Hatching Eggs!

alexstream

Latendresse is getting out of his cocoon ... was consistently in the crease, consistently shooting... (aside from his usual awesome game in the corners and along the band)

Kostsytsyn.. Finally got the spotlight (was GIVEN a spot instead of having a just a "try") and USED it. He's so smooth... the puck just seemed to magically move onto the tape of Higgins and Plek. Moreover, with more icetime I could look at him more thoroughly and man the guy is hitting like a bull and backchecking like the best 3rd liners!!

I don't miss Perez or Kovalev at all (well yes I miss them, but put them on the 3rd or 4th line, Kost and Lats are WAY WAY WAY more usefull on a 1st - 2nd line)

Montreal just need all 4 lines with an offensive presence that doesn't let up defensively. I say stick to the Begin - Lapierre - Kovy line.

Lats - Koivu - Ryder

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson

Begin - Lapierre - Kovalev

I don't mean to turn this into a "suggest your lines" thread, just pointing out that this would provide the team with four lines capable of playing both ends of the ice. Streit can sub in for Perezhogin at the fwd position as well.

speaking of eggs... in the last few months, carbo has been making scrambled eggs, with all his lineup changes. but tonight against the islanders he had a real winning combination. lets keep the flow of things and hold this combination for awhile, at least for the next two games.

i'm worried that dunham may have been the reason we won tonight. "dipe" has been so solid for the isles lately, I'm concerned that we may have just got lucky...

nevertheless a win is a win and scrambles eggs are a nice way to enjoy eggs or in this case a habs win!

GO HABS GO!

by the way I do like Macaskill's line up.. balanced offense and defense is of utmost priority.

I like those lines a lot well as long as Kovalev gets the full 2 minutes on the PP. That guy needs ice and does help the power play a lot. Koivu was trying to control the puck more up high and on the side boards which is what Kovy usually does.

The kids are great though I hope to see Perezhogin get a legitmate shot soon as well.

by the way I do like Macaskill's line up.. balanced offense and defense is of utmost priority.

me too. I would love to see perezhogin back with johnson and boink.

also with kovalev on the"4th" line, we could double-shift him on his on-games. he showed alot of energy with bégin and lapierre but I don't think it's the proper combination long term.

whatever carbonneau does, we need stability !!

Latendresse is getting out of his cocoon ... was consistently in the crease, consistently shooting... (aside from his usual awesome game in the corners and along the band)

Kostsytsyn.. Finally got the spotlight (was GIVEN a spot instead of having a just a "try") and USED it. He's so smooth... the puck just seemed to magically move onto the tape of Higgins and Plek. Moreover, with more icetime I could look at him more thoroughly and man the guy is hitting like a bull and backchecking like the best 3rd liners!!

My thoughts exactly. This was a great win because it was our young guys who manufactured the goals. This game was the best thing to happen in Montreal all year.

Montreal just need all 4 lines with an offensive presence that doesn't let up defensively. I say stick to the Begin - Lapierre - Kovy line.

Lats - Koivu - Ryder

I don't mean to turn this into a "suggest your lines" thread, just pointing out that this would provide the team with four lines capable of playing both ends of the ice. Streit can sub in for Perezhogin at the fwd position as well.

Switch Johnson and Kovalev and we have a Cup winner.

Lats - Koivu - Ryder

yup, exactly what i suggested in the game thread... history has shown (only one time for each of the 2nd and the 4th, but still) that all these combos work... so why mess around?

speaking of eggs... in the last few months, carbo has been making scrambled eggs, with all his lineup changes. but tonight against the islanders he had a real winning combination. lets keep the flow of things and hold this combination for awhile, at least for the next two games.

i'm worried that dunham may have been the reason we won tonight. "dipe" has been so solid for the isles lately, I'm concerned that we may have just got lucky...

nevertheless a win is a win and scrambles eggs are a nice way to enjoy eggs or in this case a habs win!

GO HABS GO!

you saw the game? not sure Dips could have done any better... Dunham saved their butts in the 1st and 2nd.

Switch Johnson and Kovalev and we have a Cup winner.

never thought of that... so that the Bonk line becomes more offense oriented and the 4th really becomes a shutout in your face line... nice.

I like those lines a lot well as long as Kovalev gets the full 2 minutes on the PP. That guy needs ice and does help the power play a lot. Koivu was trying to control the puck more up high and on the side boards which is what Kovy usually does.

The kids are great though I hope to see Perezhogin get a legitmate shot soon as well.

15 mins a game for over 60 games is called a "shot" in my books.

he's had the same shot as Lats ... last year he had the same shot as pleks and higgs...

and kost is just having his share of the shot...

im getting impatient with perez... i want my shot back :D

15 mins a game for over 60 games is called a "shot" in my books.

he's had the same shot as Lats ... last year he had the same shot as pleks and higgs...

and kost is just having his share of the shot...

im getting impatient with perez... i want my shot back :D

Perezhogin has played 15 minutes or more about 5 or 6 times this year I would guess.

Also when he did play those minutes he was a + player and playing with defensive players Bonk and Johnson.

Last year in his first 7 games Perezhogin played around 14:30 + per game with offensive players (Koivu and Kovalev) In those 7 games he had 4 goals and 4 assists.

Sorry I have to disagree and so do the numbers Perezhogin has not been given a chance to play an offensive role for this team.

Aha! Now we really begin to see the quandry with this team next season. Make no mistake, Perezoigen, kostitsen, Latendresse, Lapierre, are all very talented young players who need ice time to develop. There are several more in the AHL this year as well. It begs the question, what does Gainey do over the summer? As samsonov showed, its no use for us to sign a middle to bottom tier forward, as our young guys are probably better than those guys, given equal ice time. If we go with all youth, we will be in a dogfight to make the playoffs, again. Are we patient enough to wait another year or 2 before becoming contenders? If so, we trade our tradable veterans, like Koivu, Kovalov, etc for younger guys who are not quite there yet, and suffer through another up and down season. If not, then we trade some young guys for a couple of good, solid veterans, and pick up an ufa or 2, and go for it next year. The Gainey approach is probably somewhere in between those two options. I don't know what the right answer is..anyone have any thoughts?

Lats - Koivu - Ryder

I really like these lines. and I think I'd prefer keeping Johnson with Perogie and Bonk, and Kovy with Lappy and Beige. These combinations have already worked, and honestly, the 3rd line as is with these combos already has offensive potential, same with the 4th. Plus, this third line has already shown (at the beginning of the year, when it was being used) that it can be a major shut down line.

Perezhogin has played 15 minutes or more about 5 or 6 times this year I would guess.

Also when he did play those minutes he was a + player and playing with defensive players Bonk and Johnson.

Last year in his first 7 games Perezhogin played around 14:30 + per game with offensive players (Koivu and Kovalev) In those 7 games he had 4 goals and 4 assists.

Sorry I have to disagree and so do the numbers Perezhogin has not been given a chance to play an offensive role for this team.

I agree that Perogie really hasn't gotten a chance to show off his offense. I would DEFINITELY say it's a good idea to give him that chance, but until then, I think he's shown he can play amazingly on the third with Bonk and Johnny. Next year, with one or both of them gone, Plex will probably go down to the third as the center, and Perogie should move up to the second. I know they don't play the exact same position, but there'll have to be some shuffling.

What I really liked about this game is that the kids ALL got a chance (not one or two shifts, but a full game) to contribute, and did. This is what people were talking about in the other thread, that we have to be committed to developing our younger players. This means don't give up on them and play them less when we're down by two. Finally, it seems Carbo actually stuck with them, and look what happened. A "W" won't be the result every game, but long term, I think this is MUCH better for the team then sticking with those established vets that are near the end of their career and on their way down.

You're right about first 7 games of last season JMMR, but not about the rest of the season nor about this year, he has been given chances on the top lines and was pretty invisible (with Ribs and kovalev, with kovalev and sammy, with pleks and kovalev...)

However, he's good on the 3rd line.

I loved the Islanders game, but it would be unduly optimistic to expect that level of play on a nightly basis from these young players. We can't *plan* on the basis of lats being a beast and Kostytn getting 3 points every night.

What I hope is that Carbo learns from this game. UNLEASH your young players. If they have talent, good things will happen. Until Gainey put him with Koivu, Higgins was pegged as a checker. Carbo seems to have pegged Perezhogin the same way. Not good.

The BIG problem that Gainey faces now, though - apart from the headache of trying to sign Souray for less than a billion a year - is that Pleks/Koivu or Koivu/Pleks is WAAAY to weak up the middle. More and more, the issue is that Koivu seems to be sliding into a 2nd-line C profile (which is how many people argue that he should have been positioned all along). But this leaves us with two bona fide #2 centremen.

Therefore Bob should go after Briere (or Datsyuk, if he'll have us). But this would require moving Pleks back to the 3rd line, since Koivu will never accept being a 3rd line C, nor would he be good in that role.

You know, assuming we can sign a Briere, the real answer may be to trade Koivu, IF he will waive his no-trade clause. But I'm sure many teams would kill to have him.

Either that, or go with a 'rotating' 2nd line C position, giving neither Koivu nor Pleks any clear superiority. But that could hurt both players.

Perezhogin has been used in the shootout a couple of times. It doesn't mean much but if he really REALLY wanted to play... that was his shot. As far as I know he's never scored on one before and he had a chance to be the saviour in the Nashville game.

But I agree that we should not be benching a high-potential prospect.

I loved the Islanders game, but it would be unduly optimistic to expect that level of play on a nightly basis from these young players. We can't *plan* on the basis of lats being a beast and Kostytn getting 3 points every night.

What I hope is that Carbo learns from this game. UNLEASH your young players. If they have talent, good things will happen. Until Gainey put him with Koivu, Higgins was pegged as a checker. Carbo seems to have pegged Perezhogin the same way. Not good.

The BIG problem that Gainey faces now, though - apart from the headache of trying to sign Souray for less than a billion a year - is that Pleks/Koivu or Koivu/Pleks is WAAAY to weak up the middle. More and more, the issue is that Koivu seems to be sliding into a 2nd-line C profile (which is how many people argue that he should have been positioned all along). But this leaves us with two bona fide #2 centremen.

Therefore Bob should go after Briere (or Datsyuk, if he'll have us). But this would require moving Pleks back to the 3rd line, since Koivu will never accept being a 3rd line C, nor would he be good in that role.

You know, assuming we can sign a Briere, the real answer may be to trade Koivu, IF he will waive his no-trade clause. But I'm sure many teams would kill to have him.

Either that, or go with a 'rotating' 2nd line C position, giving neither Koivu nor Pleks any clear superiority. But that could hurt both players.

You're right about Koivu... but I see Plek as more of a 3rd line offensive center...

Perezhogin has been used in the shootout a couple of times. It doesn't mean much but if he really REALLY wanted to play... that was his shot. As far as I know he's never scored on one before and he had a chance to be the saviour in the Nashville game.

But I agree that we should not be benching a high-potential prospect.

He's not being benched, I'm pretty sure he still has headaches.

Yes Perezhogin still has concussion issues.

And alexstream I know you believe Perezhogin has got a chance this year but I really do not. Never has he had full consecutive games on a top line. Should you disagree just take a look at the stats linked to the front page of habsworld.

Lats - Koivu - Ryder

That Begin-Lapierre-Kovalev line will really need to take it to the pens, match them against the pens top o-lines. Begin & Lapierre's (and Komi's) mean hitting needs to keep crosby and malkin at bay, otherwise they will probably take advantage of Abby.

Fortunately most teams dont have great goaltending either. Fleury has been pretty inconsistent for pittsburg, Tbo might even get the start since he SO'd new jersey yesterday.

Perezhogin scored on every single shootout in the pre-season. He lead the pre-season league in shootout goals.

Perezhogin scored on every single shootout in the pre-season. He lead the pre-season league in shootout goals.

Nice, so those goals help us how?

Perzhogin is good on the third line. He HAS been given lots of ice time. I realize that he has potential, but who would you send down to the third line so he could get a chance on the first? The first line has been getting points lately, even though Koivu is not at his best. Leave the first line alone.

But he wasn't fighting for an NHL spot back then, was he? The one against Nashville, he knew full well at the time that if he scored he would probably become a regular back in the lineup (assuming he didn't screw up the next game or two).

I don't miss Perez or Kovalev at all (well yes I miss them, but put them on the 3rd or 4th line, Kost and Lats are WAY WAY WAY more usefull on a 1st - 2nd line)

kovalev i don't miss but perezhogin i hope he gets a solid shot again next year with all the other young kids... things could probably look really good there....

GO :hlogo: GO!