Sounds Like Higgins Will Wear The "A"

The Saint

TSN Story Sep 27, 2007

At the very end of the game notes, there is a quote from Carbo praising Higgins and saying he's ready for this challenge.

Awesome...the new leadership is emerging...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Komi wear the "A" a few times this year as well.

TSN Story Sep 27, 2007

At the very end of the game notes, there is a quote from Carbo praising Higgins and saying he's ready for this challenge.

Awesome...the new leadership is emerging...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Komi wear the "A" a few times this year as well.

Excellent news.

I would like to see the Canadiens do this.

Home Road

C- Koivu C- Koiviu

A- Higgins A- Kovalev

A - Markov A- Komisarek

This is great, as well as expected.

Anyone who's watched the games, is Kovy wearing an A? Just curious. It might be worth it to appease him, not because a happy kovy is necessarily always effective, but because an unhappy kovy is ALWAYS detrimental...

this is a great news: kids are finally taking this team over. remember when he was drafted that savard mentionned his leadership qualities.

I'm most intrigued by markov's A. he must be a leader by example. :lol:

anyways: it's nice too see it's not bout saku's click anymore.

Yes, Markov leads by example on the ice. Who cares what he says off the ice.

You wonder why as many said on this board that Rivet and Souray were such great leaders they were let go, i would argue because they never put there money where there mouth was. On the ice they did very little to lead the team.

Higgins and Markov bring it on the ice, which for once is very nice to see.

A little less talking and more playing, that would be music to my ears. I am a still a little sceptical because of the last 10 years. So let's hope the new leadership turns the team around.

You wonder why as many said on this board that Rivet and Souray were such great leaders they were let go, i would argue because they never put there money where there mouth was. On the ice they did very little to lead the team.

A little less talking and more playing, that would be music to my ears. I am a still a little sceptical because of the last 10 years. So let's hope the new leadership turns the team around.

Souray didn't put his money where his mouth is? WHAT!!!

He led the powerplay. He often got the big goal to get the team back into it. He was one of the few on the team who would stick up for other players.

Do you remember that hit on Koivu last year? Who immediately started pounding the guy? Souray.

Souray was definitely a leader on and off the ice last year for the team.

As for Higgins, I like the selection a lot. Call him the leader of the young guns for now, the leader in training for years to come.

Kyle Chipchura is a leader type as well from what i hear, good to see there's some character coming up that might be a missing piece, I'm also hoping the attitude changes after ten years of frustration.

this is a great news: kids are finally taking this team over. remember when he was drafted that savard mentionned his leadership qualities.

I'm most intrigued by markov's A. he must be a leader by example. :lol:

anyways: it's nice too see it's not bout saku's click anymore.

So the two A's are Markov and Higgins? Awesome!

Souray was the worst plus minus man in the league for Dmen. He took dumb penalties, normally after the whistle, trying to act tough. He was horrible in his own end, poor skater, poor passer.

Everyone always brings up 1 play when Koivu got dropped, there were many more incidents where he was challenged and skated away.

His slap shot was grade A and scored many goals, i give him credit for that.

Prediction: He will be minus 20+ in Edmonton and not score 20 goals.

Makes you wonder. Are you really getting good leadership if you finish in the 8th spot every second year and you have an annual swoon in which your team cannot recover from? They might have been leaders on an average team, but if you want a good team then you need new leaders.

Congrats to Markov and Higgins :clap:

Yep, that's why those guys are gone.

I get bashed for calling out Koivu on leadership as well but where i think he is a really good player, heart of a lion, great person and team mate, i just don't see him as a great leader.

Leadership is also why i think Chhipchura makes the cur as well.

Yep, that's why those guys are gone.

I get bashed for calling out Koivu on leadership as well but where i think he is a really good player, heart of a lion, great person and team mate, i just don't see him as a great leader.

Leadership is also why i think Chhipchura makes the cur as well.

Yeah, I love Koivu and I think he is a leader....an inspirational leader, a leader by example. But I don't see him as a guy who will stand up and call people out. A strong leader knows how to work cliques and control them in the process. I am always hearing about the Theo clique, the Kovalev clique, the Koivu clique.

Unfortunately the greatest leaders on this team are guys like Muller, Gainey, Carbo. They are slowly creating the team they want.

But they cannot do the work on the ice. They can't provide the leadership in the room. That has to come from the players themselves.

Mind you since I am not in the room I can only base my opinion on post game comments, media coverage and performance on the ice. So it is not really an informed opinion.

I like JMMR's idea about the home and road A's, bringing Komi into the mix.

I've seen it in real life, well mine anyway, that sometimes the young leaders actually bring out some potentially stagnant or dormant leadership skills from guys like Koivu. It also takes the pressure off so that true leadership isn't contained to 3 or 4 guys, that's how clique develop and we all know how that story goes.

This is a chance to rebuild the team in he image of our management team, look back to the 70's and 80's and you'll see some teams with a very large number of character, leader type guys.

As Harry Chapin so eloquently put it:

" All my life's a circle;

Sunrise and sundown;

Moon rolls thru the nighttime;

Till the daybreak comes around."

I for one am glad to see this part of the circle return...

Ok, about souray. I have to be honest, last year i was ALL about him, that shoot out goal on raycroft was amazing. However in retrospect (post hammer aquisition) I cant say I miss him. His powerplay goals were key to the minimum success that habs had last year, but if our 5 on 5 play was better than i dont think that the powerplay success would have been so necessary. 5 on 5 is where i definitely do not miss souray. one on one with guys he was weak, he let spezza and crosby and a number of other players walk around him with ease, and he commited a number of mistakes.

In Edmonton, he'll do the same thing, it happened in his first pre season game there, gave up the puck which resulted in a goal, then he scored on the powerplay with his bomb. For the habs I see a much better 5 on 5 game this year, hopefully if everyone on the team works their tail off like they actually want to win a cup. Our defense is going to be a + this year with Komi, Markov, Hammer, and O'bryne(?) not to mention Streit who is absolutely killing it this pre-season.

SO all in all, yea Souray was a good thing for the team, leadership wise and offensively, but I think ultimately we're better off without him, and hopefully can replicate the first half of last years season for the entirety of this season(fingers crossed) pending another epidemic lol.

:wacko: Horrible, horrible attitude. People like you are as bad as the media, always bashing players to the nth degree.

I would go further to what you say by saying that whishing for someone to get seriously injured is pretty f***ing stupid.

I hope Breezer comes back and plays great as a 3-6th offensive defenceman with around 10-15 minutes a game and some PP minutes. I can see him get 25-40 points as well. What we lost in Souray I think we got back in Breezer and Hamrlik. (in goals and offence I mean)

:wacko: Horrible, horrible attitude. People like you are as bad as the media, always bashing players to the nth degree.

Tell me otherwise convince me whybrisbois is good!

Where were you when the Bell Center "BOOOHED" him off the ice when he played for usback in 2001-2004

I'm sorry for saying that I want him to have an injury, that was immature. Forgive me for that.

Man, I couldn't stand Brisebois back then. I was so relieved when they let him go. I was very critical of his re-acquisition this time around, both on here and in private.

However, he is part of the team now, and I am earnestly hoping (no, really...) that he has a career year; or can make a solid contribution to the team, in whatever capacity is envisioned for him.

They have played 0 games, mate - get behind the team for now. Who knows what role he will have? I mean, they had him behind the bench during one of the scrimmages at training camp! We know we are not getting a Lindstrom or a Pronger, so let's see what he has to offer.