Confirmed: Halak starts

carey31price

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is hoping the kid can lead a nice little winning streak that solidifies a playoff birth. I think they

should ride the hot hand until the season is over

Here is hoping the kid can lead a nice little winning streak that solidifies a playoff birth. I think they

should ride the hot hand until the season is over

...and into the playoffs, of course! :D

We'll be facing a determined and frustrated Philly squad, losers of 5 straight. Let's hope the kid is ready!

He had a good game but it was just the Panthers with the Rochester team.

Against Flyers he will need more support from defense,i hope the extra day gave

Hammer the healing time he needed because we cannot give that many scoring chances

to the opponent.

Just that the team is not playing very good defense lately.

I am waiting more on the Hammer news if he is ready or not, that would help a lot.

...and into the playoffs, of course! :D

We'll be facing a determined and frustrated Philly squad, losers of 5 straight. Let's hope the kid is ready!

I just picked up the latest Goalie World and they are all over Price's jock.

http://www.goaliesworld.com/maingw.html

They break down his style and show examples of his almost flawless technique, his powerful lower body

that allows him to explode from side to side and his puck handling ability.

They pointed out that his puck tracking needs improvement and that with time his decision making with his

puck moving will improve. He also needs to make some small adjustments but they were in awe with the

poise and technique he possesses at 20.

They had no doubt this kid will be a star.

You should pick it up, great informative read.

It doesn,t surprise me that Carbo chose Price. He said he would ride the hot hand until the end of the year. Seeing as Price made 35 saves on 36 shots the other night, i was expecting him to get the start!

They break down his style and show examples of his almost flawless technique, his powerful lower body

They pointed out that his puck tracking needs improvement and that with time his decision making with his

puck moving will improve. He also needs to make some small adjustments but they were in awe with the

One thing that goes unnoticed is that Price has unusual quick reflexes for a big goalie.

One thing that goes unnoticed is that Price has unusual quick reflexes for a big goalie.

I think it is because people tend to view quick goalies as guys like Cujo, Toskala, Thomas, Theo etc

and not guys like Price who are so economical. He puts himself in position to recover so he does not have

to dive around to make spectacular stops.

I think it is one of the reasons that people are unimpressed with his big wins in Toronto/Pittsburgh.

Look at when he stopped 8 shooters in the shootout and some people blamed the Pens for missing the net.

Well the reason they missed the net is because they had nowhere to shoot. Does anybody really believe that

Price is lucky and he has only allowed 4 of 19 shots because the shooters shoot wide? He makes them shoot wide.

Melanson said in the article that early in the season Price was following the puck really well and after sitting on the bench

for extended periods he noticed it had regressed. It is the main reason why he was sent down, and it is no surprise

that he got rocked in a couple of starts, but he has played really well since those 2 games.

The Leaf game he made some big saves and was hung out to dry on 2 goals. I did not see the Pitt game, but the Florida

game his biggest save was a glove save with about 2-3 minutes to go. It looked unimpressive on the replay but he

did not drop into the butterfly to early and it allowed him to handle the shot and deflect it high over the net with his glove.

It is the type of goal that if he goes down a fraction early and it blows by his ear that everybody says it was a howitzer

and it was not his fault.

I am not worried about this kid in any way. I also want to see what Halak can do with a nice run as well.

But that is a whole other issue.

I was also surprised when I read that he is 230 lbs! This kid is huge, Biron and Ward are the same height and weigh 163 and 200.

Patrick Roy was about 160 lbs at 20 years old. Just one more reason why I feel he will be ready early, he is more physically mature

than other 20 year olds.

Edited by Wamsley01

I actually think his glove hand needs to get quicker. Yes, he's usually in position so he never has to rob anyone but when he is out of position, how often does he dive across and steal a goal? I've yet to see him rob anyone so that's what I'm waiting for from him.

Cool, I've got some night shifts this week, I will pick it up for sure.

I actually think his glove hand needs to get quicker. Yes, he's usually in position so he never has to rob anyone but when he is out of position, how often does he dive across and steal a goal? I've yet to see him rob anyone so that's what I'm waiting for from him.

I don't find a ton of high glove going in on him. Since he has been back (I did not see the Ott game) I have seen

1 goal beat him to the glove, the turnaround Newbury goal. Tuesday it was glove side, but it was a difficult read with

Markov's glove deflecting it.

Time will tell. In a couple of the examples they mentioned his glove positioning.

His glove hand will come down to how long he holds his butterfly, the longer he stays up the less likely guys will go there.

It is like Roy, you always knew he was struggling when he got beat high all the time, it meant he was dropping a half second to early.

As far as scrambling saves, it is not like he gets 10-12 chances a game to make a miraculous stop like Thomas or Aebsicher.

Abby used to make those saves all the time and butcher unscreened blue line shots.

If he starts making those saves as well though, he will be the best in the game when he matures.

Edited by Wamsley01

Great news. And I don't think Kovalev will miss the game, he usually plays well against Philly (except when Mike Richards is giving him headshots after the whistle).

Like Wamsley pointed out, Price is really economical in his movements because of his sound technique and physical size. He doesn't dive across because he rarely needs to. A good goalie who follows the puck and anticipate the pass can move across the crease while staying compact to make a difficult save look easy.

In his best days Roy wasn't especially spectacular but he was the most effective.

Makes sense....you win (and play well), you're in. When Price loses (or even wins but lets in too many goals), Huet gets his crack. I'm all for going with whoever's hot until they cool off.

I agree 100%. If Price carries the team down the stretch, that only strengthens Gainey's hand in negotiations with Huet. If he falters, we've still got Huet. How in God's name can we lose?