Koivu out 4-6 weeks

JMMR

Yeah our PP looked great tonight without him (insert sarcasm) This team is not the same without Koivu, it just isn't. Grabs gets pushed around too easily, and laps just doesnt have that instinct on offence. And smoke's, well....somke. It's gonna be real easy for teams just to focus on the big line now if Saks is out for any legnth of time.

It's a team thing, others players will step up or we go down injury happpens.

Crosby missed a month and the team Pens stood.

The PP looked bad for a while now, one game doesn't mean anything. Especielly

if the point men Streit is not there.

And who else can take penalties for holding in the opponent zone?, who can be

shut down any wingers who play with him ?? Life is gonna be so rough withoutn him...

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't Kovalev played C before?

I say break up him and Plekanec, make them #1 and #2 Cs respectively. Give each one of the T/ts, then either Higgins or Ryder on the other wing.

Begin, Smoke, Kostopolous form the grind line, and Grabovski can centre whoever's left and not injured.

I still say call up the farm though. Rest our boys, as long as we get a point somewhere in the next few games, I'll be content. Then come playoffs, a rested Habs squad does what no other team has done in the history of the game...

WINS EVERY GAME 10-0!

Or something like that

"If" he is done for the season, put the "C" on a Canadian boy please. Just to test the theory.

Hope he is well, as poorly as he played this season, he is our second best centre and probably our best faceoff man.

Also, he is a proven playoff performer, unlike most of our young team.

Chipchura.

He was talking for this playoff run. First of all Chipchura needs to be playing with the Habs. Chips would be a terrible choice because he is so young.

He was talking for this playoff run. First of all Chipchura needs to be playing with the Habs. Chips would be a terrible choice because he is so young.

But putting Price as our play off goalie is a great choice?

The Habs really ######ed themselves over this year.

How about the senior member of our forewards, as in longest Habs. Ryder or Begin. I'd go with the Newf, but a Quebecois captain in Begin? Works for me. Remember, first off it is temp, secondly it is Captain not Superstar.

I'd say Breezer, but what's the good of a captain in the pressbox?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

How? We are way ahead of schedule. All the kids are going to get play-off experience. Giving Price the reins was the plan as soon as Gainey traded Huet. It's about the future, cap space, and developing into a constant contender. Which is exactly what we are doing. I don't think this team is f**cked at all. As long as we make it to the second round I will feel this season a huge success. Anything more would be icing on the cake.

As far as the injuries go. It's 2 weeks before play-offs, any bump and bruise will be treated like a major injury and used as an excuse to rest. As far as Brian Skrudland goes, I mean Chips. He is professional, and good enough to come up for the play-offs. I don't think he would hurt the team at all, but I also don't think it will be necessary.

How about the senior member of our forewards, as in longest Habs. Ryder or Begin. I'd go with the Newf, but a Quebecois captain in Begin? Works for me. Remember, first off it is temp, secondly it is Captain not Superstar.

It will be given to Kovy, so he will need to defy the odds, like he has with his play this year.

Gotta love the humour there.

Kovy gets the C and he deserves it. Next in line are Markov and Higgins.

As for Chipchura: there's a reason why he got sent back in the AHL and hasn't been called back ever since. As the season progressed the game got too fast for him. If guys that were over a point per game in the AHL (SK74 and Grabs) can't fill Saku's void; then a guy who's barely getting a point every 2 games (Chips) surely isn't an option.

I mean... Corey Locke should get mentionned before Chipchura. At least Locke is producing in the AHL.

I didn't miss this kind of post in the last 2 weeks...

Comments like that just crack me up (and are why I find most of these "fan" boards close to unbearable when the team faces challenges of any kind). How people can be so negative when we're having our best season in years if not decades really proves that some people have bitching and moaning so ingrained that they've completely forgotten how to cheer (a lot of the whiners should look themselves in the mirror...because I bet they go through life crying poor pitiful me over the most mundane things every day). We're facing our first serious adversity of the year with injuries...hopefully Komi, Steit and Koivu will be back soon, if not...players will need to step up. I for one will judge this season after it's over. IN BOB I TRUST!

I didn't miss this kind of post in the last 2 weeks...

I'm with you Joe...I've been giving the board a wide berth the last couple of weeks as I'm just fed up with these cry babies...not everyone, just "the sky is falling" types. More beer, less deep, depressing thoughts...all whine no fun make Homer go crazy :lol:

Edited by Fanpuck33

Are we seriously in any doubt who deserves the C and who will get it in Saku's absence? It's Kovalev, durrrr. And the whole not Canadian thing is the biggest bull. Our best players, besides Komi and Price, have been European.

Higgins got the A, but has responded with a mediocre to decent season, and am I the only one who has found that he's been mopey all year? Friday night was one of the few times I've seen him visibly happy after a goal, and in post-game interviews he seems negative more often than positive. It's probably no big deal, and this year is a learning experience for him anyways.

centre is probably our weakest position because of how inconsistent and unproven Grabovski is. There's no one else who can really fill an offensive role, and Grabs is better suited to bottom line duties with less responsibility. I don't think we should split up our top line, and Kovalev playing centre hasn't happened yet in Montreal, and I doubt it will. So maybe we could go for two moderately offensive lines after the first line, instead of trying to have a real second line.

Something like:

A Kost - Plex - Kovy

Higgins - Grabovski - S Kost

Latendresse - Lapierre - Ryder

Begin - Smolinski - Kostopolous

The third line in this case would be able to bring more physicality, and a different look for defenses.

Something like:

A Kost - Plex - Kovy

Higgins - Grabovski - S Kost

Latendresse - Lapierre - Ryder

Begin - Smolinski - Kostopolous

The third line in this case would be able to bring more physicality, and a different look for defenses.

On paper that lineup looks very weak...I dont like it

Koivu is a huge loss. No getting around it. On the other hand, he doesn't represent *as big* a loss as he would have in years past - which is all part of the changeover to actually being a top-flight team.

Grabs is no Koivu, but this is a gold-plated opportunity for him. Maybe he can get on a roll and convince the doubters that he's a potentially legit 2nd-line C. He'll get no bigger chance than this.

However, it really falls to the whole roster to pick up for Koivu's absence. Higgins, the Kostytsins, Ryder, etc..

Being a silver-lining type, I do tend to think that these injuries give the Habs a certain opportunity to try to buckle down on D a little more and play a tight-disciplined game. I love this team, but they've won a few too many games on sheer talent rather than work ethic or defensive discipline. (Of course, this is one of the things ya gotta love about 'em!). Nonetheless, bona-fide Cup contenders have those solid habits of work, defence and discipline. A Koivu-less Habs team will quickly realize that it can no longer count on goals appearing just when they need them (c.f. the Buffalo game) and could conceivably improve in other facets of the game to compensate.

Just a thought. ^_^

The only issue I see with that logic is that Sergei still makes junior plays, and those cost goals against, hardly front line material.

By junior plays I mean the blind pass from behind the net to no one causing turnovers, or passing to the slot/through the crease when the play was to cycle or pass to the point. He even tries to beat the entire team at times instead of dumping it in and getting on the forecheck and waiting for support.

Sergei is good and will be even better in the future, but the playoffs at the expense of the team is not the stage to learn these simple plays on.

I don't think he will be there, but Chipchura is a better fit then S.Kostitsyn on the second line centre role. Chips isn't anywhere near as creative or offensive, but he makes the smart plays that don't cost you leads or goals against.

Either way, Koivu means alot more to the team then his point totals. The habs will be in tough if he misses the playoffs.....don't even get me started on Komi and Streit :(

I agree. I know we're not in *as much* trouble as a few years ago when he was out of the lineup against Carolina, but I think ppl still really underestimate his importance to the team. We're not ready to compete regularly without him yet.

Um... Obviously?

Also, Kovalev is the obvious best choice to be captain.

Kovalev will be the captain should Saks not play in the first round. I think all this debating started with a comment on making sure the temp captain sould be canadian. Because canadian captains win Stanley cups. Saks will be there anyway so who cares.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

any news from anywhere on Saku? Weren't tests supposed to be done today? X-rays I believe?

It might take more than a day or two for the swelling to go down sufficiently.. or they might be holding back on the injury report as long as possible.

Saks will be there anyway so who cares.

I tend to agree. As much as I knock Koivu, one of the few things about him that I don't question is his toughness: I think the injury would have to be career-threatening to keep him out of the line-up in the playoffs. He strikes me as the kind of guy who will get a cortisone shot and some freezing and gut it out if at all possible.