft, five years later. Not a redraft but thoughts about the decisions.

Pronman notes that the 2019 US national team (which covered almost half of the top 15 picks that year) was thought of as Jack Hughes's team. And yet it wasn't all Hughes. Pronman writes:

Height would come to define the conversation about Caufield. The comparisons to Alex DeBrincat were inevitable and constant. There were a lot of risks discussed about Caufield: His size. Is he just a product of always playing on Hughes’ wing? His skating isn’t elite for a small guy. There’s only one guy in the NHL who looks him. He’s not a super competitive type like DeBrincat.

All those concerns are anywhere from valid to extremely valid. And if Caufield were just a very talented, small winger, he would be a replaceable piece. He needed to score in big numbers as a pro, and he has because he was more than just very talented; he had special qualities. His hands and shot are special and he has strong hockey sense. That USA team was so good in part because of how good Caufield was, not just because he happened to be put on the right line.

Bergevin made the right choice in picking Caufield--and got lucky that he was still available at #15. He may yet end up being the best of those USNTDP draft picks in 2019.

Alex Turcotte, on the other hand, hasn't been able to translate his USNTDP success into the NHL. He skates well, but doesn't really have other high-end skills to go with that.

And then there was Kakko, who was pretty much the consensus pick at #2. High skill and power, but with so-so skating. It didn't really work out so well, as his hockey sense has not been enough to compensate for the skating issue. Pronman's closing comments about risk management make a lot of sense here:

It proved to be a bigger issue than some expected, which was compounded by the fact the projection on Kakko’s skill plus hockey sense wasn’t met as well in the NHL. Projecting hockey sense is the hardest thing to do for NHL scouts. When a player is big and fast — more obvious traits to see and project — but the projection on their sense is a bit off, they’ll still be a big NHL body and skater. When the player is driven by his puck play, if they’re a bit off on that, the evaluation can go sideways quicker. This is what NHL scouts sometimes refer to as having a “backup game” when projecting NHL players.

Kakko had to score a ton with his feet to be a top forward. He didn’t, so he hasn’t become that. This is why teams get nervous when players at the very top of the draft have major risk factors. Think size issues for guys like Eiserman, Ivan Demidov and Konsta Helenius; hockey sense for Cayden Lindstrom or compete for Zayne Parekh. Teams picking right at the top of the draft tend to prefer players with cleaner evaluations.

I found this on another board. 

"I just listened Marco D'amico's interview on the French Radio 91.9.

He said that he did about 15 interviews so far with prospects of the June draft and Berkly Catton is the one who impressed him the most:

He said that usually the interviews are 15 minutes long but with Catton's passion of the game the interview was an hour.

He said that he is exactly the type of Martin St Louis cause he is a student of the game.

He gave an example:

Catton told him that last summer he spent hundreds of hours working on his shot but for him it was not enough so he décided to go to a goaltenders camp to speak with them. Catton asked them what were the areas where they were the most uncomfortable in the net. So with the answers that the goaltenders gave him he worked on his shot specically on that.

D'Amico said Catton had the best personnalty he interviewed so far because of his passion , his knowledge of the game etc.

Catton told him thst during the season he watched 15 habs games to study Nick Suzuki's game on 200 foot and Cole Caufield for his release.

I had Catton 3rd overall because of his IQ ( the most important quality for a hockey player). ...this convince me even more.."

Quotables

The team that takes Catton is getting a play-driver that can do much with the puck, and you won’t be disappointed. Don’t make the same mistake teams did by passing over Zach Benson last year.” – Steven Ellis, Daily Faceoff

“His game features a level of nuance and understated efficiency, resulting in play constantly moving in a positive direction. His physical tools aren’t elite, but his mind is. Catton doesn’t waste his opportunities often, playing the game like a tactician.” – Tony Ferrari, The Hockey News

Strengths

• Excellent skating
  • Goalscoring
  • Great skill set for an NHL center
  • Creative passer

Under Construction – Improvements to Make

• Filling out his frame a bit (will come with age)

NHL Potential

I see Catton becoming a really good top-six forward in the NHL, with no real weaknesses to hold him back and a ton of offense to give. I think there’s a real chance he could become a top-line center in the NHL, though I think it’s unlikely he’d be an elite one. I can also see him becoming a great top-six winger if the team that drafts him doesn’t need him down the middle or sees it as a better fit for him. I expect he’ll play all of his eligible seasons in the WHL before turning pro, meaning he’ll be a serious contender for WHL MVP next season (if he doesn’t already win it this year), and should be a big member of Canada’s team at the 2025 World Junior Championship.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Here is the interview with Berkly Catton, some great clips as well. 

Berkly Catton To Be a Top Canadiens Draft Target This Summer (msn.com)

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Quotables

The team that takes Catton is getting a play-driver that can do much with the puck, and you won’t be disappointed. Don’t make the same mistake teams did by passing over Zach Benson last year.” – Steven Ellis, Daily Faceoff

“His game features a level of nuance and understated efficiency, resulting in play constantly moving in a positive direction. His physical tools aren’t elite, but his mind is. Catton doesn’t waste his opportunities often, playing the game like a tactician.” – Tony Ferrari, The Hockey News

Strengths

• Excellent skating
  • Goalscoring
  • Great skill set for an NHL center
  • Creative passer

Under Construction – Improvements to Make

• Filling out his frame a bit (will come with age)

NHL Potential

I see Catton becoming a really good top-six forward in the NHL, with no real weaknesses to hold him back and a ton of offense to give. I think there’s a real chance he could become a top-line center in the NHL, though I think it’s unlikely he’d be an elite one. I can also see him becoming a great top-six winger if the team that drafts him doesn’t need him down the middle or sees it as a better fit for him. I expect he’ll play all of his eligible seasons in the WHL before turning pro, meaning he’ll be a serious contender for WHL MVP next season (if he doesn’t already win it this year), and should be a big member of Canada’s team at the 2025 World Junior Championship.

He is exactly the type of player that the Habs need. 

What a draft this is going to be. I would love another high pick because there are so many players 

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He is exactly the type of player that the Habs need. 

What a draft this is going to be. I would love another high pick because there are so many players 

I don't disagree, it seems like there is a lot more quality in this draft than originally thought. There have been a lot of fast risers, ie. Iginla, Sennecke. Hopefully the Winnipeg pick comes in around 25 and they can use it along with other assets to move up inside 15. I know that rarely happens and you need to find a team looking for a little more quantity than quality, I think San Jose is weak in the prospect pool on defense and they have 2 picks in the top 15, maybe a fit there. 

Catton is dynamic, only knock is his size.  Some mock drafts have him 2 or 3, others 10 or 11.  I have never seen a year where the picks from 2 - 15 have been so all over the place. 

2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft (mynhldraft.com)

Catton is similar in talent level (not style) to Cole Caufield, Zach Benson, etc.... we've seen these guys fall into the 10-15 range cause of size concerns repeatedly. 

I'm not sure that is the correct place to draft them, nor do I think GMs have changed. 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Catton is similar in talent level (not style) to Cole Caufield, Zach Benson, etc.... we've seen these guys fall into the 10-15 range cause of size concerns repeatedly. 

I'm not sure that is the correct place to draft them, nor do I think GMs have changed. 

This was Pronman's point in the Athletic article as well: "This is why teams get nervous when players at the very top of the draft have major risk factors. Think size issues for guys like Eiserman, Ivan Demidov and Konsta Helenius; hockey sense for Cayden Lindstrom or compete for Zayne Parekh. Teams picking right at the top of the draft tend to prefer players with cleaner evaluations."

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This was Pronman's point in the Athletic article as well: "This is why teams get nervous when players at the very top of the draft have major risk factors. Think size issues for guys like Eiserman, Ivan Demidov and Konsta Helenius; hockey sense for Cayden Lindstrom or compete for Zayne Parekh. Teams picking right at the top of the draft tend to prefer players with cleaner evaluations."

I think it was a good article but I don't get the size issues for the guys listed. Eiserman is listed at 6' 195 lbs, same size as Bobby Orr (who had to play defense) and Eiserman is only 17?  Helenius is listed at 5' 11" 180lbs, Demidov at 5"11, 168 lbs. I don't think of these guys as being small, especially for 17-18 year olds. 

Give me the 5'11" guy with the high hockey IQ over the bigger guy any day of the week. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Give me the 5'11" guy with the high hockey IQ over the bigger guy any day of the week.

I agree with that 100%, but Pronman is saying that the GMs want bigger players. Same thing happening with goalies, some skilled goalies are being overlooked because they are only 6' or 6'1, for example.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... Hopefully the Winnipeg pick comes in around 25 and they can use it along with other assets to move up inside 15. I know that rarely happens and you need to find a team looking for a little more quantity than quality ...

OR ... you need to include a young NHL/NHL-ready (but likely not top-6/top-pairing) player.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

OR ... you need to include a young NHL/NHL-ready (but likely not top-6/top-pairing) player.

For sure, when I say other assets that could include anything (additional picks, prospects, young NHL players ie Jordan Harris for example). 

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't disagree, it seems like there is a lot more quality in this draft than originally thought. There have been a lot of fast risers, ie. Iginla, Sennecke. Hopefully the Winnipeg pick comes in around 25 and they can use it along with other assets to move up inside 15. I know that rarely happens and you need to find a team looking for a little more quantity than quality, I think San Jose is weak in the prospect pool on defense and they have 2 picks in the top 15, maybe a fit there. 

Catton is dynamic, only knock is his size.  Some mock drafts have him 2 or 3, others 10 or 11.  I have never seen a year where the picks from 2 - 15 have been so all over the place. 

2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft (mynhldraft.com)

I can’t see SJS who are earlier in their rebuild trading a top 15 pick to get more picks and prospects. I think they will be a lottery team with top3 odds in 2025 as well. They should and probably will be trying to stock up on quality over quantity. I think along with Chicago they are pretty much a lock for a bottom 3 finish.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can’t see SJS who are earlier in their rebuild trading a top 15 pick to get more picks and prospects. I think they will be a lottery team with top3 odds in 2025 as well. They should and probably will be trying to stock up on quality over quantity. I think along with Chicago they are pretty much a lock for a bottom 3 finish.

You are probably right about SJS, I am likely grasping at straws a bit trying to find a trading partner to move up. It won't be easy to move up if that's what they want to do. 

Right now the Winnipeg pick is 27th. To move up we need the following to happen:

1) Edmonton to beat Vancouver (I think a good possibility)

2) Colorado to beat Dallas (I think that's about 50/50, two pretty equal teams). If Colorado plays Vegas then it doesn't matter who wins

3) The winner of Boston-Toronto to beat Florida (very unlikely in my opinion).

Worst case scenario is 27, best case is 24, most likely 25 or 26.

• Like 1