Would Hal Gill be the ultimate teacher for Tinordi?

Meller93

What is going on here? People suddenly consider the D-corps that melted down in the last month and against Ottawa to be more than adequate?? On what planet is that even thinkable?

I'm sorry, but we MUST get ourselves a reliable, physical, defensive defenceman who can tide us over until Emelin returns - and preferably beyond that, in case Emelin struggles following his injury. It's all well and good to repose our faith in Tinordi, and I agree that he should eventually become "that guy"...but he wasn't against Ottawa and there's no particular reason to think he'll take a giant leap forward in the first half of next season. Pateryn has even less experience. This is reminding me of the 2011 season, when we went in with ZERO proven offensive defencemen after Subban (just a bunch of rookies like Diaz). The result was a cataclysmically bad power play that ended up destroying the season and the entire team. Now we are contemplating an analogous scenario in our own zone.

What we need is a rugged D-man on a two-year deal. I don't know if that's possible, but I do know that going into next season with our current configuration is a bad idea.

We need this player. Only problem is that this free agent crop of D sucks..... seriously, i have Rob Scuderi as my #1 available, and Ryan Whitney as my #3 (after Leopold re-signed today).... its awful. (not saying I want Whitney, hes not the style of D we need) ... just saying league wide, the free agent D group is much, much worse than fwds.

We need this player. Only problem is that this free agent crop of D sucks..... seriously, i have Rob Scuderi as my #1 available, and Ryan Whitney as my #3 (after Leopold re-signed today).... its awful. (not saying I want Whitney, hes not the style of D we need) ... just saying league wide, the free agent D group is much, much worse than fwds.

Well, the player needn't be a UFA. I'd also explore the trade route. In fact, that might be better if you want to avoid getting locked into a longer-term deal, which makes sense in order to leave room for Tinordi and other youth. Quality UFAs not only want exessive dough, they also want too many years.

I never said getting this hypothetical D-man would be easy. Only that it's necessary! ;)

Scuderi ? A 34 yo d-man who will be commanding 4m+ multi yr ? No thanks. He's also not very physical either. He'd be good for a team that can contend for a cup this year. he's probably the last player we need. Him and Gorges for a combined $8.5m on cap would be a disaster

Scuderi ? A 34 yo d-man who will be commanding 4m+ multi yr ? No thanks. He's also not very physical either. He'd be good for a team that can contend for a cup this year. he's probably the last player we need. Him and Gorges for a combined $8.5m on cap would be a disaster

Would Ference be an unreasonable option?

Signing a defensive D man at 34 isn't like signing an offensive forward at that age. The prime years extend longer into the thirties for defensemen.

Scuderi looks like the best bet, but with the slim pickings on the market there will probably be a lot of interest in him.

Andrew Ference makes sense on paper. But I'm used to thinking of him as a POS, what with his flipping off our crowd and being the second worst diver on his team (hard for anyone to beat out Marchand). Didn't he also get beat up by Crosby? I'd like to get someone tougher than that.

Signing a defensive D man at 34 isn't like signing an offensive forward at that age. The prime years extend longer into the thirties for defensemen.

Scuderi looks like the best bet, but with the slim pickings on the market there will probably be a lot of interest in him.

Andrew Ference makes sense on paper. But I'm used to thinking of him as a POS, what with his flipping off our crowd and being the second worst diver on his team (hard for anyone to beat out Marchand). Didn't he also get beat up by Crosby? I'd like to get someone tougher than that.

I might hate Andrew Ference more than Marchand and Lucic. He's dirty, and in the worst way. He also calls out his own players in the media (Paille) and is a rabid environmentalist. Also, he's not a very good hockey player. I agree with CC, at this point there is such a log jam of nos 5/6 dmen and prospects, that a trade would be better sooner than later. This team needs a solid #2 defenseman, Diaz a 2nd and a quality prospect might be able to do it. Someone in the vein of Seidenberg, Marc Methot, Kronwall or Marc Edouard Vlasic.

Diaz, Leblanc and a third for Braydon Coburn makes sense.

I said once before and I'll say again. Toronto is shopping Phaneuf. He has 1 year left @ $6.5m on his contract. We could package Desharnais(DD + Leblanc + 3rd?) to Toronto. They get rid of Phaneuf and a $3M savings for next season. We would still have $6M in free cap space, barring shipping more roster players Toronto's way.

Desharnais would play better with the big bodies in Toronto, a win for Toronto. We would get rid of a size problem, a win for us. Toronto would free up 3M cap space, win for Toronto. We would get a quality defenseman for roughly 3M extra, win for us.

Phaneuf - Subban

Gorges - Markov

Emelin(Tinordi/Boullion) - Diaz

Instant upgrade in our defense.

PP:

Markov - Subban

Phaneuf - Diaz

Instant dangerous PP defensemen, plus it'll help Diaz number go up to be traded next off season.

This also frees up 1 center ice spot so we can get Galchenyuk at center this season

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta

Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Prust/FA(Raymond?Latendresse?) - Eller - FA(LaRose?Jones?)

Moen - White - AHL/FA/Prust

Leaves us with 6M cap space to sign White(1m?), that 3rd line winger(2.5M), and possibly a 3rd/4th(2.5M) line winger. Best part there isn't a long term commitment with Phaneuf past next season. If we signed a FA defenseman, we're on the hook for probably 3+ years.

I said once before and I'll say again. Toronto is shopping Phaneuf. He has 1 year left @ $6.5m on his contract. We could package Desharnais(DD + Leblanc + 3rd?) to Toronto. They get rid of Phaneuf and a $3M savings for next season. We would still have $6M in free cap space, barring shipping more roster players Toronto's way.

Desharnais would play better with the big bodies in Toronto, a win for Toronto. We would get rid of a size problem, a win for us. Toronto would free up 3M cap space, win for Toronto. We would get a quality defenseman for roughly 3M extra, win for us.

Phaneuf - Subban

Gorges - Markov

Emelin(Tinordi/Boullion) - Diaz

Instant upgrade in our defense.

PP:

Markov - Subban

Phaneuf - Diaz

Instant dangerous PP defensemen, plus it'll help Diaz number go up to be traded next off season.

This also frees up 1 center ice spot so we can get Galchenyuk at center this season

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta

Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Prust/FA(Raymond?Latendresse?) - Eller - FA(LaRose?Jones?)

Moen - White - AHL/FA/Prust

Leaves us with 6M cap space to sign White(1m?), that 3rd line winger(2.5M), and possibly a 3rd/4th(2.5M) line winger. Best part there isn't a long term commitment with Phaneuf past next season. If we signed a FA defenseman, we're on the hook for probably 3+ years.

I blacked out for a bit when you said Phaneulknhfvvvljksdnflkgjmnvclskdncsvdsljfvhlbjkwsdehckjbc sadc aljkdhaoheufnd,abqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqkljas4fbhd what happened? where am I?

I might hate Andrew Ference more than Marchand and Lucic. He's dirty, and in the worst way. He also calls out his own players in the media (Paille) and is a rabid environmentalist. Also, he's not a very good hockey player. I agree with CC, at this point there is such a log jam of nos 5/6 dmen and prospects, that a trade would be better sooner than later. This team needs a solid #2 defenseman, Diaz a 2nd and a quality prospect might be able to do it. Someone in the vein of Seidenberg, Marc Methot, Kronwall or Marc Edouard Vlasic.

Ference's environmentalism is one of his few redeeming points in my eyes, I don't see what is so 'rabid' about it. It shows a concern for what's going on in the world, and it isn't a typical stand that you see pro-athletes make.

It would take a lot more than that to land Coburn, they'd probably want one of Tinordi or Beaulieu as part of the package. I wonder if Grossmann could be had for a decent price.

Would Ference be an unreasonable option?

He would be an upgrade,but not by much It would be another lateral move and an overpayment for him at this stage of his career. I see him going to a Pitt or a Detroit,teams that either are contenders or who's window may be closing.

I've seen a lot of unrealistic offers tossed around but this isn't one of them. It has a replacement d-man which they'd need, a decent prospect, and a decent pick. If Philly can't get a 1-1 deal where they get a younger d-man back - I would guess that's their priority - I could see them considering that and I could envision Bergevin making that type of offer. Nicely done.

Ference's environmentalism is one of his few redeeming points in my eyes, I don't see what is so 'rabid' about it. It shows a concern for what's going on in the world, and it isn't a typical stand that you see pro-athletes make.

It would take a lot more than that to land Coburn, they'd probably want one of Tinordi or Beaulieu as part of the package. I wonder if Grossmann could be had for a decent price.

That's my own personal opinion; I don't appreciate or take any stock in the political beliefs of athletes or musicians, whether it's Tim Thomas or Andrew Ference or Bono and Jimmie Vaughan. I think with Beaulieu being a year away from the NHL, Grossman for Diaz straight up clears up the redundancy on both teams.

Wow, anyone else start singing, "One of these things is not like the other" when the topic of environmentalism came up? LOL

I think I can honestly say that hugging a tree would have no bearing on whether or not I hired a hockey player. Maybe that's just me... ;-)

My opinion would be,no Hal Gill,O'Byrne,Komi,Lapierre,Kostit x2,Grabs,or any other rehashed former ex-habs. Those are the slugs that have helped kept us as a mediocre at best organization for too long. In with the new (Galch,Galy,PK etc,) out with the old (Gio,Markov,Boullion,Moen)

Yep, time to turn the page.

I believe the habs defensive coach has done a good job with Subban, Tinordi, even though he was playing his wrong side, I was impressed with Emelin before the injury. Bealleau i think was the coaches pick for most improved.

The habs have some good young D, let them develop, they aren't a contender yet.

Yep, time to turn the page.

I believe the habs defensive coach has done a good job with Subban, Tinordi, even though he was playing his wrong side, I was impressed with Emelin before the injury. Bealleau i think was the coaches pick for most improved.

The habs have some good young D, let them develop, they aren't a contender yet.

I actually would have liked to see NB in the playoffs last year. Diaz was awful,either because of his injury or because he's not made for the playoffs. Either way Tinordi,Bealieau,Emelin(if he comes back 100%) and Subban make up an exciting top 4. Pateryn was unimpressive but a very small sample size,and Ellis I've never seen,same with Nygren. maybe Gauthier wasn't as bas as I thought

Yep, unfortunately the habs have too many LD and not enough RD so Diaz will get some playing time.

Gorges Markov

Tinordi Subban

Drewiski Diaz Bouillon is how I see the the first halk f the season unless MB makes some moves. NB will be the first call up.

I am of the belief Markov will be traded by the deadline for either a first or top defensive prospect.

Yep, unfortunately the habs have too many LD and not enough RD so Diaz will get some playing time.

Gorges Markov

Tinordi Subban

Drewiski Diaz Bouillon is how I see the the first halk f the season unless MB makes some moves. NB will be the first call up.

I am of the belief Markov will be traded by the deadline for either a first or top defensive prospect.

This makes my case nicely. Unless Tinordi suddenly vaults from AHLer to top-4 defenceman, that is a crap line-up.

• Upvote 1

Gorges Markov

Tinordi Subban

A #1 and #4 paired. Okay.

A #6 and #3 paired. Struggling.

A #4 a #6 and a generous #6. Good third line pairing.

We need another strong defender. Or Tinordi and Beaulieu make the leap and we're fine.

Gill is on unconditional waivers today. He'll be bought out at noon tomorrow and will be a UFA.

H e had a good career and this maybe the end. Good luck Hal

Tom Gilbert? I just really like the idea of gaining assets without losing any. A trade could always work, but why not try for hard for buyouts/UFA if any fit?

Hall Gill is on waivers for a reason. We already have Bouillon as a seventh dman that MT insists on using close to 15 minutes. I don't want Gill and have to watch MT play him 12-15 minutes a game more then he should (zero would be the ideal). If he is a good teacher, he should be coaching. His playing days should have been over last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I would pay Hal Gill 500k a year for 5 years.

To coach and hang out in Montreal with the young players.

Not do a lot of on ice stuff except maybe penalty kill lessons and octopus mode teaching for Tinordi.