Game Thread | Habs vs. Flyers | 12/13/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really glad to see them giving Lil Kosty a shot on the top line. Im not sure whether I like the mix or not, but at least they're going to give him a chance to be an impact player on a real line, unlike with Grabovsky. I only wonder how long it will take Carbo to dump him down to the 4th for Streit or Dandenault if he makes one bad play.

Kosty Jr will play with Koivu and Higgins

Ryder most likley scratched.

That is what TSN is saying... Let's hope he is the missing piece we've been waiting for *crosses fingers* :rolleyes:

from Ice Chips http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

The Canadiens have recalled Sergei Kostitsyn from Hamilton of the AHL. He will play with Higgins and Koivu in Thursday's game against the Flyers. Michael Ryder is a scratch.

Projected Lines

Forwards

Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Latendresse - Chipchura - Dandenault

Streit - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Defence

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon - Gorges

Goaltender

Price

Edited by lazy26

So, if our team sucks so badly that we are going to end up with half the team from the farm anyway, and if people are counting on these kids saving our season, then why did Bob bother signing these useless vets?

In my opinion, the vets are better hockey players then the kids. Period. Huet is better then Price. Ryder is better then many of the kids. Breezy is better then O'byrne... AT LEAST RIGHT NOW. We should be happy that our farm gave us Higgins, Pleks, Lats, and Komi.

The problem is our vets need to step up and play and everyone (us, Carbo, the vets) have to stop thinking there is a rookie on the farm that is going to walk in and fix this team. We don't have a superstar or even potential superstar other then Price (we hope).

At this point, I either want to see the Vets played until they get their act together (including trading for some real vet help), or blow it up, trade all you can, call up the rookies, and start the next 3 year rebuilding plan. Expect to get a few top 3 picks along the way. One way or the other, but we need to do something.

As for tonight.. well, we need a big game from all involved, but it is not going to be easy. Maybe we will get lucky and Philly will be asleep after their slam dunk over the Pens. (ps.. please note that the Pens are not even that good, and they probably have 3 of the best "young guns" in the NHL.

That is what TSN is saying... Let's hope he is the missing piece we've been waiting for *crosses fingers* :rolleyes:

from Ice Chips http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

The Canadiens have recalled Sergei Kostitsyn from Hamilton of the AHL. He will play with Higgins and Koivu in Thursday's game against the Flyers. Michael Ryder is a scratch.

<div align="centre">Projected Lines

Forwards

Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn

A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev

Latendresse - Chipchura - Dandenault

Streit - Lapierre - Kostopoulos

Defence

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon - Gorges

Goaltender

Price</div>

IMO, the missing piece (if there is only one) was probably Briere. I really think we need a true top centre to add to the lineup and then even Ryder might be useful. Even if he is a lost cost.. how would you like these lines...

Higgins - Briere - Ryder

A. Kost - Koivu - Kovalev

S. Kost- Pleks - Dandy

Begin - Chip - Kosto

Play with the wingers all you like, but that lineup already looks so much better. Now if you can trade one of Koivu / Pleks for a big number 2 centre, even better.

Ah well, I can dream can't I. :)

I'm having nightmares about Briere and Mike Richards lighting the lamp numerous times tonight...

I can't see this game ending in a positive outcome....(unless Jan Bulis randomly shows up...says I quit the Canucks...I am your saviour...and pots another 4 like he did several years back)....now with that being said back to reality...

Yep...It's gonna be a long night..... :unsure:

So, if our team sucks so badly that we are going to end up with half the team from the farm anyway, and if people are counting on these kids saving our season, then why did Bob bother signing these useless vets?

In my opinion, the vets are better hockey players then the kids. Period. Huet is better then Price. Ryder is better then many of the kids. Breezy is better then O'byrne... AT LEAST RIGHT NOW. We should be happy that our farm gave us Higgins, Pleks, Lats, and Komi.

The problem is our vets need to step up and play and everyone (us, Carbo, the vets) have to stop thinking there is a rookie on the farm that is going to walk in and fix this team. We don't have a superstar or even potential superstar other then Price (we hope).

At this point, I either want to see the Vets played until they get their act together (including trading for some real vet help), or blow it up, trade all you can, call up the rookies, and start the next 3 year rebuilding plan. Expect to get a few top 3 picks along the way. One way or the other, but we need to do something.

As for tonight.. well, we need a big game from all involved, but it is not going to be easy. Maybe we will get lucky and Philly will be asleep after their slam dunk over the Pens. (ps.. please note that the Pens are not even that good, and they probably have 3 of the best "young guns" in the NHL.

Aye do a lobbying to get John Tavares into next year draft and finish last and do rebuild plan over the next 3 years...

At the moment, trades seems very hard to do...i dont see anyone who TRUELY would want anyone in the CH AND that has the salary cap and idealy i bet Bob wants to deal with a western team. I doubt he would want to trade a potential future goalie to the lightning or atlanta hehe

The margin we had to deal just melted with 2.2 cap hit from price, 1.5 something from Chip and around 650 000 from S Kost.

In my mind if this slump continues....it's gonna be a long ass winter. We truely need a GOOD ethic veteran who has WON in the past and IMPACT player...

Well guess what, all other teams do and want that type of guy and wont give anyone of that nature away unless he has X issues...

Do we really need more problems in Montreal? hehe All trades arent beneficial...

as much as they said we had a lot of rookies depths...well the ones who can help us as we speak arent simply ready yet to assume that role for a full season. We have one of the youngest NHL Team. Look at all the rookies each year...4-5 new faces each time.

But we have no one in our lineup who has actually played a Strong role in winning a cup or doing a lot of playoff games other than Kovalev and for playoff games : Hamrlik. Brisebois has done it LONG LONG LONG ago... If your telling me Dandenault..give me a break the guy was about as involve in the games as Georges is right now....

imagine having someone like Brind'Amour. a Gilmour type player could really help out in my mind.

IF that cant be done...well ya deal what you can for 1-2 year potential players....but for that you've got someone to dance with you in the trades....

Aye do a lobbying to get John Tavares into next year draft and finish last and do rebuild plan over the next 3 years...

At the moment, trades seems very hard to do...i dont see anyone who TRUELY would want anyone in the CH AND that has the salary cap and idealy i bet Bob wants to deal with a western team. I doubt he would want to trade a potential future goalie to the lightning or atlanta hehe

The margin we had to deal just melted with 2.2 cap hit from price, 1.5 something from Chip and around 650 000 from S Kost.

In my mind if this slump continues....it's gonna be a long ass winter. We truely need a GOOD ethic veteran who has WON in the past and IMPACT player...

Well guess what, all other teams do and want that type of guy and wont give anyone of that nature away unless he has X issues...

Do we really need more problems in Montreal? hehe All trades arent beneficial...

as much as they said we had a lot of rookies depths...well the ones who can help us as we speak arent simply ready yet to assume that role for a full season. We have one of the youngest NHL Team. Look at all the rookies each year...4-5 new faces each time.

But we have no one in our lineup who has actually played a Strong role in winning a cup or doing a lot of playoff games other than Kovalev and for playoff games : Hamrlik. Brisebois has done it LONG LONG LONG ago... If your telling me Dandenault..give me a break the guy was about as involve in the games as Georges is right now....

imagine having someone like Brind'Amour. a Gilmour type player could really help out in my mind.

IF that cant be done...well ya deal what you can for 1-2 year potential players....but for that you've got someone to dance with you in the trades....

Brind'Amour.. boy would that be friggin awesome. He is exactly what we need. Can you imagine the locker room if he was on this team. There would be vets hanging from duck tape.. :clap:

If I could add two things, it would be a skill guy like Briere, and a skilled, hard nose, work his butt off type like Brindy..

You are right however that you can't really do squat with trades now. The season really turned when we lost out on Briere and went with Smo.. at that point they should have saved the money and gone with the rookies.

I'm pumped to see Sergei on the first line with Higgins and Koivu. It gives the kid a real opportunity to show us what he can do, and also insulates him since he's playing with two vets.

IMO, the missing piece (if there is only one) was probably Briere. I really think we need a true top centre to add to the lineup and then even Ryder might be useful. Even if he is a lost cost.. how would you like these lines...

Higgins - Briere - Ryder

A. Kost - Koivu - Kovalev

S. Kost- Pleks - Dandy

Begin - Chip - Kosto

Play with the wingers all you like, but that lineup already looks so much better. Now if you can trade one of Koivu / Pleks for a big number 2 centre, even better.

Ah well, I can dream can't I. :)

The problem is we need to reinforce our centre line, in my mind...we need to trade something else for a centre without getting appart from koivu, plek and chip.

I kinda agree with you tough, that lineup would of been great.

The problem is we need to reinforce our centre line, in my mind...we need to trade something else for a centre without getting appart from koivu, plek and chip.

I kinda agree with you tough, that lineup would of been great.

Well, its not that original, it was Gainey's idea after all. Shame he didn't pull it off. Not big down the centre, but man would that lineup fly...

I hope Sergei doesn't go flying around on the ice. The guy is pretty tall but plays like if he's 4 feet tall. He need to use his size to his advantage or he'll end up getting pushed around like in pre season.

"I hope Sergei doesn't go flying around on the ice. The guy is pretty tall but plays like if he's 4 feet tall. He need to use his size to his advantage or he'll end up getting pushed around like in pre season."

Go type in Sergei Kostitsyn on youtube and watch his hit on downie, then watch the multiple compilations of him. The guy hits. Like i have been told, do your research b4 you post :wacko:

Wow...our 'star' players actually looked like star players for once! Even Higgins didn't fumble his chance!

It all starts - and stops - with Koivu. If he can find his confidence and his game, the team will start picking it up. That goal illustrates the point to perfection.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber