Habs vs. Flyers | Game Thread | Game 1

Fanpuck33

I think Ryder and Lats should both play, sit Dandy and either Streit or Lapierre. Don't get me wrong, I love Laps and Streit, but it seems like a better match up to have our scorers out there against a slow Philly defence. (Maybe even put Streit on the blueline...)

Something like this...

Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev

Kosty - Pleks - Kosty

Ryder - Laps or Grabovski - Latendresse

Begin - Smoke - Kostop

Markov- Komisarek

Hamrlik - Streit

Gorges - Boullion

Not only would the boys be fresh, but I think it creates matchup problems for the Flyers.

Just my two cents... big win tonight boys, keep it up.

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

As the game was going on i was thinkin who may get into the lineup as a better fit against Philly. Definitely think Dandy should sit. Thus, Ryder or Lats should be inserted and i was thinkin a Laps, Ryder, Lats line for Saturday with Streit moving back to D taking the spot of Breezer or even Bouillon(most of you may think i'm crazy for this). Don't really think it's time to insert Grabs into the lineup. Maybe O'byrne for Breezer, but then only one of Ryder or Lats would go in.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are we talking about Grabovski here ?? the worst thing that could happen is to see him play.

he's alredy too soft for regular season, how would it be in the playoffs.

:clap::clap::clap:

I'd rather bring the #23 down from the rafters and dress good ol' Bob than watch that waterbug Grabovski.

Good start to the game.....got a bit unlucky with the posts and the breezer tip-in.........seems like the flyers game plan was to cycle us to death and then hit the point man for a shot that would hopefully (for them) get deflected in.............hatcher is extremely slow; plex just skated by him on the semi-breakaway...........breezer did make a nice pass to set up the Kosty penalty shot.........regardless, it's time OB got some minutes.............don't even think about replacing Laps with Grabs........wouldn't mind seeing Ryder or Gui take over for Dandy.......price had trouble with his catching glove all night (too many rebounds)..........he can and will play better! GHG!!

Breezer is disgusting. Get him out of there please Carbo.

:clap:

Useless as titz on a bull out there defensively.

What a wild finish...the noise in the Bell centre on Kovy's tying goal was incredible.

I realize that Breezer did not have his best game tonite, but i don't understand why Bouillon always seems to get a pass. Is it because he's 5' 8'' and he has the odd big hit. In the last few years, the Cube has also made so many bad passes and turned the puck over. Don't get me wrong, Bouillon has had a decent year, but in my book him and Breezer are about the same as they are 5th or 6th d-men who bring a couple of different things to the table and each of them has his downfalls.

That being said, as i stated earlier if both Ryder and Lats are inserted than Streit moves to D, and either Breezer or Bouillon should be sat down. Or if Carbo thinks O'byrne deserves a chance than he should come in for either one of them.

Anyways, I will cheer for whomever is in the Habs lineup. Just want the best team possible.

I'm already very pumped for game 2!

:ghg:

Btw, who do you think will win the other game 1's tomorrow?

My bets are Sharks, and Rags.

The only bad part about Kostopoulos scoring is that I have to stop each time to remember how to spell his name. It really messes me up! :P

That line has been all they need to be and then some. Plus, I just love being able to say "KOSTOPOULESTED" along with "KOVALEVELED"

Both teams were not playing their best hockey. We shouldn't read too much in to that game because it was so sloppy, bizzarre and flukey.

Some of the worst passing I have seen from our boys in a long, long time. I wonder what their passing % was?

The flyers are letting us hit the neutral zone with tons of speed, something that Boston did not let us do. If the Habs are back on their game and the flyers continue to let us skate then the flyers are doomed.

I agree with those of you who are calling for Brisebois and Dandenault to sit. I think Dandy has struggled all playoffs long. It is interesting that he hardly played at all in the second half of the season but now he is a "go to guy". Brisebois is not used to playing this much. He is either tired or just not able to keep up anymore.

I realize that Breezer did not have his best game tonite, but i don't understand why Bouillon always seems to get a pass. Is it because he's 5' 8'' and he has the odd big hit. In the last few years, the Cube has also made so many bad passes and turned the puck over. Don't get me wrong, Bouillon has had a decent year, but in my book him and Breezer are about the same as they are 5th or 6th d-men who bring a couple of different things to the table and each of them has his downfalls.

That being said, as i stated earlier if both Ryder and Lats are inserted than Streit moves to D, and either Breezer or Bouillon should be sat down. Or if Carbo thinks O'byrne deserves a chance than he should come in for either one of them.

Anyways, I will cheer for whomever is in the Habs lineup. Just want the best team possible.

true, but we're now talking about last few GAMES. Bouillon is ok, Breezer is not. Seriously, Brisebois was awful in game 7 and the same yesterday...

true, but we're now talking about last few GAMES. Bouillon is ok, Breezer is not. Seriously, Brisebois was awful in game 7 and the same yesterday...

Actually, I thought he played very well last night. Yes he tipped one in, if he didn't it was being slammed into the open net. He made the right play and got unlucky. His end to end rush in the 3rd was brilliant and he finnished it with a nice pass around the net. You can hate him as much as you want, he isn't that bad. I hated him at4.4mil, I have had no problem with him for his price this year. He is what he is and has earned his pay.

If he is benched I have to change my avatar!!! :lol:

We were the better team.

We are the better team.

But the bounces didn't go our way tonight and we still won. Some hit posts, a penalty shot miss... and scoring in our own net.

Seriously, is anyone really worried?

Start the bench Brisebois thread!

I started it last round, and said despite his ok play, he would be a liability in the long run. Most got on and bashed me. I know who they are and would expect some of them to change their tune some time soon. Unfortunately we are going to see alot more of his poor play.

On a positive note...WHAT A F*CKING GAME. :clap: Wow. Play our game for 60 minutes a night and this will be over in 5.

I started it last round, and said despite his ok play, he would be a liability in the long run. Most got on and bashed me. I know who they are and would expect some of them to change their tune some time soon. Unfortunately we are going to see alot more of his poor play.

On a positive note...WHAT A F*CKING GAME. :clap: Wow. Play our game for 60 minutes a night and this will be over in 5.

I doubt Brisebois is going to be benched, Carbo is a guy who trusts his veterans even if it means losing by them and he has a lot of faith in Brisebois. The goal yesterday was not Brisebois' fault - well, it was, but you can't really blame him, he was making the right play. Had the puck been half an inch more to the right and we all would have been talking about what a great defensive play he made. It was just unfortunate that it squeezed inside our post.

And yes, what a f*cking game. We didn't play our best (though better than we did against Bruins) but we still managed to win the game and I've been saying it all year - that is the difference between the great teams and the good teams in the new NHL: the great teams can win games even when they are the second best team in the arena. My favourite part of the win is that our last two goals were in huge, pressure situations so the players always have amazing celebrations after they're scored. I love the sight of the benches emptying as everyone runs toward Kovalev or Kostopoulos. Those goals bring teams together.

How about Carbo with the 4th line on the ice in the 1st minute of OT.....genius?

Yeah, that is another case of Carbo having a lot of faith in his veterans. He will often go with this line if there's a whistle with 30 seconds left on a PP or to start a period. These guys always respond and always create scoring opportunities even with half the talent of our other lines.

Our one random line is the third line with Streit, Lapierre and Dandenault. This has really become our floater line and despite the fact that Streit is a useful guy on our PPand Lapierre on our PK, this line really doesn't provide much at even strength. I don't think Gui will really change much but it would be nice to see him or Ryder back in the lineup for Dandenault because that line has no identity whatsoever.

I doubt Brisebois is going to be benched, Carbo is a guy who trusts his veterans even if it means losing by them and he has a lot of faith in Brisebois. The goal yesterday was not Brisebois' fault - well, it was, but you can't really blame him, he was making the right play. Had the puck been half an inch more to the right and we all would have been talking about what a great defensive play he made. It was just unfortunate that it squeezed inside our post.

And yes, what a f*cking game. We didn't play our best (though better than we did against Bruins) but we still managed to win the game and I've been saying it all year - that is the difference between the great teams and the good teams in the new NHL: the great teams can win games even when they are the second best team in the arena. My favourite part of the win is that our last two goals were in huge, pressure situations so the players always have amazing celebrations after they're scored. I love the sight of the benches emptying as everyone runs toward Kovalev or Kostopoulos. Those goals bring teams together.

Yeah, that is another case of Carbo having a lot of faith in his veterans. He will often go with this line if there's a whistle with 30 seconds left on a PP or to start a period. These guys always respond and always create scoring opportunities even with half the talent of our other lines.

Our one random line is the third line with Streit, Lapierre and Dandenault. This has really become our floater line and despite the fact that Streit is a useful guy on our PPand Lapierre on our PK, this line really doesn't provide much at even strength. I don't think Gui will really change much but it would be nice to see him or Ryder back in the lineup for Dandenault because that line has no identity whatsoever.

Yes, I agree he probably wont be benched, unfortunately, and this is why I say we'll be seeing a lot more of his awful play. I mean certainly he makes some good outlet passes...but his defensive play far outweighs this...in a bad way. I feel Carbo's faith in him is blind, and we should be getting O'Byrne some much needed experience.....certainly no risk in this swap IMO.

As for the 4th line, I do like Carbo's faith in them. Besides that, I actually feel they could have been our best line last night...especially lined up against Philly's bottom lines. Good call on getting them out there and rolling 4 lines.

I don't get the O'Byrne / Breezy debate...

Breezy is in our 5/6 pair. He has 5 point (4th on the team in the playoffs),. a game winning goal, and is a minus 1 over 8 games.

O'Bynre played 2 games, zero points, minus 1.

Even Carbo said that what Breezy did was not a bad play, just bad luck. So take that away and he has 5 points and is even.

All I can figure is that his name is Brisbois and for some people, he could be leading the team in goals and be plus 5, they will still complain about him.

I am far more worried about Markov then I am about Breezy. Markov should be leading the defense corps in pointa, but he has been terrible. Yes, he made a good shot on net to setup the goal last night... first sign of life is you ask me. Note that Breezy had about 4 of those nice shots last night.

I think people need to chill. Breezy has not been costing us games, in fact, he has given us some speed and clutch points when we need them. I suspect he will get a game or two off as the playoffs progress, especially if we are ahead in a series and he is feeling tired, but last night he was one of the faster defencemen out there. He didn't look tired at all. He will be used sparingly, but I see no reason to bench him.

gentlemen, what games are you watching ???

Breezer is SLOW, had like 10-15 long passes who resulted in turnovers or icing so far in the playoffs (his 1rst pass was supposed to be his main asset), he is soft, and i feel nervous every time he hits the ice.

Yeah he may have 4 pts and a gw goal, but i think his lack of defensive skill is somewhat weakering (does that word exists??) the Hamrlik AWESOME play.

I'd bench him anytime in favor of Streit or O'Byrne.

I don't get the O'Byrne / Breezy debate...

Breezy is in our 5/6 pair. He has 5 point (4th on the team in the playoffs),. a game winning goal, and is a minus 1 over 8 games.

O'Bynre played 2 games, zero points, minus 1.

Stats don't mean shit. Watch the games and you will soon realize Breez is washed up and turns the puck over twice a shift.

gentlemen, what games are you watching ???

Breezer is SLOW, had like 10-15 long passes who resulted in turnovers or icing so far in the playoffs (his 1rst pass was supposed to be his main asset), he is soft, and i feel nervous every time he hits the ice.

Yeah he may have 4 pts and a gw goal, but i think his lack of defensive skill is somewhat weakering (does that word exists??) the Hamrlik AWESOME play.

I'd bench him anytime in favor of Streit or O'Byrne.

I'm with you 100%. My only question is....where were you when I was being bashed in the Brisebois thread by about 8 people?? ^_^^_^

There certainly does seem to be some split about his value right now. The only way I can explain it is that those in favor of him are looking at some nice passes he makes, and of course his point total. This is also being amplified by Markov's slump.

But those of us that see his terrible and worrisome play are not crazy. He makes frequent, risky, and ill-advised plays.

The upside with Streit is obvious...just look at the year he had.

The upside with O'Byrne is that he is young and can learn. He is also a right shot. He is also big and tough...much more physical than Breezer (who is pretty much anti-physical). I think we will be able to use him sooner or later. I just hope it's sooner.