Game Thread | Habs vs. Islanders | 15/01/08

Cataclaw

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're dead wrong, as many people have said, the defenceman moved over to cover Plek, so if Kovy tried to drop pass to him, he would have had his pass intercepted, instead Kovy made a slick move to the open net. If Plek had moved to the left to create a 2 on 1 type situation instead of behind Kovy, I bet he would have had a hat trick right now. Although I don't think he cares, the win means more than stats to most of these players.

You're dead wrong, as many people have said, the defenceman moved over to cover Plek, so if Kovy tried to drop pass to him, he would have had his pass intercepted, instead Kovy made a slick move to the open net. If Plek had moved to the left to create a 2 on 1 type situation instead of behind Kovy, I bet he would have had a hat trick right now. Although I don't think he cares, the win means more than stats to most of these players.

Kovy looked for him and realized it was risky. If you want to call him selfish it would have to be in regards to AK46 who had an open net with nobody within 10 feet of him.

But Kovy took no chances and buried it. Good play, the right play and the Habs buried the win.

Kovalev is my favourite player and i'm not bashing him ... but man he demonstrated some high level selfishness on that empty netter :unsure:

I'm I wrong ? Any thoughts..

yup. you are completely wrong. There was no passing play there.

I can't beleive people are actually complaining about an open net goal that sealed a win for the Habs. Get a grip.

Defensively that was the best i've seen in years. Although the ice was bad. Only a 10 minute collapse in the second again. There effoerts are becoming more consistent.

I heard a stat last night that the habs haven't lost back to back games in regulation, that is showing a more consistent effort and caring. That hasn't been the case in years.

Offensively they looked ok, they need to shoot more, they had 2 or 3 2 on 1's and didn't even get a shot. They need to be more selfish fom time to time.

Small nit picking, Huet just needs to stay in the net. The 3rd line may be the slowest line i have seen in a while. I have no idea why Smoke Lats and Ryder are together.

Everyone needs to calm down on Price a bit, he is 2 and 2 since his return to Hamilton, he got lit up a few times, even Broduer gives up 5 and 6 from time to time. Halak was really bad when he first went down before he turned it around. Other posters have also commented that team is pretty poor defensively. He will bounce back and be fine.

As far as the goal, it was a bad play by Huet. He was a circus back there all night. He gets absolutley zero power on his shots.... He did more than enough to make up for it throughout the night. But comparing Price and Huet in that department is apples and oranges.

Price can backhand it harder than Huets forehand.

BTW. Price got rocked again. 7-2 loss.

I agree with your assessment about huet's game last night. he made a mistake, but he did more than enough to make up for it...especially in the second period.

I have to say, I am getting worried about Price's last performances... he gave up 5 goals on 13 shots a couple of nights ago, and 6 more last night. I just hope the kid is strong mentally to get out of this funk soon enough! We will need him come february and march. We all know that Huet has a hard time playing more than 4 or 5 games in a row. Let's just hope that Halak can hold up the fort until Price finds his game.

BY the way, i'm really starting to question Rolland Melançon's talents as a goalie coach. Maybe the habs should make an offer to François Allaire (King Patrick's Goalie coach when he was with the Habs)???

Edited by Habsfan

BY the way, i'm really starting to question Rolland Melançon's talents as a goalie coach. Maybe the habs should make an offer to François Allaire (King Patrick's Goalie coach when he was with the Habs)???

Lets wait for the expert to make a comment on that!! :lol:

Belgium, anybody home??

I can't beleive people are actually complaining about an open net goal that sealed a win for the Habs. Get a grip.

Defensively that was the best i've seen in years. Although the ice was bad. Only a 10 minute collapse in the second again. There effoerts are becoming more consistent.

I heard a stat last night that the habs haven't lost back to back games in regulation, that is showing a more consistent effort and caring. That hasn't been the case in years.

Offensively they looked ok, they need to shoot more, they had 2 or 3 2 on 1's and didn't even get a shot. They need to be more selfish fom time to time.

Small nit picking, Huet just needs to stay in the net. The 3rd line may be the slowest line i have seen in a while. I have no idea why Smoke Lats and Ryder are together.

Everyone needs to calm down on Price a bit, he is 2 and 2 since his return to Hamilton, he got lit up a few times, even Broduer gives up 5 and 6 from time to time. Halak was really bad when he first went down before he turned it around. Other posters have also commented that team is pretty poor defensively. He will bounce back and be fine.

I was in Hamilton on Saturday for the Amerks game and he gave up 5 goals but the only one that was really concerning was the first one from a bad angle that squeaked by on the short side while he was hugging the post. One goal was on a guy getting a breakaway leaving the box, another was Baines trying to go through 2 defenders right in front of Price and turning it over causing a 2 on 0. Another 2 were cross ice feeds for empty tap ins. THe Dogs are BRUTAL in their own zone. We are talking about a team that could have Lapierre, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, O'Byrne helping them out. With all the callups, it is not really a surprise.

That being said, Halak was playing well behind the same D 2 weeks ago. I was a little disappointed to see a 7-2 result last night, but who knows if it was a carbon copy of Saturday. This kid has not hit a rough patch in the last year. Let's see how he reacts to it.

I thought that if the continued to play well through January that I would be able to drop my fears of a collapse, but like a red headed stepchild I continue to wait for the other shoe to drop. This is the best they have played in a long time though.

Yep, i hear you Wamsley, the habs will be a playoff team when they lock up the spot in the playoffs. Then i will have to check it a second time just to be sure. I've been fooled too many times before.

Playoffs or not this year, they have turned the ship around and are playing generally pretty solid hockey on both ends of the rink.

Young teams can still be inconsistent but GC seems to have them playing harder then ever so time will tell on this year.

I expect them to be even younger next year.

I think Price will be fine, he is solid. He really only had 2 poor starts at the NHL level. Dallas was all on the team.

Young teams can still be inconsistent but GC seems to have them playing harder then ever so time will tell on this year.

Another thing that Carbo did well this week end was to allow the boys a night out on the town in NYC(saturday night) even though they had played a horrible game against the Rangers.

No curfew.

I think the boys told each other that they owed one to the coach for lettin' them have some fun in the Big Apple.

Yep, i hear you Wamsley, the habs will be a playoff team when they lock up the spot in the playoffs. Then i will have to check it a second time just to be sure. I've been fooled too many times before.

Playoffs or not this year, they have turned the ship around and are playing generally pretty solid hockey on both ends of the rink.

I expect them to be even younger next year.

I think Price will be fine, he is solid. He really only had 2 poor starts at the NHL level. Dallas was all on the team.

I have to say that the players I hoped would mature are. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Plekanec, Komisarek. As these guys continue to improve so will this team.

Then you have Latendresse, S. Kostitsyn and Price. The way this team drafts, the future is bright. But a nice little playoff run would be just the thing to tide me

over until then :)

Until then, I remain cautiously optimistic

Another thing that Carbo did well this week end was to allow the boys a night out on the town in NYC(saturday night) even though they had played a horrible game against the Rangers.

No curfew.

I think the boys told each other that they owed one to the coach for lettin' them have some fun in the Big Apple.

Now that must have been a shit show! All the youngins on the team.

Eh, you can keep dreaming but I'll be happy with a sixth seed. We won't catch the Sens, they're the 2nd best team in the league and we're about 10-14. I root for Ottawa to win every night because I'd rather them get the points, as a shoe in for the playoffs and the division title, than some other team that's competing for our spot.

Heatley is out. Spezza is hurting. Their goaltending is shaky. They are a powerful team but lately seem to be going through a funk on a regular basis. The Habs on the other hand are the complete opposite. With every game they seem to be getting a little stronger. Our numbers are not that much different then the SENS. If they stay in their little slump for another week or so and we put a few wins together I wouldn't call it a dream to catch them. We also play them twice in Feb. and twice in March.

Geez if we could pull that off we would have home ice advantage through the play-offs. Yikes, that actually might not be a good thing.

Anyways ............I'm going to keep dreaming. I don't think Ottawa is as good as everyone else does, I think we can take them.

Anyways ............I'm going to keep dreaming. I don't think Ottawa is as good as everyone else does, I think we can take them.

I think Ottawa is as good as everyone else does but I still think the Habs could take them in a 7 game series.

It would be super though but each time the Habs and Sens have played this season it has been close.

I think Ottawa is as good as everyone else does but I still think the Habs could take them in a 7 game series.

It would be super though but each time the Habs and Sens have played this season it has been close.

I think the only teams they will struggle with is Jersey and Ottawa.

To beat Ottawa they will have to get shakey goaltending (not a stretch) and the Habs would have to have Huet or Price steal a couple of games.

Jersey, now that would be a miracle!

No kidding! :rolleyes: For some reason we simply can't win against the Devils. I don'T know what it is(it can't be just Brodeur) but the Devils seem to have our number. I hate them...almost as much as the Leaves and the Pooh Bears!

I think the only teams they will struggle with is Jersey and Ottawa.

To beat Ottawa they will have to get shakey goaltending (not a stretch) and the Habs would have to have Huet or Price steal a couple of games.

There's also Carolina, who'd be a pretty tough team for us to beat. We know we're capable of it though, we proved it last time.

Heatley is out. Spezza is hurting. Their goaltending is shaky. They are a powerful team but lately seem to be going through a funk on a regular basis. The Habs on the other hand are the complete opposite. With every game they seem to be getting a little stronger. Our numbers are not that much different then the SENS. If they stay in their little slump for another week or so and we put a few wins together I wouldn't call it a dream to catch them. We also play them twice in Feb. and twice in March.

It's funny how this comment is often posted after a win.

I agree we're improving, but we're definitely not at their level yet. They have played well through key injuries before, so I expect them to keep up the pace without Heatley. Last year around this time we were solidly in a playoff spot and people were talking about catching first place (Buffalo at that time). It's just not realistic for this team, we're going to be fighting for a playoff spot the whole way through, and I'd be VERY happy with a 6th seed because we'd probably be facing the worst team ahead of us.

This is not to say we couldn't beat them in a 7 game series, this is hockey and anything can happen and if we had clutch goaltending and consistent effort we could pull it out.

It's funny how this comment is often posted after a win.

I agree we're improving, but we're definitely not at their level yet. They have played well through key injuries before, so I expect them to keep up the pace without Heatley. Last year around this time we were solidly in a playoff spot and people were talking about catching first place (Buffalo at that time). It's just not realistic for this team, we're going to be fighting for a playoff spot the whole way through, and I'd be VERY happy with a 6th seed because we'd probably be facing the worst team ahead of us.

This is not to say we couldn't beat them in a 7 game series, this is hockey and anything can happen and if we had clutch goaltending and consistent effort we could pull it out.

This team is better than last years team. The youth, the D, the offense, the PP, the 5 on 5, the number 1 line is not -60.

I don't expect a collapse out of the playoffs, but I also don't think we will catch Ottawa either.

No kidding! :rolleyes: For some reason we simply can't win against the Devils. I don'T know what it is(it can't be just Brodeur) but the Devils seem to have our number. I hate them...almost as much as the Leaves and the Pooh Bears!

Because anytime the Habs try to out trap a trap they lose. It is not a coincidence that they can't beat Florida either.

They play Jersey's game (well really Montreal's game that Jersey stole) and they are better at it than the Habs are.

You'll see.

I'll see what?

If they finish at 90 points it will still be a better team. Their youth is maturing, and they are replacing 2-3M players with 800K players.

I am not looking for point totals, I am looking for growth. Growth in Plekanec, Lapierre, Latendresse, A. Kostitsyn, Komisarek, Higgins. They have all improved.

I am looking at the kids who are on the cusp of making some impact in S. Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Price, O'Byrne and Halak.

I am looking at the vets who have stepped up in Kovalev and Hamrlik.

I am looking at the possible reinforcements in a couple of years like Valentenko, McDonagh, Paccioretty, Subban and Emelin.

I am looking at the Habs jettisoning players for youth like Smolinski, Brisebois and Ryder.

I am glad there is No David Aebischer!!

I know what I am seeing. I want this program fast tracked, I want this team to win. But I entered this season with no idea what I was about to see.

I would have been satisfied with moving forward, and so far the program is moving forward.

This team is going to improve from within for the majority of it's success, hopefully Gainey can acquire an impact forward that will change this team from a good one to a great one.

They have all the pieces in place to make that leap in the near future.

So I do see this as a better team.

Edited by Wamsley01