Would Hal Gill be the ultimate teacher for Tinordi?

Meller93

Hal Gil was placed on waivers today. I feel like he could be an awesome mentor for the young defense, Tinordi especially. Gill played here hardly a year ago and was loved in Montreal. Would it make sense to claim him?

Wasn't there some sort of bad history between him and Therrien? Something along the lines of Gill noting that when the Habs hired Therrien, there was no way he was coming back?

That would be correct. Also, Gill still has good value as a sixth defenceman on the PK, especially over a guy like Zanon.

Although I'm sure he'd help the Pk (could they get any worse?), there's no place for Skillz.

What is going on here? People suddenly consider the D-corps that melted down in the last month and against Ottawa to be more than adequate?? On what planet is that even thinkable?

I'm sorry, but we MUST get ourselves a reliable, physical, defensive defenceman who can tide us over until Emelin returns - and preferably beyond that, in case Emelin struggles following his injury. It's all well and good to repose our faith in Tinordi, and I agree that he should eventually become "that guy"...but he wasn't against Ottawa and there's no particular reason to think he'll take a giant leap forward in the first half of next season. Pateryn has even less experience. This is reminding me of the 2011 season, when we went in with ZERO proven offensive defencemen after Subban (just a bunch of rookies like Diaz). The result was a cataclysmically bad power play that ended up destroying the season and the entire team. Now we are contemplating an analogous scenario in our own zone.

What we need is a rugged D-man on a two-year deal. I don't know if that's possible, but I do know that going into next season with our current configuration is a bad idea.

I really think you're suffering from late season panic.

I know I'm putting a lot of confidence in our prospects but that's because I believe they will pan out. I also think people have this concept that Beaulieu is soft. Once Bealieu and Tinordi have their confidence in an NHL game we are going to be extremely hard to play against.

Maybe I'm panicking.

However, our D configuration suffers from lack of depth in the area of rugged defensive defencemen. We have one proven player of this profile, and he will miss half the season. You're proposing to throw raw rookies into the breach. That may work out. If it doesn't, then we will have serious problems. I prefer a lower-risk approach that doesn't ask Tinordi to replace Emelin right off the bat.

In my opinion, if you can replace Diaz with more two-way defenseman (less offense but more physicality), then the Habs can survive Emelin's absence with Tinordi and Beaulieu getting icetime as required.

But if Bouillon is still a top 6 guy by January, then the team will have problems.

What is going on here? People suddenly consider the D-corps that melted down in the last month and against Ottawa to be more than adequate?? On what planet is that even thinkable?

I'm sorry, but we MUST get ourselves a reliable, physical, defensive defenceman who can tide us over until Emelin returns - and preferably beyond that, in case Emelin struggles following his injury. It's all well and good to repose our faith in Tinordi, and I agree that he should eventually become "that guy"...but he wasn't against Ottawa and there's no particular reason to think he'll take a giant leap forward in the first half of next season. Pateryn has even less experience. This is reminding me of the 2011 season, when we went in with ZERO proven offensive defencemen after Subban (just a bunch of rookies like Diaz). The result was a cataclysmically bad power play that ended up destroying the season and the entire team. Now we are contemplating an analogous scenario in our own zone.

What we need is a rugged D-man on a two-year deal. I don't know if that's possible, but I do know that going into next season with our current configuration is a bad idea.

The same posters that excused Prices poor playoff performance due to our shoddy defence are now saying our defence is fine,including Diaz,Boullion and Drewiske. We need two mean, physical, crease-clearing, D-men.I'd be very surprised if Emelin comes back next year at the same physical level he was before the injury

Edited by jcc10

Was barely top four for the Marlies. How many times do I have to repeat this?

Another 10 and it still won't make a difference. ;-) Before he left Montreal he was insulated on the top pairing and faired reasonably well. No reason he can't come back and be insulated in the bottom paring or as a depth guy. Especially if the price is right. My guess is that he can play almost anywhere else in the NHL other than Toronto and come out looking better.

Was barely top four for the Marlies. How many times do I have to repeat this?

I wouldn't look into the ice time and games played too much. There are veteran roster restrictions down there and the Marlies carry a ton of veterans and besides, of course they wouldn't play him much since they knew they were buying him out, similar to what the Habs did with Kaberle. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to give him a deal unless it was for a cheap enough amount that he could be waived/farmed out without any penalty on the cap (so a cap hit no greater than $925k) if he struggles in camp or during the year. He can't be counted on at this point to be a regular NHL d-man.

I wouldn't look into the ice time and games played too much. There are veteran roster restrictions down there and the Marlies carry a ton of veterans and besides, of course they wouldn't play him much since they knew they were buying him out, similar to what the Habs did with Kaberle. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to give him a deal unless it was for a cheap enough amount that he could be waived/farmed out without any penalty on the cap (so a cap hit no greater than $925k) if he struggles in camp or during the year. He can't be counted on at this point to be a regular NHL d-man.

Agreed,and he's a vast upgrade for what we need over Drewiske. I think he goes to the Isles or another non-hockey market though

I watched him play though...