Playoffs?

Habsfan84

Playoffs  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Habs make the Playoffs

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe if they make a trade

From what you have seen this year do you think that the Habs have a shot at the Playoffs this year? We are already a quater of the way through the season so you have seen how they've been able to play.

Currently they are going through a bad stretch where they are finding it hard to get any wins.

Do they have the players to do it. Maybe they need to make a trade. Give me you thoughts.

Will The Habs Make the Playoffs?

"Playoffs?....you talking about playoffs?.....We're just tryin to win a damn game here"

-Jim Mora

I think the Players are here and they will make the playoffs.

Every team goes through a slump during the course of the year so hopefully this is Montreal's time to get it out of the way. They really need to sort themselves out on D and I find that the most worrying thing right now. If you are incapable of stopping the other team from scoring then there are huge problems.

However, I think for the first month and a half of the season the Habs' showed that they do have the players here to make the playoffs. Another worrying trend is how they don't have the confidence or stomach to hold on to one (or 3) goal leads late in the game. Some people will say it is Carbo's coaching strategy but when it comes down to it the players on the ice have to get the job done. Bottom line.

This is still a young team and a work in progress, but skill wise I think this team belongs in the playoffs. But the improvements must start with the team Defence and ability to shut teams down/kill them off when the opportunity is presented to them.

I think that for this team to make any noise in the playoffs a trade will have to be made, but just to make them I think we basically have the players barring a major injury (knock on wood).

Edited by Habsfan24

they need two types players

-a scoring winger to compliment koivu...if ryder turns on 3rd-4th and 5th gear, he could be the one( although I doubt it)

-an experienced shut down guy with a mean streak: god bless chips,lats and dandy but they're not gritty enough. no one on the fourth line can play quality minutes right now.

they're set on goals and with O'byrne here, I think they're set on D. all they need is a players they could do damage in the playoffs.

however, If they dont bring any help from outside the organisation, they wont be in. yet they will be far from it.

-an experienced shut down guy with a mean streak: god bless chips,lats and dandy but they're not gritty enough. no one on the fourth line can play quality minutes right now.

Bonk? :wall:

I think Chips can grow into this roll but Im not sure if he is ready yet....

Edited by Habsfan24

I think we need more offensive guys.............they can't score if were in their end with the puck.

Seems like we'll go down on a rush, get a shot (if were lucky) and then the puck is up ice in our end where we're running around like we're on the PK. If we had guys who could keep the pressure on in their end, we wouldn't be trapped in our own end for what (at times) seems like an eternity............

The best defence is a good offence.

Edited by kenadian

the Habs' 100th anniversary is coming up, we were supposed to be challenging to mark the occasion, not just scraping out a playoff spot. So far I'm not impressed, youngsters need to step up this season . . .

The race will be tight right down to the wire. 6pts separates 2nd place NJ and 12th place Tampa. You do understand that 3 tampa wins and three Jersey losses potentially puts Jersey out of the race?

So yes they will be a bubble team along with 10, 12 other teams.

The Habs could have a good year and make it with no problem if we can concentrate on one period at a time. One game at a time. one week at a time. 2 wins , 1 loss would probably be o.k but 1 win 2 losses we are screwed which is what we are doing now.

We need to play better at home.

Bonk? :wall:

I think Chips can grow into this roll but Im not sure if he is ready yet....

one guy doesn't make a trio. besides, chipchura isn't mean enough. we need guy a mean person to play along and maybe teach chips and latendresse a thing or two about physical presence.

[Habs] will be a bubble team along with 10, 12 other teams. . .

We need to play better at home.

And we need to play WAY better with a lead, how many leads have the 07/08 Habs blown? Plus there is the 100th anniversary to consider, we want to be in real contention real soon, right?

Getting tired of excuses, time to just do it. . .

I had a chance to watch the Penguins games in the West last week on TV without the bias of them playing the Habs. I think that both teams are similar. Except we don't have Crosby and Malkin. Haha, they are the Penguins. The only reason the Pens are somewhat successful is that they have the firepower to counter their horrible defense.

Habs have the same problem. When Koivu and a goalie play well, Habs win. If either of these players is not on his game, we look like a Pee-wee house league team. The Pens looked the same. Horrible in their own zone, and only performed when Crosby made them look good. I know a lot of you guys really want more offense, and I totally agree, but I really think that our main breakdown is defensive. The problem with being an all offense team with a goalie is that when one of these elements falters, it's a tough battle. When both of these elements falter, it's a blow-out like New Jersey and Carolina.

Therefore, I think that if this team can't find a way to defend in their own zone better, they will not make the Playoffs.

I think the Habs will make the playoffs this year.

If we were to make a trade it would not be frome the Likes of, Boullion, Gorges, Smolinski or Ryder. None of them have any value to a team trying to win a cup. Ryder would be a huge value if only he was playing this year. The trade will include one of our stockpiled goalies. My prediction would be Huet going to a team like Tampa for Lecalvalier. Of course we would have ta dd something else in to get Vinny.

I think the Habs will make the playoffs this year.

If we were to make a trade it would not be frome the Likes of, Boullion, Gorges, Smolinski or Ryder. None of them have any value to a team trying to win a cup. Ryder would be a huge value if only he was playing this year. The trade will include one of our stockpiled goalies. My prediction would be Huet going to a team like Tampa for Lecalvalier. Of course we would have ta dd something else in to get Vinny.

we'd have to add a lot else.. and even then I don't see it.

Richards is prolly the guy they'd prefer to move. Less production and a bigger, longer contract.

I don't know if I particularly want Richards, especially with that contract, but if we are going to get a top calibre player, it will be one with an undesirable contract and/or some "slumping" problems and/or old, e.g. a guy the other team might not want to have. Vinny is making under $7m and is the top producer in the league... why would you want to trade that? Richards is the most likely trade chip of the big three, St. Louis next (because being small and 32 tends not to age too well), Vinny is prolly untouchable.

In other words, if BG trades for a blue chip, it will probably be one that you are less than wild for. Richards for Huet, Plekanec and Ryder + a 2nd rounder might be somewhere in the range of possibility. Replace Ryder with Kostitsyn and you are probably close, although Ryder's status as an impending UFA might actually help make the deal (expiring contract to make the salary cap numbers right for both teams).

In general, the whole 4 for 1 thing is a rarity in capped leagues.

Edited by simonus

I had a chance to watch the Penguins games in the West last week on TV without the bias of them playing the Habs. I think that both teams are similar. Except we don't have Crosby and Malkin. Haha, they are the Penguins. The only reason the Pens are somewhat successful is that they have the firepower to counter their horrible defense.

Habs have the same problem. When Koivu and a goalie play well, Habs win. If either of these players is not on his game, we look like a Pee-wee house league team. The Pens looked the same. Horrible in their own zone, and only performed when Crosby made them look good. I know a lot of you guys really want more offense, and I totally agree, but I really think that our main breakdown is defensive. The problem with being an all offense team with a goalie is that when one of these elements falters, it's a tough battle. When both of these elements falter, it's a blow-out like New Jersey and Carolina.

Therefore, I think that if this team can't find a way to defend in their own zone better, they will not make the Playoffs.

This team will live and die with defense. If this is the real Canadiens they will not make the playoffs. But this team every year sleepwalks for a month and then rips off 8-2 records. They are one hot streak from challenging for 1st in the division.

They were great in October, average in November and horrid in December. Not a good trend. But that is why they play the games.

This team will live and die with defense. If this is the real Canadiens they will not make the playoffs. But this team every year sleepwalks for a month and then rips off 8-2 records. They are one hot streak from challenging for 1st in the division.

They were great in October, average in November and horrid in December. Not a good trend. But that is why they play the games.

I feel like they tried to turn into a firewagon team, realized they couldn't do it and now are having trouble getting back to D.

SO do I. I don't see this team making the payoffs the way it is now. I'm not saying we need to pick up a 50 goal scorer, but we need some kind of offensive spark. these guys are depressed, they don't look like they care!

Will one of sbhatt or habsfan change their avatar? I thought the same poster posted back to back! :lol:

There is something missing right now up front, and I know it won't be solved by moving more d-men up there.

Someone mentioned two different types of players the Habs need. Fact is, we won't get both. But we can easily make the playoffs with just one of those types added to the mix.

I think Chipchura is already good enough to be a shutdown centre, but he needs a competent wingman. It'd be preferrable if this guy was a physical presence, but even a PJ Axelsson/Sergei Brylin type would go a long way. I don't know who is available out there that might meet this role, although I know that Brylin's name has come up in rumors before. Put a guy like that with Chipchura-Kostopolous (or Lapierre even instead of Kostopo) and I think we have a very good line to matchup against top opposition lines.

And we obviously need another offensive winger to play on our top 2 lines... I think we have the personnel to at least get by within our system. Obviously, having that huge star would be great, but unlikely given the scarcity of them league wide.

One of Ryder or Latendresse should be auditioning for a top 6 role in reality.

I still think this should be considered, though:

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Lats/Ryder-Plekanec-Kovalev

Try Ryder on his offwing and if he can't hack it put Latendresse with those two. Try Kostitsyn with Koivu since you've already got one guy doing the simple, north-south work in Higgins. This way you get two creative types and one more "simple" player on each line.

Will one of sbhatt or habsfan change their avatar? I thought the same poster posted back to back! :lol:

There is something missing right now up front, and I know it won't be solved by moving more d-men up there.

Someone mentioned two different types of players the Habs need. Fact is, we won't get both. But we can easily make the playoffs with just one of those types added to the mix.

I think Chipchura is already good enough to be a shutdown centre, but he needs a competent wingman. It'd be preferrable if this guy was a physical presence, but even a PJ Axelsson/Sergei Brylin type would go a long way. I don't know who is available out there that might meet this role, although I know that Brylin's name has come up in rumors before. Put a guy like that with Chipchura-Kostopolous (or Lapierre even instead of Kostopo) and I think we have a very good line to matchup against top opposition lines.

And we obviously need another offensive winger to play on our top 2 lines... I think we have the personnel to at least get by within our system. Obviously, having that huge star would be great, but unlikely given the scarcity of them league wide.

One of Ryder or Latendresse should be auditioning for a top 6 role in reality.

I still think this should be considered, though:

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Lats/Ryder-Plekanec-Kovalev

Try Ryder on his offwing and if he can't hack it put Latendresse with those two. Try Kostitsyn with Koivu since you've already got one guy doing the simple, north-south work in Higgins. This way you get two creative types and one more "simple" player on each line.

Me too! For your lines, not a bad idea. but I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Higgins - Plex - Kosty

Lats - Koivu- Kovy

Just TRY it already!

Me too! For your lines, not a bad idea. but I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Higgins - Plex - Kosty

Lats - Koivu- Kovy

Just TRY it already!

AMEN !!! kostitsynis a left shot that with a great wrister, should be playing on RW.

Higgins - Plex - Kosty

Lats - Koivu- Kovy

Just TRY it already!

Good stuff. Like I said, I'd give Ryder a shot at LW to get in better shooting angles, but move Lats up if it can't work.

I like Kostitsyn better on RW than LW, too.

Good stuff. Like I said, I'd give Ryder a shot at LW to get in better shooting angles, but move Lats up if it can't work.

I like Kostitsyn better on RW than LW, too.

yeah, basically I don't care who the third guy is with Koivu and Kovy (I mean, I'd rather it's not Kostopoulous or anything, but...) just try them together, and I want Higgins Plex Kosty re-united.

I'm fine with trying Ryder with Koivu and Kovy before we try Lats there, but my main thing is to give them a chance together.