Game 39 - Canadiens vs Rangers - 7 p.m. - January 6, 2024

GHT120

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yah, get rid of the shootout. It was a sop to fans after the lockout, it has nothing to do with the team sport of hockey, and a lot of people around the league don’t like it.  

if it were me I’d make each game worth 3 points and make the damn shootout 5 shot minimum a la soccer. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I still.prefer the extra point of the shootout rather than a tie game and each teams getting 1 point.

Id go to 3 points for a regulation win though 

Regulation win 3 points

3v3 win 2 points with 1 point going to the loser. 

Same applies for the shootout

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Helmethead said:

Regulation win 3 points

3v3 win 2 points with 1 point going to the loser. 

Same applies for the shootout

Like the PWHL, I am for it!

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Like the PWHL, I am for it!

*****IF***** the quick spreadsheet I just ran is correct, based on points, that would put the Habs 6th worst in the NHL; 5th based on Pts% ... Montreal currently has the 2nd fewest regulation wins in the NHL.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

*****IF***** the quick spreadsheet I just ran is correct, based on points, that would put the Habs 6th worst in the NHL; 5th based on Pts% ... Montreal currently has the 2nd fewest regulation wins in the NHL.

It's worth noting, though, that three points for a regulation win will change many teams' tactics late in regulation, particularly when a game is tied, so the results won't be quite identical. 😊

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's worth noting, though, that three points for a regulation win will change many teams' tactics late in regulation, particularly when a game is tied, so the results won't be quite identical. 😊

COMPLETELY agree ... but trying to predict HOW is a fools errand.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

I still.prefer the extra point of the shootout rather than a tie game and each teams getting 1 point.

10000% right.   If they ever bring back tie games, I'm cancelling my season tickets for sure.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

To be REALLY radical, and with absolutely no chance it ever happens, 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an O/T win and 1 point for a shootout win ... with ZERO loser points ... true incentive to win in regulation and in O/T ... no "we've at least got a point" after 60 minutes.

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

To be REALLY radical, and with absolutely no chance it ever happens, 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an O/T win and 1 point for a shootout win ... with ZERO loser points ... true incentive to win in regulation and in O/T ... no "we've at least got a point" after 60 minutes.

Better yet. 2 regulation. 1 OT and SO. Neither are team hockey. 0 for losing.  OTL points are stupid.

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... and disagree. The same number of total points makes sense. Now, change it to be five points for a win, four for OT win and three for SO win. Two for SO loss or one for OT loss. Each step gets you closer to a tie, really (even if we don't have ties any more).

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

One of the reasons I want 3 points for a win is that I'm not a huge fan that some games are worth 3 points and some are worth 2.  I'd like every game to result in the same number of total points awarded. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

One of the reasons I want 3 points for a win is that I'm not a huge fan that some games are worth 3 points and some are worth 2.  I'd like every game to result in the same number of total points awarded. 

Understand and generally agree ... I would just like to increase the incentive to win as soon as possible ... I believe it would make close games more exciting.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

That's true. Every game should have e the same amount of points. It's the biggest argument for 321 vs 210