Kovalev offered $6M for 1 year?

Psycing

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/5/26/88675...a-fedorov-going

According to Russian media reports, Alexei Kovalev has been offered a one-year, $6-million by the Canadiens and could be the team's captain next season. Both he and Saku Koivu are unrestricted free agents so this is possible and $6-million would be a raise from the $4.5-million a season deal he was playing on.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised. Gainey has a habit of over paying and he might be desperate to sign a few key people. I also would not be surprised if he picks Kovalev over Koivu. Kovalev has more potential and maybe due for a good season again.

At least it is a one year deal offer.

I'm not going to crap my pants over a Russian report. But IF it's true then you really do have to wonder if Gainey has lost his grip - or else, has thrown in the towel on next season.

The disturbing thing is that I think everyone had assumed Kovy would be signed at a discount rate, especially after his end-of-season declarations that this is where he wants to be. If a 36-year-old with an erratic performance history who explicitly loves it in Montreal can't be signed at reasonable rates by the Habs - then who can??

Anyway: too soon to panic.

As for Koivu vs. Kovalev: given our inability to attract UFAs, I'd like to keep both at moderate rates, but if those rates can't be had, then it gets interesting. I used to say, keep Koivu, let headcase Kovalev walk (much as I love Kovy). But while Koivu could thrive for a year or two in an optimal situation (e.g., being second banana behind his brother in a city that will probably forgive so-so performance in the name of brotherly love), and while I'm sure he will still raise his game at key times, he is *clearly* in decline, and with no obvious successor he'd still be the #1 C here. There's nothing more painful than a declining player still thinking and acting like a team 'star,' and still getting that ice time.

Kovalev, on the other hand, is the player who attracts most of the opposition checkers and consumes most of the opposition game plan against the Habs, and shows fewer *obvious* signs of decline than Koivu. As long as he is around, in theory at least, our young players should have more room in which to flourish. Plus the fans love him and he gives us a dangerous X-factor every night. Strangely, then, I've moved over to the 'keep Kovy over Koivu' position.

The only thing is: with no Koivu, our situation at C becomes the very worst in hockey. If it's not already.

Interesting times...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yea, that would be disturbing giving some one a raise after he didn't even play well enough to earn his last contract.

I will definitely be disapointed if the team doesn't change significantly over the offseason.

Balls. No way this is true. Bored soccer writers?

Bob: "Hey Kovy, after vacationing from November to January, taking it like a man when I 'benched' you and leading us in scoring in the playoffs, I think you need a raise and the 'C'. Hey, Higgins, get back here with my stash!"

The same report actually has $6m as the lowball figure, saying it's between $6m and $7.5m. It also states that Bob is offering Komisarek $4m a year, which he's scoffing at.

I doubt that a Russian paper was able to obtain all of this information, and have it be accurate.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?prev=...history_state0=

The same report actually has $6m as the lowball figure, saying it's between $6m and $7.5m. It also states that Bob is offering Komisarek $4m a year, which he's scoffing at.

I doubt that a Russian paper was able to obtain all of this information, and have it be accurate.

and that, before any montreal media?!

yeah right.

YEah, in these economic times Bob is going to offer the NHLs most enigmatic player a 50% increase in his salary? NOT

Man, I thought the Monteal media was dumb. Is this like guy like the Bruce Garrioch of Russia?

When I read the title of this thread, I assumed that one of the KHL teams had made a big offer to lure Kovalev back to Russia :rolleyes:

So Gainey is going to pay a 36 year old MORE than he has ever earned in his career coming off a season

in which he had to send him home, and then offer $4M to a 26 year old UFA?

And TSN/Sportsnet picked this up and ran it along their ticker? :rolleyes:

So Gainey is going to pay a 36 year old MORE than he has ever earned in his career coming off a season

in which he had to send him home, and then offer $4M to a 26 year old UFA?

And TSN/Sportsnet picked this up and ran it along their ticker? :rolleyes:

Now on the front NHL page of TSN. No mention on RDS. What a bunch of clowns.

Forget the fact this comes from a Russian newspaper - about as reliable as a Maserati in Siberia - and forget the fact that offering $6M to someone who is coming off one of the most pathetic displays imaginable this past season (hello! - the GM benched him!) is ludicrous, but...

... does that leave us with Plex, Lapierre and..........Chipper? as our centres? Anyone else find that patently laughable?

I mean, if this turns out to be true, and while we all have opinions, none of us can be certain it isn't, then what does that say about where this team is going? We're offering Kovalev the captaincy (someone who works less than 50% of the time) and a raise? A raise? For what, exactly?

If the time has come to move on from Koivu, so be it. But let's at least have a plan on how to have a centre better than Nancy Plekanec! And Kovalev as captain? That's plain embarassing. If that happens, I have to wonder if Mickey Mouse is starting to run the show.

And $6M+? REALLY? That's atrocious man management.

Forget the fact this comes from a Russian newspaper - about as reliable as a Maserati in Siberia - and forget the fact that offering $6M to someone who is coming off one of the most pathetic displays imaginable this past season (hello! - the GM benched him!) is ludicrous, but...

... does that leave us with Plex, Lapierre and..........Chipper? as our centres? Anyone else find that patently laughable?

I mean, if this turns out to be true, and while we all have opinions, none of us can be certain it isn't, then what does that say about where this team is going? We're offering Kovalev the captaincy (someone who works less than 50% of the time) and a raise? A raise? For what, exactly?

If the time has come to move on from Koivu, so be it. But let's at least have a plan on how to have a centre better than Nancy Plekanec! And Kovalev as captain? That's plain embarassing. If that happens, I have to wonder if Mickey Mouse is starting to run the show.

And $6M+? REALLY? That's atrocious man management.

yes, if we were to play hockey on June 30th, you'd be right.

but who plays hockey on June 30th?

I have no doubt in my mind that this won't be the picture on October 5th.

I also have some doubts that Plek might still be there.

A LOT can happen in the next few months... and if there is a team which is well positioned to do a lot of damanage on the trade and UFA front, it's the Habs. We are THE team which has the most caproom space coming in the summer.. while still being the top 3 in revenues...

so hint hint, get your calculator out, look at troubled teams like the Lightning, the Panters, etc... and tell me that we won't be a player this summer and that you REALLY are worried.

Add to that the fact that the cap is going down, some big players might even HAVE to unload, with the Habs being one of the few team able to "harbour" salary (both under the cap and on their budget)

off the top of my head :

Philly is tight. They won't be able to trade Brière... Who will be shipped?

TBay can't pay Lecavalier's 10M this season.

If the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, they'll have to cut further more salary.

going down the list, one by one, I found that :

Boston : 46M locked, Krejc and Kessel unsigned

Colorado : 43M no sakic, no goalie

Detroit is already over for next season (reduced cap) and Hossa, Hudler, Samuelson are not signed.

I stopped at D, if someone wants to do E-Z, feel free. but I think I made my point.

At this stage in the game I'd take anyone that can consistently force the play and score 5v5. The last thing this team needs is another perimeter softie that needs 4+ PPs per game in order to pad their stats and justify their paycheque.

A LOT can happen in the next few months... and if there is a team which is well positioned to do a lot of damanage on the trade and UFA front, it's the Habs. We are THE team which has the most caproom space coming in the summer.. while still being the top 3 in revenues...

There's certainly no discounting that. I'm sure if this actualy does come to pass then Bob will have something up his sleeve to attempt to get a centre or three. But Stream, the UFA market? Really? That's almost as laughable as Kovalev the Captain at $6M+. Since when does ANYONE notable come here as a UFA? No, we get 2nd tier guys at best. Or Samsonov. Yay.

As for trades, while I agree there's lots of opportunity out there, Bob has to have a dance partner to make it work. We can talk about all these available players all day long, but until he finds someone who wants what we have, it's all moot. And if he tries to make a trade after Koivu has walked and we have no discernable centre quality whatsoever, guess how much the asking price will go up. "Ahhhh, yeah Bob. Yer interested in this guy? Sure we can do a deal. Shame you have no centres. Heh heh. Whatever we agree on? Please remember to add an additional 1st rounder at minimum."

so hint hint, get your calculator out, look at troubled teams like the Lightning, the Panters, etc... and tell me that we won't be a player this summer and that you REALLY are worried.

Add to that the fact that the cap is going down, some big players might even HAVE to unload, with the Habs being one of the few team able to "harbour" salary (both under the cap and on their budget)

off the top of my head :

Philly is tight. They won't be able to trade Brière... Who will be shipped?

TBay can't pay Lecavalier's 10M this season.

If the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, they'll have to cut further more salary.

going down the list, one by one, I found that :

Boston : 46M locked, Krejc and Kessel unsigned

Colorado : 43M no sakic, no goalie

Detroit is already over for next season (reduced cap) and Hossa, Hudler, Samuelson are not signed.

I stopped at D, if someone wants to do E-Z, feel free. but I think I made my point.

That salary trouble gets worse next season for another 4-5 teams, which is why I wouldn't be devastated

if the Habs tinkered with the roster, retained cap flexibility and took a step back while implementing a

viable system.

Why would they make him captain, and then offer him only a 1 year deal!? This report makes absolutely NO sense what so ever!

Kovy will be lucky to get 7 million$ over 2 years from the Habs. I will continue to pray that the habs can come to an agreement with Komisarek soon. He should be our next captain!

Edited by Habsfan