New Jersey Gets Away With It.....

brobin

Seems that the Devils just got a free gift. They signed two vets for dumb amounts and it didn't work out. They buy their way out of the Malakov screw up with a pick, now the league gives them relief on Mogilny.

Personally, I think this is a mistake. They took a risk on Mogilny and they should pay the consequences.

The other GMs must be really ticked off with this.

How did they get relief on Mogilny?

Because I know a ton of teams with injured stars that could protest this.

But then again Bettmans a New Jersey boy, somebody is playing favourites.

I did not know he was from the swamp :blink:

How did they get relief on Mogilny?

Because I know a ton of teams with injured stars that could protest this.

But then again Bettmans a New Jersey boy, somebody is playing favourites.

Mogilny got listed as a LTI (Long Term Injury) so he doesn't count against the cap. Happened to the Avs a few times last season with Konowalchuk, Vaananen and Svatos.

Mogilny got listed as a LTI (Long Term Injury) so he doesn't count against the cap. Happened to the Avs a few times last season with Konowalchuk, Vaananen and Svatos.

I think he still counts for the cap ... but NJ will be able to go over it by the amount of his salary ... which is basically the same thing :wacko: ... but i've read that if mogilny comes back and is cleared to play then NJ could be in for a rude awakening. :o

I think he still counts for the cap ... but NJ will be able to go over it by the amount of his salary ... which is basically the same thing :wacko: ... but i've read that if mogilny comes back and is cleared to play then NJ could be in for a rude awakening. :o

Yeah, thats how it works but it is the same thing. Mogilny won't come back, he's done. I don't know if we'll see him in the NHL again.

As I recall, he was not dropped because of an injury last year. He sucked and was sent down.

This injury is rather convenient. Based on what I say, Boullion could claim he has a long term knee injury so he sucks now.....

As I recall, he was not dropped because of an injury last year. He sucked and was sent down.

This injury is rather convenient. Based on what I say, Boullion could claim he has a long term knee injury so he sucks now.....

Actually because Boullion is injured the money he would have made until he comes back will not count against the cap <_< .... so say in theory if they called someone up from Hamilton to take Boullion's spot his salary would count against the cap in stead of Boullion's.

To clarify...I believe if a player is placed on the injured reserve (meaning he is injured for several weeks) then his salary during his injury does not count against the cap. However, if the player is over the age of 35 then his salary does count. In Mogilny's case...he had to be diagnosed by doctors saying he could not play hockey again due to injury...I think. That is why NJ got away with it.

Looks like the rest of the league is unhappy with it and I don't blame them.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bo...nzie/?ID=179719

Did I read this right?

"Ditto for the New York Islanders with retired goalie cum GM Garth Snow and the Toronto Maple Leafs with the retired Tie Domi. "

Edited by Mr. Nasty

They can consider themselves very lucky to get away with it so easilly. They better have learnt their lessons tough becasue if they keep trading 1st draft pikcs to get rid of bad contracts they will cripple their team in the long run.

GARBAGE!

If there are any NJ fans out there they should be pleased that NJ is part of the New York scene.

:angry:

Trash-Bag.gif

Any team could of gotten away with it Molginly cant play again

:king:

Lou is the man, he always finds ways to get us out of trouble...which is a good thing cause he always gets us in trouble. but yeah this is great B)

Edited by The NJ Devil

Look at it this way... Lou did escape Mogilny, but I think the reasoning is that Tie Dummi, Garth Snow etcetera could play but choose not to... Mogilny has a serious degenerative hip disease. The key to this loop-hole is that an independent doc chosen by the NHL has to confirm the LTI diagnosis. Also Lou was clever by suspending Malakov...you can't trade a player who has officially filed retirement papers.

Two things: Lou's screw-up cost a 1st round draft pick and kept some of his core players off the ice for all of training camp. Not a great way to start the season amd that could come back to haunt them.

I wonder why Booby Clarke didnt put an offer sheet in on one of NJ players... he could have forced Lou's hand?

Two things: Lou's screw-up cost a 1st round draft pick and kept some of his core players off the ice for all of training camp. Not a great way to start the season amd that could come back to haunt them.

gionta martin and clemensen have been in camp for months. I think it was a thing when they had deals worked out, but just couldnt announce them cause of cap problems

Any team could of gotten away with it Molginly cant play again

:king:

Lou is the man, he always finds ways to get us out of trouble...which is a good thing cause he always gets us in trouble. but yeah this is great B)

I still ticked because if it was our team...?

...I'm probably getting "conspiracy theory"ish, but it still makes me wonder. For that reason I am :angry:

The rule is very cloudy too.

I'm more pissed about the Malakov move. It's a pretty bizarre trade. Not a bad one. Just bizarre

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

And I have a report from letsgodevils.com saying that Gionta is signed for 3 years/12 M Deal

I dont know what the sharks were thinking, the pick was the only person that has a chance to play and we dont even know who he is yet

Edited by The NJ Devil

I saw that earlier on TSN. I didn't know the numbers. Well, Lou has managed to possibly get a cup this year.

Possibly. But, it's always more comforting to hear that then "forget it".

I know why I'm pissed about the trades and the deals. Bob McKenzie has it summed up here.

I'm annoyed because once again we have the NO HEAD LEAGUE. The one with no brain. This is actually the NHL's fault. Stupid rules and responses to situations all the time. The CBA is shady. What do they do?

Daly: "Er, um, Mr Bettman. This rule is sketchy".

Bettman: "Get Ted Saskin in here. The board will vote on this".

Once again the NHL has me griping. I have nothing against New Jersey except playoffs and 8 points.

This league really get's on my nerves sometimes. How many rules do they need? Do they have enough rules? :puke: John Ziegler, Clarence Campbell...I'll stop there

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I'm sure we all would have been praising the injury rule if Koivu would have been unable to play for an extended period of time.

I'm not upset at all about anything that has happened. NJ sacraficed a 1st round pick to clear 3.5 million, a steep price when getting (basically) nothing in return for the 1st rounder. Lou basically traded the 1st for Brian Gionta, a player he already owned. That's a steep price if you ask me.