Kovalev for the Hart?

Gretzky suggested Kovy should be in the running for the Hart. Mike Boone agrees in today's 'About Last Night' column. I don't think Kovy has a chance, but...the mind reels. :wacko:

Discuss!

Gretzky suggested Kovy should be in the running for the Hart. Mike Boone agrees in today's 'About Last Night' column. I don't think Kovy has a chance, but...the mind reels. :wacko:

Discuss!

No chance. It would be nice to see, but when is the last time they gave it to a guy who was 14th in league scoring?

He may be most valuable to his team right now, but it is not enough of an argument for him to win it unfortunately.

What would be the odds on this thread being discussed 6 months ago? Higher than Douglas beating Tyson I would bet

Discuss!

ONLY if the Habs win the east.

Still a long shot consideration in my mind. Iginla doesn't get enough consideration from Eastern media, and despite his injury (and maybe even moreso because of it), I'd still put Lidstrom on my ballot if I had one.

No chance. It would be nice to see, but when is the last time they gave it to a guy who was 14th in league scoring?

He may be most valuable to his team right now, but it is not enough of an argument for him to win it unfortunately.

What would be the odds on this thread being discussed 6 months ago? Higher than Douglas beating Tyson I would bet

I hear you Walmsley, but the way he turned himself around compared to last year. I think he has people who hate him, loving him. He's done something very special this year. Not only as a hockey player but as a human being. I always looked at him as a snooty Euro player that didn't think his shit stank....no matter how poorly he played. Being European and growing up in Toronto it was a trait I despised. This year he's doing everything he said he wanted to do. Not act like the best, but be the best. He is going to get a lot of consideration for reasons I don't need to discuss and I think he deserves it. Montreal would not be where they are this year without his fantastic play and leadership,I hope he gets rewarded for all his hard work.

I think the only guy who might beat him will be Evgeni Malkin or believe it or not Ribs. Who desrves it more than these three?

I hear you Walmsley, but the way he turned himself around compared to last year. I think he has people who hate him, loving him. He's done something very special this year. Not only as a hockey player but as a human being. I always looked at him as a snooty Euro player that didn't think his shit stank....no matter how poorly he played. Being European and growing up in Toronto it was a trait I despised. This year he's doing everything he said he wanted to do. Not act like the best, but be the best. He is going to get a lot of consideration for reasons I don't need to discuss and I think he deserves it. Montreal would not be where they are this year without his fantastic play and leadership,I hope he gets rewarded for all his hard work.

I think the only guy who might beat him will be Evgeni Malkin or believe it or not Ribs. Who desrves it more than these three?

Ovechkin if they get in the playoffs.

AS much as I'd like to see Kovy get some kind of recognition for his outstanding play this year, I don't think it'll happen. Like Wamsley said, when was the last time a 14th leading scorer in the league won the Hart? Never!

Mark my words, Martin Brodeur will win the Hart. Without him, the Devils aren't nearly as good as their record indicates!

Edited by Habsfan

AS much as I'd like to see Kovy get some kind of recognition for his outstanding play this year, I don't think it'll happen. Like Wamsley said, when was the last time a 14th leading scorer in the league won the Hart? Never!

Mark my words, Martin Brodeur will win the Hart. Without him, the Devils aren't nearly as good as their record indicates!

No-way, I just can't see that happening. Kovy is ahead of Marty for sure.

If it wasnt' for Ovechkin, I'm sure Kovy would at least have a shot should the Habs hold onto first place. But I look at it this way:

Without Kovy, the Habs would be mediocre...possibly the low-end of mediocre.

Without Ovechkin, the Caps would flat-out stink.

It will go to Ovechkin. (Even Malkin deserves serious consideration - where would the Pens be if he hadn't siezed the bull by the horns and dominated when Crosby went down?). The real debate to me hinges on a) whether Kovy deserves it more and b) whether he will get nominated.

What Kovy really deserves is an award for 'Most Improved Player.' There's an award the NHL could consider adding to its hardware list.

If he keeps racking up 3 points a game and helps the Habs hold down first place until the end of the season - I believe he'd be a candidate.

I doubt it, but that was nice of Gretzky to say. Kovy doesn't get the recognition he deserves. I really have to think Ovechkin will win it if the Caps make the playoffs.

99-00. Chris Pronger. Wasn't even close to 14th in scoring.

Actually seeing as you are being a smart ass you are wrong. Jose Theodore in 2002.

Defencemen not named Bobby Orr and goalies seem to win it actually based on the award criteria.

The NHL once every 4-5 years gives it to the guy who is actually most valuable to the team.

But they generally give it to the best player aka scoring champion of the league.

Luongo was the most valuable to his team last year and Crosby won it.

Was Martin St. Louis the MVP of the Lightning? Because we saw that without Khabibulin they stunk

So who was really the most important player on that team?

Jagr on the 99 Penguins? Best player in the league, but Most Valuable in the league? That was the

year that Hasek took a team full of nobodies and almost won the Cup, the same year in which Cujo turned

the Leafs into a Cup contender. Why did Jagr win it? Scoring title is my guess.

We can go on and on. Kovy is deserving in the spirit of the award, but if history is an indication the NHL does not hand it out on that basis

If you look below 11 times since 1976 they have not awarded it to the League scoring champion. Three of those times it went to a goalie,

once it went to a defenceman in Pronger and 6 times it went to the 2nd place in scoring. Messier at 6th in scoring is the lowest scoring

forward to ever win it and it was in the year where he went to NY and lead the Rangers to the Presidents trophy, you don't think it had anything

to do with him being traded to NY do you?

So if any of you believe that Kovy has a chance, you are suffering from delusions. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!

1975–76 Bobby Clarke - 2nd

1976–77 Guy Lafleur - 1st

1977–78 Guy Lafleur - 1st

1978–79 Bryan Trottier - 1st

1979–80 Wayne Gretzky - 1st tied (2nd because of less goals)

1980–81 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1981–82 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1982–83 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1983–84 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1984–85 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1985–86 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1986–87 Wayne Gretzky - 1st

1987–88 Mario Lemieux - 1st

1988–89 Wayne Gretzky - 2nd

1989–90 Mark Messier - 2nd

1990–91 Brett Hull - 2nd (86 goals)

1991–92 Mark Messier - 6th

1992–93 Mario Lemieux - 1st

1993–94 Sergei Fedorov - 2nd

1994–95 Eric Lindros - 1st tied (2nd because of less goals)

1995–96 Mario Lemieux - 1st

1996–97 Dominik Hasek

1997–98 Dominik Hasek

1998–99 Jaromir Jagr - 1st

1999–2000 Chris Pronger

2000–01 Joe Sakic - 2nd

2001–02 Jose Theodore

2002–03 Peter Forsberg - 1st

2003–04 Martin St. Louis - 1st

2005–06 Joe Thornton - 1st

2006–07 Sidney Crosby - 1st

Edited by Wamsley01

Ouch. Kovalev over Ovechkin? Not even a little homerism there. ;)

Sure, Kovy is having a great season, but let's be honest here, where are the Caps without Ovechkin? The Habs still have a pretty balanced team (and I seriously question those who feel we'd be on the lower end of mediocrity without him - he's good, but someone else would have picked up the slack with more playing time; not as much as Kovy gave, I agree, but still...), so I just can't see Kovy even getting real consideration.

I mean, take a little longer look at it all:

Kovy is playing with Plekanec and Kostitsyn who are both kids having what could be considered break-out seasons. Yes, Kovy is probably a large part of that, but the way those two have developed, does anyone really doubt they'd at least have some success with someone other than Kovy on their wing? The Habs have been very careful with their development, and I'm pretty sure that they would still be having very good seasons without Kovy around.

As much as people like to diss Koivu, and while he has had a substandard season, he's still done fairly well. Remember, Montreal is one of the top-scoring teams in the NHL and that's not all Kovy. Koivu's like, while it's struggled at times, has also been the go-to line more than a few times.

Ovechkin? Who does he play with? The simple fact is that he doesn't have to play with *anyone* to score. He can carry that team on his own (sometimes he has to).

It's very generous to mention Kovy as a potential MVP, and I suppose it's possible he could garner more than a few votes, but I think him winning it would be downright silly. Montreal minus Kovy is still good. Washington minus Ovechkin is AHL.

Ouch. Kovalev over Ovechkin? Not even a little homerism there. ;)

I agree. Kovy has been great, and is probably among the top ten league candidates for the award. But he's not the winner, and not in the top three.

Right now, with Washington on the outside of the playoffs, I say it goes to Malkin. He's been getting two PPG since Crosby went down, and took them to near the conference lead after the reigning MVP left the line-up.

Ovechkin is the next closest choice. He's ridiculously important to his team, but if they don't make the playoffs then he'll be less likely to get it.

I guess Iginla would be the third choice.

Kovy is playing with Plekanec and Kostitsyn who are both kids having what could be considered break-out seasons. Yes, Kovy is probably a large part of that, but the way those two have developed, does anyone really doubt they'd at least have some success with someone other than Kovy on their wing?

As much as people like to diss Koivu, and while he has had a substandard season, he's still done fairly well. Remember, Montreal is one of the top-scoring teams in the NHL and that's not all Kovy. Koivu's like, while it's struggled at times, has also been the go-to line more than a few times.

I disagree.

Who could you put in Kovy's spot and get anywhere near the production? Nobody on this team, that's for sure.

As for Koivu's line being the go-to line on more than just a few occasions? That's an overstatement:

Koivu...........13G......37A.....50P

Higgins.........21G......22A.....43P

Ryder..........12G.......13A.....25P OR S. Kostitsyn........9G........11A........20P (you'd have to do some digging to figure out what was accumulated with who when, but you get the idea)

TOTAL..........46G.......72A.....118P

Kovalev.......29G......43A......72P

Plekanec......27G......35A......62P

A.Kostitsyn...20G......23A......43P

TOTAL.........76G.....101A.....177P

That's a pretty darned big gap in production....Kovy/Plex/BigTitz has been the go-to line in 90 percent of the games this season.

Edited by sbhatt

^

Yeah, that's true.

Anyways, Kovalev will probably not be nominated, let alone win. He's having a great year, but he hasn't carried the team on his back the way a guy like Ovechkin has in Washington, or Malkin has in Pittsburgh since Crosby went down. It's just not on the same level at all.

Edited by smon

I think Kovalev is definitely the Habs MVP but not the league MVP. Who knows maybe he can get an award in the playoffs.

I think "Conn Smythe trophy winner Alex Kovalev" has a nice ring to it, don't you?

I think "Conn Smythe trophy winner Alex Kovalev" has a nice ring to it, don't you?

I like "Carey Price Conn Smythe trophy winner" better :)

Fits nicely into Habs lore with other rookie saviours

That's a pretty darned big gap in production....Kovy/Plex/BigTitz has been the go-to line in 90 percent of the games this season.

BTH part two. :P

No overstatement there.

because kovy is the goof that he has been the last few years he gets no consideration for mvp BUT this team was picked to be 14 to 15th out of the playoffs. We are where we are because Kovy decided to play the hockey that he can. if any of you are so misguided as to believe he didn't take this team on his shoulders and lead it , you have been watching some other team. koivu has struggled higgins has struggled ryder disappeared but the guys playing with and around kovy blossomed hmmmm sounds like mvp to me he just will not get any considerstion because of his floater rep WHICH he has definitely not been this year.

I like "Carey Price Conn Smythe trophy winner" better :)

Fits nicely into Habs lore with other rookie saviours

I haven't seen Price play at a level that shows me he can dominate a game regularily....yet....but definitely hope he's got that in him.

I've seen Kovalev dominate at least 40 games this year though...so I know full well he's capable of doing it.

Gotta play the odds on that one, but I will say this: Price will have to be darned good for the Habs to have a deep playoff run. Average goaltending won't cut it. And I definitely think he's capable of being darned good.