Koivu out 4-6 weeks

JMMR

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any news from anywhere on Saku? Weren't tests supposed to be done today? X-rays I believe?

I think I heard yesterday that the X-rays will happen on Monday. And that they already took some that were inconclusive.

It might take more than a day or two for the swelling to go down sufficiently.. or they might be holding back on the injury report as long as possible.

Only thing is that swelling has no bearing on the ability to take or interpret an xray. I'm sure he's had one by now, if not it is not because of swelling.

It would however, obscure the exam and hence the prognosis. So you are right that they are probably holding back the report for this, a proper exam, that is.

Hopefully we'll know tomorrow.

I think I heard yesterday that the X-rays will happen on Monday. And that they already took some that were inconclusive.

I heard the same, and I hope its true. If they didnt see a fracture (ie. inconclusive) yesterday, then it is either a very small fracture or not there.

Only thing is that swelling has no bearing on the ability to take or interpret an xray. I'm sure he's had one by now, if not it is not because of swelling.

It would however, obscure the exam and hence the prognosis. So you are right that they are probably holding back the report for this, a proper exam, that is.

Hopefully we'll know tomorrow.

I heard the same, and I hope its true. If they didnt see a fracture (ie. inconclusive) yesterday, then it is either a very small fracture or not there.

I was talking to my brother, who is a M3 med student and he told me that swelling could make reading the x-ray harder and that he wouldn't expect a good read until about tuesday. He also said, agreeing with you, that the longer it took to get a conclusive diagnosis, the less potentially serious a fracture would be.

I was talking to my brother, who is a M3 med student and he told me that swelling could make reading the x-ray harder and that he wouldn't expect a good read until about tuesday. He also said, agreeing with you, that the longer it took to get a conclusive diagnosis, the less potentially serious a fracture would be.

As a radiologist, I'd have to disagree. Some fractures are occult immediately following the injury only to become obvious a few days later which is probably what's happened with Saku. Soft tissue swelling would have no effect on making this diagnosis.

What's likely to happen is a repeat X-ray on monday. If they see a fracture, the diagnosis is made. If they don't see a fracture, yet Saku's pain is still suggestive of a fracture, he will likely get a CT scan and possibly a bone scan if necessary.

As a radiologist, I'd have to disagree. Some fractures are occult immediately following the injury only to become obvious a few days later which is probably what's happened with Saku. Soft tissue swelling would have no effect on making this diagnosis.

What's likely to happen is a repeat X-ray on monday. If they see a fracture, the diagnosis is made. If they don't see a fracture, yet Saku's pain is still suggestive of a fracture, he will likely get a CT scan and possibly a bone scan if necessary.

Could it be harder because it's the foot? Lots of small bones in there.

He played with Broken ribs a few years ago, Saku will play.

I've broken bones in my foot and tried to play sports - basketball, hockey. If it is a real break, no way he'll play, all your pressure and weight is on the foot. It's not just a pain thing: your platform is compromised, you can't push off with any power at all. Broken bones in my hand, ribs, whatever, you can work around it.

Poor bastard, it must be killing him, getting injured at this point, in this season of all years. And playing better of late as well.

I read a lot of xrays and can tell you that it is not the swelling that makes a fracture hard to find. It is the sometimes the timing, as was pointed out. But it is often the limitations of the film. If it is tiny, it may be hard to pick up on xray. Hopefully there is nothing there today, but if he is still really sore, they would go looking harder (CAT scan, etc.).

I wouldnt ask your brother any personal medical advice, till he finishes residency ! ^_^

Could it be harder because it's the foot? Lots of small bones in there.

On plain xray, yes, which is why you often hear "inconclusive".

Conference call held. Confirmed it's a broken foot. They said he's out for remainder of regular season ?

Would not say for how long though.

Any ideas what the hell is going on

Seems the habs are in a poker game with the rest of league :)

Edited by jrhabs

Oh crap.

There goes the Habs' season.

Bullshit

The Habs were winning games for half a season when Koivu was doing nothing. Koivu is the 5th scorer on this team

and he is barely above Kostitsyn and Higgins. If this team cannot pick up the slack then they were going to get killed

in the playoffs anyway.

This is an opportunity for others to step up. If everybody is expecting a long playoff run then somebody would have to

step up like Lemieux, Roy, Richer, Skrudland did in 86. Or like Dipietro, Leclair, Dionne did in 93.

1 point guarantees second place. 1 point means they get home ice. If this team cannot step up and replace him,

then they are a hell of a lot further from contention than you all think.

Shitty news, but I don't think Saku will miss many playoff games. The onus will be on the others to step up, because regardless of Saku's performance, we are 0-2 without him in the lineup. In any case, we *will* still clinch the division, and Saku's return will kickstart the real playoff drive.

Bullshit

The Habs were winning games for half a season when Koivu was doing nothing. Koivu is the 5th scorer on this team

and he is barely above Kostitsyn and Higgins. If this team cannot pick up the slack then they were going to get killed

in the playoffs anyway.

Exactly. On the ice it won't have a huge impact. Not as much as Streit's injury.

This is an opportunity for others to step up. If everybody is expecting a long playoff run then somebody would have to

step up like Lemieux, Roy, Richer, Skrudland did in 86. Or like Dipietro, Leclair, Dionne did in 93.

Something tells me Lats and Laps will play above their heads in these playoffs. I also think the kids from last year's Calder Cup -- Price, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Lapierre, maybe Chipchura if Hamilton's eliminated early -- will have a big say in the way the Habs perform.

Something tells me Lats and Laps will play above their heads in these playoffs. I also think the kids from last year's Calder Cup -- Price, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Lapierre, maybe Chipchura if Hamilton's eliminated early -- will have a big say in the way the Habs perform.

Isn't Hamilton all but eliminated already?

Chips will be up if he can help the Habs. Gainey knows that with Price/Halak/Laps etc up with the habs

that the Bulldogs have zero chance.

Don't think it matters if the Dogs are in or out

Well, this is definitely bad news about Koivu, but I get the feeling that His injury might not be that bad. He might have to mis the first two games of the first round but i doubt it,ll be more than that.

Great news about komisarek being back for the start of the Playoffs, and Good news as well about Streit and Latendresse being back for the game tomorrow night!

C'Mon Boys, all we need is one lousy point!

Exactly...

Habs will most likely bring up a bunch of kids once the AHL season is over, for experience if anything. Chipchura is the most likely guy who has a chance of actually playing.

Dunno who else might get called up. Can't break the team's "bubble" neither. I think Chipchura, maybe Locke/Milroy, Ferland, D'Agostini. Maybe Côté. Valentenko could make the Russia team for the WC.

Firstly, I dont think Koivu will miss that much time.

Secondly, of course we can get by without him....but not all the way. If we thought we could go to the cup final (why not, battling for 1st in the east), then we better have him back sooner than later. He's no longer the best player, or even top 3, but he's huge for depth and leadership. We dont want everyone focusing on one line.

We'll be fine for a short period of time, but need him back for the 2nd round IMO (though I think he'll be back in the 1st..)