Confirmed: Halak starts

carey31price

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really appears, at least to me that we're giving Price a trial run before the deadline to possibly trade Huet. I don't know if it will happen, but if the Kid continues to shine over the next few games i think we should pursue the possibility of a trade.

Makes sense....you win (and play well), you're in. When Price loses (or even wins but lets in too many goals), Huet gets his crack. I'm all for going with whoever's hot until they cool off.

But I thought the wittle baby was tired. Told you it had nothing to do with the Ranger game. Sheesh..........

A few weeks ago in a TSN article Rollie said that they had to play Price in 50 games....ahl or nhl. Does anyone understand why?

. We should be careful though should Price falter in a potential hot play-off run. Unless Gainey feels like saying "screw it, we are ahead of schedule.....it's do or die with Price." Which is highly unlikely. Gainey treats this team like a chess game, he would never make a move unless his ass is covered. Moving Huet would leave his ass uncovered and that's not his style even if it means Huet walks at the end of the year. Although I think he should be dealt.

It really appears, at least to me that we're giving Price a trial run before the deadline to possibly trade Huet. I don't know if it will happen, but if the Kid continues to shine over the next few games i think we should pursue the possibility of a trade.

But who would want Huet? There's really not many places for him to go.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a bad move. SO many people willing to dump shit on Huet it makes me sick. The losses by Huet during this bad stretch just happened to run in stride with the hammer being out of the lineup, hmm wonder how that works.

Truth is, he didn't look good on Sunday, I think too many are blinded by visions of Roy in their eyes.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a bad move. SO many people willing to dump shit on Huet it makes me sick. The losses by Huet during this bad stretch just happened to run in stride with the hammer being out of the lineup, hmm wonder how that works.

Truth is, he didn't look good on Sunday, I think too many are blinded by visions of Roy in their eyes.

Who is shitting on Huet? Excuse a fan base that has had nothing to cheer about for 10 years getting excited about

a kid who just won 3 in a row while putting up huge Save Percentage numbers, you know the stat the defines a good goalie.

Not like he is an important part of the Canadiens future or anything.

Go check Huet's last 5 starts before you talk about how Price played on Sunday. Everybody wants the team to win.

JMMR, myself have all said we would be more than happy for Huet to win 5-6 in a row, but guess what, it is Price right

now. And when he loses, they will go with Huet.

Simple as that.

You are emanating as much shit as anyone. I don't see any shit slinging at Huet in this thread.

simply put - the best thing that could possibly happen would be for Price to bloom and for Huet to become redundant.

That will likely not happen in the very near future, but it makes sense to give price every opportunity to become the starter, especially when he is helping the team.

I think most everybody on this board likes Huet and appreciates what he has done for this team and will continue to appreciate what he does for this team so long as he is the most reliable option at goal. Without Huet, we would have had to suffer through a true suckfest at goal for a few years. Now, however, we might be seeing the rise of a younger, better option and our personal feelings for Huet should not hinder Price from taking the reins.

I think Huet is a starting goalie in this league, but I also hope that Price (at some point) makes him unable to be a starting goalie in Montreal. I will root for Huet for the rest of his career (so long as it is not in Toronto or Boston).

I think it is because people tend to view quick goalies as guys like Cujo, Toskala, Thomas, Theo etc

and not guys like Price who are so economical. He puts himself in position to recover so he does not have

to dive around to make spectacular stops.

King Patrick was the same. They are/were both technically sound goalies. They don't need to flop around all over the place like a dying fish out of water to make spectacular saves. They are in the right place at the right time...most of the time. Which allows them to make their saves look easy!

Patrick Roy was about 160 lbs at 20 years old. Just one more reason why I feel he will be ready early, he is more physically mature

than other 20 year olds.

True. I remember i had Roy's rookie card (i wish i had taken care of it) and he was listed at 6,0" and 165 pounds. Talk about being skinny!

Edited by Habsfan

WE should be careful. Price started off doing very well when Huet was injured earlier on in the season, but as the season progressed and as he got more and more consecutive games, I thik a little fatigue settled into his game(could be one of the reasons why he was going down early).

Let's not forget that the Kid isn't at an elite level just yet. The kid has and will continue to make mistakes.

Huet has been a solid goalie for the Habs over the past 3 seasons. True that he's never played in more than 42 games in one season (he has 37 GP this year) and that he hasn't proven anything in the playoffs just yet, but I still think we shouldn't trade Huet before the deadline. Even if it might mean we'll lose him for nothing during the off-season.

We will still need him in the final push to the playoffs. the Habs have 22 games left to play. My guess is that the goalies will share the workload pretty evenly. (ie: huet will start 12-13 games and Price will start 9-10 games)

King Patrick was the same. They are/were both technically sound goalies. They don't need to flop around all over the place like a dying fish out of water to make spectacular saves. They are in the right place at the right time...most of the time. Which allows them to make their saves look easy!

True. I remember i had Roy's rookie card (i wish i had taken care of it) and he was listed at 6,0" and 165 pounds. Talk about being skinny!

Roy started his career in an entirely different era. Back then you could count on one hand goalies with GGA's under 3. He had the benefit of having a whole bunch of tough defensive players in front of him (Robinson, Ludwig, Green, Chelios, Gainey, Carbonneau, McPhee, Walter, Skrudland, etc) and Lemaire's defensive system was ground-breaking. Roy made the most of good circumstances for a young goalie.

Price is coming into a much different context. The D isn't the same, but especially the forwards are not as good defensively as they were in Roy's time.

Roy started his career in an entirely different era. Back then you could count on one hand goalies with GGA's under 3. He had the benefit of having a whole bunch of tough defensive players in front of him (Robinson, Ludwig, Green, Chelios, Gainey, Carbonneau, McPhee, Walter, Skrudland, etc) and Lemaire's defensive system was ground-breaking. Roy made the most of good circumstances for a young goalie.

true that Roy started his career on a Habs team that had a good defensive system in place, but let's not forget that the mid 80's were the most offensive years in the NHL. there were on average 12 to 15 players each year that had at least 100 points. We don'T see that anymore today.

Edited by Habsfan

Price is coming into a much different context. The D isn't the same, but especially the forwards are not as good defensively as they were in Roy's time.

That is why I view Roy as the best of all-time. He excelled in an era where Gretzky scored 215 points and an era in which the leading scorer

had a tough time breaking 90. He also did not have the benefit of the extra OT point for his whole career which allows teams to go for broke resulting in more victories and also the shootout which results in the same. So his victory totals are not as padded as Brodeurs.

(In an Ovechkin interview they asked him how he would have done 20-30 years ago and he laughed his ass off when he described how shit

the goalies were)

Brodeur through no fault of his own has not spanned both era's, notr Hasek or Belfour. You cannot truly compare their numbers because of this.

As far as Price arriving in a much different context.

While true he also arrives with the benefits of innovators like Roy, in equipment, goalie coaches, technique and the evolution of humans as a whole.

How would Price have been viewed walking into a locker room in 1986 as a 230 lb 20 year old with the quickness of players 30-40 lbs lighter?

He also enters an era in which goalie's have become the most important aspect of the team.

Price is miles ahead in his development than Roy was at 20. Although he may not have the same support system, he does enter with other advantages.

How would Price have been viewed walking into a locker room in 1986 as a 230 lb 20 year old with the quickness of players 30-40 lbs lighter?

A hockey God! ;)

The issue to me is NOT whether we should trade Huet before deadline. I agree with Hickey (for once): it would be folly to go into a playoffs in we at least have a chance of doing damage, without some guarantees in nets. I think they want to give Price as long as test drive as possible, but in order to figure out whether they have to resign Huet in the off-season or not. Indeed, this serves two purposes: it lets the Habs assess Price's readiness to be a full-time number one, and it depresses Huet's overall market value for UFA season. We can't lose.

Except in one sense: if we do decide that Huet can't be re-signed, we lose him for nothing. But that's a risk you sometimes have to take.

The issue to me is NOT whether we should trade Huet before deadline. I agree with Hickey (for once): it would be folly to go into a playoffs in we at least have a chance of doing damage, without some guarantees in nets. I think they want to give Price as long as test drive as possible, but in order to figure out whether they have to resign Huet in the off-season or not. Indeed, this serves two purposes: it lets the Habs assess Price's readiness to be a full-time number one, and it depresses Huet's overall market value for UFA season. We can't lose.

Except in one sense: if we do decide that Huet can't be re-signed, we lose him for nothing. But that's a risk you sometimes have to take.

I view it the same as I do Ryder. Can the Habs receive anything in return that will be of equal value to what they can

contribute in the last 20 games + playoffs?

If you are going to trade either of them just to get something than forget it. What good is a 4th rounder when

Huet could earn you home ice advantage down the stretch? Or win a round in relief? Same with Ryder.

I don't think a 4th rounder can cover the possibility that Ryder heats up and gets 7-8 goals in 20 games. He does it all the time.

As long as Price continues to perform I agree with you CC, it is a win/win. If he falters and Huet has to pick up the pieces,

well then we kind of get bent over and we half to A. Overpay or B. Go into next season not knowing if Price can handle the no. 1 job.

The question of who would want Huet is a pretty intriguing one. To me, there are a few teams in the east who have goaltending issues, but whether they would go out and acquire Cristobal is a good question.

How comfortable is Ottawa right now with their goaltending situations? Emery has been better of late but can you really rely on that character?

What about Washington? Kolzig hasnt been very good and Huet might give them a boost that they need to win the SE.

Both of those teams are playoff-bound, but the best possibilities might lie in teams that will likely miss.

Tampa and LA both have major goaltending issues. Yes Huet is a UFA, but I think the advantage of being able to negotiate with him before anyone else might be significant enough for them to have interest.

This is all very risky of course, and it's times like these that I'm glad I don't have to make some of the decisions that Bob has to make.

Why is it a bad move? We're in a dogfight for first in the East that could make the difference between us playing Boston and NJ in round 1. The smart move is to give one guy the reigns and let him play until he loses. When Price gets beat, Huet'll get his chance to start 4 games in a row - but not unless he can win the first three.

Carbo is letting them earn their positions just like all the skaters had to fight for their positions at the start of the season. Price has earned it, and his performance on Sunday was solid.

The question of who would want Huet is a pretty intriguing one. To me, there are a few teams in the east who have goaltending issues, but whether they would go out and acquire Cristobal is a good question.

How comfortable is Ottawa right now with their goaltending situations? Emery has been better of late but can you really rely on that character?

Ottawa is spending upwards of 6M$ on their goalies already. I strongly doubt they'd want to acquire a 3rd one without dealing one away first...

What about Washington? Kolzig hasnt been very good and Huet might give them a boost that they need to win the SE.

It's the only real place Huet could go in the East; but Kolzig is like Koivu here in Montreal: the overrated veteran "leader" who's been there for eons. Doubt the Caps would risk pissing him off by getting a #1.

Tampa and LA both have major goaltending issues. Yes Huet is a UFA, but I think the advantage of being able to negotiate with him before anyone else might be significant enough for them to have interest.

This is all very risky of course, and it's times like these that I'm glad I don't have to make some of the decisions that Bob has to make.

LA have Bernier coming up in a few years; doubt they'll spend much on Huet.

Tampa don't have the cap room to sign Huet... unless they deal one of their Big 4 away.

Edited by KoZed

Ottawa is spending upwards of 6M$ on their goalies already. I strongly doubt they'd want to acquire a 3rd one without dealing one away first...

I could see someone taking a chance on Emery or even someone taking Gerber as their backup. Of course then your helping out a rival...

Tampa don't have the cap room to sign Huet... unless they deal one of their Big 4 away.

Well a Huet trade could involve on the big 4 couldn't it? I'm not sure if your including Prospal in that or Boyle, Boyle doesn't appear to be on the move but there's plenty of rumours going around about Prospal and Richards.

I haven't seen anyone dumping on Huet, just people facing facts. Huet is going to want his one big contract at the end of this season. Are you comfortable giving him 6 or 7 mil over 3 or 4 years? I'm sure not. Huet has been great for us over all, but unless he's willing to sign a short term for a small raise (doubtful), his time with Montreal is likely over at the end of this contract...should we risk losing him for nothing at the end of the year? Huet, in my opinion is on the downside of the best he'll ever be. Don't get me wrong, he was great for us at a time when we desperately needed him, but at some point the team has to consider the future. And that future, like it or not is Price, a guy who we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg of his POTENTIAL. Ideally we could have them both for another year, but the business end of hockey likely won't allow that to happen.

I haven't seen anyone dumping on Huet, just people facing facts. Huet is going to want his one big contract at the end of this season. Are you comfortable giving him 6 or 7 mil over 3 or 4 years? I'm sure not. Huet has been great for us over all, but unless he's willing to sign a short term for a small raise (doubtful), his time with Montreal is likely over at the end of this contract...should we risk losing him for nothing at the end of the year? Huet, in my opinion is on the downside of the best he'll ever be. Don't get me wrong, he was great for us at a time when we desperately needed him, but at some point the team has to consider the future. And that future, like it or not is Price, a guy who we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg of his POTENTIAL. Ideally we could have them both for another year, but the business end of hockey likely won't allow that to happen.

Worse case, huet can't be signed at the end of the season. What did we lose? A pick, maybe a prospect? We have a ton of prospects.

People are so worried about losing a guy for nothing if they don't resign. You didn't get nothing, you got them for the last 20 games and potentially 4 playoff rounds.

Meanwhile, people are willing to give up prospects and roster guys for a rental player.

Price is not ready, imo, for doing it himself. Perhaps Huet can't do it all himself either. So take both into the post season and go for it.

In any case, I am not convinced that Huet is going to get that much money offered as a UFA. It really depends on how the habs do in the playoffs. If we ride huet to a cup, well then he is going to be worth a ton of money. If we ride Price to a cup, we probably don't need him. Maybe we get to the 3rd round, with both of them having average records. In that case he is worth less and Gainey is more likely to want to sign him to ensure we have a solid tandem.

If Gainey is not giving Huet an extension now (and he never does in the middle of the season), then he might as well keep him for the season and make his decision after the season. He has nothing to really lose in just holding on to Huet. And from what I hear, Gainey is not shopping him anyway. The only real 'trade" i hear about is ryder for Tanguay. The only other things we hear about is buying an impact player, which means the seller is not looking to get a UFA goalie back.

Agreed, brobin.

If there's one position you want too much depth, it's goalie. Trading Huet now would be absurd, in my opinion. I also think it's highly probable he'll be re-signed for 2-3 years at season's end. Price, being on a entry-level contract, will not cost the Habs much, so they'll be able to afford a higher salaried, very capable 'keeper that is Huet to play with Price as he develops over the couple seasons. Taking an unnecessary risk with Price to try to save a few bucks at the goaltender position doesn't make any sense, as it could easily cost the playoffs if it turns out the kid ain't ready.

Worse case, huet can't be signed at the end of the season. What did we lose? A pick, maybe a prospect? We have a ton of prospects.

People are so worried about losing a guy for nothing if they don't resign. You didn't get nothing, you got them for the last 20 games and potentially 4 playoff rounds.

Meanwhile, people are willing to give up prospects and roster guys for a rental player.

Price is not ready, imo, for doing it himself. Perhaps Huet can't do it all himself either. So take both into the post season and go for it.

In any case, I am not convinced that Huet is going to get that much money offered as a UFA. It really depends on how the habs do in the playoffs. If we ride huet to a cup, well then he is going to be worth a ton of money. If we ride Price to a cup, we probably don't need him. Maybe we get to the 3rd round, with both of them having average records. In that case he is worth less and Gainey is more likely to want to sign him to ensure we have a solid tandem.

If Gainey is not giving Huet an extension now (and he never does in the middle of the season), then he might as well keep him for the season and make his decision after the season. He has nothing to really lose in just holding on to Huet. And from what I hear, Gainey is not shopping him anyway. The only real 'trade" i hear about is ryder for Tanguay. The only other things we hear about is buying an impact player, which means the seller is not looking to get a UFA goalie back.

Trading Huet right now makes no sense. If he walks you get his cap space which is valuable in itself.

He offers more to this team than any return for him this year. A couple rounds would help the experience level of the youth

it is worth way more than a mid level pick.

Good points brobin, Wamsley & Mont Royale all. Price is not quite ready but he's close and it may happen this season, but that's a gamble. They're a great tandem, one of the best in the league IMO. If Huet can't fetch a good return to fill some pressing needs, by all means keep him. He loves the city from what I read, so you never know, he may be happy here for another year or two with a modest raise...not like he'd be suffering at 4 mil a year ^_^

Edited by Fat Tony