Canadiens trade for Jordie Benn

kaos

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why do we always have the wrong brother??? The wrong Hossa, the wrong bure, and now the wrong Benn!!!   Don't we have enough bottom fillers already???

Steady on, big fella, we had the right Dryden. And the right Subban...:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Thread title should have been "Habs Add Scoring, Trade for Jordie Benn." After all, two goals in 58 games is an upgrade on the third lines. I wonder how much time these tiny deals take Bergevin?

Jim Nill said the deal took a few hours.  First offer from.bergevin today

• dlbalr changed the title to Canadiens trade for Jordie Benn
Just now, JGC21 said:

And both Richard's, Turgeon's and Kostitsyn's...

Both Kostitsyns were the wrong Kostitsyn,

Lots of witticisms in this thread...I sense a certain cynicism creeping into Habsland...;)

Montreal's supply of draft picks this year is quickly starting to dwindle - they're down to their 1st, two 2nd's, a 3rd, and a 5th.  Assuming that one of those 2nd's would be in a move for a forward, it's shaping up to be quite the dull draft (again) for the Habs.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Montreal's supply of draft picks this year is quickly starting to dwindle - they're down to their 1st, two 2nd's, a 3rd, and a 5th.  Assuming that one of those 2nd's would be in a move for a forward, it's shaping up to be quite the dull draft (again) for the Habs.

This draft SUCKS.  So I wouldn't worry about it. 

Happier about 8 picks in 2018

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This draft SUCKS.  So I wouldn't worry about it. 

Happier about 8 picks in 2018

I know it's not a bad draft to not have picks but as a prospect enthusiast, it's a little disappointing to see a bunch of picks gone already.  (They haven't had seven picks in a draft in three years, soon to be four.)

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know it's not a bad draft to not have picks but as a prospect enthusiast, it's a little disappointing to see a bunch of picks gone already.  (They haven't had seven picks in a draft in three years, soon to be four.)

It's the trap of the eternal 'not quite contender,' isn't it? Keep dealing picks in the hope of a boost in the present. If we'd actually made some deep runs, then it makes sense, but we basically have one semi-finals appearance to show, and (from what I gather) a pretty threadbare prospect pool. Blech

Ok Mark down Mark makes another trade. He is really good at these pissant trades. He just can't make one that really changes this team. Ok he did make one but the jury is still out on that one. Well maybe he can find some offence in the 2 days. This is an ok trade, but we need a lot more.

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

Ok Mark down Mark makes another trade. He is really good at these pissant trades. He just can't make one that really changes this team. Ok he did make one but the jury is still out on that one. Well maybe he can find some offence in the 2 days. This is an ok trade, but we need a lot more.

Jury is still out on that one??? Really?? If I was on that jury, I'd have 3 words to say - hang em' high!!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Jury is still out on that one??? Really?? If I was on that jury, I'd have 3 words to say - hang em' high!!

Oh, come on. Weber's Leadership has transforned this team, which looks COMPLETELY different from last season's, and 1000X better than that awful, leaderless, character-less squad from 2014 and 2015. We finally got rid of the locker room cancer and fixed the chemistry, character, and scoring issues in one fell swoop of brilliant GMing. The result is the 1987 Edmonton Oilers. Open your eyes, man.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh, come on. Weber's Leadership has transforned this team, which looks COMPLETELY different from last season's, and 1000X better than that awful, leaderless, character-less squad from 2014 and 2015. We finally got rid of the locker room cancer and fixed the chemistry, character, and scoring issues in one fell swoop of brilliant GMing. The result is the 1987 Edmonton Oilers. Open your eyes, man.

yeah i guess you'r right.  And i guess that his play wasn't that bad, since it probably won't be shown on Coaches Corner.

• Upvote 1

Shattenkirk had the choice of what team to go to, plus he has all but said he wants to be a Ranger next year. 

a 1st, 2nd and top prospect (center) which the habs didn't have is alot for a rental. 

40 minutes ago, Chris said:

Shattenkirk had the choice of what team to go to, plus he has all but said he wants to be a Ranger next year. 

a 1st, 2nd and top prospect (center) which the habs didn't have is alot for a rental. 

Sanford is not a centre.  Nor is he a top prospect. 

Guy is a bottom 6er for upside. 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Really, i read last night he was possibly a 2nd line center prospect

I've seen him play both LW and RW.  I haven't seen him play C

As for second line... he wasn't a PPG player in college.

He had 16 points in 25 games in the AHL.

He has 3 points in 26 NHL games.

The numbers seem to suggest bottom 6. 

It does appear patty was held on a much shorter leash than many others, hopefully he gets a chance to play in Dallas. I do think he is a reliable bottom pairing player who gives out and takes abuse well. Exactly the type of no nonsense, safe play guy most teams want there.

benn seems to have some grit which I love and if he sticks up for price better than the pansies are presently then awesome move. I think Weber was told to avoid unnessecary penalties and is why he has been softer than usual in that regards, normally he plays angrier. 

Yea, i thought the same thing on Weber, reminds me of what they did with Shaw. I don't know if that was a MT philosophy or what happened, they get a gritty hard nosed player and they want him to play like DD. 

I like the Benn trade, he is tough and fights a bit. It would be nice to see when Price gets ran over he doesn't have to stick up for himself for a change. 

The thing is Rinne got run many times in Nashville and Weber didnt' stop it. 

The fact is that deterrence really doesn't work, not in 2017.  You have guys on million dollar contracts, and if you don't go to the net hard, you wont be in the NHL very long.  Whats a punch in the face stop really?