Kovalev appreciation thread

Dalhabs

I am merly pointing out the facts. I didn't bash anyone, i only state the facts. If you think Kovalev is great, more power to you, however his play on the ice differs from your opinion.

There are plenty of players and coaches i don't bash.

I think if you read Chris's comments carefully, you realize he just wants ppl to work hard and earn their (massive) pay cheques. It's not even about if they get really good numbers at the end, just work hard. I can't say I disagree.

I am merly pointing out the facts.

No you do not bash. You are also obviously very knowledgable about hockey. I suspect you played at a high level or was involved in and around hockey to some respectable and/or impressive position. It's just that sometimes you come off as a little condescending or sounding that way. I've been gulity of this myself in this forum and some of the longer serving members can testify to that I'm sure. I don't believe you are intending to do this.

Anyway, I'm sorry too. I think I overreacted in my earlier post. No hard feelings Chris :)

Ye me too, about the overreacted part... Ill blame a tough period at work the last 3 weeks. But still... some people should start being alittle more positive sometimes. :D

• 6 months later...
Ye me too, about the overreacted part... Ill blame a tough period at work the last 3 weeks. But still... some people should start being alittle more positive sometimes. :D

I dragged this out of the gutter because Dalhabs you are right, we all should be more positive sometimes.

Kovalev can smell that winning tradition. I would like to personally thank him for putting a smile on all our faces with his play thus far in the season and wish him luck in the second half to continue into something he could call a career season.

KOVALEV IS OUR MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year at this time who would have thought we could actually say that and mean it................

Wooooooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!

GO! :hlogo: GO !!!!!!

Kovalev is the most tallented players in the game of Hockey.

I assume you meant to say: "ONE of the most talented" and not "THE most talented."

I agree that Kovy is loaded with talent, but to say that he's the most talented ever...i'm not so sure about that. Lemieux is the most talented Player i have ever seen, without a doubt in my mind. However, I agree that Kovy is having a career year.

Some people might point out to his 2001 season in Pittsburgh where he had 95 points(including 44 goals) but what we should remember from that season is that Kovy was playing with Lemieux and Jagr. We don't have anybody of that caliber on the Montréal Canadiens.

If Kovy could finish the season with 80 points, i'd be very pleased.

Do you guys realize that it has been over a decade since we have last seen a player score 80 points in a Habs uniform!!Vinny Damphousse(81pts) and Mark Recchi(80pts) were the last players to do it in the 96-97 season.

...and the last players to get 90 points in a season were Pierre (Sneaky Pete) Turgeon (96pts) and Vinny Damphousse (94pts) in the 95-96 season.

...and the last player to get 100 points was none other than Mats (the Little Viking) Naslund. He had 43g - 67A for 110 points in the 85-86 season. THat was over 20 years ago!!

On a different note, I had almost forgotten just how bad the Habs were during the last part of the 20th century! In the 98-99 season, our leading scorer was Recchi. He had 47 freaking points! The following year, Rucinsky lead the team with 49 points, and in the 00-01 season Koivu and Petrov shared the scoring lead with a pathetic 47 points. Those were horrible years i think i'd rather forget!

once again, from TSN.ca

Kovalev relishing his role as mentor

TSN.ca Staff

1/30/2008 12:36:34 PM

On the eve of the 2007-08 NHL season, a reporter asked Bob Gainey if rookie centre Mikhail Grabovski, who earned an opening day roster spot with the Montreal Canadiens, could elevate the play of Alex Kovalev.

"Maybe it's up to Kovalev to get Grabovski moving," the general manager replied.

Fast forward three months later. While young Grabovski is developing his game in the minors, Kovalev has certainly been a motivator. The 14-year NHL veteran has got his other teammates 'moving' - all the way up to fourth place in the Eastern Conference.

A lot can be credited to the Canadiens' regular season success thus far. Their young players are stepping up, their power play is as lethal as ever and they're playing much better in five on five situations. And there are few doubts in hockey-mad Montreal about who's spearheading these improvements on the ice.

Not only has Kovalev rebounded to become the team's leading scorer, he's also taken the role of a teacher for their young core of players. And while he re-discovered his playing style after watching old tapes from his New York Rangers days over the summer, Kovalev - widely considered the most exciting right-winger on the team since Guy Lafleur - is also absorbing a lot from the team's next generation of stars.

"Sports is always a learning process," he explained to reporters after Tuesday's 4-0 win over Washington. "And being a more experienced guy, you always learn something from the younger guys. You give them the experience you've had in the past and that's the way you create a good line and a good team."

The 'good line' that Kovalev refers to is arguably one of the most explosive in the league - the one he shares with centre Tomas Plekanec and winger Andrei Kostitsyn. While head coach Guy Carbonneau spent a good part of the season shuffling his lines to get more scoring, Kovalev's unit has remained intact.

The Russian veteran credits that back to the good communication he shares with his Plekanec and Kostitsyn. When he's not dazzling the crowd on the ice with his skating and puck-handling skills, he's often seen talking to them on the bench and giving out advice during the game.

"You can't just keep quiet and just keep it to yourself when something goes wrong," he said. "You have to try to figure it out yourself and play as a team."

Those words are a refreshing contrast to last season, when Kovalev scored only 18 goals and had the task of trying to get winger Sergei Samsonov in a groove.

This year has been a much different story with Belerussian forwards Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn under his wing.

"I try to help the Kostitsyns as much as possible," he said.

"I remember when (Andrei) came here, he had so much talent. Actually, both of them had so much talent. They were scared to make mistakes and dumped the puck in which wasn't their kind of style and you could see it. (Andrei) started playing with us and we tried to give him that confidence - to let them control the puck as much as possible and not look after me all the time. And look at him now, he's confident and puts pressure on the other team."

That confidence has paid dividends for Montreal's 13th sibling duo in team history. Andrei has 11 goals and 22 points in his last 23 games, while Sergei - who burned the Capitals with a shorthanded goal on Tuesday - has 11 points in 20 games. They have been so impressive, Carbonneau has even put them out together for a few shifts.

"(Having) the brothers together is always a good thing," said Kovalev.

"They know each other well, play together very well and understand each other well. In Russia, we had teams with two or three brothers and they knew where they were on the ice with their eyes closed. You can throw them into different situations and they can do something, so it's always a good thing."

It's also a good thing for Kovalev, who's having a lot more fun with the younger players developing and the Canadiens on a roll. "Of course I'm having fun," he told reporters with a grin on Wednesday night. "Every game."

Edited by Habsfan

What's not to like. He has made a believer out of the fans, his team mates, the media, and most of all himself.

He said early on in the year he studied his play in the off season to figure out what he was doing wrong. I guess he hit the nail on the head! Bravo Captain!

Oops, "assistant"

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

nice avatar HF84 :clap: You make it?

Kovy sure is fun to watch, that game before the break where he lost his glove, reversed, skated back and picked it up and put it on all the while stickhandling the puck behind the Boston goal, priceless

found

if anyone hasn't seen that deft little manoeuver

MONTREAL – Alex Kovalev is the recipient of the 2007-08 Molson Cup award for January. Kovalev earns the honor for a third consecutive segment and a fourth time since he joined the Canadiens.

Kovalev amassed 15 points in January, four more than netminder Cristobal Huet who collected 11 points.

Kovalev played in all 12 Canadiens games in January, posting a plus-7 rating while leading the team in goals (6) and shots on goal (36). The right-winger also chipped in with 5 assists for a total of 11 points.

The Russian forward currently leads the Molson Cup overall standings with 46 points, eight ahead of Cristobal Huet (38 points).

Kovalev will be presented with the Molson Cup during a pre-game ceremony prior to Saturday’s game against the New York Islanders at the Bell Centre.

Molson Cup standings

KovalevredvsBOS300.jpg

BY the way, in case some of you hadn'T noticed, but Kovalev is 21st in the League for points. He's only 3 point sbehind sundin(with one game in hand). the Same Sundin who everybody keeps saying is having an incredible year. He's on pace to finish the season with 81 points, his highest total since 2001(when he played with Mario and Jaromir).

^Plex deserves alot of credit as well. Plex should finish with about 75 to 78 points, which is awesome for him as well!