has gainey finished his shopping ?

MAK

Christ I hope Gainey is done shopping.....Hamrlik and Smolinski......thats garbage....absolute garbage

wait you will see Yashin there just you wait :P

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, Ryder shouldn't get more than 2.5 - 2.75. Pleks, 2.0 - 2.5.

Anyone like Vlad Nagy ? Help on the left side might be in order.

Nagy's off to LA, 1 year, $3.75M.

As for Lahti (Mr. Nasty asked earlier), base of $560 K + 290K in incentives.

The contract sticky has all the cap info in it guys, updated an hour ago.

Honestly..... Almost $15 Million in cap room. Gomez, Briere, Drury, Rafalski, Souray, Smythe, Hannan, Kariya, Blake and Forsberg just some of the big names available and Gainey comes up with Roman Hamrlik and Bryan Smolinski. WTF?

Thats no better than coming up with Janne Niinima and Radek Bonk who were already on the roster and much cheaper.

We deserve better as Montreal Canadiens fans....our team is no better than it was last year. Our team is actually worse than it was last year.

There is no scoring help. There is just barely a little better defensive help, yet we lost our best PP asset.

This is absolute bullshit...... I know have ZERO faith left in Bob Gainey......I hope he proves me wrong and pulls some miracle trade out of his ass, but right now this is just depressing

aye its definitely plan F kaos, Hamrlik is a honest defensemen and probably better than Sourray defensively but he wont be a treat on the PP. Man against man, maybe we're better off Sourray but it's hard to say with Hamrlik aging but also Do you think Sourray will repeat his season in an other NHL club?

As for Smolinski he's a slight upgrade over Bonk however we have pretty much statu quo to what we had last year. Could Chip or Grabovsky, Lapierre have done the job, maybe? But then what happends if Koivu or Plek gets hurt....we would of been in a bad position...Smolinski is basically a safety signature in my mind till the young guns are fully ready.

If i had 4-5 mil left like the supposition here....I would perhaps go for some RFA.

for example for a player who earns : $3.5 to $4.7 million. : would cost the Habs a first, second and third rounder.

I would make an offer to Thomas Vanek and offer a 1st 2nd and 3rd choice to get hands on young guns such as Thomas Vanek or something similar /Dustin penner/ Marek Svatos.

Anaheim, Avs, and Buffalo all have high salaries so if they cant equal the offer, they would get bent over and we would get the player from what i understand :)

Wow that would just be terrible

Bertuzzi just made the Ducks the meanest team since the Broad Street Bullies. Hope it blows up in their face !

Fearless prediction.....

Cashin will end up in Chicago.

Nagy's off to LA, 1 year, $3.75M.

Hmphh. I gotta spend more time watching TV rather than popping brew, BBQ'ing T-bones and pool-dipping.

Nah. I'll stay the course. ^_^

Honestly..... Almost $15 Million in cap room. Gomez, Briere, Drury, Rafalski, Souray, Smythe, Hannan, Kariya, Blake and Forsberg just some of the big names available and Gainey comes up with Roman Hamrlik and Bryan Smolinski. WTF?

Thats no better than coming up with Janne Niinima and Radek Bonk who were already on the roster and much cheaper.

We deserve better as Montreal Canadiens fans....our team is no better than it was last year. Our team is actually worse than it was last year.

There is no scoring help. There is just barely a little better defensive help, yet we lost our best PP asset.

This is absolute bullshit...... I know have ZERO faith left in Bob Gainey......I hope he proves me wrong and pulls some miracle trade out of his ass, but right now this is just depressing

He offered the most money for Briere and Smyth but they turned him down. What do you want him to do? Do you know why these guys turned him down? Because people like you whine about every move every person in the Habs' organization makes and they don't want people like yuo judging them. Kariya went to the Blues to avoid the media pressure. Shanahan ditched us for less money. Aucoin signed with Chicago when gainey offered just as much.

If the guy doesn't want to splay in Montreal - then we can't have him! (nor should we want him, anyway)

Bob should have just bit the bullett and signed some 1-2 year deals.

That is way to much to pay for Hamrlik. The term and the money for a guy who is anything but a guarantee to play to that contract.

Smolinksi is a 1 year deal so it causes minimal damage.

Pretty sad. But that being said, the success of this team lies in the performance of Higgins/Pleks/Ryder/Lats/Price and their improvement.

He offered the most money for Briere and Smyth but they turned him down. What do you want him to do? Do you know why these guys turned him down? Because people like you whine about every move every person in the Habs' organization makes and they don't want people like yuo judging them. Kariya went to the Blues to avoid the media pressure. Shanahan ditched us for less money. Aucoin signed with Chicago when gainey offered just as much.

If the guy doesn't want to splay in Montreal - then we can't have him! (nor should we want him, anyway)

Actually Kariya was set to go to Pittsburgh for 4M a year, but StL swooped in and offered him 6M a season. So it's hardly a comparable situation.

I would have liked him to offered a bit more in an attempt to sign Brian Rafalski, who actually is a much better player than both Sheldon Souray and Roman Hamrlik.

Do you honestly think that the players are so afraid of the fans?? It's not the fans they're wary of, it's the media.

But that being said, the success of this team lies in the performance of Higgins/Pleks/Ryder/Lats/Price and their improvement.

I don't think Hamrlik is such a wash, and might be a step in the right direction in the general sense.

But whatever anyone thinks of him or Smolinski, your line there is absolutely 100% spot-on - and that is clearly what management is thinking. Add Kostysin and maybe Lapierre to a degree too.

I don't think Hamrlik is such a wash, and might be a step in the right direction in the general sense.

But whatever anyone thinks of him or Smolinski, your line there is absolutely 100% spot-on - and that is clearly what management is thinking. Add Kostysin and maybe Lapierre to a degree too.

After absorbing the Hamrlik signing I am still a little wary of the dollars involved but I think he will improve the defense.

Carbo and Gainey are trying to implement a defensive system. One that brought a Calder Cup to Hamilton.

All the kids coming up will know it and they are slowly placing parts that will excel in that system.

Hamrlik is a better fit for what they want to achieve than Souray and Smolinski will replace Bonk and adds more scoring than Bonk would have provided.

I am glad Briere did not accept that offer. He is not a $7M player. Sometimes you are saved from your mistakes. Thanks Daniel.

I am going to watch and hope that the Kids get better and Price possibly makes the leap. I am going to focus on the fact that the farm system won the Calder Cup and that the best prospect in the game plays for the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

I have had enough negativity for 1 year.

Edited by Wamsley01

After absorbing the Hamrlik signing I am still a little wary of the dollars involved but I think he will improve the defense.

Carbo and Gainey are trying to implement a defensive system. One that brought a Calder Cup to Hamilton.

All the kids coming up will know it and they are slowly placing parts that will excel in that system.

Hamrlik is a better fit for what they want to achieve than Souray and Smolinski will replace Bonk and adds more scoring than Bonk would have provided.

I am glad Briere did not accept that offer. He is not a $7M player. Sometimes you are saved from your mistakes. Thanks Daniel.

I am going to watch and hope that the Kids get better and Price possibly makes the leap. I am going to focus on the fact that the farm system won the Calder Cup and that the best prospect in the game plays for the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

I have had enough negativity for 1 year.

Yeah, I can't believe the negativity either. It's hysterical and demoralizing. Wamsley, your attitude is exactly right IMHO. We will stand or fall with youth - which is as it should be - and I think it reasonable to expect that at least one of the following - Higgins, Pleks, Komisarek, or Lats - to really step up and emerge as a major player this season. Higgins, I'm lookin' at you! :hockey: That, and a team that really buys into what Carbo is selling instead of whining and puling. These two factors would make a huge difference.

One thing about Souray. In his excellent press conference last season Gainey said he hated the team's 'imbalance' - its undue reliance on special teams and horrible 5 on 5 performance. I think his refusal to overpay for Souray stems from this desire to rebalance the club, and I suspect he actually prefers Hamrlik to Souray because of the former's more balanced game. Just a thought.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yeah, I can't believe the negativity either. It's hysterical and demoralizing. Wamsley, your attitude is exactly right IMHO. We will stand or fall with youth - which is as it should be - and I think it reasonable to expect that at least one of the following - Higgins, Pleks, Komisarek, or Lats - to really step up and emerge as a major player this season. Higgins, I'm lookin' at you! :hockey: That, and a team that really buys into what Carbo is selling instead of whining and puling. These two factors would make a huge difference.

One thing about Souray. In his excellent press conference last season Gainey said he hated the team's 'imbalance' - its undue reliance on special teams and horrible 5 on 5 performance. I think his refusal to overpay for Souray stems from this desire to rebalance the club, and I suspect he actually prefers Hamrlik to Souray because of the former's more balanced game. Just a thought.

I got caught up in their good start last season and wanted to jump start the rebuild. But they just were not that good.

So when they fell apart it was easy to get caught up in the panic.

But Higgins showed us he is close to making that leap to impact player, Lats showed flashes of being a force in the future,

Pleks became an invaluable player, Lapierre showed he was NHL ready and Kostitsyn showed some great playmaking ability before getting injured.

Halak came up and sparked the Habs down the stretch when it looked like they were finished. Komisarek continued to progress

and the crown jewel Carey Price had a year that none of us could have dreamed for last October.

Add what the rest of the prospects added to the mix and I am finished whiniing about Samsonov/Hamrlik etc.

I don't want to listen to players talking about themselves anymore. I want players who are dedicated to Bob/Carbo's concept.

For those who don't like it, goodbye. You are replaceable. If Briere did not come here because he was worried about the pressure

for his family, then we didn't want him here. It is a privilege to play in a city like Montreal that eats/sleeps hockey.

THe sky is hardly falling and what they are doing here is building a contender, not a 1-2 year blip.

:unsure: ....Damn...I was hoping you would have just said Gainey is finished..PERIOD...meaning gone as a GM....

Ok..if he is finished..at least bring up Grabovski for the 2nd line!!!

He is NHL ready!

:unsure: ....Damn...I was hoping you would have just said Gainey is finished..PERIOD...meaning gone as a GM....

Ok..if he is finished..at least bring up Grabovski for the 2nd line!!!

He is NHL ready!

He's better chances of doing so Grabo is.. He's gonna have to fight Salmo over it... the thing is Someone will have to fill in Bonk's shoes and that could Plek or Slomo... Unless Lapierre and Chips can do it (I doubt) So yeah... this leaves Kovalev somewhat in the same situation as last year ... either play him with Koivu or put him with Slomo but that leaves Plek as our 3rd Line captain

In my mind are centers are for sure

1. Koivu

2. Plekanec

3. Smolinski

4. Lapierre.

If Chips or Grabovsky make the team u can always shift Smolinski as a winger and make Plekanec shuts down every single star line ( he did it well in numerous occasion past 2 seasons).

In my mind are centers are for sure

1. Koivu

2. Plekanec

3. Smolinski

4. Lapierre.

If Chips or Grabovsky make the team u can always shift Smolinski as a winger and make Plekanec shuts down every single star line ( he did it well in numerous occasion past 2 seasons).

I think your bang on I could see Chips and Laps alternating as the 4th line centre and the wing.

"Gainey said that centre Corey Locke, a star for the Bulldogs, will likely fight for an NHL job with fellow rookie Mikhail Grabovsky in camp."

source: tsn.ca

<_<

Go :hlogo: go!

Hamilton Bulldogs - 2007 Calder Cup Champions

Just by points and clips from his press confrence alot of vets seem to be on there last legs (it's about time). It also suggests that he may be moving a few vets through trades. Sounds like he is banking on 2 rookie forwards and a O'Byrne making the club.

I hope some of the youngsters get that chance.

Just by points and clips from his press confrence alot of vets seem to be on there last legs (it's about time). It also suggests that he may be moving a few vets through trades. Sounds like he is banking on 2 rookie forwards and a O'Byrne making the club.

I hope some of the youngsters get that chance.

I hope so. It is clear that this team will not be quick fixing itself into a contender and that the future is going to be built from within.

So lets see what we've got. That is good news.