Annual Habs Top Shelf Prospect Report

Commandant

You've been insulting him since he got here...

But good to know that we don't go too far until we insult EVERYONE here.

If you think a member here brings absolutely nothing of value to the discussion, please put them on your ignore list instead of trying to browbeat them off the site.

Take a couple stabs at rehabilitation but usually ignore is the best option.

He's been good for the dog days. And Ben has been too distracted to destroy my irrational trade proposals more feverishly. muhaha

I may point out the irrationality of a post, but i've always been fair to you as a person/poster. I think I've treated everyone here with respect, except for the guy who made racist posts, was confronted about them, and then instead of apologizing and stopping, doubled down with more racist posts.

If I lashed out at him for that, sorry I'm not sorry about it.

O.K., so it is "fact" that Sherbak is going to be a better player for the Habs than Lernout. "Fact" that Lehkonen will be better for the team than Reway. "Fact" that Subban is a better player than Weber and the gap will grow larger. Facts are not debatable as you say, so I suppose there's no reason to debate. I was operating under the impression that all the future predictions offered up here were no more than opinions. Little did I know.

you seem to be having a hard time with this....

you can have an opinion on players,,, but back it up with facts.

When you say things for your proofs like Lernout has similar accomplishments to Weber at the same age, or that Reway is tougher than Lehkonen, or Lehkonen will stay in the SHL cause he can earn basically the same money as being a mid-tier NHLer, and other such proofs, you are attempting to use facts to prove your opinions. Unfortunately those facts are horribly and laughably inaccurate.

I used to pick apart your trades until I realized they were the only ones there.

I own that sh!t. But, if the river is made of whiskey...

I may point out the irrationality of a post, but i've always been fair to you as a person/poster. I think I've treated everyone here with respect, except for the guy who made racist posts, was confronted about them, and then instead of apologizing and stopping, doubled down with more racist posts.

If I lashed out at him for that, sorry I'm not sorry about it.

I have never had an issue with any particular person here. Fat Lips was the line in the sand for me.

You guys are as dumb as dirt and less interesting.

Mark Recchi used to have a Canadiens tattoo that he had redone into a bear. He got ink poisoning and apparently actually retired as result. He assessed himself. And his tattoo looks like a poop. His wife and mine use the same online medium.

But seriously. I really like Lehkonen's backhand. He has a sick release. I like his poise and confidence. He just might be the missing ingredient in our top 6 conundrum.

Yes, nicer country to live in = liveable...

And Canada is above. As per that link.

But great alter the goalposts and change liveability to happiness... still doesn't have any relevance to the discussion since he'd be living in Sweden, not finland.

Lastly the money isn't equal.

NHL midtier money is about 5-10x what he would make in the SHL.

Haha. I got no skin in this game. I know nothing about lehkonnen. He said Finland is a nicer place to live. You said false and posted a link from cnn. I found another cnn link saying it was. That's it. I'm just enjoying the argument from afar and tossing in the odd piece of meat to keep the dogfight going. Haha

I don't chime in much but this argument has become extremely tiring.

From the way you both write it's obvious to me you both bring something of essence to this forum. Sometimes we like to read about analytics and sometimes we enjoy reading about opinions that are based more on each human's ability to use their eyes and their judgement to form a thought about an issue.

In my opinion neither is wrong in this case.

So grow up and start getting along. The world isn't all black and white. Thankfully it is full of grey as well.

• Upvote 1

From the way you both write it's obvious to me you both bring something of essence to this forum. Sometimes we like to read about analytics and sometimes we enjoy reading about opinions that are based more on each human's ability to use their eyes and their judgement to form a thought about an issue.

So grow up and start getting along. The world isn't all black and white. Thankfully it is full of grey as well.

Opinions based in fact are great.

Opinions based on fairytales that Reway is tougher than Lehkonen, or that Lernout's accomplishments are similar to Weber have value? Really?

I have always respected the majority of people's opinions here, but this guy is just flat out wrong. His comments make no sense and make me question if he's ever watched any of these players actually play the game.

You have to be the most extreme fanboy to think that Lernout has the same type of potential today as Shea Weber. Seriously, the lunacy of those statements is just off the charts.

And this idea that opinions can never be challenged and can never be misinformed or flat out wrong... its just a bunch of P.C. bullcrap. Sometimes an opinion is just based on false facts and can be idiotic. It happens.

Again, I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry for calling out bullshit.

Guest Stogey24

Why? The guy is getting called out. Is that not aloud?

You should go back and read where he refereed to Subban calling him 'fat lips' amongst other trashy racist jargon. That was his first impression here. Character suicide imo.

You should go back and read where he refereed to Subban calling him 'fat lips' amongst other trashy racist jargon. That was his first impression here. Character suicide imo.

"fat lips"

also said that he was on team canada at the olympics cause they needed a "token" for P.R. reasons and diversity.

there was more....

"fat lips"

also said that he was on team canada at the olympics cause they needed a "token" for P.R. reasons and diversity.

there was more....

I'm on your side of the argument Commandant, but it's difficult to argue logically with someone who doesn't value logic. I think having a laugh with it at this point would reduce your risk of hypertension. Don't feed the (unwitting) troll as they say. Argue away, just realize you'll probably get no where, so have some fun with it maybe. It's a prime opportunity for some healthy sarcasm if you ask me.

Not telling you what to do, just trying to be helpful!

Don't feed the (unwitting) troll as they say.

Not calling out the troll placates and makes troll behaviour acceptable.

The people I have on ignore are a waste of time to discuss anything with but at least they are not tip toeing racists talking about how the player they don't like is a big lipped token.

I'm on your side of the argument Commandant, but it's difficult to argue logically with someone who doesn't value logic. I think having a laugh with it at this point would reduce your risk of hypertension. Don't feed the (unwitting) troll as they say. Argue away, just realize you'll probably get no where, so have some fun with it maybe. It's a prime opportunity for some healthy sarcasm if you ask me.

Not telling you what to do, just trying to be helpful!

Who says I'm not laughing when i finish posting.

I laughed really hard at the Zarley Zalapski reference the other day.

I actually haven't seen Lehkonen play yet, so I hope to see it this year. I've seen Reway play and at the junior level, he was a phenomenal playmaker. Its nice to know there are some offensively gifted players in the system again. I realize that These qualities rarely show themselves in the NHL, but the more offensive talent in the system, the better the odds that one of them will put it together at the NHL level.

He's talented, no argument there.

I took called out the comment that he's a tough player, cause thats not his game at all.... skilled? yes. He's got skill. But don't expect him throwing hits all over the ice, or plowing into goalies, or dropping gloves, or whatever. Thats not his game.

He's talented, no argument there.

I took called out the comment that he's a tough player, cause thats not his game at all.... skilled? yes. He's got skill. But don't expect him throwing hits all over the ice, or plowing into goalies, or dropping gloves, or whatever. Thats not his game.

I would say that Reway can play with a physical edge but his willingness to do so is inconsistent. Lehkonen is routinely feisty and I think will win a lot of fans over quickly if he plays well in the preseason.

No doubt. I agree with everything you've said in that silly argument. It just wasnt an argument. No way is Reway a tough player. And no way is Lernout a comparable prospect to Weber as a prospect. I am glad that both of them are signed and on this side of the pond for now. It raises the talent pool a lot. Considering how many puck carriers have been lost recently, I would like to see both get a real chance.

I actually haven't seen Lehkonen play yet, so I hope to see it this year. I've seen Reway play and at the junior level, he was a phenomenal playmaker. Its nice to know there are some offensively gifted players in the system again. I realize that These qualities rarely show themselves in the NHL, but the more offensive talent in the system, the better the odds that one of them will put it together at the NHL level.

I haven't really seen Lehkonen play either but I am excited to see him in training camp. It would be a huge plus if he could break through and take that second LW spot. I only seen Reway play in the Junior tournament last year and I was very impressed with what I seen. I don't really recall so much of a team's offense going through one player in that tournament before. It was almost as if they wouldn't shoot or pass without it going to him first

Some of you can't seem ot comprehend that saying a prospect is "similar" to a proven player doesn't mean that they are identical at any given time, NOR that the younger player will have an identical career. It's done all the time at the draft. TT compared Will Bitten to Brenden Gallagher as a prospect. Does that mean Bitten has had a junior career identical to Gallagher so far or that his pro career will be the same? NO. I put Weber in my original comment because I could see how much Lernout could benefit by playing with him if Brett is healthy for camp. They play similar style of game and come from a similar background. Lernout was one of the top defensive zone players in AHL last season as a 19/20 year old. If he can pick up a few of Weber's offensive tricks the Habs have a force on the blueline.

You can backtrack all you want but here is your exact quote.

"Lernout's career to this point is not that dissimilar to Weber"

That statement is 100% false.

You can backtrack and play semantics all you want. It doesn't change the fact that you made an asinine statement of fact, not opinion... that was 100% demonstrably false.

I put Weber in my original comment because I could see how much Lernout could benefit by playing with him if Brett is healthy for camp. They play similar style of game and come from a similar background. Lernout was one of the top defensive zone players in AHL last season as a 19/20 year old. If he can pick up a few of Weber's offensive tricks the Habs have a force on the blueline.

They won't play together in camp. For starters, they play the same side so they wouldn't be used on the same pairing. Also, Lernout will likely be cut and in AHL training camp by the time Weber gets back from the World Cup.

I also wouldn't say that Lernout wasn't one of the top defensive zone players in the AHL last year. That would be a considerable overstatement. He was adequate in his own end last year. For a player in his underage/draft + 2 year, that's more than fine too; don't mistake that comment for a criticism as it's not one.