Game Thread | Habs vs. Capitals | 05/01/08

Cataclaw

Just a tough day at the rink for Price. Definitely not sharp today. 2 open nets for Lats and he missed them both. Great game by Kovy, Pleks and A. Kost. I like how Carbo went with the 3 top lines for most of the third. At least the Habs secure a point. I did notice that the D kinda backed in too far on a couple of the goals. Should not give up the zone so easily.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's lost some focus in the last few weeks, maybe this will jolt him back.

Personally I dont know what your talking aboot saying Price and focus. So far I dont think Price has had great focus. In several games he should have had a shutout and he has yet to get 1. The majority of the blown shutouts goals have been easy goals he should have stopped.

Price's problem is clear. He's too deep in his net. Live by the sword and he makes a big save because he's big and positioned well, or he does Die by the sword that long range shots isolate his ability to react. Rollie has to work on his angles. The rest of his game is OK.

I think Price needs to work on his 5 hole too. Several goals have gone through his 5 hole that he probably could have stopped if it hadnt been so wide open takinglonger to close so the puck is able to trickle through.

This was a mistake as far as his development goes, IMO. He should have been getting a ton of starts in hamilton, and been called up to get a taste of the NHL for about ten starts this season. I will be shocked/amazed/pissed if BG doesn't extend Huet, because Price sure as heck doesn't look like he'll be ready to take over next season.

I agree 100%. I still dont think it was a smart idea starting Price in the NHL so quickly. It's not like there was a need to push Price. All its really accomplished is that its pissed off Halek and Habs will probably loose Huet at the end of this year basically putting all the eggs on Price.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Were people expecting Price to be a superstar in his first season? He's gotta have a rookie season eventually and he's going to have some bad games in it whether he's 20 or 28. I would start him in our next game as well to give him a chance to redeem himself. Then we use Huet in the game after that no matter what the outcome.

JMMR, there was alot more then 4 players responsible for the OT loss yesterday. To call out just 4 isn't fair. The caps pretty much dominated them in the D zone the second and third period. The D zone still has the same problems, too soft, too small they back up way too much as seen on 3 goals yesterday and they can't transition the puck smoothly.

Also all the Price bashing is redicoulous, he let in a few softies but so does Huet. I do agree he shouldn't be sat for long periods of time, 2 games for Huet one for Price. I also don't think he is rushed, he has nothing to prove on lower levels of hockey, he neeeds to play with the big boys. A bad game here or there is expected. He almost has as many wins as Huet.

So after a tough loss every one jumps on the goalie, the coach every player they don't like. Every one needs to calm down and realize what's going on.

The team is playing better then they have in maybe 10 years. They have offensive threats, they score more goals, defense is better then in years past, although they need to improve much more to be a real contender, the loss of OByrne really hurts, he was solid and tough. ( he is a rookie and makes makes mistakes but you can't teach size). The goaltending is very good even after a bad game here or there.

Inyears past as soon as something bad happened the habs would fold up and call it a day. They were mentally weak and soft. The current team is getting getting better, tougher to play against, although they still have periods of lazy, soft play even that is decreasing. The work ethic is much better, the only fall asleep about 20 minutes a night now.

When was the last time you felt good about the habs being able to make a come back, get points out of games they didn't deserve one. These are the good signs of a team turning the ship around. They are getting better.

Needs to make the playoffs:

better faceoffs

Better defense and transition game

Koivu needs to step up. He has 2 good young wingers

Need more toughness, speed and gritiness

A true shut down line

Trades: I do like the current lines but there can be improvement with trades

Ryder Begin / Dandy for a Cooke and another grinder (Burroughs) This is the type of player the habs need. Greer maybe. They bring size, speed and toughness and PK ability.

How nice would Higgins Lapperre Cooke. Burroughs Chipchura and Kosto be. Cooke can finsh tap in just like Ryder does now. That line currently goes as Higgins goes.

Also I don't think there is much animosity between Guy and Bob, Guy is here because of his friendship with Bob.
I wouldn't call it animosity but first Gainey overrode the decision on who (Halak) stayed in Hamilton and who was in Montreal. Darren Dreger said recently on a broadcast that Gainey pressured Guy to get Ryder back into the lineup. Also Dreger said that Ryder is a good chum and is highly regarded by BOb. My comment on Gainey versus Carbo was reported last night on the NHL network show - On The Fly. Apparently he has been pressuring or asking Carbo to Start Price more.

It seems like there's a difference in philosophy here since it is true they are strong friends.

Habs lost tongiht because of 4 players

The Koivu line and Price simple as that.

So when do we a get a centre that can play with our wingers. Maybe next time Saks gets the flu Lockes gear shows up and that line can finally hit the board. Sorry to get on him again, but he carried the puck so well last night, fought off check after check, lost and regained the puck, then behind the back pass to a Cap? Does he really distrust his wingers that much? They couldn't have both always been covered as he was always double teamed.

As for Price, As soon as Huet returns I would send him down for a month of starts in the AHL. Let him regain his confidence . Give Halak a few games in the big show, hopefully he is stellar again and his trade value goes through the roof. But alas, I am lower than Guy on Bob's list of confidantes.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

So when do we a get a centre that can play with our wingers. Maybe next time Saks gets the flu Lockes gear shows up and that line can finally hit the board. Sorry to get on him again, but he carried the puck so well last night, fought off check after check, lost and regained the puck, then behind the back pass to a Cap? Does he really distrust his wingers that much?

Cement hands Latendresse is just gonna miss the open net if he gets the pass so why would saku bother?

Cement hands Latendresse is just gonna miss the open net if he gets the pass so why would saku bother?

touche

but even ryder can hit an open net, right?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I wouldn't call it animosity but first Gainey overrode the decision on who (Halak) stayed in Hamilton and who was in Montreal. Darren Dreger said recently on a broadcast that Gainey pressured Guy to get Ryder back into the lineup. Also Dreger said that Ryder is a good chum and is highly regarded by BOb. My comment on Gainey versus Carbo was reported last night on the NHL network show - On The Fly. Apparently he has been pressuring or asking Carbo to Start Price more.

It seems like there's a difference in philosophy here since it is true they are strong friends.

I wouldn't call it pressuring, he's probably just giving him advice. Carbo doesn't need to be pressured to use Price, he's been using him a lot this season, even if he wouldn't have given him an NHL spot. Now, that he's in the NHL, Carbo knows that he needs to give him icetime. I bet Gainey was just warning him not to let Price get too cold since Huet had started so many games in a row - and after seeing the result, we now know what can happen if we let Price get too cold.

About "Cement Hands Latendresse," that guy is one of the purest finishers on the team and he proves it by his goal totals. His game still needs work but he's a 20 year-old power forward, he's not going to dominate in his sophomore season. People were saying Tomas "Cement Hands" Plekanec last season, it's really just become a joke.

Personally I dont know what your talking aboot saying Price and focus. So far I dont think Price has had great focus. In several games he should have had a shutout and he has yet to get 1. The majority of the blown shutouts goals have been easy goals he should have stopped.

For one, I don't care about blown shutouts, a win is a win.

And I am saying Price and focus because he has proven to be a huge big game player. You don't waltz into the World Juniors and the AHL playoffs and take the MVP in the same year without having a lot of focus. At the NHL level he's been good, not jaw-droppingly amazing but good. This is the first game we've lost that we can squarely point the blame to him. In numerous other games he's kept us in the game when we didn't deserve to be, or he's done enough to get us a win when we play well. He's also won us some shootouts practically single-handedly (which would require a lot of focus). There have been more games that we can pin the blame for the loss on Huet.

It's getting to the point know where the staggered starts have to end, because it rarely, if ever, works come April. Someone's gotta be given the ball, within the next week or so, and be allowed to run with it. Yesterday's game was Price's worst, but a judgement shouldn't made on a single game either. How he reacts in his next start will be of the utmost importance.

About "Cement Hands Latendresse," that guy is one of the purest finishers on the team and he proves it by his goal totals. His game still needs work but he's a 20 year-old power forward, he's not going to dominate in his sophomore season. People were saying Tomas "Cement Hands" Plekanec last season, it's really just become a joke.

Well said. We seem to forget that Both Latendresse and Price are ONLY 20 YEARS OLD!. Let's see in 2 or 3 years if Latendresse will miss many open nets. Let's see in 2 or 3 years if Carey Price will miss out on a few shutout opportunities.

Give it some time ladies. These two are only kids and will improve dramatically over the next few years!

It's true that Price gave up a few weak goals, but what pisses me off even more is the fact that our d-men continually give up the blue line way too fast. on at least 3 or 4 occasions during the game our d-men kept on backing up. When an NHL caliber shooter gets to take a very good shot from the hash marks, it'll usually go in. I blame our d-men for those goals, more than I blame the Kid!

Edited by Habsfan

It's true that Price gave up a few weak goals, but what pisses me off even more is the fact that our d-men continually give up the blue line way too fast. on at least 3 or 4 occasions during the game our d-men kept on backing up. When an NHL caliber shooter gets to take a very good shot from the hash marks, it'll usually go in. I blame our d-men for those goals, more than I blame the Kid!

I agree. That drives me nuts. Our defense is scary looking. Half the time it's like the other team is on the power play. I wish they wouldn't let them in so easily. At least Obyrne and Komi would paste guys into the boards, so they know they have to go to the middle, but then the D just gives them the middle.

Blaming Lats and Price is just silly. I was annoyed with Latendresse earlier in the season but not now. Annoyed is one thing. Blaming these guys for the loss is another.

Price needs to do some drills on cutting down the angles and challenging the shooter and depending on the situation; not always being so deep in his net. In my opinion, those of you who are blaming Price and especially for this particular game should ask Roland Melanson why they are not working on him coming out and challenging. Cut down the angles. Part of this is that he doesn't know shooters tendencies so it's comfy to stay deep but if they don't start working on that now, when do they?

If he had been at the top of the crease or higher on the 4th goal, he might have got a piece of it.

Both Latendresse and Price are ready next year or the year after. Anything else is gravy. :clap: