who would you rather have: Koivu or Sundin?

MAK

I dont know if it has to do with me being a swede or whatever but I'd pick Sundin any day. Almost every time he is in the national team we seem to get the most out of every guy (except when Tommy Salo ruins it all against middzone throwins by belarusians). He has Olympic gold and a few world cups.

Actually I'd take Sundin on the national team over Peter Forsberg even when both where in their prime because Sundin gets the others going and lately Koivu cant seem to do that. Do you guys really think Darcy Tucker would be a 60-70 pts/season player if he didnt play with Sundin? No? Me neither.

But I dont say that I dont like Koivu, he is great, or at least was great until recent slumps and I hope he finds a way back to being great.

Kind of ducking the topic here, but if we had Koivu AND Sundin, we'd be a legitimate contending team. He's exactly the kind of player we need. Imagine our team with the addition of Sundin over the past three seasons. I think we'd have been in or challenging for the conference finals each year.

It's funny that those who pick Koivu have them in the little Fav Habs thing on the left side. Just proves that people don't look at hockey and act like fan boys.

Sundin is like a PS3 and Saku like a Nintendo Wii. PS3 has by far better hardware then Wii, but Wii just ends up having the upper hand in popularity.

It's funny that those who pick Koivu have them in the little Fav Habs thing on the left side. Just proves that people don't look at hockey and act like fan boys.

Sundin is like a PS3 and Saku like a Nintendo Wii. PS3 has by far better hardware then Wii, but Wii just ends up having the upper hand in popularity.

Nothing like a cozy blanket, eh? Vying for the PTG award this thread? ;)

I dont know if it has to do with me being a swede or whatever but I'd pick Sundin any day.

You Swedes are always picking each other - it's not fair. Like that team that won the Olympics... what were they called again? Oh yeah - Team Sweden. The coach was a Swede, and who'd he pick? Nothing but Swedes. The fix was in!

:P

Seriously, yeah, Sundin would be my pick too (I'm Dutch, so there's no chance that I'm biased). I've watched too many Toronto games, and lots of Montreal games, and it's not a particularly tough choice. Sundin is bigger, stronger, and just more effective in his primary role as an offensive player. And when it matters most, he finds a way of coming through (more OT winners in his career than any other player, I believe). Koivu is a player I like, admire, respect, ... and I don't like Sundin at all due to his jersey, so it pains me to say it, but Sundin is the better player.

Good point. I mean, I don't like to admit it since I'm a fan of Koivu, but I think you have to give respect where it's due.

GASP!!! A Koivu fan that's not wearing rose-colored glasses!!! A rare thing indeed. :wacko:

Now Doug Gilmour was a leaf. captain.

why can't we have an x-leaf on the habs.

So I'd be happy with taking sundin and keeping koivu too :)

GO HABS GO!

You can have them both, as a Scandanavian captain will probably never win the cup. I'd take Crosby please.

Please note that the to guys this thread are about are the worst captains, (cups/season as captain) in their francises history. Enough said? Getting over illness and injury, consistantly putting up points are admirable, but you can't wear them on your finger. I know dalhabs etc will be here saying here goes the dumb canuck again, but history will repeat itself again this year when a Canadian captain is awarded the cup.

On a side note, anyone for 6 str8 jr gold metals?

What are Finland and Swedens longest run of gold at those or any other hockey tourney?

Oh Canada!!!!!

Talent does not equal winning desire, heart!

And if it isn't true, then it is very apearant that Canadians are more talented? No I say it is heart, but you can all pick which of those two you think we possess over the rest of the world, it has to be one or the other.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Koivu.

I hate the Leafs, but I have a lot of respect for Sundin. He's a consistent point-getter, even in his old age.

That being said, Koivu represents the fighting spirit of the Habs. A true ice warrior. Just his run-and-gun, underdog style is fun to watch while Sundin is more steady and composed. I especially love how Koivu looks like he never has control of the puck when being pressured, falling all over the place and whatnot, but how he always seems to come up with it at the end. Also, his lateral movement is excellent and makes for thrilling goals.

Plus, battling back from cancer and competing in the playoffs adds ti the whole emotional element of his character.

On top of that, he's a true leader. I'm not sure exactly what goes on in that locker room, but he always says the right things to the press and leads by example on the ice.

Plus, it's not like Koivu can't put up points either.