Habs Resign Ribiero, Cote

smon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need to keep him w/Kovy who'll hold him accountable (I hope!)

I'd love to see Kovy grab Ribs by the throat after a 'floating' shift a-la Barry Bonds on Jeff Kent. That's what it's going to take maybe...

Well, Ribs is saying the right things on the RDS site - acknowledging that he needs to improve his game and also, apparently unprompted, defending Gainey against his detractors:

"Présentement, j'ai le contrat et c'est à moi de mieux performer. Quelques fois, je ris des commentaires à propos des échanges ou à propos de Bob Gainey. Je suis certain que Bob essaie par tous les moyens d'améliorer l'équipe et s'il a une chance d'aller chercher un joueur pour améliorer l'équipe, il va le faire."

Translated: he know he has to do better and he laughs at what some people are saying about Bob not doing everything in his power to improve the team.

Heck, if Ribs recovers his 2003-04 form, after a 14-point drop last season, he'd be a reasonable signing at $2 mil. I really hope he does find his game - that will give him some value as a tradeable asset and then, finally, Bob can move him :lol:

For the record, though, I don't think he has the footspeed for the new NHL.

I wish him the best of luck...who knows perhaps he'll turn out to be a good player next season..

Honestly I hope he scores 100pts next season :P

Don't laugh, anything's possible ;)

I wish him the best of luck...who knows perhaps he'll turn out to be a good player next season..

Honestly I hope he scores 100pts next season :P

Don't laugh, anything's possible ;)

Anything IS possible... I'd love to see Ribs regain his form... Maybe if he spends his summer biking and rollerblading, he'll improve his speed a bit...

I love the first 2 sentences from the TSN article:

"The Montreal Canadiens re-signed the 26-year-old centre to a one-year, $1.9 million US contract on Thursday.

Financial terms were not disclosed."

LOL, I was just about to bring that to everyone's attention... glad I wasn't the only one who caught that mess up.

Anything IS possible... I'd love to see Ribs regain his form... Maybe if he spends his summer biking and rollerblading, he'll improve his speed a bit...

I hope you're right. I have an idea he's probably partying and sniffin nose candy though.

The thing is if Mr Gainey sign Ribs for 1.9, then want well Ryder get and i wonder want gainey offer him.If ribs really got 1.9 then i think ryder well atleast get 2.5-3. I wish they could of work something out and sign ryder to a 3 year deal..

The thing is if Mr Gainey sign Ribs for 1.9, then want well Ryder get and i wonder want gainey offer him.If ribs really got 1.9 then i think ryder well atleast get 2.5-3. I wish they could of work something out and sign ryder to a 3 year deal..

Ryder has asked for $2.5, I think the hang up is on the term of the deal.

Ryder has asked for $2.5, I think the hang up is on the term of the deal.

I say give Ryder 2 mil, and up to 1 mil in bonuses... Well worthwhile if he scores 50 :D

he doent win that many face offs and i dont think he would win at arbitration either:)

True TRUE DAT, I'll cheer for Ribs espesially that he plays for the HABS again but my cheers are really muffed in my jersey since BG gave him 2 f***en' million, does anyone else belive 1.1 plus performance bonus'????

That's the spirit!

But we play Nashville about......... once a decade?

As often as they play Columbus, so once every 3 years. Once every 6 years at home and once every 6 years on the road.

I HATE THIS SCHEDULE. Seriously, it's hell knowing my team only comes to town once every six years.

True TRUE DAT, I'll cheer for Ribs espesially that he plays for the HABS again but my cheers are really muffed in my jersey since BG gave him 2 f***en' million, does anyone else belive 1.1 plus performance bonus'????

Performance bonuses are no longer allowed except for players over 35 who signed a 1 year contract.

As for the 1.9M$ to Ribs, that's is value, wheter we like it or not. Just compare to similar players with similar experience.

Performance bonuses are no longer allowed except for players over 35 who signed a 1 year contract.

As for the 1.9M$ to Ribs, that's is value, wheter we like it or not. Just compare to similar players with similar experience.

You're right, it is his value right now.

Not that bad really. I'd rather have Ribs at $1.9 then Arnott or Savard at $5M

I'd love to see Kovy grab Ribs by the throat after a 'floating' shift a-la Barry Bonds on Jeff Kent. That's what it's going to take maybe...

Doubt it'll happen. Ribs defended Kovalev after the last playoffs when Gainey pointed fingers at Kovy.

Anyway, I think the two main problems Ribs had in previous years are gone. One's in Colorado and the other has been released! :P

Edited by KoZed

And one of the most classless punters in the game returns. Joy and bliss. The folks at RDS must be whooping it up since The Franchise is back.

Disappointing move by Gainey, though it's also an understandable hockey move. I would have hoped the GM would see not signing him as addition by subtraction, however he obviously feels that King Ribby can serve a useful purpose on the ice that cannot be otherwise filled at this point in time.

This unfortunately slows Gainey's quiet purge of all the classless elements in Montreal. A downer for fans who are sick of the three-ring circus.

Well said.

I'm not surprised that the Habs resigned Ribeiro. I am surprised that he received such a big raise [72% !!!], considering his disappointing season. I am not surprised that it's only for one season.

I noticed that Ribeiro's defence did improve over the second part of the season; he was a plus 6 after the Olympic break to bring his overall plus/minus stat up to -6. Unfortunately, his offence suffered a lot [16 points in 25 games]. I believe the coaches wanted Ribeiro to concentrate on defence more so after Julien was fired.

Ribeiro's lack of speed was really noticeable in the new NHL. The previous season when the game was slower due to the clutching and grabbing, his lack of speed wasn't as noticeable. Ribeiro has good play making ability and a good but underrated & underused wrist shot. His skating has improved since he first started in the NHL, but he has to work very hard in the offseason to continue to improve it to get back to his 65 point season again. If he falters again, it will be practically impossible to trade him since his contract is relatively high for a player of his nature.

Even Ribeiro said he didn't know why he got such a big raise.

I think Gainey may have overpaid him on purpose to show him that he has confidence in him and that he now has to live up to his contract. It seems to me that RIbeiro's attitude has improved a little and that without Theo and Dagenais he may do better.

How bout we can trade ribiero cuz hes signed now :D CAMMON WASHINGTON NEEDS A PLAYMAKER !

Actually they don't need a playmaker now that they've drafted Backstrom, who was apparently the most NHL-ready prospect in the last draft...

As often as they play Columbus, so once every 3 years. Once every 6 years at home and once every 6 years on the road.

I HATE THIS SCHEDULE. Seriously, it's hell knowing my team only comes to town once every six years.

No no no, each team plays TWO out-of-conference divisions every year, so Columbus/Nashville will play Montreal TWICE every three years. Remember, we played both the Pacific and North-west divisions last year.

I wish my boss would give me a 72% raise if I didn't do a good job. Maybe I've been doing it all wrong... :blink:

ditto