Flyers acquire Hartnell and Timonen

Good move for a team with lots of cap room, why risk waiting till UFA time.

Unfortunately it doesn't look good for Montreal right now, Souray will hit free agency, and Gainey is going to be forced to overpay to find a good replacement.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they will be significantly better then last year. Maybe fighting for an 8 seed. Biron is a solid goalie. Great youth and speed.

Smon. I actually think Gainey can pull a trade to upgrade the D, EH does have Ryder, Halak and Huet to dangle out there. Not can fetch atleast an upgrade to the D core.

Wow...I'm a little peeved because I wanted the Avs to sign Hartnell but not for 4.2 freaking mil.

Really not looking forward to the ripple effect this will have on the rest of the market.

I agree. I was sure Montreal was not interested in Hartnell, but definitely Timonen. Leave it to the Flyers to once again:

1. Shock us with a trade.

2. Overpay good but not elite talent.

3. Amaze me how fast they can retool.

4. Just get under my skin pulling these deals out of nowhere.

That Is All! :hlogo:

Excellent move by Homer. :clap: These deals were realistically what Hartnell and Timonen were going to get anyways. It has been said that the market would be insane this summer and I'd say Hartnell got exactly what was predicted. Timonen maybe a slight overpayment but that's what you have to do in order to get what you want. In the end Homer made a great trade and this is REALLY going to help the Flyers move right back into contention sooner rather than later. ^_^

supid moves like this make me wish the cap would go donw back to 39 Mil.

kimonen is a great D and hartnell is a solid winger. wayyyyyyyyyyyy overpaid.

players l;ike drury , gomez and briere must be drooling !!

People are forgetting that the Flyers were the worst team in the NHL last year. For players to sign with them, they have to overpay. They even overpaid for Biron.

They've also signed Timmonen through to he's 38. It could be a front-loaded deal, so that Kimmo gets most of his money in 4 years and then he might retire. Since they signed him before he was 35, if he retires, it doesn't count against the cap. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Philly is paying him $8m+ next year, and the last year is worth only $1.5m or $2m.

People are forgetting that the Flyers were the worst team in the NHL last year. For players to sign with them, they have to overpay. They even overpaid for Biron.

They've also signed Timmonen through to he's 38. It could be a front-loaded deal, so that Kimmo gets most of his money in 4 years and then he might retire. Since they signed him before he was 35, if he retires, it doesn't count against the cap. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Philly is paying him $8m+ next year, and the last year is worth only $1.5m or $2m.

I read the breakdown somewhere actually, I think the first 3 years he's being paid 8 mil.

Flyers make me laugh... So bad organisation! What they think they gonna win with those 2 guys ?? the 9th spot ??? Souray could ask for 9 mils per year now...

Edited by JoeLassister

Call me crazy, and by the end of the first week of july, you might be able to just call me "wrong," but I don't think that alll contracts will follow this pattern of being disgustingly expensive. (And that's what these are: disgusting.) Timmonen is a solid defenseman, but $6.3 mil puts him $300,000 AHEAD of Rob Blake, $450,000 short of Scott Niedermayer, $1.3 mil short of Nicklas lidstrom, and $50,000 AHEAD of Chris Pronger. I doubt anybody starts off a list of the best defensemen in the NHL: "Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger Timmonen." That's a disgrace. The $4.2 mil is a little more sensible, but not much.

But I digress. Only a few contracts will go this way. Too many teams are paying too much attention to the bottom line to tie up that kind of money for so long. Philadelphia's on-ice product is falling apart at the seams, and my Colorado Avalanche (unfortunately) are a prime example of the kinds of mistakes that a desparate, crumbling franchise will make. (See: Theodore (you were all right about him, especially Fanpuck, Theo's awful), Turgeon, and Brisebois (See the note on Theodore)).

A few of the big names will get crazy contracts from desparate teams, but the prices will come out of the stratosphere once those 2 or 3 teams have gotten through their spending fix.

What I would worry about is this seeming loophole where teams can trade for the exclusive rights to talk to a free-agent to be, that could be very frustrating.

Funny part is, if the cap gets up around $47 mil, we'll be approaching what some of the medium-big market teams were paying anyway. Dallas, for instance was right around $50 mil right before the lockout. Only the mega-spenders (Detroit, NYR, Colorado, and compnay) were above where we are now.

The Flyers are the pre-lockout Rangers. :clap:

I think the Flyers could be decent next season. They have a lot of good youth a decent goalie now and the players they just signed today. If they can stay healthy and get some good keeping from Biron they could easily make the playoffs.

Looks like they already made Timonen their new captain http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?service=pag...amp;type=roster

I like the move and the commitment to win by the Flyers. I am wondering if they could beat the Nordiques record for the best improvement in consecutive years. Nordiques went from 52 pts in 1991-92 to 104 the next year.

Flyers had 56 last year. 108 might be pretty high but they'll make the playoffs for sure. It will be Richards and Carter breakout years. Upshall, Hartnell, York, Knuble, Sanderson, Kapanen.. good core. And what about Gagné! Good young and skilled team. ANd they have the 2nd overall pick this year. Biron/Niittymaki in net, Timonen, Pitkanen, Coburn, Hatcher, Picard and Kukkonen on defense... not bad!

Congratz to Philly for getting the guys they want. They overpaid but they're the ones laughing when they make the playoffs.

Yeah and anyways that 1st was a throw in by Nashville in the Forsberg trade.

So finally the trade looks like this: Upshall, Parent, Timonen, Hartnell and a 3rd rounder for Forsberg. And how many games will Forsberg play next year?

Nashville was building a very darn good team. Now all is falling apart

:o Wow!

Flyers might actually attract a free agent now (not sure about their cap room though?).

They have some space left. Dumping some guys could really help them.

Holmgren is definitely on a roll. If the Flyers get one more mobile defenceman, and maybe one more secondary scorer for the 2nd or 3rd line, they'll have an awesome team.

Holmgren is definitely on a roll. If the Flyers get one more mobile defenceman, and maybe one more secondary scorer for the 2nd or 3rd line, they'll have an awesome team.

ON PAPER