Zednik Traded

simonus

I wish Zeddy well... I'd hoped that he'd bounce back this year, but this trade could work out for both us and Zeddy...

Best of luck Zeddy! (Except when you play us)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the distinct impression that Bob didn't like Zednik's character or work ethic. As coach he basically drove him off the first two lines. Gainey clearly makes moves based as much on his assessment of a player's character as his stats or raw skill, which is a good thing.

Sounds like Johnson will be a much more versatile player than Zed - again, a very 'Gainey' kind of acquisition. And Samsonov will more than make up for Zed's absent offence, assuming he stays healthy.

The Ovechkin thing, meh. It's not like he made a star out of that idiot Zubrus...

when he emerges with ovechkin people are going to cry about it

:lol:

Well how couldnt Zeds stats go up? He'll be playing with AO!! :hockey:

Or maybe we will all have the last laugh, when AO's stat drop off the top 40. :P

I did want Zed gone, but I think Bob could have got more for him than a 3rd rnd pick. :huh:

I know how this move is gonna turn out. Zednik will be placed on a line with Ovechkin and he will put up like 85 points. Then everyone will get on Gaineys case sayin what a bad trade it was. But of course his numbers are going to go up if he's playing with Ovechkin. Just like LeClair, playing on a line with an at the time Dominant Eric Lindros didn't hurt his numbers

Zednik will not put up 85 Points. He's not that good of a passer. But he may very well score 35 goals.

If he plays with Ovechkin and stays healthy. I say 35 goals and 65 Points.

great move on the part of BG,

two right handed shots,

one guy to take some scoring pressure off Ryder,

two trird round picks as opposed to one tird and one fourth,

IN BOB WE TRUST!!!

GO HABS GO!

Nice article Macaskill.

I do think Zednik will have a better season next year than last regardless of who he plays with in DC.

I can almost hear Yoda, injuries leads to missing games, missing games lowers confidence, lower confidence makes one useless...

Ok, it's a huge stretch as far as metaphors go, but some of you will get my drift.

Zed will bounce back and good for him, I am no traitor, when I cheer for you as a habs, I will at least wish you well when you leave...unless you did sweet snap all for us when you were here. I can't say that about Zed. Stupid McLaren...

:ninja:

Nice work Bob! I sleep better with you as GM. And Samsonov for 3.5-ish mil, awesome!

Edited by The Saint

I know how this move is gonna turn out. Zednik will be placed on a line with Ovechkin and he will put up like 85 points. Then everyone will get on Gaineys case sayin what a bad trade it was. But of course his numbers are going to go up if he's playing with Ovechkin. Just like LeClair, playing on a line with an at the time Dominant Eric Lindros didn't hurt his numbers

Zednik would have to score 65 goals to get 85 points; because he sure as hell can't get more than 20 assists EVEN with Ovechkin.

Zednik would have to score 65 goals to get 85 points; because he sure as hell can't get more than 20 assists EVEN with Ovechkin.

got that right..just ask zubrus

I had the distinct impression that Bob didn't like Zednik's character or work ethic. As coach he basically drove him off the first two lines. Gainey clearly makes moves based as much on his assessment of a player's character as his stats or raw skill, which is a good thing.

Sounds like Johnson will be a much more versatile player than Zed - again, a very 'Gainey' kind of acquisition. And Samsonov will more than make up for Zed's absent offence, assuming he stays healthy.

The Ovechkin thing, meh. It's not like he made a star out of that idiot Zubrus...

I agree, bye bye Zed.

When people are saying they wish BG got more for Zednik than a 3rd round pick, you have to remember we have no room on our roster for a player, so the best move he could of done is a 2nd rd. pick and who in their right mind would pay that for Zednik? Draft's are very important, and the more picks you have the better, I think this was the perfect move.

This is the kind of deal that I've been saying all along is typical of Gainey's methods.

He has moved an unhappy & expendable player, he has acquired equal value with better attitude, and all it cost him was to move from a 4th round pick to an extra 3rd round pick next year!

No future has been spent, he has obtained a player of the mould he prefers, not gained any extra salary in the process, moved unwanted merchandise, and he actually managed to step up a round in the draft in the process.

Not a blockbuster by any means, but a solid move that flew in under the radar like a stealth bomber.......

Does it make them an immediate contender - no, but they are just that much better as a result of some low key moves.

Typical Gainey at his best - he never reacts to public pressure or panic needlessly, it's all part of a patient master plan to build a cup winner the smart way.

Edited by beliveau1

For further proof that Johnson is an excellent acquisition, dig the Phoenix Coyotes' fans' response to losing him for a 4th rounder:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=270492

Long story short: they wanna puke :lol:

Gainey = :king:

By the linked-to forum's Sinurgy:

Johnson is not a rough type player but he doesn't shy away from contact. He'll go in the corners if he has to. He has a pretty good shot but I think the biggest thing Johnson brings to the table is his ability to help other players. It seemed like anytime someone was in a slump here in Phoenix, they'd put them on a line with Johnson and they'd start producing again. He's very much a glue type of player and at the moment I'm thinking the Coyotes were stupid to trade him for a freakin 4th rounder.

Awesome. Merci buckets Chicoutimi.

When people are saying they wish BG got more for Zednik than a 3rd round pick, you have to remember we have no room on our roster for a player, so the best move he could of done is a 2nd rd. pick and who in their right mind would pay that for Zednik?

washington as all the tools to finish dead last so our brand new 3rd round pick is quite close of a late second round.

thats alot for zednik

:ghg:

That makes more sense. :D

But couldn't we have gotten more then a pick for zednik

although I also figure Johnson is worth more then a fourth rounder

Yeah, I'm going to miss Zed. I remember the 1997 playoffs when Washington met Detroit. Up until that series, there was a rookie who I was fascinated with: Richard Zednik. When Andre Savard traded for him I was delighted. I thought that this trade was the true turing point from medicrity to legitimacy for les Canadiens.

It turned out to be true. But my initial thinking was that Zed would be around longer and be a part of our master plan for Stanley.

I hate to see him go. I had high hopes. But, at least Gainey practically made this Johnson for Zednik.

I love how Gainey manages to morgage the future with the Johnson move and then restocks within half an hour. Not only that, but to lose a 4th and acquire a 3rd? I love this GM! :D

I'll miss you Zed. Good luck unless you stand in our way :D

washington as all the tools to finish dead last so our brand new 3rd round pick is quite close of a late second round.

thats alot for zednik

:ghg:

Washingotn has even more tools to sneak into the playoffs. Ovechkin only got better and they should be joined by Alexander Semin and Zednik. Guys like Eric Fehr should also be better. I can't think of any big UFA signings they made though. I don't think they'll make it but they'll do better than last year. Maybe 10th in the East or something.

From a Mike Johnson article at Canada.com :

Johnson has had three 20-goal seasons in his career, but his most impressive stats may be the fact he's plus-32 for his career. He has good speed and is a right-handed shot. That's important because last year, the only Canadiens forward with a right-handed shot was Michael Ryder.

[...] Johnson said trades always come as a surprise this is the fourth time he has been traded but that he's happy to be coming to Montreal.

"It will be a change in the weather from Phoenix and my wife and I will be shopping for new winter clothes, but Montreal's a great hockey town and I think we're going to have a good team."

Johnson said he has an understanding of French, but doesn't speak it very well. But he's hoping to improve and he plans to give his daughters, ages two and four months, a chance to learn the language.

"I took it in high school, which was a long time ago, but I'm used to hearing it because I've roomed with Daniel Briere and Denis Gauthier."

Edited by MCeh

• 2 months later...