Game Thread | Habs vs. Rangers | 03/02/08

Cataclaw

Ah well, here's to hoping that Kovy doesn't get suspended for his elbow.

We're in deep shit if he does get suspended...he along with Plex and Markov are the guys we simply cannot afford to be without.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in deep shit if he does get suspended...he along with Plex and Markov are the guys we simply cannot afford to be without.

Well, the sens are without some of their stars, and the leafs managed to beat them.

If we lose Kovy, that is no excuse. Perhaps Koivu and Higgins will step up and shine (or Begin :) )

Well, the Canadiens just fell apart after that powerplay - I wouldn't blame the collapse on Koivu, but rather the the entire team. Koivu could certainly be blamed for the lazy penalty the one powerplay goal, but it's not like he caused the team to play so poorly. The team simply has to learn to regroup and not be so flustered after a single goal...

I think the biggest thing is that the Habs fell into the Ranger's gameplan and did exactly what they wanted them to do. They let their emotions run high and as a result things fell apart. No single player played bad, but plays started to fall apart and the team became disorganized. The Rangers got into the heads of the Habs and we paid the price.

On another note, I was very impressed with Gorges today.

Edited by ForumGhost

Was at the game tonight - great start, rough finish.

Still, I figure you can't win 'em all, the team is still in a great position, and needs to look forward to a huge match against the Sens on Tuesday.

The "TSN TURNING POINT" for me was the Koviu penalty which lead to the goal.

We had 9 sec left to kill it off and they score; then they score again 24 sec later..... I think those 2 goals scored so quickly under 30 sec killed us, and the energy in the building...

We had 9 sec left to kill it off and they score; then they score again 24 sec later..... I think those 2 goals scored so quickly under 30 sec killed us, and the energy in the building...

:clap:

That's exactly what I thought as well. The team never recovered from that.

I thought it was Dubinsky's goal myself.

A PP goal can be excused (bad call on Koivu btw) but to give one up so easily right away was deflating

Anyone know if the Kovalev elbow will be reviewed?

Tsn reports O'byrne got his cast off. Can't wait to get that Steam roller back. He was playing well despite his inexperience and will be valuable down the last stretch.

Yeah, glad to hear it about O'byrne. He was really playing well at the time, but I'm not sure how long it will take him to readjust and get back into the rhythm of playing in the NHL. He may be done for this season with the Habs.

And about the Kovalev hit, I never even say a replay that conclusively showed an elbow, not that there isn't one. But I guess it's safe to assume it must have been his elbow judging by Hollweg's reaction.

Well that was a disappointing loss. It was the 4th game in 6 days. So one would expect them wearing out as the game went on.

This team needs a tough guy to play in certain games, it's getting old watching players getting abused. Gorges is always ready to step in but he's really not a tough guy.

I agree about koivu taking another weak penalty to change the momentum, he needs to smarten up.

This will be a big week, 2 out of 3 wins is very acceptable, they need to keep going and learn from there mistakes.

No offense to Huet but he shouldn't play back to back, he didn't even move for 3 goals. Gc needs to rest him here or there. Maybe Price gets the Toronto game.

Well that was a disappointing loss. It was the 4th game in 6 days. So one would expect them wearing out as the game went on.

This team needs a tough guy to play in certain games, it's getting old watching players getting abused. Gorges is always ready to step in but he's really not a tough guy.

I agree about koivu taking another weak penalty to change the momentum, he needs to smarten up.

This will be a big week, 2 out of 3 wins is very acceptable, they need to keep going and learn from there mistakes.

No offense to Huet but he shouldn't play back to back, he didn't even move for 3 goals. Gc needs to rest him here or there. Maybe Price gets the Toronto game.

Maybe ?

Are you kidding me you can bet your life on it.

If Huet starts Thursday the habs will lose it is relaly that simple.

Well, slept on that loss and figured it would help me see clearer rather than react last evening full of emotion. No change! Problem with all of us is that we keep on making the same BS excuses - "only 1 game"; "boys were tired", "blah! blah!" It keeps happening against the teams we are supposed to beat, that's the "only 1 game" problem.

Forget the Koivu call, the Kovalev gift for the 2nd goal was even worse and doesn't seem like anyone is pissed at him!? This is a veteran who made a bone-head play. In fact, Kovalev's whole game changed after the "incident". He didn't carry the puck as much anymore (yeah, watch the pre and post incident, you'll see I'm right).

The real problem that we keeping burying our heads in the sand about, is that we still cannot beat the teams we need to beat to get to that next level. Yesterday was embarassing, a MUST win for a show-down with the Sens, and we P'd our pants. Did you hear CBC? All of a sudden the Habs are a bona fide play-off team, great speed, yak, yak. Unfortunately, they don't see every game like most of us do. Come on! Up 3-0 and you blow it? That's what good teams do? BS! We just aren't good enough to play tough, physically or especially mentally, and yesterday I'm afraid, was both. Yeah, yeah, we can beat 85% of the teams in this league, so what? What do think is going to happen in the playoffs? Other teams are going to elevate their games, that's what! Until, we show we have the spherical fortitude to go against the NYR's, Ottawas, Detroits, etc., that POP you hear will be in Round 1 or 2 of the playoffs. Let's stop behaving like all those pathetic Mother's who can't see past their love for their children and think they have no faults. Tough love, GD it! These Habs are good, someone needs to get them to believe it too, so they have more of an attitude out there! Carbo? Carbo? That's you're job isn't it?

GO HABS GO!!!

Why is every loss a disaster and sign of impeding doom? Why is every loss proof we are not a playoff team?

Every cup winner in history has lost. Every cup winner in history had some horrible games!

Let it go.... :)

Rangers & Giants win. It's a great day for New York. :P

Fv.ck the Rangers, the Giants, the Mets, the Jets, the Islanders and ESPECIALLY the Devils and the Yankees!

Why is every loss a disaster and sign of impeding doom? Why is every loss proof we are not a playoff team?

Every cup winner in history has lost. Every cup winner in history had some horrible games!

Let it go.... :)

I agree. I think RJP is panicking a little too much. True that the boys choked yesterday. It was horrible watching them lose, especially after they had a 3 goal lead, but shit happens! It was their 4th game in 6 days, 2nd game in 2 days.

Nobody in particular was to blame for yesterdays loss. It was a collective "shut-down" from all the players. After the Rangers scored those 2 quick goals, the Habs stopped skating, stopped fore-checking, stopped hitting, the passing was way off etc.etc.etc. If anything could go wrong, it did.

After this week we will really know how tough the boys are. If they can come out of this week with 5 point out of a possible 6, i'd say they recoverd pretty well, and we will have been right not to panic after yesterday's loss. Let's not forget, the Habs have lost back to back games in REGULATION only ONCE this season. If you ask me, that says alot about this teams' character! :clap:

Well, slept on that loss and figured it would help me see clearer rather than react last evening full of emotion. No change! Problem with all of us is that we keep on making the same BS excuses - "only 1 game"; "boys were tired", "blah! blah!" It keeps happening against the teams we are supposed to beat, that's the "only 1 game" problem.

Forget the Koivu call, the Kovalev gift for the 2nd goal was even worse and doesn't seem like anyone is pissed at him!? This is a veteran who made a bone-head play. In fact, Kovalev's whole game changed after the "incident". He didn't carry the puck as much anymore (yeah, watch the pre and post incident, you'll see I'm right).

The real problem that we keeping burying our heads in the sand about, is that we still cannot beat the teams we need to beat to get to that next level. Yesterday was embarassing, a MUST win for a show-down with the Sens, and we P'd our pants. Did you hear CBC? All of a sudden the Habs are a bona fide play-off team, great speed, yak, yak. Unfortunately, they don't see every game like most of us do. Come on! Up 3-0 and you blow it? That's what good teams do? BS! We just aren't good enough to play tough, physically or especially mentally, and yesterday I'm afraid, was both. Yeah, yeah, we can beat 85% of the teams in this league, so what? What do think is going to happen in the playoffs? Other teams are going to elevate their games, that's what! Until, we show we have the spherical fortitude to go against the NYR's, Ottawas, Detroits, etc., that POP you hear will be in Round 1 or 2 of the playoffs. Let's stop behaving like all those pathetic Mother's who can't see past their love for their children and think they have no faults. Tough love, GD it! These Habs are good, someone needs to get them to believe it too, so they have more of an attitude out there! Carbo? Carbo? That's you're job isn't it?

GO HABS GO!!!

:rolleyes: Wow, maybe you should sleep on it another few nights. This is what, our fourth or fifth loss in 2008? We've been playing very well of late, but of course you jump on a single loss as the big indicator. We HAVE been beating the teams that we should beat, go back and review the schedule. It's funny how you say 'it keeps happening', do you say that after all of our wins as well?

And by the way, this team didn't make the playoffs last year in case you forgot. So that's the main goal this year. You hypocritically say that we are 'not good enough to play tough, physically or mentally' and yet you seem to have lofty expectations of first place and the conference finals. Do you call out Carbo after all the wins as well? Seriously, get a grip.

I agree. I think RJP is panicking a little too much. True that the boys choked yesterday. It was horrible watching them lose, especially after they had a 3 goal lead, but shit happens! It was their 4th game in 6 days, 2nd game in 2 days.

Nobody in particular was to blame for yesterdays loss. It was a collective "shut-down" from all the players. After the Rangers scored those 2 quick goals, the Habs stopped skating, stopped fore-checking, stopped hitting, the passing was way off etc.etc.etc. If anything could go wrong, it did.

After this week we will really know how tough the boys are. If they can come out of this week with 5 point out of a possible 6, i'd say they recoverd pretty well, and we will have been right not to panic after yesterday's loss. Let's not forget, the Habs have lost back to back games in REGULATION only ONCE this season. If you ask me, that says alot about this teams' character! :clap:

I agree that this week is a big test, but we've been saying the little line 'this is where we find out what we're really made of' for a while now. Every game is a test, and so far I've been pleased overall with how the Habs have responded. Winning this week would be awesome, but losing wouldn't be the end of the world.

And I agree that the team overall is to blame for the loss, and the level of our play did drop significantly from the second period on, but it still wasn't all that bad. We were beaten, but it wasn't domination or a complete spanking. We had chances to get back in it, but Lundqvist was there when he was needed, Huet not so much (although he was decent).

The biggest factor in the "team loss" was the fact that it was the 3rd game in 4 days and 2nd of a back to back. Any team is gonna be running on fumes by the end of that last one especially since it's an afternoon game it disrupts their usual gameday routine.

I agree. This Koivu bashing is out of control. More like Leaf Nation stuff. Markov was the best player on the ice!

Didn' watch the same game(season).

Koivu deserves every whine that we hear for every puck lost at the blue line

for every hooking penalty, for centering one of the worst PP line in the league.

It's asking a guy to meet expectations, make his linemate

produce and being responsable of his hockey stick. Stick on the ice is not that much

to expect.

I'll be the first one to cheer when he will play like he can, win face-offs ,survive 5-5

not taking bad penalties and make his PP unit score one from time to time.

Thats all we ask, it's not much for

Telling people to shut up about Koivu poor play is not helping either.

Get back on earth, Koivu, Higgins, Ryder, Smolinski all deserve a bick kick in the*ss...

Looks like Holliweg is getting suspended for 1 game for his hit on Sergei, as per TSN. Still no word on Kovy's elbow.

Campbell said that Kovy would not be suspended for his hit on Hollweg.