Who will be leaving?

I always wonder near the end of the regular season... about who will retire. Right now, no big names come to mind for the Canadiens. But the bigger factor is, who will gainey let go as free agent. I really don't know, Markov and Souray are both going to be UFA's as well as some other big name Habs.

If Gainey decides to let some of our beloved Habs go, then who will he get in return?

The general media consensus is that Souray is gone. I hope not, or else Bob made a serious mistake in not trading him at the deadline.

Bonk will be gone too, IMHO - at least if Bob thinks he can sign Briere or some other elite centremen. (Pleks would then become our third-line centreman: cheaper and with more offensive upside).

Johnson is probably redundant given our strength on the wings. He's gone.

Markov, I think, will stay, because the Habs will probably top any offer he gets.

But Aeby is gone too, made redundant by Halak.

The general media consensus is that Souray is gone. I hope not, or else Bob made a serious mistake in not trading him at the deadline.

Bonk will be gone too, IMHO - at least if Bob thinks he can sign Briere or some other elite centremen. (Pleks would then become our third-line centreman: cheaper and with more offensive upside).

Markov, I think, will stay, because the Habs will probably top any offer he gets.

Keeping Souray and making the playoffs = more cash in the coffers to try to retain him... or if we lose him, to sign a replacement.

Trading him = 2-3 POTENTIAL Question Marks (look at smyth's return, it couldn't have been greater for Souray... and we're not sure how these guys will turn) = not making the playoffs = less cash in the coffers to offer for replacement on the blueline.

IF we make the playoffs, keeping Souray was the BEST decision to take, even if we lose him.

I suspect Souray will be gone, too, but I don't think that BG made a mistake in not trading him, even if he doesn't intend to make an offer to Souray in the summer.

As much as I dig Souray for his offensive skills and leadership, and as much as I think his defensive vulnerability was largely the product of distorted focus and a pairing with Craig Rivet (yes, I know, he is seriously vulnerable on fast breaks, but subtract those relatively rare situations and add Janne Niinimaa and he's decent), he is most likely going to pull down a 6M$ contract for next year for a respectable but mortal 42 points in 07-08. Unless he's willing to eat a 40% discount to stay in Montreal (I suspect he'd actually be willing to go 10% below market to stay here, but not 40%), his contract would be a distraction in Montreal next year, and Bob needs that 6M$ elsewhere.

But as for not trading him, I think it's helpful to conceive of the decision as one where the Habs traded an impending UFA with excessive market value (Souray) for the top PP quarterback in the entire league to come in and fill the void left by Souray and give the team a boost for the playoff run (Souray). Souray for Souray! Brilliant trade! Yes, the rental player you traded for (Souray) will be gone at the end of the year, but that's the downside of being a buyer at the deadline.

I know I'm repeating myself, but the Habs, in 7th at the deadline, just could not be sellers, and, without giving up serious prospects (nobody's going to fall for the Josef Balej move again), could not be buyers.

As for the other UFAs...Aebischer, Niinimaa and Leighton (an RFA, I know) won't get offers, Bonk and (more so) Johnson are possibilities, and Downey may be a surprising re-signing.

Markov? An absolute must-sign. Not much of a sniper but his passes are surreal. Luckily, he's undervalued on the UFA market.

Yeah if you have to choose between Souray and Markov, it's gotta be Markov. Niinimaa will also likely be gone, along with Aebischer, Bonk, Johnson, and hopefully Samsonov.

I'd keep Johnson. IMO, he was the reason Bonk looked good this season. IMO, any of Lapierre, Chipchura, etc... playing with Johnson could do as well if not better than Bonk.

I'm keeping Markov, even if we have to offer the moon... he's the most underrated Dman in the league.

Ryder Koivu Kovalev

Higgins UFA/Grabovski Kost

Perez Pleks Lats

Begin Lapierre --

Thats what i would love to see. 3 Scoring lines and one defensive!

Gone: Souray, Niinimaa, Samsonov, Aebischer, Bonk, Johnson, Murray.

I really don't think that Murray will be gone. The only way he could be gone is if you get somebody to take him (he has a contract for next season), and he's a competent PKer and 4th-liner (or has been since January) who saves you from keeping a roster spot for a goon.

Ryder Koivu Kovalev

Higgins UFA/Grabovski Kost

Perez Pleks Lats

Begin Lapierre --

Thats what i would love to see. 3 Scoring lines and one defensive!

Gone: Souray, Niinimaa, Samsonov, Aebischer, Bonk, Johnson, Murray.

I agree.

With two years under our belt in the newNHL it now seems apparant according to our stats

during those years that we have not fully commited our team to play a style to take advantage

of the new rules in the league.

Our resistance to forecheck fully as kept us from being nowhere near being a dangerous team when

5-on-5 which has further erode our chances of scorings by making us a team with one of the fewest

penaltys being taking against in the league.

Our next season could be line-up with more speed and more scoring talents than our previous season did

and pretty much any team out there.

Ryder, Koivu, Kovalev

Higgins, Briere, Kostsitsyn

Perezhogin, Plekanec, Latendresse

Begin, Garbovski, Lapierre

This team will have no problem outscoring most team at even-strenght and their speed would have other

teams hooking us like crasy........keeping Souray and adding another right handed player

to our PP (Briere) will assure our team the most efficient power play in the league.

Plekanec could join Begin and Lapierre for the rare games were a checking line would be needed.

Keeping Souray means keeping size and a physical presence, leadership and scoring prowess......

hopefully it's possible to keep him, Markov and to get Briere in.

Some of the money will be saved by the letting go of Bonk, Johnson, Aebisher, Niinima, 2 third of Samsonov salary can be saved next season, keeping Murray in the AHL wont go against the cap and using

22 regulards instead of 23 and even 21 for that matter would save more money....... lets take advantage of our versatile Streit and Dandenault which can play forwards when injurie occurs.

Markov, Souray, Bouillon, Komisarek, Dandenault, Streit, Gorges

Huet, Halack

I would like the team to move forward offensivelly......this line-up is young but fast and skilled and would have no problem to shine in the league. I also wouldn'mind if Gainey shakes up Kovalev or something else......

i agree with much of what you say.

you can likely add niinimaa and danis... i mention danis because he's a legitimate contender for the place of goalie

GO :hlogo: GO!

I suspect Souray will be gone, too, but I don't think that BG made a mistake in not trading him, even if he doesn't intend to make an offer to Souray in the summer.

As much as I dig Souray for his offensive skills and leadership, and as much as I think his defensive vulnerability was largely the product of distorted focus and a pairing with Craig Rivet (yes, I know, he is seriously vulnerable on fast breaks, but subtract those relatively rare situations and add Janne Niinimaa and he's decent), he is most likely going to pull down a 6M$ contract for next year for a respectable but mortal 42 points in 07-08. Unless he's willing to eat a 40% discount to stay in Montreal (I suspect he'd actually be willing to go 10% below market to stay here, but not 40%), his contract would be a distraction in Montreal next year, and Bob needs that 6M$ elsewhere.

But as for not trading him, I think it's helpful to conceive of the decision as one where the Habs traded an impending UFA with excessive market value (Souray) for the top PP quarterback in the entire league to come in and fill the void left by Souray and give the team a boost for the playoff run (Souray). Souray for Souray! Brilliant trade! Yes, the rental player you traded for (Souray) will be gone at the end of the year, but that's the downside of being a buyer at the deadline.

I know I'm repeating myself, but the Habs, in 7th at the deadline, just could not be sellers, and, without giving up serious prospects (nobody's going to fall for the Josef Balej move again), could not be buyers.

As for the other UFAs...Aebischer, Niinimaa and Leighton (an RFA, I know) won't get offers, Bonk and (more so) Johnson are possibilities, and Downey may be a surprising re-signing.

Markov? An absolute must-sign. Not much of a sniper but his passes are surreal. Luckily, he's undervalued on the UFA market.

Heheh :clap::clap: I think that's the wittiest thing I've read on here in months... Never thought of it that way, but you're probably right... I also agree that Markov's a definite must-sign, and judging by what he said in that interview last week, he'll probably be under contract before the UFA season starts...

The general media consensus

this where your premise falls apart because the general media is usually wrong. we will see :clap: when it happens if you think that ek or big head bob or some other guy knows what is in their head you must think that BIG BOB GAINEY AND CARBO are stupid which they are not.They will win the cup within 2 yearsand I guarantee it! money plus 50 % guarantee :clap::clap::clap:

Bonk - gone

Johnson - gone

Ryder - 50/50

Souray - will sign + home town discount

Markov -sign

Those are pure guesses.

bonk stays he now likes it here

Johnson - stays he is a habs

Ryder - def stays or is traded but he is a habs

Souray - may re sign should re sign will never be the same anywhere else needs to be a habs

Markov -sign no question

abby gone cause we dont giv a damn

sorry about the poor typing had a few

Bonk staying or going most likely depends on whether or not we acquire a #1 or #2 centre (or elect to go with Grabs).

I'd say Johnson is probably a 50/50, I could see him staying, but I could also see him leaving. I think it probably hinges on how the rest of the team shapes up.

Ryder will most likely stay, but who knows, he could be traded for a centre.

I feel the same about Souray as I do with Johnson, but I think a large focus will be on how much of a discount he's willing to give us.

Markov is staying without a doubt in my mind.

Abby is definitely gone, we've got more than enough goaltenders in the system who can easily replace him and be more cost-effective.

I hate seeing Bonk and Johnson go, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

They have great chemistry and are by far our best penalty killers, but we need to free up cap space and hope the rooks show up, with the likes of resigning both markov and souray. They are like McCabe and Kaberle...they need each other.

Abby can flop somewhere else, Ryder can go somewhere else too! :hlogo:

What i would like to see is the following:

1) Markov is a must to resign, all signals point to this from what i have read.

2) Souray, would be great if he could be resigned, great threat on the PP, gritty and a team leader, tough to replace even with his odd defensive lapse

3) Johnson, underated checker who can put up some points, would love for him to be resigned

4) Bonk, would like him to stay at a reduced salary, strong checking center, might have to be let go if a top line center can be signed

5) Ninimaa, only cheap as defensive depth

6) Abby, there is no way he should be back

7) Sammy, one year left on the contract, looks like he won't work out and there are plenty of young guns ready to take his place, hope somehow Gainey can ship him out

I think we should keep Pleks as our 2nd line center. He has been great for along while now. Might be time to lose Koivu in exchange for a real no.1 center. I love Koivu but I think Id rather keep a young Plekanec as our no.2 than a 4M $ 32+ Koivu. Send him to Minnesota and Mikko and I think everyone will be happy. That is IF we can get a no.1 center.

(yes I am not sure about Koivus age but Im quite sure it has passed 32)

Out:

Bonk

Johnson

Aebischer

Niinimaa

Samsonov (bought out)

[Rivet]

Incoming UFA:

Markov

Souray

Briere (/Datsyuk/whoever)

Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek et al get their raises.

Everything else stays the same except we might need to bring in a solid 3rd liner via trade or free agency due to the amount of players leaving. Grabovski or Chipchura or Ferland may be able to take one of those spots. We'll see if O'Byrne (or Emelin?) is ready.

Why Johnson?! Bonk will leave so in my opinion Johnson will be vital to the team. Plekanec, Kastitsyn and Johnson sounds good to me.

Aebischer will be gone, and Im a bit disapointed that the Habs never got something in return.

Niinimaa didn't find his game in Montreal so he will take a cut or leave. I haven't given up on Samsonov yet so I hope the get someone who can lift him to former heights.

Goodbye Souray and Markov stays.

Why Johnson?! Bonk will leave so in my opinion Johnson will be vital to the team. Plekanec, Kastitsyn and Johnson sounds good to me.

Aebischer will be gone, and Im a bit disapointed that the Habs never got something in return.

Niinimaa didn't find his game in Montreal so he will take a cut or leave. I haven't given up on Samsonov yet so I hope the get someone who can lift him to former heights.

Goodbye Souray and Markov stays.

Johnson is a great guy to have but we'll have to let him walk if we want to bring in a point-a-game center like Briere (or keep Souray).

Samsonov is done in Montreal. He's not being benched because he's not playing well - he's being benched because Carbo doesn't want to deal with him anymore. No matter who we bring in to help or who's injured, Carbonneau refuses to play Samsonov. He'll either be bought out or hopefully, traded for a cheap return.

Leaving:

Aebischer

Bonk

Johnson

Niinimaa

Samsonov (bought out/dumped for a 5th round pick)

Souray (unfortunately)

Coming/staying:

Halak

Markov

Milroy/Chipchura/Ferland

Datsyuk/whomever

Dman to replace Souray

I have a feeling Gainey will let Johnson and Bonk go to make room for Milroy or Chipchura (or Ferland) and to give us the cap room to bring in a star #1 centre and to replace Souray (who I am afraid is leaving).

Edited by Peter Puck

leaving:

Aebisher

Bonk

Johnson

Staying:

Halak

Kostitsyn

Markov

Souray

Samsonov

Niinimaa

Samsonov will get another chance next year (and prosper playing without Kovalev), and Niinimaa will be back if we can get him to take a lower salary.

Edited by revin5