Do we really need our 2008 first pick ?

JoeLassister

That is the question. We're on the way to finish somewhat high in the league (hoping it will remain as it is now).

Wouldn't it be better to trade our 1rst pick along with, let's say Ryder and O'Byrne/Streit/Fisher/Halak/etc. to try to get a kind of Superstat à la Marian Hossa ?

We have a great bunch of prospects at pretty much every positions but Forward and picking 20th is not the best way to get some real great offensive prospects.

Discuss...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JFJ? Is that you?

From what I've heard, 2008 should be loaded with great propects. I wouldn't discount the idea of trading our 1st completely, but it'd have to be for something more than a Rent-a-player, which is all our 1st and a player/prospect would likely attract.

JFJ? Is that you?

From what I've heard, 2008 should be loaded with great propects. I wouldn't discount the idea of trading our 1st completely, but it'd have to be for something more than a Rent-a-player, which is all our 1st and a player/prospect would likely attract.

lol not talking about giving our 1rst for Dough Weight there...

Off course it would have to be for more than a Rent-a-player solution, we're not REALLY THAT MUCH in the race for the Cup...

But, for example, if Atlanta signs Hossa for a 3-4 years deal, would you give them our 1rst along with Halak/O'Byrne/Ryder,etc...

or the future passes only by the draft ?

For my part, i think drafting 20th is somewhat useless to bring a Cup in the next 3-4 years, while adding Hossa or a Superstar could do the job with our already-in-the-system- prospects.

edit : I know much of the top 14-15 (N-A and Europe together), but for the rest... I don't know... http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=5104&hubname

I suggested that in a thread already. I also mentioned this years top pick. The point is we will place too high in the standings both years to get even a top 10 pick. Now if we get the other teams secon pick the season we trade, we have too 2nds instead of a late 1st. Not bad. I don't see there being anyone available late 1st that I would value over our top prospects. Therefore I would rather give the pick with Ryder than say Chips or Halak.

Trading the Habs 2008 1st rounder presents an interesting dilemma. I would not like to include it in any package for only a rental-type player. However, if it was for someone like Hossa who would want to sign for an additional 3-4 years, then i think BG should seriously consider it. I have no problem shipping out the likes of Ryder, O'byrne, and some other marginal players, but in order to make the big splash, usually something of significance must be sent the other way.

The only way I see us moving our pick (if it's 20th) is if we get a better 1st rounder via trade and use the earlier pick to select from the top 8. Plus, I suspect that BOb has built this team (after Savard's work) from the goal out. We have Price, Halak, McDonogh, Fisher, Weber, Emelin, Gorges, Subban, Valentenko etc. Then we have strong forward positions but lack that game breaker. With the D prospect corps solidified for now, I suspect BOb may acquire the "Kopitar"or the "Cherepanov" that some of us wanted him to get in prior drafts. I also suspect he may try to nab a "Norris potential" type of D IF that player is available. BOb might wait one more draft to get that player.

When you add this all up it doesn't seem likely a 1st will be moved. Maybe he can do something with a 3rd going out (with a player or prospect) and reacquire a 3rd or a 4th before or during the draft.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

So Koivu to Anahiem for Oilers 1st. Ryder, our 1st and 3rd plus a prospect to Atlanta for Hossa?

yeessss, but..... what's the point to add Hossa if he's gonna play with Smolinski ???

lines have to be

Higgins - Koivu - Hossa

A. Kost - Plex - Kovy

Tender - Lapierre - S. Kost

Bégin - Smolinski - Kosto

that makes no sense to get a star winger to play along with a 3rd line centre.

BG will have a 1st rounder at this draft and at every draft in the foreseeable future. A team that builds through the draft doesn't just change philosophy when things are starting to go well. We may not see anything special in the draft after the top 20 picks, but let us not forget Mr Timmins who has proven he can draft very well, and to not give him an opportunity to do so at least once a year is a big mistake.

And Bob knows it.

That would mean you would never ice a top team but always a darn good one. What's the point? If you never draft top 5 you will never have the game breaking star unless you get lucky late with someone who over develops. Once you have built a solid team, you at times must make a trade to take it over the edge. If you are already strong in prospects, as we currently are, have your other picks in place and use them wisely, it doesn't hurt to miss a late 1st rounder for a year.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

That kind of decision will be taken with Timmins. Bob will ask Timmins if he sees any sure-fire NHLer around our pick position; and weigh that compared to the player he'd be getting in return.

Mind you, a late pick isn't necessarily a bad one. We've got Latendresse with a 45th overall pick and Plekanec with a 71st overall pick. Chipchura slid all the way down to 18th but was almost top 10 on most pro lists.

And last year we managed to pluck Pacioretty with SJ's 1st rounder, which was late at 22nd overall.

If Timmins tells Bob he's got a bunch of very interesting kids possibly available late in the 1st round (another Pacioretty-like speedy PF who could play in the NHL for 10 years, for exemple), then Bob might be more reluctant to trade such a pick for a rent-a-player.

just to set the record: HOSSA SUCKS ASS IN THE PLAYOFFS !!!

why would we trade our whole farm for an underacheiver that may end up some where else in july ??

I see one big problem in 08: it's loaded with Dmen. we dont need more dmen(unless doughty)

theres isnt many great big centermen(for what I know) in this draft.

I wouldnt mind that ,uch if bob traded his 1st rounder for a real deal centerman prospect.

another thing he could do his if he feels that there isnt a player he really loves this year, he could deal his 1st rounder to a team for their next year's and hope that the team implodes like the flyers did last year, thus making us eliginble to get tavares !!

A list of UFA's that might be available at the deadline:

Brian Campbell, D, Buffalo Sabres

Mike Comrie, C, New York Islanders

Adam Foote, D, Columbus Blue Jackets

Marian Hossa, RW, Atlanta Thrashers

Kristian Huselius, LW, Calgary Flames

John-Michael Liles, D, Colorado Avalanche

Daymond Langkow, C, Calgary Flames

Markus Naslund, LW/RW, Vancouver Canucks

Vaclav Prospal, LW, Tampa Bay Lightnin

Wade Redden, D, Ottawa Senators

Cory Stillman, LW, Carolina Hurricanes

Craig Conroy, C, Calgary Flames

Sergei Fedorov, C, Columbus Blue Jackets

Bobby Holik, C, Atlanta Thrashers

Martin Gelinas, LW, Nashville Predators

Edited by KoZed

I think that Gélinas would be a great commodity on the 3rd line.

put sergei with koivu and higgins and let them get their grove right on time for the playoffs.

gelinas on the 3rd with lapierre and either kostopoulos or latendresse

as for the 4rt line..who cares they would'nt be playing much anyways.

gelinas would probably only cost us a lowkey prospect and a 3rd-4th rounder.

another name I like is marty reasoner. I like the guys that went that close and didn't get it. they're the ones that would give anything they had for a sip in the cup.

Stillman would add some scoring punch. I could see the Canes dealing him if they continue their downward spiral. It'd have to be a decent pick and/or prospect going back though.

Stillman would add some scoring punch. I could see the Canes dealing him if they continue their downward spiral. It'd have to be a decent pick and/or prospect going back though.

good call !!

with his playoff experience, Stillman would be able to calm people when things would get tough

That would mean you would never ice a top team but always a darn good one. What's the point? If you never draft top 5 you will never have the game breaking star unless you get lucky late with someone who over develops. Once you have built a solid team, you at times must make a trade to take it over the edge. If you are already strong in prospects, as we currently are, have your other picks in place and use them wisely, it doesn't hurt to miss a late 1st rounder for a year.

Detroit seems to be doing a fine job of drafting with late picks.

San Jose dealt two first rounders last year at the deadline (one to us, via New Jersey), and still managed a way to get a first round pick in the 2007 draft.

Just because we deal a pick doesn't mean we won't have one come June.

The fact that we had two picks last year might be an indication that we can do without one this year... you never know.

To answer the original question, my rsponse would have to be: NO WAY. At least not in 2008 or 2009. the 08' and 09' drafts are supposed to be some of the best drafts of the decade. I'd try to get as many 1st and 2nd round picks as possible. You can never have too many good young prospects.

If we finish way up there in the standings - a distinct possibility - then I wouldn't necessarily object, provided the move got us back a real threat (and preferably that C we've been craving) AND we have a realistic chance of signing him to a deal. However the idea makes me a bit nervous, because it just feels too soon to me to deviate from the build-from-within philosophy that has produced an unbelievably balanced attack, a really cohesive team of young guys all imprinted with the CH on their hearts, and tons of depth, all on an affordable budget. I'm quite happy to continue along the present track and watch this team keep getting better. I'd rather we spend a season or two as a bona-fide elite team, getting experience in the postseason and all that, before pulling the trigger on a big deal to win us a Cup. But I may just be cautious by nature ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber