Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Hurricanes | 04/30/06

Spider-Man NL

We aren't out of it, we've come back from further down, and Kovalev will not let this team quit. We gotta believe, we can do it!

:ghg: :ghg: :ghg:

PS: I love the guys picking apart the coaching staff and calling them idiots? How many Stanley Cup Rings do u have lying at home?

Gainey: I believe he won his rings under Scotty Bowman and then his last one under Jean Perron. Neither of those guys were stiffs.

Carbo: Won his cups in Montreal under Perron and Demers. Won his cup in Dallas under Ken Hitchcock. These guys are all exciteable types.

I'm not saying that coaches that are very calm and quietly cerebral can't win...but coaches like that usually require a certain type of team. This group of Habs needs at the very least a 'shot in the arm' type coach, if not a 'kick in the ass' type coach, from what I've seen of them thus far.

If we even had a Mark Messier type player that could fulfill that role for Bob, it might work....but I don't see there being anyone in that room with that type of presence.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And, btw...I have disagreed with Bob, but I'd definitely stop short of calling him an idiot. I'm sure he learned a thing or two playing as part of the dynasty.

And I think some of us need to remember the role Gainey is playing in Montreal.

The team is still, even now, recovering from the wreck that Houle (and to a lesser extent Savard, but he drafted well) made of the team. Gainey came in and righted it pretty quickly. The Kovalev trade was a steal, and we have yet to really appreciate how the Theo-Aebischer trade will pan out.

When the Habs opened up on fire in October, Gainey said. "We're playing well, but our goal this season is to be comphetitive and make the playoffs."

During the dark days of Dec/Jan, he said the same thing.

This team is on the rise, so we can't be too upset with losing to a very good team in the first round.

Still, I have a feeling this one's going 7 games. Who knows?

At least we dont have to worry about someone to replace Ribeiro when we ditch him on the way back to montreal... Plekanec can do that :D

Leave it to Air Canada, the'll do it for us. They will 'accidently" lose the Habs luggage.

Some good comments here. I've said it before and I'll say it again: this team has two GLARING needs: a legitimate no.2/no.1A centreman to spell off Koivu (Arnott?) and a legitimate No.2/No.1A defenceman to spell off Markhov. Until we acquire these players, or they develop from within, we won't contend. But honestly, if we were to add these elements, I think we'd go pretty deep.

It's just unfortunate that Koivu had to go down, that's all. He and Markhov are clearly the irreplaceable ingredients, precisely because we have no one else to step into the breach in their absence.

Can we now officially say that Huet has proven he can be a No.1 goalie in season AND playoffs, though? (Imagine how Dallas Satrs fans are feeling!)

The team is still, even now, recovering from the wreck that Houle (and to a lesser extent Savard, but he drafted well) made of the team. Gainey came in and righted it pretty quickly. The Kovalev trade was a steal, and we have yet to really appreciate how the Theo-Aebischer trade will pan out.

When the Habs opened up on fire in October, Gainey said. "We're playing well, but our goal this season is to be comphetitive and make the playoffs."

This team is on the rise, so we can't be too upset with losing to a very good team in the first round.

Hehe... what you said here really calmed me down... Its just that these onegoal losses are so hard to take... And when I feel I have more adrenalin in me then the players on the ice it just makes me crazy :P

Some good comments here. I've said it before and I'll say it again: this team has two GLARING needs: a legitimate no.2/no.1A centreman to spell off Koivu (Arnott?) and a legitimate No.2/No.1A defenceman to spell off Markhov. Until we acquire these players, or they develop from within, we won't contend. But honestly, if we were to add these elements, I think we'd go pretty deep.

It's just unfortunate that Koivu had to go down, that's all. He and Markhov are clearly the irreplaceable ingredients, precisely because we have no one else to step into the breach in their absence.

Can we now officially say that Huet has proven he can be a No.1 goalie in season AND playoffs, though? (Imagine how Dallas Satrs fans are feeling!)

What does Dallas Stars have to do with Huet doing great?

no doubt

Hehe... what you said here really calmed me down... Its just that these onegoal losses are so hard to take... And when I feel I have more adrenalin in me then the players on the ice it just makes me crazy :P

I hear ya. Put me on the ice for one shift, just one, and at least I'd run in to somebody....

....and then spend the next month in traction.

I think the majority of the team played very hard. I just think that the minority of guys who looked dead out there (Ribs, Bulis, and Souray) are all people notice since they look so bad. Other guys like Dandy were flying out there.

Who are some of the big free agents out there coming up? With the new CBA I bet the habs could atleast get one or two of them.

see about 1000 threads on this around the trade deadline

Exactly!!!!!!

weather we beat carolina or not, Gainey will make changes to our roster next year. We have some really big holes on this team and Gainey knows it too. Give him a chance to respond. The moves he has made so far both with trades and contracts has really set us up for next year. Bob can make major changes or minor changes.

I for one believe a replacement for Ribs (ribs gone) and a replacement for Souray (Souray used differently on the team). We may see a new winger on the team too (plus Kostitsyn)

Our future is bright and we are on track.

Well, I was chatting on the phone during most of the third, but sheesh, I come back and find doomsday written all over! Other than an abysmal first period (save the last couple of minutes), Montreal played a great second, capped by Kovalev's goal, and did play hard in the third. The Canes didn't quit when they were down 2-0, so that Habs aren't throwing in the towel down 3-2. They shouldn't be dejected after this game, they played well enough to win, but couldn't bury it behind Ward.

The Habs will come out flying on Tuesday and send the series back to Carolina for game 7. Instead of being the typical whining Montreal fan, how about everyone works to get behind this team! Go Habs!

Exactly!!!!!!

weather we beat carolina or not, Gainey will make changes to our roster next year. We have some really big holes on this team and Gainey knows it too. Give him a chance to respond. The moves he has made so far both with trades and contracts has really set us up for next year. Bob can make major changes or minor changes.

I for one believe a replacement for Ribs (ribs gone) and a replacement for Souray (Souray used differently on the team). We may see a new winger on the team too (plus Kostitsyn)

Our future is bright and we are on track.

Ye... Ribs has to go... his mediacomments and lack of heart is so bad for the team that it wouldnt help if he got 100 points and 50 goals...

Well regardless if we win or lose the rest of this series (hopefully WIN) we have learned a few things and it will bode well for the future.

1. Ribeiro will not be back next year, the guy is the furthest thing from clutch. He doesn't perform in the playoffs or when the team needs him.

2. Bulis has sealed his fate with his floating otnight, he will not be back someone else can sign him as UFA.

3. Sourray is one of teh worst defensive players i've seen in a while.

Plex, Zhogs and Zed have stepped up, Kovy and Koivu are the stars. If we can get a legitimate second line center a la Arnott. And a legitimate #2 Dman to replace Sourray and we have ourselves one hell of a team.

TSN quoted Gainey as being very angry about tonights game. Lack of effort, especially by Kovalev.....

If you need to take your mind off tonights loss just turn on TSN and watch some of the SJ/Nashville game. Glen Healy will take your mind right of it.

Healy is in good form :monkey:

The Ribs situation is a little more complex than some people are giving credit for. I actually think he has done a decent job in most games this series, save for game 4 where his whole line was garbage.

He simply has no finish right now and needs one goal to get him going. God knows hes had his chances.

Having said this, IMO he has no long term future on this team and won't be around for much longer. I just haven't found that he has played as bad as some people are saying, i mean its not like hes invisible out there.

What happened to Markov? Isn't he suppose to be our QB on the PP? When he was hurt earlier in the year, EVERYONE (Most) we're saying we we losing because he wasn't in the lineup............what about now?

Rivet and DANDENAULT (who has 11 career playoff points 3 this year) have more points than Markov.......

He's 5th in D scoring, yet is suppose to be our #1 Dman? I agree we need help up front, but we need it on the backend as well!

The Stars are carrying Turco like an albatross - the second coming of Jim Carrey. Huet, meanwhile, has been as good in the playoffs as in the season. He's a keeper. I LOVE what Bob's done with our goaltending - two fine goalies, cheaply. :king:

Arnott or Briere - those guys would make good second-line C. Ship Ribs to the Swedish Elite League, where he belongs (perhaps as a No.2 centre behind Stephane Lebeau :lol: )

I agree Markov definitely needs to step up. OUr best 2 D have clearly been Bouillon and dandenault and our worst clearly Sourray and Rivet. Markov is suffering on the powerplay with the complete boneheadedness all around.

Ribeiro isn't invisible I notice him every time he gives up the puck and gets pinned in his own zone. He hasn't finnished all year and I haven't seen any of his great creativity and passing in a very very long time. But Quebecois I respect your objectivity and your assessment. At least we can agree he likely won't be back

The Stars are carrying Turco like an albatross - the second coming of Jim Carrey. Huet, meanwhile, has been as good in the playoffs as in the season. He's a keeper. I LOVE what Bob's done with our goaltending - two fine goalies, cheaply. :king:

Arnott or Briere - those guys would make good second-line C. Ship Ribs to the Swedish Elite League, where he belongs (perhaps as a No.2 centre behind Stephane Lebeau :lol: )

HAHAHA :lol:

That made me laugh out loud, I didn't think that was possible after such a disheartening loss. Kudos to you Cuke

Why would he belong here in sweden? and Lebeau hasnt been here as far as I know... :P

Send him to Italy where he can be a star... ye right...