Finish this saying as it applies to the New Canadiens

Colin

To you from failing hands we ___________________.

Be yours to ____________.

A) toss the hot potato

B) drop it as fast as you can and get the hell outta Montreal.

Cute!

But can we please stop *assuming* all our players are going to run screaming elsewhere at the first opportunity? I take the punishment as it comes, not as hysterics imagine it might come.

A) toss the hot potato

B) drop it as fast as you can and get the hell outta Montreal.

sounds right :(

Some players reminded me of Last-Season-Ryder...

with their can't-wait-to-leave-montreal-sarcastical-grin

Cute!

But can we please stop *assuming* all our players are going to run screaming elsewhere at the first opportunity? I take the punishment as it comes, not as hysterics imagine it might come.

Here is the thing that kills me about people and the way they view other people's lives.

You don't just get up and move when things get tough. Some players have created lives for themselves,

invested in homes, businesses, their kids may be happy, their wives may be from the area etc etc.

So because the media was mean they are going to uproot a life they may have known for 4-5 years

and just head somewhere else? Sure it happens, but it usually happens because of dollars and cents.

If a player can get fair compensation they will usually remain, but guys like Ryder and Streit were never

getting those contracts from Montreal. Souray left FOR family, if he had been with his wife still, maybe he

would have stayed.

These are people, not many people enjoy uprooting their family unless necessary.

Don't expect a mass exodus of players, don't expect the team to be radically different than this year.

Gainey is not going to gut the majority of the team and bring in unknown characters.

I expect that he resigns Kovalev to a one year deal, allowing him flexibility for when the cap drops.

It will give him another season to find a suitable replacement, it is obvious AK46 is not ready for that pressure.

If Komisarek smells $6M, he is gone. He is not a $6M defenseman, and there are better bargains out there in which

you can mold a more competent D overall.

Koivu for a discount, and a revised 3rd line checking role (ala Yzerman, Brind'amour, Modano)

Tanguay? No clue, but he seems kind of weak and the nonsense that has gone on might tempt him to leave.

He has zero roots, so it will not be a tough life decision.

Boullion and Brisebois = gone.

Lang, Schneider and Dandenault could return, but only at a discount.

Pleks and Higgins DO NOT deserve a raise, and if I am Gainey I try to lock them into deflated longer term deals.

Also keep Higgins and Koivu on the third line and try to mold them as a shutdown line.

Then you use A. Prospects or B. UFA $$ to get a number one centre, thus bumping Pleks to #2.

They have $$ to spend, and all of my speculation is out the window if Gainey knows who is responsible for the civil unrest.

But all the work will be for nothing if he cannot coax more maturity out of Price, the TIT brothers and the young veterans.

If that young promising core does not emerge, then it will not matter if they bring in Lecavalier, they will

be back fighting for 8th again.

Edited by Wamsley01

Here is the thing that kills me about people and the way they view other people's lives.

You don't just get up and move when things get tough. Some players have created lives for themselves,

invested in homes, businesses, their kids may be happy, their wives may be from the area etc etc.

So because the media was mean they are going to uproot a life they may have known for 4-5 years

and just head somewhere else? Sure it happens, but it usually happens because of dollars and cents.

If a player can get fair compensation they will usually remain, but guys like Ryder and Streit were never

getting those contracts from Montreal. Souray left FOR family, if he had been with his wife still, maybe he

would have stayed.

These are people, not many people enjoy uprooting their family unless necessary.

Don't expect a mass exodus of players, don't expect the team to be radically different than this year.

Gainey is not going to gut the majority of the team and bring in unknown characters.

I expect that he resigns Kovalev to a one year deal, allowing him flexibility for when the cap drops.

It will give him another season to find a suitable replacement, it is obvious AK46 is not ready for that pressure.

If Komisarek smells $6M, he is gone. He is not a $6M defenseman, and there are better bargains out there in which

you can mold a more competent D overall.

Koivu for a discount, and a revised 3rd line checking role (ala Yzerman, Brind'amour, Modano)

Tanguay? No clue, but he seems kind of weak and the nonsense that has gone on might tempt him to leave.

He has zero roots, so it will not be a tough life decision.

Boullion and Brisebois = gone.

Lang, Schneider and Dandenault could return, but only at a discount.

Pleks and Higgins DO NOT deserve a raise, and if I am Gainey I try to lock them into deflated longer term deals.

Also keep Higgins and Koivu on the third line and try to mold them as a shutdown line.

Then you use A. Prospects or B. UFA $$ to get a number one centre, thus bumping Pleks to #2.

They have $$ to spend, and all of my speculation is out the window if Gainey knows who is responsible for the civil unrest.

But all the work will be for nothing if he cannot coax more maturity out of Price, the TIT brothers and the young veterans.

If that young promising core does not emerge, then it will not matter if they bring in Lecavalier, they will

be back fighting for 8th again.

Wamsley, you can't be serious about keeping Plex. Even last year in his fine season, he was horrible in the playoffs. He's now had a whole year of horrible, plus another playoff round of nothingness. A zero - or rather a negative - who can't be counted on and should be dealt immediately. Anyone who saw his antics in game two has to seriously wonder about this guy.

I also think Lapierre is a better option than Koivu as a 3rd-line checking ctr. at this point. Koivu would have to come back for 2.5-3 mil if he's to be on the 3rd line. Minny will have cash to spend and needs after they lose Gaborik.

Agree about Komisarek, Higgins, etc.

So did you complete the saying yet? To you from failing hands...

I hope PK Suban, can come up and be the puck moving defenceman that we need, I know he's young, but he showed passion during juniors and international competition. Third pairing D, and spot on the top PP would be interesting.

A) pass what's left of the greatest legacy in professional sports

B) further tarnish the shit out of it with mediocre talent and a lack of heart

Edited by sbhatt

Where does everyone get these fantasies that Komisarek is going to ask for, or even deserves $5 to $6 Million a year?

Not gonna happen. If Gainey gives him $4 million I'd be shocked. Absolutley no offense, and seemed to fall apart when his partner, and the team MVP Markov was hurt.

And he keeps getting tuned up by guys smaller then him.

PK Subban is going to need sometime in Hamilton. He needs some time to grow and learn.

Edited by kaos

Where does everyone get these fantasies that Komisarek is going to ask for, or even deserves $5 to $6 Million a year?

Not gonna happen. If Gainey gives him $4 million I'd be shocked. Absolutley no offense, and seemed to fall apart when his partner, and the team MVP Markov was hurt.

And he keeps getting tuned up by guys smaller then him.

PK Subban is going to need sometime in Hamilton. He needs some time to grow and learn.

Would you have thought that some GM would offer Ryder 4 million$ per year after the lousy season he had last year?? My guess is no, and look at the sweet deal he got!

Mark my words, If we don't sign Komi by july 1st, some fvc.king moron of a GM(cough cough BrianBurke, cough cough)will offer him 4.5 or even 4.75 million$ per season over 4 years. He will do it just so we have to spend more money to keep him. If the habs decide to let him go, well his team gets better while ours doesn't!

I don't care what some of you might think about Komisarek, but the fact remains that he's a good stay at home defensive d-man. He blocks tons of shots and dishes out a shitload of bodychecks. He has good leadership skills and has character. He is willing to defend his team mates, even though he's not a talented fighter. (maybe BGL can teach him a few tricks!?) Komi had a bad season, he's the first one who'll admit it. He was reluctant to use his shoulder injury as a reason why he sucked this year, but it doesn't change the fact that he was injured. Also, it was clear that the fact that he still doesn't have a contract was something that bothered him, maybe if he did have a contract, he'd be more concentrated on his game?

Trust me, if we do re-sign him to a decent contract, he'll be much better next year.

Edited by Habsfan

Yea, Ryder is a 30 goal scorer. I'm not surprised at all. I would be more surprised if Komi got 4 mill. Got to go with Kaos on this one.

What do you mean sticking up for team mates? pushing people after the whistle? That's not tough. That's chicken sh##. He was tough 2 years ago. You don't pay someone for what they did 2 years ago.

Leadership? Again if this team had any leadership maybe they would have showed up the second half of the season.

Thisd team needs leadership, not people saying they are leaders.

Would you have thought that some GM would offer Ryder 4 million$ per year after the lousy season he had last year?? My guess is no, and look at the sweet deal he got!

Abso######inglutley I thought somebody would give him that much money. And I thought Steit would to well also, however I didn't think his would be for $4 Million.

I would be hard pressed if I were Bob Gainey to give Komisarek $4million. And not a cent more. I would give him a 2 year deal for maybe, maybe $7.5 Million, then look at him again when Hamrliks contract comes off the books. Hes not worth it. And if he thinks he is, then let him walk. Hes next to worthless against Boston anyways, and its embarrassing watching him get schooled by Lucic

Abso######inglutley I thought somebody would give him that much money. And I thought Steit would to well also, however I didn't think his would be for $4 Million.

I would be hard pressed if I were Bob Gainey to give Komisarek $4million. And not a cent more. I would give him a 2 year deal for maybe, maybe $7.5 Million, then look at him again when Hamrliks contract comes off the books. Hes not worth it. And if he thinks he is, then let him walk. Hes next to worthless against Boston anyways, and its embarrassing watching him get schooled by Lucic

He might only deserve 4M but he's going to get offered more than that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes something like 6 million a year for several seasons. Why wouldn't Florida, Atlanta or NYI do it? We can say goodbye to Komi. We might be able to bring in a decent replacement though. Derek Morris would be cool.

He might only deserve 4M but he's going to get offered more than that. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes something like 6 million a year for several seasons. Why wouldn't Florida, Atlanta or NYI do it? We can say goodbye to Komi. We might be able to bring in a decent replacement though. Derek Morris would be cool.

i see no reason why we can't give the guy 4 to 5.5 million a year. he's proven he's tough, he fights, he hits, he cares about the team and the city. he's well spoken, and clearly has leadership qualities. 4 months ago everyone was calling him the next captain for christ's sake. he played half the year injured.

he is also very young as far as d-men go.

his guy's shoes are NOT easily filled.

i see no reason why we can't give the guy 4 to 5.5 million a year. he's proven he's tough, he fights, he hits, he cares about the team and the city. he's well spoken, and clearly has leadership qualities. 4 months ago everyone was calling him the next captain for christ's sake. he played half the year injured.

he is also very young as far as d-men go.

his guy's shoes are NOT easily filled.

Thank you very much! :clap:

Now that Komi has matured and is about to give us the best years of his career(age 27 to 33), we wanna run him out of town for a difference of 1/2 a million or even 1 million$?? :rolleyes:

I don't think it'll be a half million dollar difference. Like I said, he can probably get 6 million from somebody. And it isn't running him out of town - his contract's expiring. We're losing his rights. We can only make Komi an offer, it's his choice if he goes or stays.

6 mill? Come on, that would make him a top 10 paid D man. There is no way he is a top 10 guy or should be paid as such.

The cap is going down, I don't even think Streit made that much and he scores a ton of points.

Boumeester will only get 7-8 mil tops.