What does Carey Price need to regain his form?

REV-G

I wonder if this team misses Ryan Walter more than we might think. Walter was hired as some sort of special motivational therapist (or something) last season - then he got headhunted by the Canucks. In short, we had a professional on staff whose role was to facilitate a positive attitude and some sort of psychological mentorship among the players. Given the difference in psyche between this year's team and last year's, it's at least worth asking the question.

More broadly, are the Habs providing the young players, especially, with all the resources to cope, emotionally, psychologically, etc., with the craziness that's happened to them in the last 2-3 years? Kids from northern BC or wherever suddenly becoming celebrities and millionaires, having a city at their feet, and facing tremendous amounts of pressure to perform? You'd think the veterans would do it...but maybe having a couple of counsellors around or Ryan Walter-types is in order?

Just thinking out loud.

It's possible. Last season was the only season in a long time where our team avoided a disastrous midseason slump. It was also the only season we had Walter on board. But I think it's a bit of a stretch to think that he alone could make such a huge difference. Also, it wouldn't be very hard for Gainey to find someone else to fill that role, would it? He'd probably have done it by now had he felt that it was so important to our team. (Not that Gainey's opinion needs to be conclusive...)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Price need to regain his form?

Maybe a good late night party to rejuvenate him. Something with lots of alcohol and loose women, you know, to get him refreshed for the games ahead. :)

What does Price need to regain his form?

Maybe a good late night party to rejuvenate him. Something with lots of alcohol and loose women, you know, to get him refreshed for the games ahead. :)

Well, I was told way back that Gump Worsley used to drink before games, so maybe you have something there. Then again, with that gear and no mask, I would want to dull the pain too. When I started in goal I wore the old cotton arm protectors and an Ed Giacomin mask, ouch. Even in my 30's as a goalie I used to have ugly yellow and black bruises all over from shots finding the holes in my gear. I dulled the pain with Ibupropin 400s....

As a teen I played a AAA Midget game while still not completely over an acid trip from the night before.

Got a shutout, the game was played in slow motion with tracers behind every shot. It was very strange but I could actually see the puck floating in on slap shots. No, I don't recommend this as his answer. It was 1980 and we weren't as drug aware like we are now.

Leave the women alone night before the games, sex kills your drive, do that after the game, not before.

First off, Price hasn't looked great, I will admit, but the Buffalo game was hardly his fault. The first two goals were not his fault, he had no chance on either, especially the first, it was a bad bounce right to Roy. If the team quit because of Price's demeanour after a goal, then we have bigger problems than Carey Price.

Lets face it, the team has hung Price out to dry for a lot of this bad stretch he has had. It's not all Carey's fault. With that said, Price hasn't been making saves he shouldn't, which is what you need a goalie to do. Price has no confidence right now, as long as the team in front of him plays as bad as they have and gives up as many quality scoring chances as they have, he won't be getting it back anytime soon.

I don't see any need to do something with Price right now, Jaro is playing well so lets ride him. Carey will get it figured out, he is still our future, one bad stretch over an otherwise stellar, albeit short, career does not mean we need to get rid of him. Let Carey play the backup role for a while and hopefully he figures things out.

As for the partying, I don't know what the big deal is, these are young NHL players with a lot of money, THEY ARE GOING TO PARTY, heck I still party and I am married with one child and another on the way, the only difference is pictures of me don't get emailed around and analysed to death. Get over the partying boys, it's going to happen.

Jaro is playing well, Carey is struggling, ride Jaro for now. The team in front of those two is a bigger concern to me, we need to play better.

It's true. The most effective way to get Price out of his slump will be for the team to actually play decent defence on a regular basis. We talk a lot about goalies carrying teams, but sometimes a goalie needs the team D to carry him a bit. The way the Habs are hanging their goalies out to dry is disgusting.

It's true. The most effective way to get Price out of his slump will be for the team to actually play decent defence on a regular basis. We talk a lot about goalies carrying teams, but sometimes a goalie needs the team D to carry him a bit. The way the Habs are hanging their goalies out to dry is disgusting.

:clap: Make him feel like the team is with him a bit. Shut down the big line for a period or two, block 2 shots on the same shift, nail a guy who comes in his crease, etc. Don't leave him alone, he needs his teamates right now as much as they need him.

So the conclusion on Cary Price in this thread seems to be that:

(a) We cannot send Price to the AHL because of waiver rules, unless he gets hurt and sits out 5 games, then we could send him down for a conditioning stint.

(b) Carey needs much more help from his defence, so he's not "hung out" on his own with little support. So his teammates have to make a very concerted

effort to help out defensively.

© Go with the hot hand, Halak, and hope that Price regains the top form he had before his injury.

(d) He has the talent, it didn't just disappear, so give this young goalie who has excelled at every level, a change to rebound much the way Halak has.

(e) We need to be patient and give this young goalie a chance to mature, develop and work his way through waht is probably his first "tough patch" as a pro.

To me this all seems logical and perhaps the only way to handle Carey Price and I think these answer the question this thread asked, "What does Carey Price need to regain his form?"

I think he's being a bit of a sulky baby. I'd bring Patrick Roy in to smack him around a bit, maybe toughen him up some.

Okay, that probably wouldn't help him regain his form...I just like the thought of him getting smacked around a bit because of how shitty he's been. :)

Now that his form looks good...

The question that kills...

Sould Halak get the net against the Oilers tuesday ?

I say yes.

Carey has won a game not a number one job tonight.

They wouldn't have played Price tonight period had they not wanted him to regain the #1 job. It's tough for Halak because there's absolutely no reason why he isn't playing, but I think that now that Price is back, he's back - there's no use recreating a goalie controversy once the starter's regained his game.

Halak should ask for a trade after the season. It's unfortunate but he happens to be caught behind the most promising young goalie in years, he'll never get a fair shot.

They wouldn't have played Price tonight period had they not wanted him to regain the #1 job. It's tough for Halak because there's absolutely no reason why he isn't playing, but I think that now that Price is back, he's back - there's no use recreating a goalie controversy once the starter's regained his game.

Halak should ask for a trade after the season. It's unfortunate but he happens to be caught behind the most promising young goalie in years, he'll never get a fair shot.

I'm sure that's the advice Halak's agent will give him.

• 1 month later...

I think he may be headed in the right direction. A few key saves that make announcers go "WOW!" A couple of solid outings in Boston and to be named one of the three stars in both games. A big Kick Ass shut-out to bring back to Montreal followed by yet another stellar performance in overtime at the Bell should do it.

A string of events like this will put him on a high horse again. The only thing I fear is "The Theo Disease"

Capable of brilliant flashes but far and few between. I love Price but I keep reading "regain his form" threads everywhere just like the Theo days and it's starting to make me feel "Is there a form to regain?" Maybe this is it.

I hope I'm completely friggin wrong.........

GO PRICE GO!!!!!!!!!!

KOIVU FOR PLAY-OFF MVP!!!!!!!

A good defense in front of him. Come on everyone, this is that difficult to figure out. These goalies are hung out to dry most every night.

Cut down the shots and the tap in goals and he'll be fine.

He needs to admit that he has alot to learn.

Accept the fact that he needs to put in a better effort.

Admit that he can't take the league for granted.

Jose didnt learn and thats why he is a bust Carey wakeup and we want you to succeed

How do yo know his mindset?

Its plain to anyone that reads the news from his answers and to what has been said by gainey and Carbo about him.

and Journalists that follow the team.

I think he may be headed in the right direction. A few key saves that make announcers go "WOW!" A couple of solid outings in Boston and to be named one of the three stars in both games. A big Kick Ass shut-out to bring back to Montreal followed by yet another stellar performance in overtime at the Bell should do it.

A string of events like this will put him on a high horse again. The only thing I fear is "The Theo Disease"

Capable of brilliant flashes but far and few between. I love Price but I keep reading "regain his form" threads everywhere just like the Theo days and it's starting to make me feel "Is there a form to regain?" Maybe this is it.

I hope I'm completely friggin wrong.........

GO PRICE GO!!!!!!!!!!

KOIVU FOR PLAY-OFF MVP!!!!!!!

don't worry about it you are friggin wrong. :lol: he is a young guy who knows he has a lot to learn yet. he has been put in a bad spot as a young goalie with a team that allows 40 shots a night what goalie will look good witht that number of shots for long. I recall dryden got 15 maybe 20 on a tough nite.

He is not ready to dominate yet. But there is no goaltender in history who was ready at 21.

But the gamble was that he could replicate Huet's performance, for the most part he has, he struggled upon

return from injury and it lead to a crisis of confidence. But he has not been exposed. HE IS NOT JIM CAREY.

Those who suggest he is are panicking and are lazy.

When he is 23-24 he will begin to understand the league, familiarity with the league will help in his anticipation

and his ability to track the puck, he will know how to deal with adversity, frustration as he will have a reference

point. Right now he is relying on positioning and reflexes, he is flying by the seat of his pants.

Look at Fleury, at 21 he looked absolutely lost. At 24 and 25 he began to figure things out.

At best we hope he can catch lightning in a bottle like Ward or Roy. They struggled to replicate that success for

2 years. When their maturity caught up to their ability the light clicked on.

When the light bulb goes off, everybody will know.

I think it is silly to punish him for not meeting unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Wamsley01

He is not ready to dominate yet. But there is no goaltender in history who was ready at 21.

But the gamble was that he could replicate Huet's performance, for the most part he has, he struggled upon

return from injury and it lead to a crisis of confidence. But he has not been exposed. HE IS NOT JIM CAREY.

Those who suggest he is are panicking and are lazy.

When he is 23-24 he will begin to understand the league, familiarity with the league will help in his anticipation

and his ability to track the puck, he will know how to deal with adversity, frustration as he will have a reference

point. Right now he is relying on positioning and reflexes, he is flying by the seat of his pants.

Look at Fleury, at 21 he looked absolutely lost. At 24 and 25 he began to figure things out.

At best we hope he can catch lightning in a bottle like Ward or Roy. They struggled to replicate that success for

2 years. When their maturity caught up to their ability the light clicked on.

When the light bulb goes off, everybody will know.

I think it is silly to punish him for not meeting unrealistic expectations.

we may not agree all the time wamsley me boy but we do agree often and this one of those times that you have stated it exactlyas it is. great post

Edited by habs rule