HABS @ SENATORS, OCT 30

illWill

I sure don't see Bergevin trading a player he acquired and signed to an extension that quickly. It's what, Shaw's second year with the team? I guess Prust didn't last terribly long either, though. That said, I can't see Shaw bringing much of a return.

17 minutes ago, huzer said:

I sure don't see Bergevin trading a player he acquired and signed to an extension that quickly. It's what, Shaw's second year with the team? I guess Prust didn't last terribly long either, though. That said, I can't see Shaw bringing much of a return.

You never know. Players like him tend to be idealized by a certain kind of GM, especially given the Cup rings. I don't expect a king's ransom, but some sort of value back should not be out of the question.

5 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Oh man, imagine Galchenyuk for Kreider. Woof. 

I'd suggest the value is a whole lot closer than you might think at first glance.  They're on very similar contracts and their production over the past four seasons is really close.

Galchenyuk: 288 GP, 80-97-177

Kreider: 300 GP, 87-92-179

Galchenyuk is a bit younger and has the slightly better point-per-game average while Kreider is a lot more physical which, considering the fact that Montreal isn't a physical team, could be viewed as a positive.  (He's also on the cheaper of the two deals and while that doesn't matter this year, that would be helpful beyond then.)  When I first saw the Rangers as scouting the Habs, this was the exact framework of a deal I thought of; Shaw for Kreider is lopsided in Montreal's favour so it probably wouldn't be that.

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, can we pppplease get older in another trade.

If that trade happens, I'm done being a Habs fan. 

It's not like Kreider is over the hill - he's 26 so he'd be in his prime for the rest of the contract.  It's a three-year difference between the two.

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, can we pppplease get older in another trade.

If that trade happens, I'm done being a Habs fan. 

Holy...pretty picky.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'd suggest the value is a whole lot closer than you might think at first glance.  They're on very similar contracts and their production over the past four seasons is really close.

Galchenyuk: 288 GP, 80-97-177

Kreider: 300 GP, 87-92-179

Galchenyuk is a bit younger and has the slightly better point-per-game average while Kreider is a lot more physical which, considering the fact that Montreal isn't a physical team, could be viewed as a positive.  (He's also on the cheaper of the two deals and while that doesn't matter this year, that would be helpful beyond then.)  When I first saw the Rangers as scouting the Habs, this was the exact framework of a deal I thought of; Shaw for Kreider is lopsided in Montreal's favour so it probably wouldn't be that.

Galchenyuk has a much bigger upside. Kreider is what he is. Galchenyuk has potential to be much better.  I like Kredier - wanted him instead of the local boy when the draft was in Montreal, but no way i'd trade galchenyuk for him. 

Agreed about Shaw.  No way he brings much of a return.

nice to see Hudon and Lekohonan get a pair each.  they have another game now against a struggling and injured Wild team, so that should also be easy pickings.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Galchenyuk has a much bigger upside. Kreider is what he is. Galchenyuk has potential to be much better.  I like Kredier - wanted him instead of the local boy when the draft was in Montreal, but no way i'd trade galchenyuk for him.

In the eyes of most Montreal fans, Galchenyuk still has more upside.  I suspect GMs around the league aren't quite as bullish.  I honestly think if you polled NHL GMs as to who they'd rather have for the next three years, it would be far from a unanimous vote for one over the other.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

In the eyes of most Montreal fans, Galchenyuk still has more upside.  I suspect GMs around the league aren't quite as bullish.  I honestly think if you polled NHL GMs as to who they'd rather have for the next three years, it would be far from a unanimous vote for one over the other.

Galchenyuk has had  a 30g season but Krieder had 28 last year and is much more physical and is bigger & faster isn't he?

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed about Shaw.  No way he brings much of a return.

You wanted Kreider prior to the 2009 draft.

Tell me how many games of Phillips Andover High School had you watched before the 2009 draft?  Or was it during his time with the EJHL's Valley Jr. Warriors that you had watched him.

He did not play for Boston College or Team USA until after he was drafted. 

Saying that you knew about him pre-2009 draft is B.S.  There is virtually no chance that you had ever seen a single game of his, even on tv. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

You wanted Kreider prior to the 2009 draft.

Tell me how many games of Phillips Andover High School had you watched before the 2009 draft?  Or was it during his time with the EJHL's Valley Jr. Warriors that you had watched him.

He did not play for Boston College or Team USA until after he was drafted. 

Saying that you knew about him pre-2009 draft is B.S.  There is virtually no chance that you had ever seen a single game of his, even on tv. 

Why dont you get over yourself in presumptive my to know what I thought prior to the draft.  No I didn’t see Kreider play - just as I didn’t see Leblanc play.  I did read numerous draft rankings and reports and Kreider was listed as a speedy power forward and some of  the rankings back than even listed him as a player that would fill a need Montreal had.  I think bob McKenzie or button were one of those that had Montreal picking Kreider. Can’t remember for sure who it was now. On the other hand, most rankings listed  Leblanc as a centre with good intelligence and vision, but needing to fill out and add improve on his speed.  I have always been in favour of drafting power forwards with speed - which is why I hated the Mcarron pick so much (and wrote as much here at the time) and the numerous picks like the turner stevenson picks.  So why don’t you get over yourself and keep your BS comments to yourself:

If I recall correctly, Kreider went a spot or two after Leblanc.  

• Upvote 2

If the rumours that Galchenyuk's repeated substance abuse are true, I am 50/50 on trading him for Kreider 1:1. If Chucky's issues are something that may not end his career prematurely, I would not trade him but keep working with him.

I like Kreider as a replacement to Shaw,, but I don't see NYR bitting on that  

"Hey guys, remember that guy that ran our goalie and injured him in the Eastern finals a few years ago? Well now he is on our team"

I can't see that going over well in the dressing room 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
12 minutes ago, illWill said:

"Hey guys, remember that guy that ran our goalie and injured him in the Eastern finals a few years ago? Well now he is on our team"

Exactly. Might as well grab chara while we're at it.

1 hour ago, illWill said:

No issue, many still think he was just going hard to net and players wouldn't care, other than hoping he is as aggressive for them as well.

49 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Exactly. Might as well grab chara while we're at it.

I would guess Chara would also fit in fine and be no lingering problem, am sure personally Pacioretty hasn't forgot or even forgiven, but doesnt mean he cant work with him.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

No issue, many still think he was just going hard to net and players wouldn't care, other than hoping he is as aggressive for them as well.

I would guess Chara would also fit in fine and be no lingering problem, am sure personally Pacioretty hasn't forgot or even forgiven, but doesnt mean he cant work with him.

I agree with DON...players will get over it fast. In fact many will be relieved that that jerk can't threaten Price's career any more.

I'm resigned to the reality that Galy is gone and that the return will not reflect the potential that many of us see in him. For myself, I'm not sure he has the hockey smarts to become more than a one-dimensional player peaking at maybe 70 points, which is nothing to sneeze at, but not necessarily a franchise cornerstone. Kreider would be an acceptable return, especially given Galy's deflated value due to CJ's handling, and given how much our FW unit would benefit from a power forward.

Perhaps a better question is positional. This team still sucks at C. If we're going to move the 3rd overall pick who was supposed to fix that problem, shouldn't we be thinking more in terms of a Duchesne or Nuge? Just asking.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Kreider is a fair weather player. No where to be found when the playoffs start. 

If Galchenyuk isn't part of a package for #1 centre, Bergevin better not even sniff at a trade 

I believe we need to remain patient with Chucky! Many seem to forget he's only 23 years old. If he really had/has substance abuse problems, I hope he's getting the help that he might need, and will be able to get over his addiction.

I also believe that if we were to trade Chucky in the next few months, we would not get anything close to what he could be worth. Better to be patient and slowly get his confidence back to what it was 18 months ago rather than trade him for an older player with a lower ceiling (Kreider).

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Kreider is a fair weather player. No where to be found when the playoffs start. 

If Galchenyuk isn't part of a package for #1 centre, Bergevin better not even sniff at a trade 

100% agree. My hope is MB is fired before he can trade galchenyuk - but I doubt that’s going to happen. I think when he finally traded galchenyuk, th return on that trade is what will ultimately get him fired.

4 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I believe we need to remain patient with Chucky! Many seem to forget he's only 23 years old. If he really had/has substance abuse problems, I hope he's getting the help that he might need, and will be able to get over his addiction.

I also believe that if we were to trade Chucky in the next few months, we would not get anything close to what he could be worth. Better to be patient and slowly get his confidence back to what it was 18 months ago than trade him for an older player with a lower ceiling (Kreider).

Here’s hoping that’s the course of action we follow.  I really think #27 can be a 75+ point player

Guest Stogey24
16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Here’s hoping that’s the course of action we follow.  I really think #27 can be a 75+ point player

I honestly believe he can be 70pts player. 

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why dont you get over yourself in presumptive my to know what I thought prior to the draft.  No I didn’t see Kreider play - just as I didn’t see Leblanc play.  I did read numerous draft rankings and reports and Kreider was listed as a speedy power forward and some of  the rankings back than even listed him as a player that would fill a need Montreal had.  I think bob McKenzie or button were one of those that had Montreal picking Kreider. Can’t remember for sure who it was now. On the other hand, most rankings listed  Leblanc as a centre with good intelligence and vision, but needing to fill out and add improve on his speed.  I have always been in favour of drafting power forwards with speed - which is why I hated the Mcarron pick so much (and wrote as much here at the time) and the numerous picks like the turner stevenson picks.  So why don’t you get over yourself and keep your BS comments to yourself:

If I recall correctly, Kreider went a spot or two after Leblanc.  

So you base your opinions of who would be a good pick not by your own eyes but what you are told second hand.

Sorry if im not going to give you a pat on the back and a good job for regurgitating what others said.  Look at me im so smart i can repeat mckenzie and button and i wanted kreider in 2009.  Sorry not giving you an ego boost cause you were "right" about a prospect you never saw.