Game Thread | Montreal vs. Predators | 02/22/07

Spider-Man NL

His brother did the same thing too :P But the goalies don't seem to understand the Koivus go right and backhands the puck in the top corner...

You beat me to it, that was a Mikko move... Saks prefers the forehand finish...

Nevertheless, our Captain sealed the deal. I like our ability to adapt to any situation these days...

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AHHHHHHHHHH MANNNNNNNN

Good game to go to. Pred fans are dorks. Completely sold into the disney aspect of it.

BORING.!!!!!!!!!

Habs? Man I really can't say that we have a club oozing with talent. On the same note Forsberg looked like shit. Preds lost a game that they should have not lost. Don't get me wrong I'm happy and was a handfull at the game but not for one second did I feel like the Habs had it in the bag.

If the Preds are going to win the cup this year.........Cool, but they looked like shit too, so don't use this as a basis to where we stand against other teams in the league. Everyone really looked kind of shitty.

Good win....we needed it. Get Better FASTER!!!!!!

I'm drunk ....had a great time, but was not blown away...........except Koivu. That dude is small but plays big. Never take that away from him and hope he ends his career in Montreal.

I really don't think that the Predators are the team to beat this year. Ottawa would chew them up pretty fast, as would Buffalo. Ducks have a much better chance in the west ... and Sharks too. But time will tell.

I really don't think that the Predators are the team to beat this year. Ottawa would chew them up pretty fast, as would Buffalo. Ducks have a much better chance in the west ... and Sharks too. But time will tell.

Dont count out Detroit. If Dom stays healthy Detroit could win.

Same with NJ.

1. Dumont

2. Samsonov

3. Sutter

Official 3 stars.

What a game I watched with my gf and dad and all three of us were on the edge of our seats tonight I wish I had played proline though wow.

I loved Koivu using his brothers move as Saku usually gos forhand or backhand deke low not high.

Plekanec was HUEG tonight set up Samsonov and extended the shootout.

Perezhogin proved he can play top line minutes where I feel as though the season is wearing on Gui.

It was also incredible to see all the injured/scratched players so excited after the win.

1. Dumont

2. Samsonov

3. Sutter

Official 3 stars.

What a game I watched with my gf and dad and all three of us were on the edge of our seats tonight I wish I had played proline though wow.

I loved Koivu using his brothers move as Saku usually gos forhand or backhand deke low not high.

Plekanec was HUEG tonight set up Samsonov and extended the shootout.

Perezhogin proved he can play top line minutes where I feel as though the season is wearing on Gui.

It was also incredible to see all the injured/scratched players so excited after the win.

Perez did look good tonight that's for sure......I do think patience will be a virtue for us habs fans....thank gainey for that. There are good things coming from this slump that will pay us dearly in the next few years. Gainey is letting the team know he beleives in them and that is priceless. Alot of young kids will earn respect for themselves and him.

I was wondering if the goalies ever pay attention to Koivu? Each time I watch Koivu in shoot outs, I feel like i'm watching an old tape of Koivu, he always does the same deke infront of the net, and it actually works...

It is a very difficult move to stop if executed properly. First he does the quick fake to the forehand (left side), forceing the goalie to move a bit in that direction anticipate the forehand shot. The goalie at this point also has to go down because if he doesnt, he gives up the 5 hole and the forehand deke, since the player is getting pretty close. Now the shooter quickly reverses and roofs it blocker side, which has slower reaction time than glove side, less coverage, and is in a poorer position since the goalie also has to keep it low since its holding the stick to protect the 5 hole.

The bottom line though, is its all about execution. You have to be very sure of your backhand, which is a trickier shot. How many times have we pulled our hair out watching guys of a more mediocre skill level like Ryder flub their backhand, failing to get off the fast roof and instead putting it into the pads. Meanwhile softer handed players like Koivu and Kovalev make it look easy.

Im surprised Plekanic's goal wasnt called off. He really bowled into the goalie and prevented him from getting the puck before it went in. I think if Plekanic didnt knock Vokum's stick out of his hand, he would've had a good chance to stop the puck's slow-mo entry into the net. I'll take the point, but I dont think that was kosher.

I guess the refs didnt notice it when it happened, and if it was noticed on the replay, and since it was a judgement call and not a technical one, if the goal judges saw it they couldnt overrule it (they just look at more technical criteria like double touch, high stick, kicking, etc.). Surprised the RDS guys didnt mention it tho.

AHHHHHHHHHH MANNNNNNNN

Good game to go to. Pred fans are dorks. Completely sold into the disney aspect of it.

BORING.!!!!!!!!!

Habs? Man I really can't say that we have a club oozing with talent. On the same note Forsberg looked like shit. Preds lost a game that they should have not lost. Don't get me wrong I'm happy and was a handfull at the game but not for one second did I feel like the Habs had it in the bag.

If the Preds are going to win the cup this year.........Cool, but they looked like shit too, so don't use this as a basis to where we stand against other teams in the league. Everyone really looked kind of shitty.

Good win....we needed it. Get Better FASTER!!!!!!

I'm drunk ....had a great time, but was not blown away...........except Koivu. That dude is small but plays big. Never take that away from him and hope he ends his career in Montreal.

Did you have a RDS sign? I saw a few Habs fans, and was wondering if I'd see you there.

Brilliant result! Totally unexpected! Youth injecting something into the old dogs - maybe the knowledge that no-one's position is safe?

Go get the Isles and Laffs and then we're really talking.

What a shocker. They figured out that the teams change end every period yet?

Bet they sell a lot of those nice shiny shirts. :lol:

Actually, the next 6 games are big (they play NYR 3rd then Buf twice). Hopefully the Habs can keep the streak going. :D

They played a good game tonight and against 1 of the top Western teams and on the road. It was a great test of their mettle, and they passed. They can definitley build off this win, was a big confidence boost for sure. Was great to see Sammy score, and Koivu get the shootout winner.

Murray's goal was mint. You could see him bouncing around that entire shift up until he put it in the net. After seeing Murray play that shift I'd like to see him on a line with Sammy and Lapiere. Sammy would dance around while Murray out front of the net and Lapiere in the corners to create havock and confusion long enough for the opposition to get out of position enough for the Habs to strike. :lol:

I still would love to see Lapiere log more minutes. It'd be interesting to see the stats, but I wouldnt be surprised 1 bit if Lapiere is averaging a goal/game. Increasing his ice time in "theory" should increase it anyways.

:hlogo:

Nice come from behind win. Way to go boys. Too bad about the goals off the skates of Dandenault and Souray. Montreal may not need to have come from behind.

This should be a major confidence booster.

Be fun to watch all the bandwagon jumpers scrambling to get back on the habs-train....lol

Murray's goal was mint. You could see him bouncing around that entire shift up until he put it in the net. After seeing Murray play that shift I'd like to see him on a line with Sammy and Lapiere. Sammy would dance around while Murray out front of the net and Lapiere in the corners to create havock and confusion long enough for the opposition to get out of position enough for the Habs to strike. :lol:

I was very proud of Murray this game, hope he continues to play like that.

I'm also going to need explanations to Carbonneau's shoot out player he picked, first Kostitsyn, he could of scored, but the thing is why did he pick a player that just missed a 1 week of playing because of his new born baby and travling all day to get to Nashville. Carbo could of trust an other player to take the shootout, a player he has in the team that is capable of doing it, Koivu wasn't even on his first three picks. I don't remember Perezhogin ever being good during a shootout...

I'm also going to need explanations to Carbonneau's shoot out player he picked, first Kostitsyn, he could of scored, but the thing is why did he pick a player that just missed a 1 week of playing because of his new born baby and travling all day to get to Nashville. Carbo could of trust an other player to take the shootout, a player he has in the team that is capable of doing it, Koivu wasn't even on his first three picks. I don't remember Perezhogin ever being good during a shootout...

Well I am pretty sure Kostitsyn is lights out in the shootout in the AHL and he worked hard all night. Also lots of goalies have books on shooters and know thier moves I doubt Vokun knows much about Andrei. Perezhogin has made some great moves when he has been called upopn before but never has been able to finish in the shootout. Oh well they won and thats all that I really care about.

I think Carbo is using and putting the kids in tough situations to see who is and who is not a player. It's clear that the many vets are on there last legs for this team. Carbo needs to find out what he has for the future.

As for the game, as usual several good and the defensive zone coverage again has alot to be desired. They left Halak out to dry 5 times, i don't know that he had a chance on any goals.

The good was generally all the lines contributed in the offensive zone.

They came back time and time again. Samsonov and Perez looked great. Solid forechecking most of the night.

The bad: Penalties again, and the Pk was poor at best. The D zone was awfull, does anyone but Komi know how to hit or win a battle.

The youngsters are looking very good. I thought Kosty looked alot better this call up, 1 bad turnover, otherwise pretty solid.

I think it's funny that some posters complain about Murray, Downey and other grinders taking the younger players spots, first of all, the Habs are soft, thay actually need more physical and grinders in the lineup. The players holding back the youth is players like Kovalev, Samsonov.

Kosty, Perez and Lats are all cinsidered to be top 6 forwards, why would people want them on the 4th line. Time will tell if those 3 will become top 6 players.

Why did Koivu wasn't in the 3 first shooters????? with Kovy and Higgins out... it seems like an evidence.