2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Ottawa vs. Pittsburgh: Pens in 4

Nashville vs. Anaheim: Preds in 5

I'd love to see P.K win the Cup.

I had Anaheim going to the final prior to the playoffs so I'm going to have to stick with them. Rinne has been playing more solid than Gibson though. 

Anaheim in 6

Pittsburgh in 7

Ben Bishop agrees to a six year, $29.5 million contract in Dallas.  That's a nice deal for them (the term is a big long but they used that to lower the AAV) and should help turn things around.  Now the question becomes which goalie gets bought out (if not both)?  They already have $10.4 million tied up with Lehtonen (5.9) and Niemi (4.5).

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Ben Bishop agrees to a six year, $29.5 million contract in Dallas.  That's a nice deal for them (the term is a big long but they used that to lower the AAV) and should help turn things around.  Now the question becomes which goalie gets bought out (if not both)?  They already have $10.4 million tied up with Lehtonen (5.9) and Niemi (4.5).

Lehtonen buyout would be $2.65M next season, $1.6M the season after. Makes the most sense.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Lehtonen buyout would be $2.65M next season, $1.6M the season after. Makes the most sense.

I thought I had read that Niemi was the one on his way out (either through trade or through buyout).

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I thought I had read that Niemi was the one on his way out (either through trade or through buyout).

Niemi has the cheaper deal. If he has trade value, do it and still buy out Lehtonen. Then Dallas can afford a free agent defenceman. They need someone bad.

11 hours ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

9:24 into overtime, James Neal gets a great feed to end the game. Who passed the puck? PK Subban. He's still playing. The only thing Shea Weber is up to is growing his double chin. Pathetic!!!

Pathetic is a great word to describe this post

10 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Three more wins and Subban is closer to the Cup than he ever was as a Hab.

Actually only two more wins gets him closer to the Cup, as Montreal only had 2 wins in the Conference final against the Rangers. If I remember correctly at the time of the trade Subban said something to the effect of " I'm going to a team that is closer to winning the Cup". He was right, Nashville was already a better team than Montreal, despite whatever narrative people want to put on the trade. 

• Upvote 1

That was a perfect faked shot pass that Subban put on a tee for Neal...I hope the Preds win it all.  I have a strong dislike for Anaheim and Pittsburgh, and outright hatred for the Senators.  Nashville is the only team left I can cheer for.

2 hours ago, illWill said:

Pathetic is a great word to describe this post

Actually only two more wins gets him closer to the Cup, as Montreal only had 2 wins in the Conference final against the Rangers. If I remember correctly at the time of the trade Subban said something to the effect of " I'm going to a team that is closer to winning the Cup". He was right, Nashville was already a better team than Montreal, despite whatever narrative people want to put on the trade. 

I want to see PK win the Cup, and for Gary Bettman to announce Bergevin is fired before he passes the Cup to Mike Fisher. This is what I dream about.

I want to see PK win a cup, not cause of anything it means for Bergevin, but because I like PK as a player.  I don't think he is at fault for being traded, and I applaud all the work he does for kids. 

Pretty sure Pittsburgh is going to win the cup but I picked Anaheim prior to the playoffs. Strongly doubt Nashville gets over the hump the first time around but they have Laviolette going for them.

IF Pittsburgh do win the cup, MAF becomes an interesting story. I remember all the softies he's left in as well in the playoffs but one would have to concede he's had a better career than Price. Crosby and Malkin aside, he has to make the saves as well. What I do like about him is his combativeness. I understand that there's this modern technique where keeping your head still and focused on the puck is this big thing, but I want my goalie to have some type of instinctual aspect to his play as well. It's why I've always liked goalies like Hasek, Huet, Felix Potvin and many more...

12 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I think Nashville has more than Laviolette going for them. 

In terms of having already won a cup? That's the context I used it in.

I'm trying to figure out who on their roster has already won a cup. Really, I am. Same with Ottawa. I can think of Laviolette.

33 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

In terms of having already won a cup? That's the context I used it in.

I'm trying to figure out who on their roster has already won a cup. Really, I am. Same with Ottawa. I can think of Laviolette.

Lavi is pretty much it.

For Ottawa there's Marc Crawford. Chris Kelly won in Boston. 

Guest Stogey24

P.k is taking on a big role in Nashville's run. Shutting down top line, out in final minute of the game, and yet still playing with dazzle. 

I actually get into the games watching Nashville. Playing some great hockey 

20 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

P.k is taking on a big role in Nashville's run. Shutting down top line, out in final minute of the game, and yet still playing with dazzle. 

Why would they play him in the last minute?:wacko:  That makes zero sense.  He is too high risk of a player.  He can't be trusted - team Canada's brain trust said so, so it has to be true!:wacko:

Subban and Ekholm shut down the Getzlaf line. That was incredible.

Ducks will be dangerous all series long but I got a lot of confidence in the Predators winning game four. Then it's just about closing it out.

The Ottawa-Pittsburgh series might kill hockey for years to come. Boucher hockey should be illegal. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why would they play him in the last minute?:wacko:  That makes zero sense.  He is too high risk of a player.  He can't be trusted - team Canada's brain trust said so, so it has to be true!:wacko:

:P

7 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Subban and Ekholm shut down the Getzlaf line. That was incredible.

Ducks will be dangerous all series long but I got a lot of confidence in the Predators winning game four. Then it's just about closing it out.

The Ottawa-Pittsburgh series might kill hockey for years to come. Boucher hockey should be illegal. 

Cherry made a good point about Ottawa. The 1-3-1 is working to keep the game tight, but Ottawa should be trying to expose Pitts banged up D-core 

10 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

From the games I've seen, Subban has been putting on an absolute clinic of masterful, cool-headed, controlling play. He has become EXACTLY what his critics always accused him of not being - a complete player who masterminds the play from the back end in all three zones. Secure in the knowledge that his peers (especially Ellis) can also make the Big Play, he is calmly running the show rather than pushing it. As is typical of stupid-assed trades by stupid-assed teams, we dealt away the guy at precisely the moment when he came into his full maturity as a hockey player. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

From the games I've seen, Subban has been putting on an absolute clinic of masterful, cool-headed, controlling play. He has become EXACTLY what his critics always accused him of not being - a complete player who masterminds the play from the back end in all three zones. Secure in the knowledge that his peers (especially Ellis) can also make the Big Play, he is calmly running the show rather than pushing it. As is typical of stupid-assed trades by stupid-assed teams, we dealt away the guy at precisely the moment when he came into his full maturity as a hockey player. 

Well he doesn't have to carry the team in Nashville. He's keeping it simple and making everything look easy. 

Most of us knew how under rated his play was in his own end, but now it's really coming into form 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic