Year-End Press Conference: Stay the Course

GHT120

The one consistent message was that HuGo et al will look at all options this summer but will not make moves that are contrary to their long-term, rebuild plan.

If a defenceman is CLEARLY the best player available when they pick, he is open to taking a defenceman.

Gorton seemed genuine in saying he is happy in Montréal.

Hughes seemed comfortable with Geoff Molson's characterization of his goal for next season to "be in the mix" ... but didn't seem to feel that meant they had to make the playoffs or it was a failure ... Kent expects improvement. but doesn't know how much of an improvement will that be.

EDIT

Hughes said he and MSL will meet in the next few days to discuss the coaching staff, as well as then with the coaching staff ... Kent is open to discussion of whether adding experience was necessary ... I suppose that could be behind the bench or as a consultant.

Kent said he is open to all options ... that at this point the last couple of years they had no idea that Dach and Newhook were actually available or what Chicago/Colorado might want in return ... so impossible to say whether they plan to make trades for anything in particular.

Acknowledged that they need to add "offence" but did not commit to doing to specifically for next season ... which I took to mean they could add a Dach/Newhook type with an et=ye to future offensive upside than an immediate 24/25 impact offensive player.

EDIT 2

Gorton said "Montreal will become a place players want to play"

I think "being in the mix" next season is the exact right formulation. After three straight seasons of very high draft picks, the Habs should start becoming a relevant team again next year. Start converting some of those one-goal losses into one-goal wins; or maybe another way to put it is: start learning how to win. But it's obviously quite premature to say "playoffs or bust," or to make "win now" moves.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Nobody saw Newhook or Dach coming. 

It will be the same this summer.

Habs are going to add that 21-24 year old forward. No idea who but HuGo are going to get it done. 

I HOPE 🤞 

The exact timing is impossible to predict but yeah, a big move for an impact FW is surely in the Habs' fairly near future.

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Nobody saw Newhook or Dach coming. 

It will be the same this summer.

Habs are going to add that 21-24 year old forward. No idea who but HuGo are going to get it done. 

I HOPE 🤞 

It's true nobody saw Dach or Newhook coming. Is there a similar trade out there this year?  Maybe, maybe not. I know Carolina has some tough decisions to make this summer with all their UFA's/FA's. 

If not then concentrate on the draft and try like heck to get an elite forward that way. I think if there is one thing everyone on this board would agree with is the need for another elite forward or two. We need more scoring. It's exciting we finally have a true number one line that is young and going to get even better. We all talked a lot about Slaf's improvement but I also thought Caulfield looked terrific the last couple weeks of the year. Maybe next year is his breakout year.  And please, a healthy Dach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Gorton seemed genuine in saying he is happy in Montréal.

That's good since Molson made it clear the other day he will not grant Gorton permission to talk to other teams.

• Like 1

As much as it pains me to see another year of rebuilding hockey, it's been way overdue in Montreal.  It's been about 20 years of just ok teams, that may or may not make the playoffs, but had no real shot at a cup.  The shots they did have, nobody really saw coming.  For the sake of 10-15 years of high quality hockey as the prospect, I'm happy they're staying committed to the full rebuild.

• Like 1

Having a full season with a complete second line will do wonders for us. 

Heck, even our first line was saddled with asshats like Anderson for much of the season. Imagine what a complete season with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky might do. 

Habs played much of this season with one first line, two third lines, and a fourth line. Not to mention only one top D pairing and two other pairings that were bottom pairing level. 

We will be better next year 

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

As much as it pains me to see another year of rebuilding hockey, it's been way overdue in Monbtreal.  It's been about 20 years of just ok teams, that may or may not make the playoffs, but had no real shot at a cup.  The shots they did have, nobody really saw coming.  For the sake of 10-15 years of high quality hockey as the prospect, I'm happy they're staying committed to the full rebuild.

Agree 100%

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Having a full season with a complete second line will do wonders for us. 

Heck, even our first line was saddled with asshats like Anderson for much of the season. Imagine what a complete season with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky might do. 

Habs played much of this season with one first line, two third lines, and a fourth line. Not to mention only one top D pairing and two other pairings that were bottom pairing level. 

We will be better next year 

Slaf was also an “ass hat” (since you like that term) for the first two months of the season, he wasn’t playing like he belonged in league at start of year.  
He turned into a viable top 6 option and obv we are all happy for that.

point being,
Things change, banking on them staying the same is futile.

Slaf also wasnt playing 1st line (or even top 6) minutes, or with the best linemates early on.

image.png