For Better or Worse: This is Your Team! (Update) Gainey Speaks...

kenadian

Thanks for the link. I didn't hear the original conference, but this transcription is useful.

One thing about Bob, when he speaks he's always convincing. This is really reassuring:

We added the two best players in the AHL to our roster tonight. Grabovski will play, he's played great...what else can he do? Halak is the best goalie in the AHL, we decided to go with our young players"

I love the frankness too:

We had chances to trade Ryder over the last two months, and we felt it was a sideways move for another underacheiver

Ouch! But he softens it appropriately:

This hasn't been an easy year for Ryder. He's an excellent offensive player, with specific talents that are hard to find. We're trying to get Ryder working on all cylinders...it's nothing but win-win with him, and better for us if he plays better, and better for him."

Plus a discreet shot, perhaps, at Atlanta's philosophy of team-building along with a message to his players about how you win:

The guys here are smart, and understand the difference, we have a complete team, they didn't have one in Atlanta where Hossa was an individual without much around him..."

And a direct hit on that idiot Waddell:

"We've spoken with Atlanta for the last 3 days. Today they changed their demands."

In other words: you're a pr*ck, Waddell.

Don't love the move, but I love the Bob!

And a direct hit on that idiot Waddell:

"We've spoken with Atlanta for the last 3 days. Today they changed their demands."

In other words: you're a pr*ck, Waddell.

Don't love the move, but I love the Bob!

Waddell made no friends in Ottawa and Montreal. He made the trade to save his job, not restock his franchise. The players he got were OK and effective at what they do. I do not see the upside for his team..... Considering what he traded to get Hossa....

Bob seems to be pissed. Heres my take on what happend today:

Early on he realized that it wasnt good to keep switching goalies after they had a bad game so he moved the UFA who (in all realistic likelihood) was gone anyway.

Bob probably had the best offer on the table most of the day and when Ottawa traded for Lapoint I figured that they were backing out of the race a bit.

Wadell held out on Bob stalling to the last minute and then Shero came in last minute and SEVERLY OVERPAID for Hossa, and with that offer put out Bob probably told Wadell to go piss up a tree.

Although I would have liked to see Bob get somebody with a little toughness and maybe upgrade on Bouillon/Dandenault, you cant say that Bob didnt do the right things today.

This team showed tonight that they still are a strong team that wont only continue to push for 1st but will make some NOISE in the playoffs. Even if we dont win the cup this year, ITS OK............... This team proved everyone wrong this season and we will be able to see what is needed to be added to make this team the best in the East next year. The big UFAs this summer will no doubt take notice, and this summer instead of "No, its a nice offer but your team is too far away for me to sign", it will be "Im really glad to have gotten this opportunity to join an up and coming team" I have a feeling that Bob will feel bad for the Hossa debauchle and will make it up to us this summer by landing the big one..... See

Vincent Lecavalier: VINsant LEcaValeeA -1. Best all around forward in the league 2. Proven scorer and leader 3. The last piece to the Habs return to LE GLORIEUX!

And surely enough, the Habs will return next year stronger and better than before. Patience folks, 25 will soon be here,

As will 26, 27,28,29 & 30.

GO HABS GO!!!!

:hlogo:

How long must we suffer without an offensive star? I support Bob and his decision was the right one, but losing yet again in our attempt to land a big name is very disheartening. I only hope that we can finish high and go deep in the playoffs and attract some quality players this summer. That's getting a bit ahead of things, but man it sucks to lose this one.

Waddell made no friends in Ottawa and Montreal. He made the trade to save his job, not restock his franchise. The players he got were OK and effective at what they do. I do not see the upside for his team..... Considering what he traded to get Hossa....

You don't see the upside for his team? He got two first-rounders, plus two GOOD young roster players. He got a better return than Philly did for Forsberg.

How long must we suffer without an offensive star? I support Bob and his decision was the right one, but losing yet again in our attempt to land a big name is very disheartening. I only hope that we can finish high and go deep in the playoffs and attract some quality players this summer. That's getting a bit ahead of things, but man it sucks to lose this one.

We're 3rd in the league in goals for, an offensive star isn't a desperate need for us.

You don't see the upside for his team? He got two first-rounders, plus two GOOD young roster players. He got a better return than Philly did for Forsberg.

We're 3rd in the league in goals for, an offensive star isn't a desperate need for us.

I have to agree. Look whats going on in Ottawa. The big three don't score they are screwed. Look at Tampa. Big three and last place.

Scoring stars cost so much money they mess up your ability to shore up the support. I think Gainey is doing it perfectly. He's stocking up the pond so when it's the right time to bring in that Impact guy it won't hurt the whole team for years.......

Besides it's nice to have 4, 5, 6 or even 7, 20 to 30 goalscoresrs instead of one 60 goalscorer and nothing else.

I'll take four lines who can chip in and a quality overall offensive production for $400, Alex.

Here's the answer: A high profile scoring star.

Alex, what is overpaid?

That's correct.

I'll take four lines who can chip in and a quality overall offensive production for $400, Alex.

Here's the answer: A high profile scoring star.

Alex, what is overpaid?

That's correct.

Later on.........

"Ooh, Im sorry Ray that answer was incorrect, and what did you wager? Oh, your future sorry.... that means you Bob Gainey are our new Jeopardy champion with a one day total of a good team that keeps rising."

:hlogo:

I am not high on Esposito, the first round pick will be very high 20s and he got 2 3rd liners. A nice haul for sure, but hardly the steal some suggest.

The guy gave away a better player than all 4 of them for Alexei Zhitnik last season and has essentially replaced his picks with the ones he gave away for Tkachuk.

So in the last 2 deadlines he has shipped out Hossa, Coburn, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick and now has Zhitnik, Armstrong, Christienson, Esposito and a 1st?

That is not good General Managing. Atlanta will never win anything with him as the GM.

Edited by Wamsley01

I wouldn't say so. Christensen is a boom or bust guy who was playing on Pittsburgh's fourth line. Armstrong seems like a career third liner with little offensive upside. I can understand them wanting Esposito but I have very little faith in that guy ever becoming big.

What they wanted from us was almost definitely Ryder, Lapierre, Grabovski and a 1st (or Valentenko/Carle/prospect if Gainey had refused to give up his 1st). I think Gainey was willing to do something like Ryder, Grabovski and a 2nd/prospect, not much more. I can understand them taking their offer over ours but that deal is nothing special. The Forsberg trade brought legitimate prospects in Upshall and Parent. I'd take those any day over guys like Armstrong.

Anyways, that really doesn't have much to do with us.

I don't mind this trade at all. I personally wouldn't have made it, but it didn't surprise me and it doesn't upset me - I am just excited to see Price in the playoffs. The main reason for this deal wasn't to get a second rounder back and it wasn't to get rid of a struggling goalie - it was to open up a roster spot, push Price and Halak up the depth chart and allow our two young goalies to develop as quickly as possible and hit their potential. Obviously, there is a risk involved, and Gainey knows this, but he is very high on Price and is pretty confidant that even if he doesn't carry our team to the Cup, he will atleast gain that experience.

Everyone is complaining that our goalies need experience, but how are they ever to get it if we don't give them this opportunity? They might prove to us that they aren't yet ready for this opporunity but... Price has been rushed through every level and I don't think he's disappointed anyone yet, he's always risen to the occasion. So I'm perfectly comfortable going down the stretch with two goalies that have never failed us yet.

I will add to this... Halak and Danis situation!! Remember both of them felt prettyF'd up because of the situation when Price was called up to hamilton last year. Now Halak has a shot at playing regular games in the NHL Danis and that other dude in Cin city are going to have permanent work in Hamilton... all of them will be able to showcase their stuff and either mend bridges with the Habs org... because NO one can deny we have been really sacrificing alot with the rest of our goalie prospects by keeping Price up there... Rolly and Timmins have had to sweet talk them alot so they don't quit on us... and I believe a few of them have to renew contracts at the end of the season?

So that another BONUS about letting Huet go sooner than later

My quick, tongue in cheek reply...I just think Bob likes to trade goalies. First, ships out Garon, gets Huet in that deal. Then, ships Theodore out for Aebischer, Claims Leighton, trades him for a pick, trades Huet for a pick. Talk about a merry-go-round. Haha!

Vincent Lecavalier: VINsant LEcaValeeA -1. Best all around forward in the league 2. Proven scorer and leader 3. The last piece to the Habs return to LE GLORIEUX!

You can pretty much forget about Lecavalier ever coming to Montreal. The new Owner of the Lightning said that his first priority was to sign Lecavalier to a very long term contract that would assure Vinny that he would play the rest of his career in Tampa.

Plus we all know that Vinny has taken a liking to the Florida Sun!

I am not high on Esposito, the first round pick will be very high 20s and he got 2 3rd liners. A nice haul for sure, but hardly the steal some suggest.

The guy gave away a better player than all 4 of them for Alexei Zhitnik last season and has essentially replaced his picks with the ones he gave away for Tkachuk.

So in the last 2 deadlines he has shipped out Hossa, Coburn, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick and now has Zhitnik, Armstrong, Christienson, Esposito and a 1st?

That is not good General Managing. Atlanta will never win anything with him as the GM.

I'm only talking about this deal, his moves last year were terrible. I'm not defending Waddell as GM here.

I wouldn't say so. Christensen is a boom or bust guy who was playing on Pittsburgh's fourth line. Armstrong seems like a career third liner with little offensive upside. I can understand them wanting Esposito but I have very little faith in that guy ever becoming big.

What they wanted from us was almost definitely Ryder, Lapierre, Grabovski and a 1st (or Valentenko/Carle/prospect if Gainey had refused to give up his 1st). I think Gainey was willing to do something like Ryder, Grabovski and a 2nd/prospect, not much more. I can understand them taking their offer over ours but that deal is nothing special. The Forsberg trade brought legitimate prospects in Upshall and Parent. I'd take those any day over guys like Armstrong.

Esposito might look pretty good feeding the puck to Kovalchuk on his wing. Even a late first-rounder in this year's draft should be pretty valuable. Christensen and Armstrong may be third-liners on Pittsburgh, but they're roster players on a good team, and they'll definitely make Atlanta better in the short term. Armstrong is a valuable player, an agitator. Christensen has a lot of upside, although he is regarded as a bum for his inconsistency. At the very least he helps win shootouts.

I'm only talking about this deal, his moves last year were terrible. I'm not defending Waddell as GM here.

Esposito might look pretty good feeding the puck to Kovalchuk on his wing. Even a late first-rounder in this year's draft should be pretty valuable. Christensen and Armstrong may be third-liners on Pittsburgh, but they're roster players on a good team, and they'll definitely make Atlanta better in the short term. Armstrong is a valuable player, an agitator. Christensen has a lot of upside, although he is regarded as a bum for his inconsistency. At the very least he helps win shootouts.

I think it was an OK move. What was the rush to improve the Thrashers by adding 3rd and 4th liners? I mean he gave up a 3rd liner in the deal back.

Adding Esposito is any easy appeasement to the fans and ownership as a name prospect. But the guy nose dived to the bottom half of the first round.

What type of prospect goes from 98 points as a 17 year old to 55 as a a 19 year old? Has any prospect ever regressed their point total yearly from

the age of 17-19 in the same league? Now they add a pick for a GM who other than top 10 picks has been less than impressive.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr001790.html

If that was my move I would have went for the guys with the most upside hoping to hit a home run. Those 4 guys will not save his job, but if one of Lapierre

O'Byrne or Grabovski max out their potential maybe he does. Maybe go for less of a package and try to get a better prospect straight up, not like the Habs

don't have a ton of them.

The Thrashers owner is obviously asleep, because in 9 years this guy has had 4 top 2 picks,

6 top 10 picks and has made the playoffs once and turned Danny Heatley into that mass of mediocrity.

Dumb GMs think short term, smart GMs look at the big picture. So he can enjoy his accolades now, but barring Christensen blossoming this is not going to alter the history of the Thrashers one iota!

Edited by Wamsley01

I will add to this... Halak and Danis situation!! Remember both of them felt prettyF'd up because of the situation when Price was called up to hamilton last year. Now Halak has a shot at playing regular games in the NHL Danis and that other dude in Cin city are going to have permanent work in Hamilton... all of them will be able to showcase their stuff and either mend bridges with the Habs org... because NO one can deny we have been really sacrificing alot with the rest of our goalie prospects by keeping Price up there... Rolly and Timmins have had to sweet talk them alot so they don't quit on us... and I believe a few of them have to renew contracts at the end of the season?

So that another BONUS about letting Huet go sooner than later

The market for goalies is really bad. There seem to be a lot of good kids out there. Danis should be really happy now. One injury or sucky play he's next in line. He did sign for a 1 year extension last year, It will be interesting to see if he'll want to stay this this year.

I think it was an OK move. What was the rush to improve the Thrashers by adding 3rd and 4th liners? I mean he gave up a 3rd liner in the deal back.

Adding Esposito is any easy appeasement to the fans and ownership as a name prospect. But the guy nose dived to the bottom half of the first round.

What type of prospect goes from 98 points as a 17 year old to 55 as a a 19 year old? Has any prospect ever regressed their point total yearly from

the age of 17-19 in the same league? Now they add a pick for a GM who other than top 10 picks has been less than impressive.

If that was my move I would have went for the guys with the most upside hoping to hit a home run. Those 4 guys will not save his job, but if one of Lapierre

O'Byrne or Grabovski max out their potential maybe he does. The Thrashers owner is obviously asleep, because in 9 years this guy has had 4 top 2 picks,

6 top 10 picks and has made the playoffs once and turned Danny Heatley into that mass of mediocrity.

Dumb GMs think short term, smart GMs look at the big picture. So he can enjoy his accolades now, but barring Christensen blossoming this is not going to alter the history of the Thrashers one iota!

I'm just judging THIS MOVE. I'm not a Waddell fan. I still hold that it was a better return than Philly got for Forsberg. Upshall and Parent are in roughly the same league as Christensen and Armstrong, except the latter are NHL regulars now. Atlanta was a team that lacked depth, and these guys help that.

Yeah, Esposito's stock fell pretty badly, but that doesn't mean he's done. We can argue about how good he'll be all we want, but we'll find out for real in several years.

Now they add a pick for a GM who other than top 10 picks has been less than impressive.

Hee hee, that is one abysmal track record of failure at the drafting table! No wonder that franchise sucks: any prospect other than a no-brainer, they'll miss. (This doesn't bode well for Esposito). It's info like that that makes you realize just how good an organization we have here.

I'm just judging THIS MOVE. I'm not a Waddell fan. I still hold that it was a better return than Philly got for Forsberg. Upshall and Parent are in roughly the same league as Christensen and Armstrong, except the latter are NHL regulars now. Atlanta was a team that lacked depth, and these guys help that.

Yeah, Esposito's stock fell pretty badly, but that doesn't mean he's done. We can argue about how good he'll be all we want, but we'll find out for real in several years.

I might be underrating Christensen, but I think the deal is just OK to meh.

As far as Esposito goes, when is the last time you saw a player not only decline in his second junior season, but then drop 15-20 spots in the draft and not come out with a vengeance to prove everybody wrong?

That screams bust to me. If that does not motivate the kid to work harder what will? The kid has been cut from 3 World Junior camps, dropped from the number 1 ranking

to number 20 and he responds with 55 points in 48 games to barely crack the top 50 in scoring in a league that he put up close to 100 at 17 years old. RED FLAGS abound.

Parent can be a second pairing defenceman and Upshall a second line forward. And then I think there was a 1st and a 2nd involved. I would take either one of those two guys over BOTH Armstrong and Christensen.

It time to move on and move forward. The Sens are struggling and we just went 1-2 in our last 3. This team ought to do well. Even against the Blue Jacket's, you had to appreciate the onslaught that we threw against them.

Most of our losses could be described individually as a "positive loss". There have been times when we have dumped the bed but the Columbus game was a good sign. We have many positive losses this year.

We take this team for better or worse and hope and move forward :hlogo:

Huet is gone. BOb put a '09 2nd in his pocket. That's the way it goes. It's time to move forward. Besides, for better or worse the best thing for our goalies is to get the best training available. There's no better training than facing NHL shooters.

It's a bummer deal but the 2nd is nice. Part of the reason his stock was so low was because Gainey kept him to give the team valuble points up to the deadline. Had he moved Huet before Bryzgalov left Anaheim, he probably would have gotton more out of Phoenix than he did with Washington. He didn't move him because the team achieving this well up to the deadline was something Gainey wanted more than he did in a better resulting trade

We take this team for better or worse and hope and move forward :hlogo:

GO HABS GO :clap:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

And it's the Ducks 2nd in '09; so it might turn out into a higher pick than this year's draft. Who knows, they could win it all again this year (several post deadline articles pick the Ducks) so I'm actually happy the pick is in '09......

Most of our losses could be described individually as a "positive loss". There have been times when we have dumped the bed but the Columbus game was a good sign. We have many positive losses this year.

I'm not trying to be ass here, but how exactly was saturday's loss to the Blue Jackets A "good loss"?

Edited by Habsfan