The Next Captain

Commandant

I don't know brothers, DD isn't really a bad choice is he? I suppose it is catastrophic to the DD haters, but seriously, I'd take him as C over Plek.....

I don't know brothers, DD isn't really a bad choice is he? I suppose it is catastrophic to the DD haters, but seriously, I'd take him as C over Plek.....

I don't think he's a crazy choice. I considered including him in the favourites category in my article the other day about the captaincy options. He's signed for a few years, has been there already for a few years, speaks French (some put more importance that on than others), and seems to have a similar demeanour to Gionta (more the quiet, lead by example type than someone who's going to be overly vocal in the room).

I don't think he'll get the job but there are a lot of crazier options out there.

Therrien says DD is a candidate because he wants to boost the kid's confidence so DD comes to actually play the first quarter of the season, rather than slack off like last year. If DD is named captain.... that's ALL political and completely ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

He is bilingual.

He does have 7 years with organization and averages 52point/year (exact same rate as he did in AHL).

He is from Quebec.

And for the horrendous start he had, he really did well in 2nd half.

He is from Quebec, bilingual and is the #1 centre.

A longshot for sure, wouldn't bother me one bit if he was named C and don't think would be ridiculous.

You could name any one of 5 or 6 players C and really wouldn't make any difference team performance; is just a letter and Markov will still 'council' Subban/Emelin with or without a C.

But, guess am pulling for Plekanec.

He is bilingual.

He does have 7 years with organization and averages 52point/year (exact same rate as he did in AHL).

He is from Quebec.

And for the horrendous start he had, he really did well in 2nd half.

He is from Quebec, bilingual and is the #1 centre.

A longshot for sure, wouldn't bother me one bit if he was named C and don't think would be ridiculous.

You could name any one of 5 or 6 players C and really wouldn't make any difference team performance; is just a letter and Markov will still 'council' Subban/Emelin with or without a C.

But, guess am pulling for Plekanec.

Agree all around (although I don't think "#1 C" is a helpful term given the way our team is constructed, and leads to a lot of unnecessary loathing of DD).

There really is no happy solution here. Even if we go with three "As" and no "C," one of Markov, Pleks, Patches or Subban would have to be left out. It'll be really interesting to see what management decides.

I would bet will name someone a C in couple weeks.

(I kind of had to stumble calling him #1 Centre, but if need a goal his line is out there, so by default kinda is.)

I know what you mean. He is obviously the pivot on our go-to scoring line. But Plekanec gets more minutes, and that illustrates the reality that this is a team built to roll three lines more-or-less evenly, with different lines used depending on the situation. The fact that DD is not a legitimate #1 C, and yet appears to be used in this way to those who are inattentive to the reality of our team design, is a big part of the reason so many fans froth at the mouth at the mention of him. If we stopped seeing DD as a bad #1 C and started thinking of him as merely one of three semi-equal C on the squad, we probably would like him better.

In Boston, Patrice Bergeron calls David Krejci the number one center. Bergeron plays a minute less ES, a minute more SH and 0:30 less PP. He has a better faceoff percentage by 8% than Krejci. There is only a 7 point difference between the two while Krejci gets the best wingers. It's definitely a 1A-2A situation, not a 1A-1B situation.

I think it's similar in Montreal. I think our centers are not as good but it's basically the same situation. The difference is Boston had Tyler Seguin to one day replace Krejci, and instead they dealt him away and signed Krejci long term. We have Galchenyuk, and I doubt we're going to move Galchenyuk to sign Desharnais long term. By the way, for anyone wondering, Seguin still hasn't become a permanent center in Dallas. He's fourth on total faceoffs. He's still warming up to the position at 23. That's why I say patience with Galchenyuk.

• 7 years later...
2 minutes ago, DON said:

I think it’s a valid question whether not naming a “C” contributed to making things worse this season. One had the feeling, especially early on, of a team disoriented by the departure of its two resident Alpha dogs (Price and Weber).

On the other hand, the choice probably would have been Gallagher. Given the way things are going, Gally might - and certainly should - be on the block at the deadline. Ditto Petry, another possibility. So not naming a C has saved us the ignominity of trading yet another captain after a team melt-down, at least.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think it’s a valid question whether not naming a “C” contributed to making things worse this season. One had the feeling, especially early on, of a team disoriented by the departure of its two resident Alpha dogs (Price and Weber).

On the other hand, the choice probably would have been Gallagher. Given the way things are going, Gally might - and certainly should - be on the block at the deadline. Ditto Petry, another possibility. So not naming a C has saved us the ignominity of trading yet another captain after a team melt-down, at least.

I agree ... I think the habs were sincere in saying since Weber has not retired he remains the team's captain ... especially so soon after the was the spiritual leader of a wondrous playoff run ... totally coincidentally (IMO) it leaves the habs free to look longer term in terms of naming a captain once the dust settles on this season and they decide whether to rebuild, re-tool or just tinker and stay the course

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t think we need a captain YET.

we suck becuase we have a D made up of mainly bottom pairing dmen, no second line centre and three of what should be our best players are either not playing (price), or useless (Petry and Gallagher). I’m not counting Weber, because while his Captain, it was already made pretty clear that he is done. The only issue I have is MB’s comment that we have a Captain. I think they need to be clear, there is no captain foe the Habs period and Weber is in a management role (like Pronger was).

I don’t see Gallagher or Petry as captains. I think you give it a year and if Suzuki has a great year, AND is a vocal guy with leadership, you make him captain.  Otherwise, you wait, and see if part of your future core is ready for the role - kind of like Ottawa did (I can’t believe I’m using the Sens as an example of how to do things!!!!) . I don’t ant a Maxpac captain situation.

We aren’t winning anything anyways, and a captain is not going to make a difference this YEAR.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... if not, wait a year and check who is left 

Agreed ... more important to find the right captain than just pick one to have one